Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread

+17
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
kingstonlake
Jake from State Farm
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
Senior Dickfist
Turtleneck
Big Ten Referee
Jaheab
Cym Jim
Biff Tannen
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rook
21 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-18, 19:59

Caught a nice 26" walleye on my U.P. trip. Got wood cut for the camp, replaced two toilets, hung a microwave, scouted a new hunting spot. Good time.

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-18, 20:04

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 69f2c510
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-08-18, 20:47

Fishing and wood chopping   tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 3493939353
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-18, 21:03

Let’s get a swill charter fishing trip in manistee together
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-24, 20:53

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — Scientists have traced the genetic makeup of lake trout, a feat that should boost efforts to rebuild populations of the prized fish in the Great Lakes and other North American waters where they’ve been hammered by invasive species, overfishing and pollution, officials said Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/genetic-mapping-boosts-hopes-for-restoring-prized-lake-trout/2021/08/24/419a5808-0535-11ec-b3c4-c462b1edcfc8_story.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-08-24, 20:57

I always thought lake trout were abundant. tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-08-25, 08:07

I'm going fishing on a party boat out of Cortez, Florida next week. Any tips so I can catch all the fish instead of the drunk guy standing right next to me catching them?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-08-25, 09:20

Jake from State Farm wrote:I'm going fishing on a party boat out of Cortez, Florida next week. Any tips so I can catch all the fish instead of the drunk guy standing right next to me catching them?

Wiggle yer jig
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-06-06, 10:58

Michigan Great Lakes: Expect lower waters, ample fish and a hot summer

Anglers will have plenty of opportunities this year, according to fisheries coordinators with the DNR. On Lake Michigan, there are plenty of coho and chinook salmon, said Jay Wesley, the lake’s basin coordinator.

“(The fisheries) had some really good survival of younger (fish) so both wild and hatchery fish should be available to anglers,” Wesley said.

Salmon are doing well because their prey, alewives, are back in large numbers, but yellow perch numbers are still down.

“There are some forks (of the lake) that do OK, though,” Wesley said.

On Lake Erie, anglers can expect a “really good fishery this year” with lots of walleye, said Jim Francis, the lake’s basin coordinator. Typically, anglers can catch walleye between June and July and come fall, the yellow perch fishery picks up.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-06-06, 12:16

Three Free Weekend

Free Fishing Weekend on June 11 & 12, 2022 is held in conjunction with "Three Free" weekend, where residents and nonresidents can grab a fishing rod, ride the off-road trails and visit state parks and boating access sites - all free of charge. During Free ORV Weekend, Michigan residents and visitors legally can ride without buying an ORV license or trail permit. All other ORV rules and laws still apply. For more information about Free ORV Weekends, visit Michigan.gov/ORVInfo.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-06-06, 16:00

[tw]1533901601534103552[/tw]

That thing looks like Wilford Brimley.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-06-06, 18:01

I don't think I would absolutely love fishing, but I have never been fishing. I would still like to try it.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-06-06, 18:04

Dendrobates wrote:I don't think I would absolutely love fishing,  but I have never been fishing. I would still like to try it.

After I started working full time, fishing became much less about catching fish and much more about relaxing on the water, especially during the day.

Edit: At this point, I’d probably release anything caught, anyway.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2022-06-06, 22:06

tGreenWay wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I don't think I would absolutely love fishing,  but I have never been fishing. I would still like to try it.

After I started working full time, fishing became much less about catching fish and much more about relaxing on the water, especially during the day.

I tried catch-and-release fishing about five years ago and I didn't like it. After catching a few fish, I felt like I was just fucking up their day. So if you're fishing for your dinner, that's fine. But putting a sharp hook through a fish's face for fun seems a bit sadistic to me. I love being on the water, the fish love being in the water, and now we coexist peacefully.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-06-06, 22:19

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I tried catch-and-release fishing about five years ago and I didn't like it. After catching a few fish, I felt like I was just fucking up their day. So if you're fishing for your dinner, that's fine. But putting a sharp hook through a fish's face for fun seems a bit sadistic to me. I love being on the water, the fish love being in the water, and now we coexist peacefully.

Totally get that, for the reason you gave. Plus, some fish swallow the bait whole and there’s no saving it, which would bum me out when I’m not fishing for dinner.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-07-13, 14:32

Michigan: Reduce size limit for northern pike in some lakes

Northern pike are smaller than they should be in some Michigan lakes, so the Department of Natural Resources wants to remove the minimum size limit to catch the fish in those waters.

The fish, a top predator in many Michigan waters, aren’t maturing well in 10 lakes, preventing them from reaching the 24-inch minimum state limit and leading to a population surge, according to Seth Herbest, the DNR’s aquatic species and regulatory affairs manager.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-07-13, 14:55

Bought me some waders and pulled out the old fly fishing stuff... IM BACK BABY! After a roughly 18 year pause as I raised children who couldn't care less about such things I am back flinging flies into trees again, beware if you are on the banks anywhere near me.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, kingstonlake and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-08-18, 09:36

Michigan aims to revive Arctic grayling. But first, where to put them?

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-18, 09:45

Floyd Robertson wrote: Michigan aims to revive Arctic grayling. But first, where to put them?

Seems like I've been reading this same article since 1990.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-08-18, 10:25

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote: Michigan aims to revive Arctic grayling. But first, where to put them?

Definitely the last two years. Beyond that I wouldn't have been paying attention.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-08-18, 11:44

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Lol. True. True.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-08-18, 11:45

Kings we’re hitting in the bay this morning during my walk down town. I could see them pulling a couple in. I guess I was surprised at the volume of boats so near the shore in the bay. It was 6:30ish I always think in terms of Lake Michigan in colder water. It’s been years.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-08-18, 12:23

Caught a nice size smallmouth bass shore fishing at Rogers City last weekend. Lots of boats east of the calcite mine trying their luck on salmon.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Nordic and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-08-18, 17:25

DWags wrote:Kings we’re hitting in the bay this morning during my walk down town. I could see them pulling a couple in. I guess I was surprised at the volume of boats so near the shore in the bay. It was 6:30ish I always think in terms of Lake Michigan in colder water. It’s been years.
Remember the discussion in the camping thread about the "upwelling" in Lake Michigan last week? Water near shore got cooler and is bringing the fish with it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-08-18, 18:28

Jake from State Farm wrote:Caught a nice size smallmouth bass shore fishing at Rogers City last weekend. Lots of boats east of the calcite mine trying their luck on salmon.

Probably the nautical festival tournament? Weekends are pretty busy on my otherwise quiet road. Lots of guys launching out of Thompson harbor. Used to be great fishing when I was kid but I don’t think it’s quite as good as it use to be.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-08-18, 18:40

I’ll take one.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-08-18, 18:52

DWags wrote:Kings we’re hitting in the bay this morning during my walk down town. I could see them pulling a couple in. I guess I was surprised at the volume of boats so near the shore in the bay. It was 6:30ish I always think in terms of Lake Michigan in colder water. It’s been years.

You probably could’ve caught a few little kings at TJ’s. tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 2267303065
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-01-13, 12:40

Who is going to be shocked by this?

[tw]1613953539470159872[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-01-13, 20:14

Frankly, I thought smelt disappeared from lake Huron decades ago.
Isn't that what lead to the salmon going away?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-01-13, 21:18

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Frankly, I thought smelt disappeared from lake Huron decades ago.

alewives
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-13, 21:44

Nordic wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Frankly, I thought smelt disappeared from lake Huron decades ago.

alewives

https://www.recordpatriot.com/news/article/Returning-alewives-good-sign-for-Lake-Michigan-17223398.php
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-27, 10:08

Artificial reefs bring wild lake trout to Lake Huron

The ecological success of artificial reefs in Lake Huron’s Thunder Bay could teach people how to restore fish populations across the world.

Ellen Marsden, a fisheries and wildlife expert from the University of Vermont, spearheaded the construction of 29 reefs built with small stones – cobble aggregate – in Thunder Bay in 2010.

“The goal was to create a space for baby trout,” Marsden said.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-27, 10:59

How many Thunder Bays are there? The only one I’m familiar with is on Lake Superior, not Huron.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-27, 11:06

tGreenWay wrote:How many Thunder Bays are there? The only one I’m familiar with is on Lake Superior, not Huron.

Thunder Bay in Lake Huron is the bay upon which Alpena sits.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-27, 11:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:How many Thunder Bays are there? The only one I’m familiar with is on Lake Superior, not Huron.

Oh, that’s Kingston’s turf. That doesn’t count. tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-03-27, 11:23

Floyd Robertson wrote: Artificial reefs bring wild lake trout to Lake Huron

The ecological success of artificial reefs in Lake Huron’s Thunder Bay could teach people how to restore fish populations across the world.

Ellen Marsden, a fisheries and wildlife expert from the University of Vermont, spearheaded the construction of 29 reefs built with small stones – cobble aggregate – in Thunder Bay in 2010.

“The goal was to create a space for baby trout,” Marsden said.

Ba-by Trout doo doo doo doo doo doo…
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-03-27, 12:22

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Oh, that’s Kingston’s turf. That doesn’t count. tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 1494614055
tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

You son of a bitch!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-29, 15:39

2 men accused of stuffing fish with weights at Ohio contest plead guilty to cheating

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 502811600 tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 502811600

Walleye tournament is fishy business
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-29, 16:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:2 men accused of stuffing fish with weights at Ohio contest plead guilty to cheating

tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 502811600 tOfficial Swill Fishing Thread - Page 3 502811600

I expect them to get a heavy sentence.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-29, 16:56

Floyd Robertson wrote:2 men accused of stuffing fish with weights at Ohio contest plead guilty to cheating

This sends a message that I hope scales back cheaters.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next