Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower.

+14
CheesySpartan
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
The_Dude
InTenSity
kingstonlake
tanfan!
Blanch32
By-Tor
NigelUno
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. Empty Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower.

Post by DWags Sun 12 Mar - 22:36

If you're a committee member, would you actually do that to a 6, 5, or 4 seed? It's like many of us think the committee is being nice to MSU at 9. I have always thought they think of seeds 1-6 or 7 and say lets be nice to them.

MSU is a team that isn't going to win a NC but they sure as hell can beat you. Arizona, Baylor for 2/3'rds of the game, we can get a Purdue, we beat a NW, beat Michigan at a 7, We beat Wisconsin at a 6. Why should the committee screw those teams by placing them against an average MSU team but one who can get hot and beat a good team. Especially giving one of the most successful coaches in the NCAA tournament history a week to prepare for you.

Do you alway think it's placing the 9 seed at th e9 seed or is it thinking they dont' want to screw the 4, 5, 6, 7 seeds on the first night? I don't know that they consider that, but it's always been my thought process.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. Empty Re: Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower.

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 12 Mar - 22:51

If a team can't beat "a team" then they shouldn't be in the tournament at all dwags.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. Empty Re: Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower.

Post by Herbie Green Sun 12 Mar - 22:57

Quick question lol
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun 12 Mar - 23:02

Quick question:

Can a guy who said we'd be in the NIT, now pick us to make the Sweet 16?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 12 Mar - 23:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If a team can't beat "a team" then they shouldn't be in the tournament at all dwags.

So, how would that work exactly? Do we cut the tournament back down to 16? Or does S.Dakota State, Texas So, N. Kentucky really have a chance?

Of course they have a 1% chance or whatever, but once again, just answer a question. Do you really think the committee always seeds the 9 team there because they're a 9 team. Or do you think they see a team like MSU who plays in a tough conference has some decent wins and says they shouldn't place them lower because it's not as fair to the 7,6,5 teams? If you don't think the committee has that thought process say so, but I've always thought that way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 12 Mar - 23:23

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If a team can't beat "a team" then they shouldn't be in the tournament at all dwags.

So, how would that work exactly? Do we cut the tournament back down to 16? Or does S.Dakota State, Texas So, N. Kentucky really have a chance?

Of course they have a 1% chance or whatever, but once again, just answer a question. Do you really think the committee always seeds the 9 team there because they're a 9 team. Or do you think they see a team like MSU who plays in a tough conference has some decent wins and says they shouldn't place them lower because it's not as fair to the 7,6,5 teams? If you don't think the committee has that thought process say so, but I've always thought that way.

If a team can't beat a team then they shouldn't be an at large bid* to the tournament dwags.

Seriously though. Any at large team has demonstrated at least some competence at basketball. And given the nature of 18-22 year old athletes (short of playing 09 UNC or something) they should at least have some potential ability to beat the other team, especially if the other team is only a 4, 5, 6 seed. That means they have some serious flaws themselves
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sun 12 Mar - 23:43

This seems really interesting and I would like to participate in this discussion. But can someone explain what the hell Dwags is talking about?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Sun 12 Mar - 23:46

The committee def likes putting power 5 schools in the 8/9 slot. Usually an underachieving team or a non traditional hoops school.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 12 Mar - 23:52

By-Tor wrote:The committee def likes putting power 5 schools in the 8/9 slot. Usually an underachieving team or a non traditional hoops school.

It's why I had us down for a 9 from the get go. I thought we'd be in, but we just aren't that good. at the same time do you really want to screw a 4,5, 6 or 7 by having MSU show up on their line on the first night? It does seem they put a ton of 9 teams there who are from a power conference, have shown signs, but just aren't that great this year. MSU fit that
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 12 Mar - 23:53

Herbie Green wrote:This seems really interesting and I would like to participate in this discussion. But can someone explain what the hell Dwags is talking about?

Sorry herb. I really can't break it down any further. It's my fault not yours. I have to find a better way to communicate.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Sun 12 Mar - 23:56

DWags wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:This seems really interesting and I would like to participate in this discussion. But can someone explain what the hell Dwags is talking about?

Sorry herb. I really can't break it down any further. It's my fault not yours. I have to find a better way to communicate.

So are you are saying MSU is this super power team and they put us as an 8/9 so we could match up against a 1 for ratings?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Mon 13 Mar - 0:13

Izzo was a 10 seed twice - in 2002 and 2011. Both times MSU lost in the first round. That is the lowest seed Izzo ever had.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 13 Mar - 0:35

Herbie Green wrote:
DWags wrote:

So are you are saying MSU is this super power team and they put us as an 8/9 so we could match up against a 1 for ratings?

No
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Mon 13 Mar - 0:45

DWags wrote:If you're a committee member, would you actually do that to a 6, 5, or 4 seed? It's like many of us think the committee is being nice to MSU at 9. I have always thought they think of seeds 1-6 or 7 and say lets be nice to them.

MSU is a team that isn't going to win a NC but they sure as hell can beat you. Arizona, Baylor for 2/3'rds of the game, we can get a Purdue, we beat a NW, beat Michigan at a 7, We beat Wisconsin at a 6. Why should the committee screw those teams by placing them against an average MSU team but one who can get hot and beat a good team. Especially giving one of the most successful coaches in the NCAA tournament history a week to prepare for you.

Do you alway think it's placing the 9 seed at th e9 seed or is it thinking they dont' want to screw the 4, 5, 6, 7 seeds on the first night? I don't know that they consider that, but it's always been my thought process.

Can old dudes still get get whiskey dick or isomething it just pre game penis?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Mon 13 Mar - 4:46

Herbie Green wrote:Izzo was a 10 seed twice - in 2002 and 2011.   Both times MSU lost in the first round.  That is the lowest seed Izzo ever had.

I fully expect this team Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. 2599972566 to go down in the first round so I won't be watching.  Don't care.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Mon 13 Mar - 4:58

Please stop posting
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon 13 Mar - 7:05

You're over thinking this wags.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Mon 13 Mar - 7:08

gHost Spartan wrote:
tanfan! wrote:

I fully expect this team Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. 2599972566 to go down in the first round so I won't be watching.  Don't care.
Why do you always say that you won't be watching but really you will be watching?

It's either a thursday or Friday day game, so I will be at work. So will you. Will you be watching on your computer in the office? I think I have watched maybe two complete hours of MSU hoops the entire season. I've seen snippets on you tube and watched 5 minutes here and there only to get disgusted and turn it off and go to my go to See yes to the Dress. It drives people like Mufffy crazy.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 13 Mar - 8:06

tanfan! wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote: Why do you always say that you won't be watching but really you will be watching?

It's either a thursday or Friday day game, so I will be at work. So will you. Will you be watching on your computer in the office? I think I have watched maybe two complete hours of MSU hoops the entire season. I've seen snippets on you tube and watched 5 minutes here and there only to get disgusted and turn it off and go to my go to See yes to the Dress. It drives people like Mufffy crazy.
Tip off will probably be after 8pm on Friday night, maybe even closer to 9 or 9:30.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 13 Mar - 11:28

Wags, what part of teams WANT to play MSU this year don't you understand?

We are shit away from home and have an undermanned roster.

Beating Miami is as good as it gets this year. At least we play really late Friday. Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. 1486952199
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon 13 Mar - 12:19

The_Dude wrote:Wags, what part of teams WANT to play MSU this year don't you understand?

Beating Miami is as good as it gets this year. At least we play really late Friday. Quick question for guys who really thought we'd be a 10 seed or lower. 1486952199

The part where you made that up in your head?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 13 Mar - 12:37

kingstonlake wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Wags, what part of teams WANT to play MSU this year don't you understand?

The part where you made that up in your head?

Honestly, if you are one of MSUs opponents, what is scary about playing us?

No front court and inconsistent guard play.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 13 Mar - 12:56

The morning show I listened to talked about how Miami had to play MSU. They made it sound like the fans were scared because of that match up. There was one guy, and he works for ESPN part time, who mentioned that we aren't the regular MSU. One of the other guys just says "ya, but they're still MSU and they still have Izzo."
Some of you live in a weird bubble.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 13 Mar - 13:04

I just picked a seed number out of the air because I didn't want to feel left out of this thread.

Also, you said quick question and it's not.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 13 Mar - 13:15

InTenSity wrote:The morning show I listened to talked about how Miami had to play MSU. They made it sound like the fans were scared because of that match up. There was one guy, and he works for ESPN part time, who mentioned that we aren't the regular MSU. One of the other guys just says "ya, but they're still MSU and they still have Izzo."

MSU just isn't any good this year. We aren't making some deep run.

What's wrong with saying that? We have watched this team play over 30 times. Some of these national guys just look at names and have never seen MSU play this year.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 13 Mar - 13:21

I'm not afraid of Miami.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 13 Mar - 13:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm not afraid of Miami.

I'll bet you were in the late 80s and 90s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 13 Mar - 14:02

The_Dude wrote:
InTenSity wrote:The morning show I listened to talked about how Miami had to play MSU. They made it sound like the fans were scared because of that match up. There was one guy, and he works for ESPN part time, who mentioned that we aren't the regular MSU. One of the other guys just says "ya, but they're still MSU and they still have Izzo."

MSU just isn't any good this year. We aren't making some deep run.

What's wrong with saying that? We have watched this team play over 30 times. Some of these national guys just look at names and have never seen MSU play this year.
No one is expecting a deep run. But you're crazy if that translates to teams WANTING to play us, as you said. Once again, you're head is so far up the ass of your UM buddies that you share their delusion about what people think about MSU.

No one was sitting around saying, "ooh, I hope we get Michigan State." Not saying that someone would rather face Louisville or Duke than MSU, but as far as a team at our level/seed, no one wants to face one of the best tournament coaches in history with a young team that hasn't scratched the surface of their potential. When Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas have down years, no one says, "Hey, I want to play those guys!"
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 13 Mar - 14:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

MSU just isn't any good this year.  We aren't making some deep run.

What's wrong with saying that?  We have watched this team play over 30 times.  Some of these national guys just look at names and have never seen MSU play this year.
No one is expecting a deep run.  But you're crazy if that translates to teams WANTING to play us, as you said.  Once again, you're head is so far up the ass of your UM buddies that you share their delusion about what people think about MSU.

No one was sitting around saying, "ooh, I hope we get Michigan State."  Not saying that someone would rather face Louisville or Duke than MSU, but as far as a team at our level/seed, no one wants to face one of the best tournament coaches in history with a young team that hasn't scratched the surface of their potential.  When Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas have down years, no one says, "Hey, I want to play those guys!"

So I should judge this current MSU squad based on past teams?

Izzo is handcuffed with the lack of size and his only pg being a true frosh.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon 13 Mar - 14:18

Gotta love a guy who didn't think we'd make the Tournament that thinks he's an expert.

Last edited by NigelUno on Tue 14 Mar - 16:59; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 13 Mar - 14:31

NigelUno wrote:Gotta love a guy who didn't think we'd make the Tournament that he thinks he's an expert.

Everyone is an expert on the internetz.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 14 Mar - 16:52

The_Dude wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
No one is expecting a deep run.  But you're crazy if that translates to teams WANTING to play us, as you said.  Once again, you're head is so far up the ass of your UM buddies that you share their delusion about what people think about MSU.

No one was sitting around saying, "ooh, I hope we get Michigan State."  Not saying that someone would rather face Louisville or Duke than MSU, but as far as a team at our level/seed, no one wants to face one of the best tournament coaches in history with a young team that hasn't scratched the surface of their potential.  When Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas have down years, no one says, "Hey, I want to play those guys!"

Classic Dude, changing your argument, moving the goal posts.

You said that teams "WANT" to play us this year (your use of all caps). It's bullshit, it's been explained why it's bullshit, and you obviously know it's bullshit, which is why you're doing what you always do, and changing the argument when you get shown to be talking out of your ass.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 14 Mar - 19:55

MSU's best win of the season was against Michigan, a 7 seed.
Yes, Izzo has one of the best tourney records of any coach. He also has never made it out of the first weekend with less than a 7 seed.
The Dude is spor on.

The most popular opinion is not always the most correct.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Tue 14 Mar - 20:00

Herbie Green wrote:MSU's best win of the season was against Michigan, a 7 seed.
Yes, Izzo has one of the best tourney records of any coach. He also has never made it out of the first weekend with less than a 7 seed.
The Dude is spor on.

So the three times he's teams were 8,9 or 10 seeds they couldn't get to the Sweet 16??? Shocking!
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Tue 14 Mar - 20:02

The Dude is spor on.

BTW State beat 5 seed Minnesota twice???
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 14 Mar - 20:04

The_Dude wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

So, out of Vanderbilt, Seton Hall, Va Tech, and MSU...... If you're one of the coaches of an 8 seed.... You got your hand folded looking to the heavens and praying you draw MSU?  Ok, fella...
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 14 Mar - 20:08

Wins (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
31 Nov. 25 Wichita State* 77-72
21 Dec. 27 @ Minnesota 75-74
49 Dec. 30 Northwestern 61-52
21 Jan. 11 Minnesota 65-47
30 Jan. 29 Michigan 70-62
32 Feb. 26 Wisconsin 84-74

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 14 Mar - 20:09

CheesySpartan wrote:
The Dude is spor on.

So the three times he's teams were 8,9 or 10 seeds they couldn't get to the Sweet 16??? Shocking!

538 gives MSU an 8% chance if that makes you feel better
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 14 Mar - 20:11

CheesySpartan wrote:
The Dude is spor on.

Chicken Herb is grasping/clucking at straws. He thought we'd be in the NIT.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 14 Mar - 20:12

CheesySpartan wrote:
The Dude is spor on.

BTW State beat 5 seed Minnesota twice???

I was looking at the AP, but same difference whatever metric you want to use. MSU never beat one single top team this year. So why would a top team fear them now?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next