Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#Brexit, lets do this

+26
kingstonlake
Cym Jim
NigelUno
Vlad
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
Nordic
Truth
Jethro Bodeen
The_Dude
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
tanfan!
DWags
Motown Spartan
pulling69
Tim Wakefield
tGreenWay
Cameron
GRR Spartan
xsanguine
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
tTy
30 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

#Brexit, lets do this - Page 6 Empty Re: #Brexit, lets do this

Post by tanfan! 2016-06-25, 09:55

I think it's awesome that my stock portfolio got hammered.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 10:03

It's going to be like Children of the Corn except it will be Millennials murdering Boomers, and OTPT will be Isaac.

Brexit is a middle finger from the baby boomers to young people like me
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12025954/brexit-young-voters-remain
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 15:05

As we all expected, there's already a movement afoot to take another bite at the bitter apple.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 15:21

Wah, wah, wah, we lost - we want a replay. Typical whine ass shit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 15:29

LooseGoose wrote:Wah, wah, wah, we lost - we want a replay. Typical whine ass shit.

Yeah, except it is not just the losers that want a do-over.

Unfortunately, Adam is not alone. Mandy Suthi, a student interviewed by the Evening Standard, said that if she could, she would go back to the polling station and change her vote to Remain.

"This morning the reality is actually hitting in and the regret is hitting in," she said. "I wish I had the opportunity to vote again, simply because I would do things differently."

While there has been no polling and the article just cites a few examples, I bet a lot of people who voted to leave the EU now regret their decision. They allowed emotion to get in the way of rational thinking. Some economists are forecasting the UK economy could contract by up to 8% in the next 10 years, which would amount to an average decline in per capita GDP of around $6400. And that is with the country remaining intact.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12024634/brexit-supporters-regret-vote
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 16:14

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Wah, wah, wah, we lost - we want a replay. Typical whine ass shit.

Yeah, except it is not just the losers that want a do-over.

Unfortunately, Adam is not alone. Mandy Suthi, a student interviewed by the Evening Standard, said that if she could, she would go back to the polling station and change her vote to Remain.

"This morning the reality is actually hitting in and the regret is hitting in," she said. "I wish I had the opportunity to vote again, simply because I would do things differently."

While there has been no polling and the article just cites a few examples, I bet a lot of people who voted to leave the EU now regret their decision. They allowed emotion to get in the way of rational thinking. Some economists are forecasting the UK economy could contract by up to 8% in the next 10 years, which would amount to an average decline in per capita GDP of around $6400. And that is with the country remaining intact.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12024634/brexit-supporters-regret-vote

They have nothing outside their word to verify how they voted - but of course we know people never lie about politics.

They've been forecasting doom and gloom, I'm not convinced.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 16:20

That's human nature.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-25, 16:51

The UK has different rules and laws. Our county's forefathers left and if King George III had not been an arrogant vindictive SOB and negotiated the US may have been part of a huge commonwealth that would have included Canada.

Cameron is resigning in Oct and there's an option to call a snap election that would take place in 30 days for the next PM.

Had the chance to dine with an American expat who works for a British think tank and has lived in London for 5-6 years. They thought the Brexit vote would be close but the Stay faction would prevail. Also said there was a lot of "Don't worry any repercussion talk is overblown being told to the voters leaning to vote Leave. They didn't think the people voting really understood the breadth and depth of the result of their vote. Also though the Stay vote would be so close the EU would revisit immigration to head off a Leave vote by another member.

Coming up on 48 hours after the vote a lot of voters are shocked what the US, China and Germany warned about is happening and happening fast. Toss in the possibility that both Scotland and Northern Ireland opt to join the EU in the next two years and the UK as we have known it will be gone.

We may have a smaller U.K. and the country will survive but as others have posted life in England and Wales will be no easier without the EU and if Dublin, Frankfort or Paris are successful in getting major US banks to relocate to EU countries from London it will take 10% out of the UK economy.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:02

GRR Spartan wrote:

The UK has different rules and laws. Our county's forefathers left and if King George III had not been an arrogant vindictive SOB and negotiated the US may have been part of a huge commonwealth that would have included Canada.

Cameron is resigning in Oct and there's an option to call a snap election that would take place in 30 days for the next PM.

Had the chance to dine with an American expat who works for a British think tank and has lived in London for 5-6 years. They thought the Brexit vote would be close but the Stay faction would prevail. Also said there was a lot of "Don't worry any repercussion talk is overblown being told to the voters leaning to vote Leave. They didn't think the people voting really understood the breadth and depth of the result of their vote. Also though the Stay vote would be so close the EU would revisit immigration to head off a Leave vote by another member.

Coming up on 48 hours after the vote a lot of voters are shocked what the US, China and Germany warned about is happening and happening fast. Toss in the possibility that both Scotland and Northern Ireland opt to join the EU in the next two years and the UK as we have known it will be gone.

We may have a smaller U.K. and the country will survive but as others have posted life in England and Wales will be no easier without the EU and if Dublin, Frankfort or Paris are successful in getting major US banks to relocate to EU countries from London it will take 10% out of the UK economy.

Some of that may be true but we don't know what benefits may come from it for the Brits.

PS - The banks ain't leaving London.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-25, 17:03

LooseGoose wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

Some of that may be true but we don't know what benefits may come from it for the Brits.

PS- the banks are already leaving London.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

PS- the banks are already leaving London.

Oh?

Link to banks actually leaving? I've seen the same thing a day or two ago . Today read that no vote related exits had actually occurred.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 17:14

Travis is right. JPM transferred Alastair, the 5th floor janitor, to Dublin.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-25, 17:14

Well it does take more than a day to move people's jobs internationally goose. Believe it or not. So it is plausible that they did not wake up on the morning of Friday, see that they voted to leave and then IMMEDIATELY moved the jobs. But if you want to believe that they'll stay, well, that's nice. They won't. But you can believe that.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html#axzz4CczsZngL
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:16

Still amazing to me that people are so upset with people voting for Liberty - I imagine the people of India were being told their country would go to hell too 70 years ago.

#Brexit, lets do this - Page 6 Giphy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Well it does take more than a day to move people's jobs internationally goose. Believe it or not. So it is plausible that they did not wake up on the morning of Friday, see that they voted to leave and then IMMEDIATELY moved the jobs. But if you want to believe that they'll stay, well, that's nice. They won't. But you can believe that.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html#axzz4CczsZngL

I find it had to believe that banks are going to en masse desert what has been one the 2 most important financial centers of the world for 100's of years. Sounds like overwrought bullshit to me. Time will tell.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-25, 17:21

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Well it does take more than a day to move people's jobs internationally goose. Believe it or not. So it is plausible that they did not wake up on the morning of Friday, see that they voted to leave and then IMMEDIATELY moved the jobs. But if you want to believe that they'll stay, well, that's nice. They won't. But you can believe that.

I find it had to believe that banks are going to en masse desert what has been one the 2 most important financial centers of the world for 100's of years. Sounds like overwrought bullshit to me. Time will tell.

Banks could give a fuck all about what is a financial center if they can save a dime. It's 2016. They don't really need to be in a specific place anyway, and these guys are egomaniacal enough to just go start a new financial center of it saves money. They don't care. They will absolutely leave.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:25

LooseGoose wrote:

I find it had to believe that banks are going to en masse desert what has been one the 2 most important financial centers of the world for 100's of years.  Sounds like overwrought bullshit to me.  Time will tell.

Banks could give a fuck all about what is a financial center if they can save a dime. It's 2016. They don't really need to be in a specific place anyway, and these guys are egomaniacal enough to just go start a new financial center of it saves money. They don't care. They will absolutely leave.

Perhaps.   But if the money savings were true why the hell are they still in London/Tokyo/New York City?   All among the most expensive cities in the world?   Why didn't they move to Birmingham, AL years ago?

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2016-06-25, 17:36; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-25, 17:27

Gary Johnson has my vote.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-25, 17:29

LooseGoose wrote:

Perhaps. But if the money savings were true why the hell are they still in London/Tokyo/New York City? All among the most expensive cities in the world? Why didn't they move to Birmingham, AL years ago?

Because if they moved to Birmingham AL then Birmingham AL would become among the most expensive cities in the world....
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 17:36

LooseGoose wrote:

Perhaps. But if the money savings were true why the hell are they still in London/Tokyo/New York City? All among the most expensive cities in the world? Why didn't they move to Birmingham, AL years ago?

Because if they moved to Birmingham AL then Birmingham AL would become among the most expensive cities in the world....

So moving saves them no money. Ok then.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-06-25, 17:48

LooseGoose wrote:

So moving saves them no money. Ok then.

Thats not what I said goose and you know it. There's this big variable called brexit that were presently discussing. If they save money by moving as a result of that variable then they will go. I can't tell you for sure that they will save money since I don't have access to that kind of information readily available, but based on them getting started on leaving, it sure seems like it.

Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-25, 17:53

Banks moving is a pre-emptive move to be able to do business from an EU country with other EU countries because of the commonality of regulations. Also allows their personnel to move more easily around the EU rather than losing how many man hours waiting in lines to go through customs.

The only reason I am interested is due to how the vote will affect US export business and its probable damping effect on the world economy.

The world is a different place than it was 40+ years ago and we have 2 generations of UK citizens (18-30 voters) who wanted to stay.

This week at least a portion of the UK voters learned hours or a day too late what their vote would actually do. They only have themselves to blame for what's happening.

They will lose at least a portion of their banking and London will take a step back from being the most important financial center in Europe. The real hurt will start if Scotland decides to leave the UK. Then they will be buying oil from Scotland and be losing another important part of their economy.

The big myth is they were taking their counrtry back. The UK opted for allowing more foreign workers and their EU reps were approved by the sitting government and voted as directed. They did send approx $15B to the EU every year and a portion of that went to support the Northern Ireland economy. Take away Scotland's oil revenue and the costs of having to re-do all those treaties and there is no guarantee Northern Ireland will be getting the same support from an independent UK.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-06-25, 18:03

Lol at the liberals losing it
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:07

The_Dude wrote:Lol at the liberals losing it

Links or examples of Liberals losing it, please.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:12

LooseGoose wrote:Still amazing to me that people are so upset with people voting for Liberty - I imagine the people of India were being told their country would go to hell too 70 years ago.

Would it trouble you to see the U.S.A. break apart?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 18:15

tGreenWay wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Lol at the liberals losing it

Links or examples of Liberals losing it, please.

He doesn't know what he is talking about. Move along.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 18:16

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Still amazing to me that people are so upset with people voting for Liberty - I imagine the people of India were being told their country would go to hell too 70 years ago.

If it means giving up Ann Arbor then let's break this place up!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:17

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If it means giving up Ann Arbor then let's break this place up!

Count me in. You hire the homeless to deliver the couches to A2, and I'll burn it to the ground.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 18:20

tGreenWay wrote:

Can I pick the countries?

WaOrCa - Seattle to Los Angeles and 20 miles inland. Sort of a Chile shaped country.

BoNyDC - Boston to Albany and down to the SW Corner of DC.

The NewNited States - the Rest of the Country.

Would prefer to get rid of Roc and WY but no one wants to be a country with them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-06-25, 18:26

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

WaOrCa - Seattle to Los Angeles and 20 miles inland. Sort of a Chile shaped country.

Would prefer to get rid of Roc and WY but no one wants to be a country with them.

I dig it
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:26

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Breakaway states that would go it alone. To regain their state's rights and reclaim their liberty. You don't get to pick and choose in this hypo.
BTW, I fully suspect sometime down the road the US will be Balkanized. That is, if the world population hasn't already been decimated by meteor or super volcano.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:27

Also, why do you hate so many Americans?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 18:30

tGreenWay wrote:Also, why do you hate so many Americans?

Disagreement is not hate my fruity friend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-25, 18:33

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Also, why do you hate so many Americans?

#Brexit, lets do this - Page 6 502811600 Just yanking your chain.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 18:39

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yes, and others here would assure that I was a lonely, angry, bitter, old man locked on tilt. When actually I'm merrily debating whether I should break my "man up challenge" to myself. I vowed I would go through this summer w/o using any A/C, but let me assure you today is taxing me. I may weaken.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-25, 18:48

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yes, and others here would assure that I was a lonely, angry, bitter, old man locked on tilt. When actually I'm merrily debating whether I should break my "man up challenge" to myself. I vowed I would go through this summer w/o using any A/C, but let me assure you today is taxing me. I may weaken.

Hey, you just sliced about $4T off the US GDP. Screw you, man.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-25, 18:55

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yes, and others here would assure that I was a lonely, angry, bitter, old man locked on tilt.   When actually I'm merrily debating whether I should break my "man up challenge" to myself.   I vowed I would go through this summer w/o using any A/C, but let me assure you today is taxing me.   I may weaken.

Hey, you just sliced about $4T off the US GDP. Screw you, man.

Yes, I would rather not turn into a third world country.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-06-25, 19:00

Could you explain the logic of your post?
India was part of the British Commonwealth, sought and gained independence after centuries of being conquered and then had their government run by British administrators.

The U.K. has voted to leave an economic union they willingly joined 43 years ago.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-25, 19:08

Isn't it interesting that the next PM could be a deep plant Russian spy born in America named Boris.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-25, 19:08

GRR Spartan wrote:

Could you explain the logic of your post?
India was part of the British Commonwealth, sought and gained independence after centuries of being conquered and then had their government run by British administrators.

The U.K. has voted to leave an economic union they willingly joined 43 years ago.

GR? I'm not trying to say the situations are identical except for this: Whenever a major change occurs there are predictions of doom and gloom. They don't always come true. I tend to fall on the side that people get too overwrought. Think Y2K.

A couple of interesting articles I read today:

A timeline and history of England/UK in the EU -

The European elite forgot that democracy is the one thing Britain holds most dear

A possible alternative:

Brexit boosts 'CANZUK' replacement for European Union: Column

However, Brexit may be a beneficial rebellion. Like Pruitt-Igoe, the European Union was a mid 50s invention that was created with the best of intentions and with the blessing of the best of social and political science of its time. It accomplished some good things at first but gradually accumulated more and more dysfunction of its own while expanding to take in more and more dysfunctional states.

Britain never fully committed to the European project, gradually accepting more and more costs while receiving fewer and fewer benefits from membership. Finally, the only argument that the "Remain" side in the referendum could summon was fear of the unknown. That was not enough.

Unlike the continental European states, Britain has always had another option. Far more of its trade was with overseas partnersthan was true of the continental states. Its ancient ties with America and the Commonwealth still counted for a large percentage of its trade and economic activity. No sooner had Cameron announced the victory of the Leave side today, then messages of support began arriving from Commonwealth prime ministerspromising closer ties and trade agreements. Although Britain always has and will continue to be an astute trader and financier of economies throughout the world, it has some special opportunities with the USA and its old Commonwealth partners.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next