Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+16
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Probably CF
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
Rocinante
NigelUno
Pervis Muldoon
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
20 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread Empty tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 27 Oct 2021 - 20:29

tGreenWay wrote:And Miami, since you enjoy Cold War spy stuff, have you watched Spy City? I’m enjoying it so far.
And then there’s The Courier, w/Benedict Cumberbunbatch. The true story of how a civilian salesman was recruited by MI6 and the CIA to pick up info from a Russian source. All that info helped the US when it stood its ground against Khrushchev during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Been meaning to bump this, as I've watched both of these in recent weeks. Good recos, Greenway.

Spy City was solid. I like the tie in with actual events. I hope they get renewed. Would be cool if they tie in with other real life events.

I liked The Courier, too. I think the basics are pretty historically accurate, though a lot of the details aren't publicly known. There's a Polish movie, Jack Strong, that is on Prime, that is a almost like a sequel. It's the true story of a Polish spy that was close with the Soviet military and passed secrets to the CIA. It starts with a scene involving Penkovsky that would have been shortly after the end of The Courier.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by tGreenWay Wed 27 Oct 2021 - 20:41

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:And Miami, since you enjoy Cold War spy stuff, have you watched Spy City? I’m enjoying it so far.
And then there’s The Courier, w/Benedict Cumberbunbatch. The true story of how a civilian salesman was recruited by MI6 and the CIA to pick up info from a Russian source. All that info helped the US when it stood its ground against Khrushchev during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Been meaning to bump this, as I've watched both of these in recent weeks. Good recos, Greenway.

Spy City was solid. I like the tie in with actual events. I hope they get renewed. Would be cool if they tie in with other real life events.

I liked The Courier, too. I think the basics are pretty historically accurate, though a lot of the details aren't publicly known. There's a Polish movie, Jack Strong, that is on Prime, that is a almost like a sequel. It's the true story of a Polish spy that was close with the Soviet military and passed secrets to the CIA. It starts with a scene involving Penkovsky that would have been shortly after the end of The Courier.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to watching it. tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread 55953254
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Nordic Sat 6 Nov 2021 - 2:31

Just finished Finch. God dammit. That one hit me pretty hard.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat 6 Nov 2021 - 8:30

Nordic wrote:Just finished Finch. God dammit. That one hit me pretty hard.
It's usually when the dog dies a movie bombs.

Anyway, watched it last night too. Pretty good movie, we are all fucked.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 20:44

Anyone ever watched this? Hadn’t heard of it until reading this article, yet season 3 just aired early this a.m.

Move over, 'Ted Lasso.' Joe Pera brings humanity to quirky Adult Swim comedy set in U.P.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2021/11/07/joe-pera-michigan-set-comedy-ted-lasso-heart/6246274001/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon 8 Nov 2021 - 22:53

I enjoyed the first episode of the Dexter reboot last night on Showtime. It was good, but none of the new supporting characters really stood out. It could have used a Masuka appearance.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 9 Nov 2021 - 11:40

tGreenWay wrote:Anyone ever watched this? Hadn’t heard of it until reading this article, yet season 3 just aired early this a.m.

Move over, 'Ted Lasso.' Joe Pera brings humanity to quirky Adult Swim comedy set in U.P.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/television/2021/11/07/joe-pera-michigan-set-comedy-ted-lasso-heart/6246274001/
Earliest Joe Pera is awesome... the rest is ok. It's something to be experienced, hard to explain.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 9 Nov 2021 - 11:42

new youtube.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 10 Nov 2021 - 15:11

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread DaRQRr7lAleptJpDZDkEDcf6xbk6E3EciLd5gasZajFpOUj1peEIiJqujnbpypXdNX4JGLPCGKye0JGXbW4TF-6s9y33d42wzCtDePtyldFhu21Vu5TmgpJ9qTY6ZtacmWDi_LDN
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 10 Nov 2021 - 20:39

Sorry is that something you just get or you don’t?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 10 Nov 2021 - 20:51

Rocinante wrote:Sorry is that something you just get or you don’t?

Who are you talking to, brodawg?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 11 Nov 2021 - 0:55

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Sorry is that something you just get or you don’t?

Guessing the hot cocoa guy
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 11 Nov 2021 - 19:02

Train to Busan on prime. 2 thumbs up. Korean zombies.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 19 Nov 2021 - 22:52

Happy Boxing Day

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 19 Nov 2021 - 23:16

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Guessing the hot cocoa guy

Yes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 26 Nov 2021 - 17:31

Halfway through King Richard. I knew there was a backstory to the Williams’ sisters’ rise, but I didn’t know what it was. This is a really interesting watch.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat 27 Nov 2021 - 14:51

Live action Cowboy Beebop on Netflix is pretty entertaining. (I never watched the adult swim one.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sat 27 Nov 2021 - 15:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Live action Cowboy Beebop on Netflix is pretty entertaining. (I never watched the adult swim one.)
I'm on the 5th episode. I'm enjoying it.
Hellbound is interesting through 2 episodes.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 29 Nov 2021 - 15:15

Cyber Monday alert: If anyone is a T-Mobile customer, you can get Paramount+ for free for 1 year. I believe it applies whether you are a new or current Paramount + subscriber.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/paramount-plus-deal
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 29 Nov 2021 - 15:29

Remember that old movie "Going in Style" withe George Burns & Art Carney?

Skip the recent remake with Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman & Alan Arkin. You'll want your one an a half hours back.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 19:40

Who’s going to watch Kurt Warner the movie starring Shazam?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 22:03

West Side Story = certified Spielberg banger
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 22:13

I wish WBH was around, need to talk Succession with him
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 15 Dec 2021 - 23:40

I just finished it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Probably CF Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 0:06

Rocinante wrote:Who’s going to watch Kurt Warner the movie starring Shazam?
Is it just me or does that movie’s trailer seem to have a whole faith-based veneer to it?
Probably CF
Probably CF
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 1:32

It’s not just you. But he was (I assume still is) a super duper religious guy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 2:20

Death Roe wrote:I wish WBH was around, need to talk Succession with him

I’ll be your huckleberry.
Logan
Never
Loses

Tom surprised me in the last episode.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 2:50

Waterworld is on right now. Damn, Jeanne Tripplehorn was a good looking woman on her younger years.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 14:38

Heard an interview with Kieran Caulkin on Terry Gross the other day. Wasn’t impressed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 14:39

Death Roe wrote:I wish WBH was around, need to talk Succession with him

I’ll put Mrs. GreenWay on the phone. She’s the Succession viewer in our clan. You two can hash things out.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 14:40

InTenSity wrote:I just finished it.

That’s what she said.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 16 Dec 2021 - 14:41

Rocinante wrote:Heard an interview with Kieran Caulkin on Terry Gross the other day. Wasn’t impressed.

You get points for listening to Terry Gross. She gets great guests but something about her voice bugs the shit out of me. She gets a no from me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 11 Jan 2022 - 18:44

Overall disappointed with No Time to Die. Bummed this is Craig’s last, because the story did him no favors.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 12 Jan 2022 - 19:31

Starting Succession... man what shitty people.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 12 Jan 2022 - 20:15

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Starting Succession... man what shitty people.

solid show though
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 12 Jan 2022 - 22:23

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Starting Succession... man what shitty people.

Wife really likes the series. But yeah, def awful humans.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 2:14

Raylan Givens is coming back in a Justified limited series. Timothy Olyphant will return, and this time the show will take place in Detroit. It'll be based on Elmore Leonard's novel, City Primeval: High Noon In Detroit.

I don't think anyone has done Elmore Leonard's work better than the makers of the original Justified series, though the movie Out of Sight was close.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Floyd Robertson, WhiteBoyHatcher and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat 15 Jan 2022 - 9:43

Love me some Elmore Leonard... and if I remember that book, it is a metro-Detroit ending.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun 16 Jan 2022 - 18:00

Power of the Dog is a very weird and not so good movie, IMHO. I still can't get over Kirsten Dunst and Jessie Plemmons being a thing.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 17 Jan 2022 - 16:46

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard is pretty much a shoot ‘em up, swear- and snark a lot movie. It’s exactly what you expect going in, but with even less depth than the original, The Hitman’s Bodyguard. Kind of fun to watch when there’s nothing else on and the weather outside is crappy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next