Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuck it- statues

+18
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
Frank Ricard
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
Cameron
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
22 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Fuck it- statues - Page 6 Empty Re: Fuck it- statues

Post by Guest 2018-04-14, 12:50

I repeat over and over to you that I don't watch any television news at all. You insist on coming on here and calling me a liar repeatedly. I don't appreciate it and think you're an ass to continue. Tells me you're a petty little bitch that gets amused by irritating me. Someday perhaps you'll have the balls to look me in the eye and call me a liar, when you do I'll at least have a bit of respect for you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-04-14, 12:52

LooseGoose wrote:I repeat over and over to you that I don't watch any television news at all.    You insist on coming on here and calling me a liar repeatedly.  I don't appreciate it and think you're an ass to continue.   Tells me you're a petty little bitch that gets amused by irritating me.  Someday perhaps you'll have the balls to look me in the eye and call me a liar, when you do I'll at least have a bit of respect for you.
Dude.

I say this over and over again to you.

I don’t doubt that you don’t watch it. Fine. You read Tucker Carlson’s fucking website constantly. Do you understand that it’s the same thing or no
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-04-14, 12:53

You’re consuming the exact same bullshit information regardless of whether you actually watch it or not. Please please please tell me that you can at least wrap your mind around that fairly simple concept.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-14, 12:58

LooseGoose wrote:I repeat over and over to you that I don't watch any television news at all.    You insist on coming on here and calling me a liar repeatedly.  I don't appreciate it and think you're an ass to continue.   Tells me you're a petty little bitch that gets amused by irritating me.  Someday perhaps you'll have the balls to look me in the eye and call me a liar, when you do I'll at least have a bit of respect for you.

You get amused by calling a high school kid "Little Hitler".  Does that make you a petty little bitch?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-04-14, 13:01

NigelUno wrote:

You get amused by calling a high school kid "Little Hitler".  Does that make you a petty little bitch?
It’s just outrageously stupid on his part that I’ve never even claimed to know if he owns a tv or not. I don’t care at all what he watches. He’s a Fox News slurper though whether he knows or admits it or not (that’s what daily caller is big guy. Just so you know. I feel like I have to spell out every little thing for you so you don’t go all snowflake again.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-04-14, 14:11

It's funny watching opposite sides of the coin argue over which side is shinier.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-17, 13:50

Erasing history instead of teaching it, it's sort of like burning books you disagree with. Always fun to watch "Progressives" nazis attempt to erase history they don't like.

Removal of controversial Bronson Park fountain starts next week

In March, the City Commission voted 5-1 to relocate the Fountain of the Pioneers from its flagship park and develop a plan for putting something new in its place. It was a victory for activists who brought renewed vigor to an effort to recognize the controversial fountain's impact on indigenous people.

Though public debate has persisted since the monument was established, City Commissioners agreed that the figures of a Native American in headdress head-to-head with a westward-gazing pioneer do more harm than good.

The fountain was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016. It will not be automatically removed from the register, but could be delisted by petition in the future.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-17, 14:06

LooseGoose wrote:Erasing history instead of teaching it, it's sort of like burning books you disagree with.   

No, it really isn't.  Not even close.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-04-17, 14:23

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Erasing history instead of teaching it, it's sort of like burning books you disagree with.   

No, it really isn't.  Not even close.

It sort of is. Lots of black activists agree. I would say providing context via plaques explaining that the statues are often a product of post-civil war revisionist history and were meant to represent dominion of whites over blacks, in addition to erecting companion monuments to African Americans would be better policy. Erasing racism is bad.

But to be sure, these statues are not about about heritage, ever. Unless that heritage is racism and we openly say that.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-25, 17:01

Well they didn't get the name of Austin, TX changed yet.....but they did get this guy for something his DAD said 30 years ago.   I'm impressed by the progress we 're making .

Fuck it- statues - Page 6 Screen-Shot-2018-08-25-at-8.36.49-AM-600x335
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-08-25, 17:59

I can't wait to hear how Goose's screwed up brain equates lost NASCAR sponsorships to statues. Fuck it- statues - Page 6 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-08-25, 20:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I can't wait to hear how Goose's screwed up brain equates lost NASCAR sponsorships to statues. Fuck it- statues - Page 6 502811600

Whatever. It’s ridiculous.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-12-13, 10:48

https://www.wboy.com/news/west-virginia/confederate-plaque-removed-from-west-virginia-courthouse/1655531755

Muh heritage!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-12-13, 19:54

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-46552614

Racist' Gandhi statue removed from University of Ghana
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-12-14, 05:37

Dr. Strangelove wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-46552614

Racist' Gandhi statue removed from University of Ghana
good for the University of Ghana.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-06-07, 14:09

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/black-lives-matter-protests-uk-bristol-statue-edward-colston-slavery-a9553266.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591538752

What would Guest think?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-06-07, 20:11

Poor 'ol Goose. Fuck it- statues - Page 6 502811600

Pretty funny how the patriotic right wing folks suddenly want us to value history, yet they also want to defund education.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 10:25

Large swaths of history have been erased now that the statues are gone. No one remembers. The books have had their pages wiped. I’m not even sure which memories we were trying to hold on to. It’s all gone. So sad.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-06-08, 11:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Large swaths of history have been erased now that the statues are gone. No one remembers. The books have had their pages wiped. I’m not even sure which memories we were trying to hold on to. It’s all gone. So sad.

I can't even remember who won the Civil War any more. SAD!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-06-08, 11:56

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Large swaths of history have been erased now that the statues are gone. No one remembers. The books have had their pages wiped. I’m not even sure which memories we were trying to hold on to. It’s all gone. So sad.

I can't even remember who won the Civil War any more. SAD!

The Germans. Bombing Pearl Harbor was the decisive blow.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 12:16

Probably not popular but I don’t think they should be removed. I visited some civil war history (statues) down south. I didn’t get a feeling of “white pride” or anything. It was just an overall feeling of being exposed to history It was just different. Reminding us of a dark time isn’t glorifying it imho. It’s educating us on what was wrong and what shouldn’t be repeated. Funny thing was I saw many black people with their kids visiting. I’m guessing educating them on history. Hint early I think there’s a ton of faux outrage from whites on this. I would totally understand and respect people of color having issues with the statues though. I guess it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-08, 12:24

kingstonlake wrote:Probably not popular but I don’t think they should be removed. I visited some civil war history (statues) down south. I didn’t get a feeling of “white pride” or anything. It was just an overall feeling of being exposed to history  It was just different. Reminding us of a dark time isn’t glorifying it imho. It’s educating us on what was wrong and what shouldn’t be repeated. Funny thing was I saw many black people with their kids visiting. I’m guessing educating them on history. Hint early I think there’s a ton of faux outrage from whites on this. I would totally understand and respect people of color having issues with the statues though. I guess it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

Statues generally seem celebratory to me. We don't have statues of Hitler to teach about the Nazis.

Tear the statues of traitors down. They lost.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 12:32

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Probably not popular but I don’t think they should be removed. I visited some civil war history (statues) down south. I didn’t get a feeling of “white pride” or anything. It was just an overall feeling of being exposed to history  It was just different. Reminding us of a dark time isn’t glorifying it imho. It’s educating us on what was wrong and what shouldn’t be repeated. Funny thing was I saw many black people with their kids visiting. I’m guessing educating them on history. Hint early I think there’s a ton of faux outrage from whites on this. I would totally understand and respect people of color having issues with the statues though. I guess it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

Statues generally seem celebratory to me. We don't have statues of Hitler to teach about the Nazis.

If you view a statue or monument as a celebration then I can see your point. I just don’t view them as a celebration. To me it’s a recognition of our nations history. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 12:41

But we don’t make statues for the bad or the ugly.

Just that one bad and ugly. The one that tried to keep an entire group of people as slaves. And are held up by a certain group of people still today as heroes. There’s plenty of other bad and ugly. They don’t have statues.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 12:43

Well, that’s not entirely true. There are statues of things like the trail of tears.

But they are of the Native American. Not the ones forcing them to leave their home. If you want a statue of a slave to acknowledge the bad and ugly, fine, but not the oppressors.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-08, 12:45

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

If you view a statue or monument as a celebration then I can see your point. I just don’t view them as a celebration. To me it’s a recognition of our nations history. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Like Travis said, we haven't built statues for all the enemies we've vanquished as a nation. Just confederates. We didn't build a statue of Benedict Arnold. We didn't build statues of a bunch of random generals that fought to keep us under British colonial rule.

I think you just don't really understand what statues are.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 12:54

We also have Vietnam statues, monuments or memorials which pretty much acknowledges the same thing. I’m sure many of the names on the wall were guilty of war crimes Yet no clamoring to bring them down. I’m sure there are or will be gulf war Monuments. We have WWII monuments. We imprisoned Japanese for being Japanese. I’m sure the list is longer than we’d like to admit. George Custer? You have to be very careful when applying today’s standards and morality to past history.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 12:57

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Like Travis said, we haven't built statues for all the enemies we've vanquished as a nation. Just confederates. We didn't build a statue of Benedict Arnold. We didn't build statues of a bunch of random generals that fought to keep us under British colonial rule.

I don’t think you understand how people may not view a statue as a celebration.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 12:58

kingstonlake wrote:We also have Vietnam statues, monuments or memorials which pretty much acknowledges the same thing. I’m sure many of the names on the wall were guilty of war crimes Yet no clamoring to bring them down. I’m sure there are or will be gulf war Monuments. We have WWII monuments. We imprisoned Japanese for being Japanese. I’m sure the list is longer than we’d like to admit. George Custer? You have to be very careful when applying today’s standards and morality to past history.

We should take down names of people guilty of war crimes if we know they are guilty of war crimes.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-06-08, 13:04

Frank Ricard wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:A really good article that points out the mistakes of the "slippery slope" and historical arguments that justify keeping the statues up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/08/15/why-slippery-slope-arguments-should-not-stop-us-from-removing-confederate-monuments/?utm_term=.553c1b520ec6

With that said, I will make one point that justifies keeping them up. If they come down but that history is not preserved elsewhere, such as in a museum, I would prefer they stay up. Taking them down and not preserving that history is dangerous. It allows us to forget the mistakes of the past, and thus facilitates a certain laziness about always working to improve the society we live in.

---------------------------------- Below is my sarcastic response --------------------------------

These statues are like participation trophies. You know, the trophies you get when you lose but people feel like you deserve something anyway. We do not memorialize losers in this country. We are a country of winners. Heros do not get caught, and losers do not get statues.

Stick to your sarcastic side.  

Look, the only reason the vast majority of the monuments even exists is to remind minorities, especially Blacks, to stay in their place.  It's a reminder that whitey is in charge, no matter how the Civil War ended.  If we need them to remind our racist history, then put the goddamn things in a museum someplace, not to honor them, but to come to grips with the prejudice they represent.

Missed this the first time through. Too busy arguing with Guest.

I do not disagree with you at all. You are exactly right and they should all come down, but not necessarily be destroyed. My point was about the need to always confront the sins of our past. If we do not confront and stay vigilant about those sins it makes it easier to repeat them.

I think posts from the past few days are spot on. These statues were never meant to be reminders of our history. They were meant to celebrate or memorialize certain aspects of our history, and as a Frank said, also reflect a certain social hierarchy. We don't need to celebrate or memorialize these aspects of our history with statues displayed in such open spaces, but we do need to find ways to always reflect on that history and learn to do better.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2020-06-08, 13:30; edited 3 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 13:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:We also have Vietnam statues, monuments or memorials which pretty much acknowledges the same thing. I’m sure many of the names on the wall were guilty of war crimes Yet no clamoring to bring them down. I’m sure there are or will be gulf war Monuments. We have WWII monuments. We imprisoned Japanese for being Japanese. I’m sure the list is longer than we’d like to admit. George Custer? You have to be very careful when applying today’s standards and morality to past history.

We should take down names of people guilty of war crimes if we know they are guilty of war crimes.

I don’t view memorials, statues, or monuments of the Vietnam war as a celebration.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 13:10

Andrew Jackson has a sweet statue.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 13:11

William Henry Harrison has a sweet statue.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 13:12

kingstonlake wrote:

I don’t view memorials, statues, or monuments of the Vietnam war as a celebration.

I don’t know of any of the specific generals that promoted the flawed cause either. I see some of the victims. Which again, is the equivalent of a statue of a slave.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-06-08, 13:13

kingstonlake wrote:Andrew Jackson has a sweet statue.

That should be taken down and his picture being on the 20 is clown bullshit (and is also a cause people talk about a lot so)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 13:13

So does Zachary Taylor.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-08, 13:35

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Statues are built to honor or venerate the subject. This is not my opinion, this is fact.

kingstonlake wrote:

Memorials =/= statues

He was president, the statue was built to honor him.

kingstonlake wrote:William Henry Harrison has a sweet statue.

kingstonlake wrote:So does Zachary Taylor.

Setting aside valid arguments about whether or not statues of some of these presidents ought to come down, you're proving my point that they were put up in the first place to honor the subject.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-06-08, 13:48

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Statues are built to honor or venerate the subject. This is not my opinion, this is fact.

kingstonlake wrote:

Memorials =/= statues

kingstonlake wrote:William Henry Harrison has a sweet statue.

kingstonlake wrote:So does Zachary Taylor.

Setting aside valid arguments about whether or not statues of some of these presidents ought to come down, you're proving my point that they were put up in the first place to honor the subject.

Why did I visit statues, memorials, or monuments in the south? To honor them? Why did I visit battle fields? To honor the confederacy?The answer is no. It’s obvious why statues were built in the 1800’s. But it’s 2020.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-06-08, 13:55

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Memorials =/= statues

Why did I visit statues, memorials, or monuments in the south? To honor them? Why did I visit battle fields? To honor the confederacy?The answer is no. It’s obvious why statues were built in the 1800’s. But it’s 2020.

I have no idea why you do the things you do. I don't know why you think Cake by the Ocean is the best song.

The battlefields, memorials, that stuff is mostly fine. Statues of traitorous cocksuckers like Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis should never have been built, and should have been demolished the second they were installed on public property. I don't know what you think society stands to gain by leaving them alone, but I'm quite sure you're wrong to think it.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-06-08, 14:02

You're going to remove names of people that were never tried/convicted of war crimes?

And who decides who is guilty of war crimes? And then where do you draw the line? People in the South will then say no statues of Sherman, Grant, and others because they consider them guilty of war crimes. And then some will say no statues of Truman. Probably better remove any statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, as well.

I'm not all that bothered either way. I see the argument with the Civil War figures, but people seem to be drawing lines at arbitrary places. If you want to say no statues for anyone who fought for the confederacy, then why not for anyone who owned slaves in the first place? Why not anyone who helped further/extend the existence of slavery?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next