Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious

+22
keanro
Dendrobates
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
TheReal_LWS
NigelUno
y2kMgrad
DWags
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
Frank Ricard
CheesySpartan
tGreenWay
pulling69
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
Cameron
Rocinante
Death Roe
26 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious  - Page 5 Empty Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-18, 10:42

I am not reading this thread to avoid the spoilers, but although I have heard HORRIBLE reviews from people who I trust, I'm going to see it just to shove in all of your stupid faces why Star Wars sucks (except rogue 1, which was awesome except for the Leia part, which was dumb and creepy).
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious  - Page 5 Empty Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-18, 10:48

Rocinante wrote:I am not reading this thread to avoid the spoilers, but although I have heard HORRIBLE reviews from people who I trust, I'm going to see it just to shove in all of your stupid faces why Star Wars sucks (except rogue 1, which was awesome except for the Leia part, which was dumb and creepy).

Keep talking dirty, baby.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-12-18, 15:20

I saw it today. I'll try to post thoughts about it later. Overall I enjoyed it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-12-18, 16:15

I saw it yesterday. The more time passes the less I find that I liked it.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-18, 16:16

Clarett's Folly wrote:I saw it yesterday. The more time passes the less I find that I liked it.
Im kinda the opposite. I like it more as it’s been a few days
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-12-18, 16:21

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:I saw it yesterday. The more time passes the less I find that I liked it.

Fair enough. Not gonna hate on a guy for his opinion.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-18, 16:30

Clarett's Folly wrote:

Fair enough. Not gonna hate on a guy for his opinion.
One example- I didn’t mention it but at first I was with many of the masses that said “hey, Finn’s whole story here was useless what’s up with that?” But then it was like, okay, it was a typical long shot Star Wars plot that needs 7 things to go exactly right. It didn’t, which really odds say that it shouldn’t. Then I was kinda like well that’s sorta cool. They went after some long shot strategy and then oops, didn’t work. 

Of course, they didn’t kill him off. Which is the much more likely result of a longshot plan failing. I think that’s sort of unfortunate. But I’m the same guy that says that the best thing that could happen on the walking dead is if they just kill everyone in some random unexpected episode since that’s totally a thing that could happen.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-18, 16:33

I thought that because of DJ (Benicio Del Toro) being a traitor/slimeball in the end, that Canto Bight side-story of finding a codemaster was almost rendered completely useless. They got captured by the First Order anyway, even if they wouldn't have used him they probably still get taken.

I wish we got to see them talk to Justin Theroux instead.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-18, 16:35

Death Roe wrote:I thought that because of DJ (Benicio Del Toro) being a traitor/slimeball in the end, that Canto Bight side-story of finding a codemaster was almost rendered completely useless. They got captured by the First Order anyway, even if they wouldn't have used him they probably still get taken.

We talked about the same thing  Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious  - Page 5 2764 

But really what do you think about it being a typical story that 100% of the time in the past works out for the good guys against all odds and this time the odds winning?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-18, 16:43

Death Roe wrote:I thought that because of DJ (Benicio Del Toro) being a traitor/slimeball in the end, that Canto Bight side-story of finding a codemaster was almost rendered completely useless. They got captured by the First Order anyway, even if they wouldn't have used him they probably still get taken.

We talked about the same thing  Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious  - Page 5 2764 

But really what do you think about it being a typical story that 100% of the time in the past works out for the good guys against all odds and this time the odds winning?

The movie overall? In terms of the Resistance somehow winning this time? I liked that they are pretty much at 1% health. I found it jarring that the distress call didn't have anyone answer. If Lucas made this movie a large backup unit would have come to Crait to help them out. I admired the balls Rian Johnson had with this movie.

I liked how they didn't really embellish on Ren being a Vader fanboi. Snoke said it to piss him off, but that worked out well for him in the end. Not. They just made Kylo pure evil.

He killed his Dad, almost killed his Mom (although she definitely thinks it was him who blasted the bridge), and would've killed his Uncle. Ruthless little prick.

I hope we get scenes of Luke just toying with Ben in Episode IX.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-18, 16:43

I'm going again tonight with a buddy, since his wife doesn't like Star Wars, but loves Twilight and Hunger Games like a weirdo.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-18, 16:48

Death Roe wrote:

The movie overall? In terms of the Resistance somehow winning this time? I liked that they are pretty much at 1% health. I found it jarring that the distress call didn't have anyone answer. If Lucas made this movie a large backup unit would have come to Crait to help them out. I admired the balls Rian Johnson had with this movie.

I liked how they didn't really embellish on Ren being a Vader fanboi. Snoke said it to piss him off, but that worked out well for him in the end. Not. They just made Kylo pure evil.

He killed his Dad, almost killed his Mom (although she definitely thinks it was him who blasted the bridge), and would've killed his Uncle. Ruthless little prick.

I hope we get scenes of Luke just toying with Ben in Episode IX.
No, I meant that particular story. The Finn one that does seem kind of useless. But, a) it’s how it would probably go most of the time except they’d get caught even sooner and b) is really mostly just talking about capitalist war machines.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2017-12-18, 16:52

Laura Dern's purple hair seemed cheap to me. Like something SYFY would come up with to make things "futuristic."

Princess Leia's force floating through space seemed equally cheesy if for no other reason than the fact that she wouldn't just be aimlessly floating near the ship's breach but, rather, sucked into the deepest recesses of space.

Finn's bacta tank suit missed an opportunity to revisit the bacta tank from Hoth. It also looked stupid.

Rose guarding the escape pods to keep deserters out of them pissed me off because a rebellion is voluntary. Now people are being compelled to serve?

Rose as a character bugged me because she was totally an administrative assistant until the last battle where she's a skilled fighter pilot.

Finn bugged me because I can't imagine the rebellion letting an ex-Stormtrooper just walk through their base willy-nilly no matter how much he's helped recently.

The galaxy felt small. Characters weren't partitioned enough from each other.

Most of all the whole theme of the movie seemed to be "these movies are stupid and your fandom is dumb." From Luke tossing his lightsaber off a cliff, to Snoke mocking Kylo's mask (despite the fact he is in a room surrounded by guys in masks on a spaceship manned by legions of other guys in masks), to Yoda burning down the old Jedi temple, to Luke's speech about how "Jedi aren't masters of the Force."

I couldn't shake the feeling that Disney was telling us "you know all that other shit that got you hooked on Star Wars to begin with? That shit is over. Get excited about a Rey-meets-the-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy crossover."
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-18, 17:32

Not reading any of your posts lalalalalalalalala

But I'll post this here.

Not even “The Last Jedi” will reverse Americans’ retreat from cinemas
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-12-18, 22:43

Dumb article. Made 450 million worldwide.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-18, 22:46

Clarett's Folly wrote:Laura Dern's purple hair seemed cheap to me. Like something SYFY would come up with to make things "futuristic."

Princess Leia's force floating through space seemed equally cheesy if for no other reason than the fact that she wouldn't just be aimlessly floating near the ship's breach but, rather, sucked into the deepest recesses of space.

Finn's bacta tank suit missed an opportunity to revisit the bacta tank from Hoth. It also looked stupid.

Rose guarding the escape pods to keep deserters out of them pissed me off because a rebellion is voluntary. Now people are being compelled to serve?

Rose as a character bugged me because she was totally an administrative assistant until the last battle where she's a skilled fighter pilot.

Finn bugged me because I can't imagine the rebellion letting an ex-Stormtrooper just walk through their base willy-nilly no matter how much he's helped recently.

Most of all the whole theme of the movie seemed to be "these movies are stupid and your fandom is dumb." From Luke tossing his lightsaber off a cliff, to Snoke mocking Kylo's mask (despite the fact he is in a room surrounded by guys in masks on a spaceship manned by legions of other guys in masks), to Yoda burning down the old Jedi temple, to Luke's speech about how "Jedi aren't masters of the Force."

I couldn't shake the feeling that Disney was telling us "you know all that other shit that got you hooked on Star Wars to begin with? That shit is over. Get excited about a Rey-meets-the-Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy crossover."

Good post. I thought it was one of the dumbest films I've ever sat through and it was way too long.

When Kylo had his shirt off I let out a few snickers and it caused a few rows in the theater to start laughing. Such an awkward and dumb scene.

I also did a few of the same snickers when Rose said 'You gotta fight for the things you love' and it set off the same couple of rows laughing.

I think I'm pretty much done with the Star Wars franchise. The reboots added on terrible additions, the prequels were three bad films, the first one of the new series was meh and this one was a flaming turd.

I thought Rogue One was an outlier because it was actually a stunning film. That's one good film out of the last nine new releases since the end of the original trilogy in 1984. That's not a very good average.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2017-12-18, 23:08; edited 2 times in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-18, 22:54

Sounds like you guys are getting smarter. I like it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-18, 23:06

Death Roe wrote:I'm going again tonight with a buddy, since his wife doesn't like Star Wars, but loves Twilight and Hunger Games like a weirdo.

Your friends sound basic. You need to be hanging with me bro.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-19, 08:42

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/17/the-rebellion-awakens-angry-fan-backlash-mounts-against-star-wars-the-last-jedi/#7e1e960f1d7b

Quite a backlash towards this film. Guess I wasn’t alone in my negative views towards episode VIII.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-12-19, 08:58

Clarett's Folly wrote:Laura Dern's purple hair seemed cheap to me. Like something SYFY would come up with to make things "futuristic."

I like your post. It sums up how I feel about Star Wars anyway, as I’m not a fan. But I’ve seen them all because my husband makes me.

I HATED the whole Rose/Finn scene . So forced, so dumb. No connection st all. And Rose’s character was just so damn annoying.

Husband has a theory on Ray (someone has probably come up with it elsewhere) . That Ray is a manifestation of the force. In the black hole when it showed her parents, it showed her. He mentioned some other things too. I think it fits. And I think it fits with it being some lame ass explanation of who Ray is.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2017-12-19, 13:22

I got the movie popcorn which I liked but I didn't care for the movie.

Things I didn't like:
Gravity bombs during the opening scene in a zero gravity environment.
Leia as Mary Poppins in Space
How the Rebel Alliance (who were the governing body of the galaxy) were pretty much defeated in between movies.
Ghost Yoda (I guess he wasn't CGI after all) was able to control the weather?
20,000 year old books store in a cave off the coast of Ireland
Chewie makes a snack out of space birds and then they are buddies?
Emperor Voldemort and his loser red shirt guards
The Resistance is down to three ships but they don't send the fighters in to finish them off?
The 15 minute subplot to Space Vegas

Things I liked:
Luke was awesome
Admiral Laura Dern was good
The Salt Hoth battle was good

In all movie was way too long. Here's my rankings;
Empire
New Hope
Return
Rogue One
Sith
Last Jedi
Force Awakens
Attack of Clones
Phantom Menace

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on 2017-12-19, 14:51; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-19, 13:28

Two notes for you Strangelove-

Re: bombs- I had the same question. Apparently Poe said something to the effect of “that ship is dragging me in.” As in, it’s massive and has its own gravity. I missed it but hey, whatever, at least they thought about that.

I also read that yoda was a puppet, not cgi. He was cgi in the prequels. Who cares yoda sucks anyway.

I’m not really sure what you want out of the Snoke fellow though. Either he becomes the big baddy of 1000 movies before it (then you complain that it’s predictable) or they kill him off when you’re not really expecting it. What else do you want out of it that isn’t the same movie you’ve seen 30 times?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-19, 14:32

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Walking around on an asteroid (or in the belly of a creature living on an asteroid) with nothing more than simple mask would cause your body to be destroyed from the lack of atmospheric pressure, but Han and Leia were no worse for wear. Anakin jumped out of a fighter in space (without even a mask). Just saying that there is precedent for the lack of real world physics involved, but I did feel that how they showed that was cheesy.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-19, 14:47

I enjoyed it while I was watching it, then I thought about it some more and I think I kind of don't like where it took things. I definitely need to see it again, though. Also, a lot will depend on what they do in Episode IX. Could make this one seem better, could make it seem worse.

I don't like that it seemed like Rian Johnson took one look at where JJ Abrams was planning to have things go after Episode VII and was just like "nah, fuck that." Also, the plot was kind of shitty. The First Order has a massive fleet with ships and technology that the Resistance can only dream of, yet they can't catch the Resistance ships in a straight line race, and they also can't coordinate having a second First Order fleet intercept the Resistance fleet's course? But somehow Finn and Rose are able to leave the Resistance fleet, go on some failed caper on a casino planet, then return to the fleet, all without the First Order having worked out a way to catch up to them in the interim? Pretty weak shit if you ask me.

I also saw someone describe what we're left with as something like "4 rebels with plot armor vs. the First Order." Seems about right.

I definitely thought Finn should have died sacrificing himself on the battering ram cannon, and I could have done without the Rose character altogether. The Casino planet shit should have been cut, would have brought the movie down to a reasonable run time (but then Rian Johnson wouldn't have gotten to wank himself to the broom boy scene, so I guess it all had to stay). They could have just had Maz send them some codes or something so they could just break in themselves, would have saved time and been less stupid.

Space Leia was super dumb. And Akbar deserved a better death. And Laura Dern not telling Poe what the plan was was super stupid too. Could have saved some more run time there.

But my biggest criticism of all? Not nearly enough wipe cuts. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wipe cuts.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-19, 14:52

Cameron wrote:I enjoyed it while I was watching it, then I thought about it some more and I think I kind of don't like where it took things. I definitely need to see it again, though. Also, a lot will depend on what they do in Episode IX. Could make this one seem better, could make it seem worse.

I don't like that it seemed like Rian Johnson took one look at where JJ Abrams was planning to have things go after Episode VII and was just like "nah, fuck that." Also, the plot was kind of shitty. The First Order has a massive fleet with ships and technology that the Resistance can only dream of, yet they can't catch the Resistance ships in a straight line race, and they also can't coordinate having a second First Order fleet intercept the Resistance fleet's course? But somehow Finn and Rose are able to leave the Resistance fleet, go on some failed caper on a casino planet, then return to the fleet, all without the First Order having worked out a way to catch up to them in the interim? Pretty weak shit if you ask me.

I also saw someone describe what we're left with as something like "4 rebels with plot armor vs. the First Order." Seems about right.

I definitely thought Finn should have died sacrificing himself on the battering ram cannon, and I could have done without the Rose character altogether. The Casino planet shit should have been cut, would have brought the movie down to a reasonable run time (but then Rian Johnson wouldn't have gotten to wank himself to the broom boy scene, so I guess it all had to stay). They could have just had Maz send them some codes or something so they could just break in themselves, would have saved time and been less stupid.

Space Leia was super dumb. And Akbar deserved a better death. And Laura Dern not telling Poe what the plan was was super stupid too. Could have saved some more run time there.

But my biggest criticism of all? Not nearly enough wipe cuts. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wipe cuts.
Why? This is a common criticism that I’ve read, and I’d like to know, seriously... why? He had one line that became a meme. Outside of that he’s 100% irrelevant. Who gives a shit.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-12-19, 15:01

Cameron wrote:I enjoyed it while I was watching it, then I thought about it some more and I think I kind of don't like where it took things. I definitely need to see it again, though. Also, a lot will depend on what they do in Episode IX. Could make this one seem better, could make it seem worse.

Why? This is a common criticism that I’ve read, and I’d like to know, seriously... why? He had one line that became a meme. Outside of that he’s 100% irrelevant. Who gives a shit.

That's fair. I guess fuck Akbar. I stand by the rest.

And whether or not Yoda was a puppet, I didn't think he looked very good, and it seemed like he might have had some CGI-ish aura effect about him that was partly to blame. Would have to see it again to confirm. But I like that he was impish Yoda, which is always preferable to serious Yoda.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-20, 08:33

That scene where Luke drank milk from that sea cow was so out there and more cringe worthy than Jar Jar Binks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-20, 10:24

More from the Babylon Bee..

Man Complains About Plot Holes In Movie About Space Wizards Fighting With Colored Laser Sticks

SANTA ROSA, CA—In a 4,000 word blog post published in the early morning hours after his first viewing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, local grown man Kyle Marion reportedly complained about plot holes in the film about space wizards fighting with colored laser sticks, reports confirmed Monday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-20, 10:46

The Babylon Bee is soooooo dumb.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-20, 10:57

Rocinante wrote:The Babylon Bee is soooooo dumb.

.........thus written on a level I can understand and enjoy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-12-20, 11:31

LooseGoose wrote:More from the Babylon Bee..

Man Complains About Plot Holes In Movie About Space Wizards Fighting With Colored Laser Sticks

SANTA ROSA, CA—In a 4,000 word blog post published in the early morning hours after his first viewing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, local grown man Kyle Marion reportedly complained about plot holes in the film about space wizards fighting with colored laser sticks, reports confirmed Monday.

Spot on. Star Wars: The Last Jedi- There are spoilers now here because the spoiler tag thing is obnoxious  - Page 5 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-20, 12:13

I'm a big Star Wars fan (that is, I enjoy the movies a lot, but don't dress up or obsess about it), but man, there are some people that take this shit wayyyy too seriously.  Someone in tRCMB thread said that they seriously were very close to getting up and and walking out of the theater after the Leia in space scene.  Really, dude?  I've never walked out of any movie, and I even saw Gigli at the theater.  I just can't imagine being that upset about something in the movie that you would storm out like a 5 year old that was just told that he can't have a candy bar.

(and yes, I know that article was sarcasm, but I'm referring to the real life people that the sarcasm is based on).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-20, 12:39

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I'm a big Star Wars fan (that is, I enjoy the movies a lot, but don't dress up or obsess about it), but man, there are some people that take this shit wayyyy too seriously.  Someone in tRCMB thread said that they seriously were very close to getting up and and walking out of the theater after the Leia in space scene.  Really, dude?  I've never walked out of any movie, and I even saw Gigli at the theater.  I just can't imagine being that upset about something in the movie that you would storm out like a 5 year old that was just told that he can't have a candy bar.

(and yes, I know that article was sarcasm, but I'm referring to the real life people that the sarcasm is based on).

There's a petition I linked to above that people are signing to have it removed from the Star Wars universe. I agree with your point.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-20, 12:47

Lotta people mad about it but it seems like all they wanted was the same Star Wars movie we’ve seen 7 times already. I’m glad they’re trying to make a different story with it. It’ll keep it fun instead of just watching the same thing over and over again (which I believe is otpt’s beef with Star Wars type movies. Of course, he isn’t going to like this one either cause he’s otpt, but maybe there’s hope.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-20, 13:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lotta people mad about it but it seems like all they wanted was the same Star Wars movie we’ve seen 7 times already. I’m glad they’re trying to make a different story with it. It’ll keep it fun instead of just watching the same thing over and over again (which I believe is otpt’s beef with Star Wars type movies. Of course, he isn’t going to like this one either cause he’s otpt, but maybe there’s hope.)

I really didn't see that many new things in the film. Story reprized many themes from Return of the Jedi and Empire. I could tell Snoke was going to get killed by Ben because I had seen the exact scene in Return of the Jedi.

On Hoth I could tell the rebels were going to escape because I had seen the exact premise in Empire.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-12-20, 13:22

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lotta people mad about it but it seems like all they wanted was the same Star Wars movie we’ve seen 7 times already. I’m glad they’re trying to make a different story with it. It’ll keep it fun instead of just watching the same thing over and over again (which I believe is otpt’s beef with Star Wars type movies. Of course, he isn’t going to like this one either cause he’s otpt, but maybe there’s hope.)

I really didn't see that many new things in the film. Story reprized many themes from Return of the Jedi and Empire. I could tell Snoke was going to get killed by Ben because I had seen the exact scene in Return of the Jedi.

On Hoth I could tell the rebels were going to escape because I had seen the exact premise in Empire.

Hm. I mean. Okay I guess. While I say “different” I don’t mean “it should turn into a lawyer drama.”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-20, 13:48

steveschneider wrote:

But when Vader killed the Emperor, that was in part 3. The climax to the whole trilogy. The vast majority of people, myself included, were expecting Snoke to be around for the next one, not killed half way through the trilogy. That's part of the different direction. It also sets up the, "Where are they going to go with this in the next one?" question. And Kylo didn't do it out of a last bit of good remaining in him like Vader.

Of course, we knew the rebels were going to escape, but that's because it's a franchise that is based on good triumphing over evil. So they're going to escape to fight another day, just as the good guys have often done in the series.

I'm not trying to get you to like it as a whole, just commenting on those two points. To each their own, I don't get worked up if someone doesn't like something I like. Hell, my daughter, a huge Star Wars fan, didn't like the movie, and I have even started talking to her again (I kid, I kid...about not talking to her, but it's true that she didn't like the movie).

For me, the movie felt like they were wiping out the old to make way for the new. The dialogue in the film even said as much. Like it or hate it, I think they accomplished that. And what the film didn't wipe out, real life events did.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-20, 14:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

But when Vader killed the Emperor, that was in part 3. The climax to the whole trilogy. The vast majority of people, myself included, were expecting Snoke to be around for the next one, not killed half way through the trilogy. That's part of the different direction. It also sets up the, "Where are they going to go with this in the next one?" question. And Kylo didn't do it out of a last bit of good remaining in him like Vader.

Of course, we knew the rebels were going to escape, but that's because it's a franchise that is based on good triumphing over evil. So they're going to escape to fight another day, just as the good guys have often done in the series.

I'm not trying to get you to like it as a whole, just commenting on those two points. To each their own, I don't get worked up if someone doesn't like something I like. Hell, my daughter, a huge Star Wars fan, didn't like the movie, and I have even started talking to her again (I kid, I kid...about not talking to her, but it's true that she didn't like the movie).

For me, the movie felt like they were wiping out the old to make way for the new. The dialogue in the film even said as much. Like it or hate it, I think they accomplished that. And what the film didn't wipe out, real life events did.

Yeah, I have no problem having a differing opinion on a film. I just felt like the two examples I cited have been seen and done before. The sets were so similar visually, and both recalled previous plot points. I mean not all plot points lined up perfectly, but this criticism was applied to episode VII and those similar scenes didn't line up perfectly either.

I thought Rogue One accomplished departing from the old in a much bolder fashion. The film started off without the song and text crawl.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-12-20, 15:02

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yeah, I have no problem having a differing opinion on a film. I just felt like the two examples I cited have been seen and done before. The sets were so similar visually, and both recalled previous plot points. I mean not all plot points lined up perfectly, but this criticism was applied to episode VII and those similar scenes didn't line up perfectly either.

I thought Rogue One accomplished departing from the old in a much bolder fashion. The film started off without the song and text crawl.
Fair enough. I think they were very conscious with Rogue One to separate it from the trilogies right from the opening. But I also think it's easier to depart from the old when it's a standalone movie than the middle of a trilogy. I suppose TLJ tried to toe the line in a lot of ways between the old and the new, and that worked for some people better than for others.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-20, 17:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Fair enough. I think they were very conscious with Rogue One to separate it from the trilogies right from the opening. But I also think it's easier to depart from the old when it's a standalone movie than the middle of a trilogy. I suppose TLJ tried to toe the line in a lot of ways between the old and the new, and that worked for some people better than for others.

I meant to comment earlier but I've been so busy at work, but that's hilarious your daughter didn't like the film.

I guess that's half the fun at this point is to observe how polarizing these films can be at this point and time in the franchise.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next