Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+35
Dr. Strangelove
Nordic
steveschneider
Cameron
aualum06
Floyd Robertson
I.B. Fine
Death Roe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
CORNER BLITZ
SawGreen
Da Mayor
AnomanderRake
The Pantry
Space Lord
NigelUno
Tim Wakefield
Clarett's Folly
Free Plax
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
Stymie2000
CheesySpartan
DWags
Herbie Green
xsanguine
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
MattyFresh
39 posters

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-27, 08:16

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Did someone Steve Harvey the Oscars last night? I saw on my news feed they had to apologize for naming the wrong movie for best picture. Oops.

Someone gave Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway the wrong card to read for Best Picture.

Moonlight actually won, but he announced La La Land. He was given Emma Stone's card for winning Best Actress for La La Land. tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 4 502811600

La La Land's cast was up there, one guy was saying his acceptance speech then goes "Well nevermind, we actually lost!"

One of the Oscar goons walks up to the mic, and tells the Moonlight cast/crew to come up. They won BP and he had to tell them it wasn't a joke.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-02-27, 08:29

Death Roe wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Did someone Steve Harvey the Oscars last night? I saw on my news feed they had to apologize for naming the wrong movie for best picture. Oops.

Someone gave Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway the wrong card to read for Best Picture.

Moonlight actually won, but he announced La La Land. He was given Emma Stone's card for winning Best Actress for La La Land. tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 4 502811600

La La Land's cast was up there, one guy was saying his acceptance speech then goes "Well nevermind, we actually lost!"

One of the Oscar goons walks up to the mic, and tells the Moonlight cast/crew to come up. They won BP and he had to tell them it wasn't a joke.
I'm certainly no expert.. but it seems like if you knew you were giving an award for Best Picture and the card said "Emma Stone", you'd think something was up..

unless, of course, there was a movie called "Emma Stone" up for Best Picture - in which case, chaos would reign supreme.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-02-27, 08:33

According to the internet reports, Leo messed the cards up. There were TWO Emma Stone Best Actress cards for some reason.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-02-27, 10:05

Another Oscar 2017 gaffe.

Oscars: Australian Producer Jan Chapman Devastated by Mistaken In-Memoriam Photo

Leading Australian producer, Jan Chapman was “devastated” by another mistake in the Oscars telecast.

Janet Patterson, an Australian costume designer and four-time Oscar nominee (“The Piano,” “Portrait of a Lady,” “Oscar and Lucinda” and “Bright Star”) passed away in October 2015.

Her name and occupation were correct in the montage, but the photo used was of Jan Chapman, a still-living Australian film producer.

Oops.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-02, 11:46

So, I'm fucking jacked for Kong: Skull Island next week.

I loved the new Godzilla reboot, and have always been a fan of monster movies (Jurassic Park is one of my all-time favs, if not number one).

I saw the leaked after-credits scene online, and it shows what people thought anyways: Kong and Godzilla are in the same universe. It also showed Mothra, Ghidorah, etc.

SOOO pumped!
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-03-02, 13:29

You see a lot of movies DR. I wish I had the time. My wife and I usually pick one movie, maybe 2 a year to go to.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-02, 14:27

Death Roe wrote:So, I'm fucking jacked for Kong: Skull Island next week.

I loved the new Godzilla reboot, and have always been a fan of monster movies (Jurassic Park is one of my all-time favs, if not number one).

I saw the leaked after-credits scene online, and it shows what people thought anyways: Kong and Godzilla are in the same universe. It also showed Mothra, Ghidorah, etc.

SOOO pumped!

Seeing John C Reilly in anything but comedy now throws things off for me but the CGI looks insane.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-02, 14:31

InTenSity wrote:You see a lot of movies DR. I wish I had the time. My wife and I usually pick one movie, maybe 2 a year to go to.
Does that include kids movies? My wife and I never go to the movies, just the two of us. I could count on one hand the number of movies we've been to without my daughter, in the nearly 11 years since she was born. Not that we couldn't if we want to, but we'd usually rather see something we can all watch. Fortunately, the last few years that choice has expanded as she's gotten older. Prior to having a kid, we would see almost everything (BIL worked in a theater, so we'd never pay a dime).

Now I see ads for movies that look interesting, but not appropriate for a kid, and I try to make a mental note to watch it when it's on video or HBO...and then I usually forget that mental note and never think of them again.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-03-02, 14:54

MiamiSpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:You see a lot of movies DR. I wish I had the time. My wife and I usually pick one movie, maybe 2 a year to go to.
Does that include kids movies? My wife and I never go to the movies, just the two of us. I could count on one hand the number of movies we've been to without my daughter, in the nearly 11 years since she was born. Not that we couldn't if we want to, but we'd usually rather see something we can all watch. Fortunately, the last few years that choice has expanded as she's gotten older. Prior to having a kid, we would see almost everything (BIL worked in a theater, so we'd never pay a dime).

Now I see ads for movies that look interesting, but not appropriate for a kid, and I try to make a mental note to watch it when it's on video or HBO...and then I usually forget that mental note and never think of them again.
Hah! You're right about the kids. I've seen Moana, and my wife has seen Trolls. I'm not sure how many times Minions has played in our house, at least Hotel Transylvania 2 is something new. I did get to see SW: Rogue One, which I really liked, I think the last movie we saw was SW:A Force Awakens, although I did go one night to see Deadpool, if that came out last year.
We rent a lot from RedBox, if there's anything worth watching.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-02, 17:23

InTenSity wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Does that include kids movies?  My wife and I never go to the movies, just the two of us.  I could count on one hand the number of movies we've been to without my daughter, in the nearly 11 years since she was born.  Not that we couldn't if we want to, but we'd usually rather see something we can all watch.  Fortunately, the last few years that choice has expanded as she's gotten older.  Prior to having a kid, we would see almost everything (BIL worked in a theater, so we'd never pay a dime).

Hah! You're right about the kids. I've seen Moana, and my wife has seen Trolls. I'm not sure how many times Minions has played in our house, at least Hotel Transylvania 2 is something new. I did get to see SW: Rogue One, which I really liked, I think the last movie we saw was SW:A Force Awakens, although I did go one night to see Deadpool, if that came out last year.
We rent a lot from RedBox, if there's anything worth watching.
My daughter's at that age where she still likes the animated movies, but likes a lot of adventure/action movies, as well.  We won't let her see R movies yet, though, regardless of why it's R, and we evaluate PG-13 movies on a case-by-case basis, usually after googling "imdb parents guide <movie name>" and reading why it's PG-13.  

Parenthood has made me wish that the studios would release DVDs with the TV versions of movies.  The versions with certain bits edited for regular TV.  I used to watch movies like Airplane and Caddyshack all the time as a kid, and never knew until I was in high school that they've got bouncing boobies and other things not suited for kids that were cut out when they were shown on TV.  I know my daughter would love those (the edited versions of movies, not the bouncing boobies - NTTAWWT).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-04, 15:13

Deadpool 2 teaser. LMAO

Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-04, 18:15

Death Roe wrote:Deadpool 2 teaser. LMAO

Where's Clint Eastwood?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-05, 15:33

Logan was A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

One of the best superhero movies ever made. It didn't really feel like a superhero film.

First time I've felt that way since The Dark Knight.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-11, 20:37

Watched Kong: SkullFuck Island today. It was pretty rad. Good, fun, kick-ass monster movie.

Watching Frailty right now. I've never seen it before, sadly.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-03-11, 23:26

Just got done with hacksaw ridge. Another great movie about American exceptionalism that died about 80 years ago. Show me this same film in Vietnam or Iraq. Whatever I don't feel great about America after watching this. Show me the story of the guy who married his sweetheart, but then died during the war and this country told his spouse that they don't give a Fuck about their kids and left them in poverty you a life of crime.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-11, 23:31

InTenSity wrote:Just got done with hacksaw ridge. Another great movie about American exceptionalism that died about 80 years ago. Show me this same film in Vietnam or Iraq. Whatever I don't feel great about America after watching this. Show me the story of the guy who married his sweetheart, but then died during the war and this country told his spouse that they don't give a Fuck about their kids and left them in poverty you a life of crime.
You alright?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-03-11, 23:45

Death Roe wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Just got done with hacksaw ridge. Another great movie about American exceptionalism that died about 80 years ago. Show me this same film in Vietnam or Iraq. Whatever I don't feel great about America after watching this. Show me the story of the guy who married his sweetheart, but then died during the war and this country told his spouse that they don't give a Fuck about their kids and left them in poverty you a life of crime.
You alright?
I'm good. What part did I get wrong?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-12, 00:19

I'm like 3/4 through hacksaw. It's alright. Kind of cheesy. Too much religion shit as well.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-12, 23:49

The Big Short
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-03-19, 01:43

Get Out was fucking phenomenal. Bravo Jordan Peele.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-19, 15:34

Season 2 of Hap and Leonard started this week on Sundance. I feel bad for you if you never heard of it, but you can catch up by watching season 1 on Netflix. Very good dark dramedy.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Plax 2017-03-19, 16:10

If you dig good TV and can handle subtitles, Walter Presents just became available in the US. Streaming service that has been available in the U.K. for a couple years, it specializes in International television. $6.99 a month.

I've seen some of the shows currently available through WP and would recommend...

Spin - French political thriller.

Trouble in The Water - Scandinavian Bloodline-like thriller.

Magnifica 70 - crazy Brazilian drama.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/walter-presents-streams-us/411570
Free Plax
Free Plax
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-19, 16:30

XX, an anthology of female driven horror movie segments by four women.

20 minute vinettes. Kind of weird but was different.

Rented it last night with the wife, we gave it a thumbs sideways.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-19, 16:55

Watched Chris Hardwick's year-old standup last night on Comedy Central. Raunchy and funny.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-03-21, 09:20

Started watching Iron Fist on Netflix with my 11 year-old. He's really into it but my god can it be stupid at times. This dude is supposed to be some super hero warrior and he acts like he has the mental capacity of an 8 year-old. Also the show is roughly 80% of him running his family business and its associated affairs.
A typical episode is roughly 45 minutes exploring this guy's business ventures and 10 minutes of kung fu action. I cannot recommend it but I can see the appeal as to why some people like it.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-21, 12:43

gHost Spartan wrote:Just got back from Beauty and the Beast (3D) and I gotta say, it was a wonderful film. Emma Watson wasn't the Belle that I had envisioned when I first saw the animal picture, and she was really the only issue I had with the film's casting. But Luke Evans knocked it out of the park as the narcissistic Gaston and the animated characters were very well done and interacted quite nicely with the live cast. The film stayed very true to the original animated feature film and many extra songs seemed to be included, which added to the film's temp. Overall, I'd rate this film a solid 8/10 stars and highly recommend it. Unfortunately my almost 4 year old daughter fell asleep during the middle but woke up in the end which is a good thing (I don't want to include any spoilers).

We took my daughter Sunday afternoon before the MSU game, and I pretty much agree. I was kind of meh on Emma Watson going in (I don't mind her, but am not a big fan, maybe because I was a little old for the Harry Potter phenomenon, where boys grew up loving her), but she did well, and sang better than I expected. Gaston was good, as was the Beast. Didn't realize until the end that Ewan McGregor was the candlestick and Ian McKellen was the clock. So kind of funny that among the 5-6 most major characters they had the Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars franchises represented.

At the risk of hurting whatever Swill street cred I may have, I will admit that the cartoon version of Beauty and The Beast is probably the only Disney princess movie that I always liked. Maybe it's good memories of watching it college a couple of times with a great girl, but I remember thinking that the Beast was pretty bad ass, it had some decent action and the songs were really well done. Never minded watching that with my daughter when she was younger. So I thought this was a very nice live-action re-make. As gHost said, it stayed pretty true to the animated version.

I still very much enjoy plenty of blood and guts, shoot em up action movies and shows, so don't knock my Swill cred down too much.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-21, 20:39

The Accountant should have won picture of the year, best actor and best supporting actor.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-03-21, 21:31

Just got done watching the new Chapelle comedy special on Netflix. I think he is an anti-vaxxer which made me go, "What the fuck dude?" But it was mostly pretty funny.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-24, 15:45

Holy shit you guys this is going to be great.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 4 Whiteb10
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2017-03-24, 15:46

Detroits King Rat!
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-28, 18:03

If anyone else here has been watching HBO's Big Little Lies, does it suck or am I missing something? Aside from the 3-4 times that Nicole Kidman's rack has been featured, I've found it pretty boring. There's some big payoff coming, but meh.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-29, 05:13

Based on how many times I've seen a promo for this new Jenna Elfman sitcom I think it's safe to say it will be bad. Very bad.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-03-29, 09:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:If anyone else here has been watching HBO's Big Little Lies, does it suck or am I missing something? Aside from the 3-4 times that Nicole Kidman's rack has been featured, I've found it pretty boring. There's some big payoff coming, but meh.

Seemed like a chick flick to me. Never watched one minute of it. When does the new season Silicon Valley start?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-29, 09:28

It is a chick flick show. GF watches it when I don't have anything to watch on the big TV.

It is so fucking boring and so dumb.

Although I did get her hooked on Leftovers....:rockon:
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-29, 09:30

Pylon, Silicon Valley starts April 23 at 10PM, after Leftovers.

Leftovers premieres the week before.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-29, 09:30

I figured it was going to be some homicide thing.  It's going to happen, but damn is it taking a long, boring circuitous route.  Only question is how many and who.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-29, 12:37

Death Roe wrote:It is a chick flick show. GF watches it when I don't have anything to watch on the big TV.

It is so fucking boring and so dumb.

Although I did get her hooked on Leftovers....:rockon:
Yeah, tWife watches it, but I never have. She did tell me about the recent tennis racket scene, which was painful enough to hear. That sure as shit isn't going to get me to watch it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-03-30, 23:50

If it ain't about subversion, it doesn't deserve to be watched...

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-04-04, 14:03

gHost, when is your review coming for Jewel's Hallmark movie "Framed for Murder: A Fixer Upper Mystery"?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-09, 00:31

Watching Avatar for the first time. Not really my cup of tea in general but I like it so far. I'm about an hour in.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next