Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuck it- statues

+18
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Dr. Strangelove
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
kingstonlake
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
Frank Ricard
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
tGreenWay
Cameron
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
22 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Fuck it- statues - Page 9 Empty Re: Fuck it- statues

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 11:30

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

You really are determined to be on the same side of this issue as Donnie, huh?

There it is. And you wonder why people don’t want to attempt legitimate conversation. What’s life like on the opposite side of the same coin?

What are you talking about? Take a look at your own conduct for a second. You keep posting non-sequiturs, refuse to elaborate, and get all pissy when you receive pushback.

Get your head out of your ass.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-07-06, 11:43

kingstonlake wrote:When do the book burnings start?

Do you even read, bro?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 12:09

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

There it is. And you wonder why people don’t want to attempt legitimate conversation. What’s life like on the opposite side of the same coin?

What are you talking about? Take a look at your own conduct for a second. You keep posting non-sequiturs, refuse to elaborate, and get all pissy when you receive pushback.

Push back? LOL, you just told someone they were determined to be on the same side of an issue As Trump for having a different opinion on something than you do.

You’re the other side of the same coin.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 12:10

Turtleneck wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:When do the book burnings start?

Do you even read, bro?

With help.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 12:12

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Push back? LOL, you just told someone they were determined to be on the same side of an issue As Trump for having a different opinion on something than you do.

No, I don't tell people they're on team Trump when they disagree with me. I tell people they are on team Trump when they agree with Donald Trump, as you seem to when it comes to statues and monuments.

What coin is that?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 12:19

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

No, I don't tell people they're on team Trump when they disagree with me. I tell people they are on team Trump when they agree with Donald Trump, as you seem to when it comes to statues and monuments.

What coin is that?

Except that I don't agree with him. Wait..... you’re a Bernie bro, right? Refresh my memory.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 12:24

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

What coin is that?

Except that I don't agree with him. Wait..... you’re a Bernie bro, right? Refresh my memory.

Maybe I'm unclear on your position because you refuse to elucidate it. Help me out. Are you for or against tearing down statues of problematic historical figures?

Not that it matters, I prefer Bernie to Biden, but I am firmly in the #YangGang if I have to align myself with any of them.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 12:46

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Maybe I'm unclear on your position because you refuse to elucidate it. Help me out. Are you for or against tearing down statues of problematic historical figures?

Not that it matters, I prefer Bernie to Biden, but I am firmly in the #YangGang if I have to align myself with any of them.

I couldn’t be more against tearing down “problematic” statues. Way to vague. As I’ve stated in the past I completely understand tearing down statues of confederate soldiers or generals. I personally don’t viewing them as anything but historical references. I can understand why some would view them as honoring the memory of racism and have no problem with them coming down. I also think any federal facility or base named after a confederate general should be re-named.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 14:35

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I couldn’t be more against tearing down “problematic” statues. Way to vague. As I’ve stated in the past I completely understand tearing down statues of confederate soldiers or generals. I personally don’t viewing them as anything but historical references.  I can understand why some would view them as honoring the memory of racism and have no problem with them coming down. I also think any federal facility or base named after a confederate general should be re-named.

So tearing down Confederate statues is okay, but you think Columbus is a bridge too far, then? I disagree, and I am prepared to discuss the merits of Columbus, but you've made it clear that you want no part of that discussion.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-07-06, 14:41

I still think there needs to be a process around taking down these statues. You can't just have a mob going around ripping down statues.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 14:45

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I couldn’t be more against tearing down “problematic” statues. Way to vague. As I’ve stated in the past I completely understand tearing down statues of confederate soldiers or generals. I personally don’t viewing them as anything but historical references.  I can understand why some would view them as honoring the memory of racism and have no problem with them coming down. I also think any federal facility or base named after a confederate general should be re-named.

So tearing down Confederate statues is okay, but you think Columbus is a bridge too far, then? I disagree, and I am prepared to discuss the merits of Columbus, but you've made it clear that you want no part of that discussion.

Yes, I think it’s a bridge to far. Also you don’t think he discovered the lands he discovered so...... why bother Fuck it- statues - Page 9 2599972566
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 14:46

steveschneider wrote:I still think there needs to be a process around taking down these statues. You can't just have a mob going around ripping down statues.

Apparently if anyone views them as “problematic”, it’s ok.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 15:00

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Yes, I think it’s a bridge to far. Also you don’t think he discovered the lands he discovered so...... why bother Fuck it- statues - Page 9 2599972566

Like I said, how can a motherfucker get credit for discovering a land where people had been living for literally hundreds of years?

Columbus: "Behold, I have discovered the new world!"
Other guy: "What about those people over there, didn't they discover it first?"
Columbus: "That doesn't count, they're not European."
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-07-06, 15:03

kingstonlake wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I still think there needs to be a process around taking down these statues. You can't just have a mob going around ripping down statues.

Apparently if anyone views them as “problematic”, it’s ok.

Yeah, I feel like there's shaming of people that are bothered by it too.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 15:25

Breaking news. Nothing can be discovered that was already there. Sorry dudes who discovered elements, sorry dudes who discovered minerals, sorry people who discovered planets, sorry people who discovered new species. In that time and era it literally was discovering a new world. Just because people lived there doesn’t mean it was t discovered. Spoiler alert. Europeans didn’t come here until it was discovered.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 15:28

kingstonlake wrote:Breaking news. Nothing can be discovered that was already there. Sorry dudes who discovered elements, sorry dudes who discovered minerals, sorry people who discovered planets, sorry people who discovered new species. In that time and era it literally was discovering a new world. Just because people lived there doesn’t mean it was t discovered. Spoiler alert. Europeans didn’t come here until it was discovered.

If someone claims to have discovered a mineral, but people had been using that mineral for hundreds of years, the person claiming to have discovered it would be laughed out of the room.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 15:49

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Breaking news. Nothing can be discovered that was already there. Sorry dudes who discovered elements, sorry dudes who discovered minerals, sorry people who discovered planets, sorry people who discovered new species. In that time and era it literally was discovering a new world. Just because people lived there doesn’t mean it was t discovered. Spoiler alert. Europeans didn’t come here until it was discovered.

If someone claims to have discovered a mineral, but people had been using that mineral for hundreds of years, the person claiming to have discovered it would be laughed out of the room.

You’re going to extraordinary lengths to be offended by a statue of Columbus.

Btw I discovered a great new fishing hole over the weekend in the U.P. I hope that doesn’t offend you.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 15:56

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Btw I discovered a great new fishing hole over the weekend in the U.P. I hope that doesn’t offend you.
I'm not offended by the statue, nor am I offended by it being torn down. I recognize that he is a symbol of colonialism and oppression to many, however, and I am accordingly sympathetic to their antipathy for him. To indigenous peoples, he personifies the sine qua non of the genocide of their people and culture. Compared to that, what do us white guys really lose from having the statue come down?

Enjoy your fishing.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 16:07

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I'm not offended by the statue, nor am I offended by it being torn down. I recognize that he is a symbol of colonialism and oppression to many, however, and I am accordingly sympathetic to their antipathy for him. To indigenous peoples, he personifies the sine qua non of the genocide of their people and culture. Compared to that, what do us white guys really lose from having the statue come down?

Enjoy your fishing.

As I said likewise concerning native Americans. People are making quite the leap tying Columbus to the oppression of others. Applying today’s definition of oppression to standards of 500 years ago is ridiculous. We did that as a nation 200-300 years after he discovered what lay across the Atlantic.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-06, 16:17

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Enjoy your fishing.

As I said likewise concerning native Americans. People are making quite the leap tying Columbus to the oppression of others. Applying today’s definition of oppression to standards of 500 years ago is ridiculous. We did that as a nation 200-300 years after he discovered what lay across the Atlantic.

I don't think it's that big of a leap to tie Columbus to oppression. He brought captives back with him on his return voyage to Europe. Pretty clearly oppression, and also an ominous statement of intent.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-06, 16:39

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a leap to tie Columbus to oppression. He brought captives back with him on his return voyage to Europe. Pretty clearly oppression, and also an ominous statement of intent.

500 years ago......When slavery was common place in the world. Should we erase every known symbol of US presidents, governors, senators, representatives, etc before blacks and women were allowed to vote? Jesus, people spend every minute of every day trying to being offended.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-07-07, 07:06

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

500 years ago......When slavery was common place in the world. Should we erase every known symbol of US presidents, governors, senators, representatives, etc before blacks and women were allowed to vote? Jesus, people spend every minute of every day trying to being offended.

Why not? The people that are bitching about the statues coming down probably never even had a clue the statues existed before they made the news. Hell, I'd be willing to bet most of them blew off the only history class they ever had.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-07-07, 08:18

The Spartan statues on campus need to come down as they are a symbol of the oppression and brutal enslavement of the Helots.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 08:47

Jake from State Farm wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Why not? The people that are bitching about the statues coming down probably never even had a clue the statues existed before they made the news. Hell, I'd be willing to bet most of them blew off the only history class they ever had.

That’s kinda cringe worthy, bro.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 08:59

Anyone want to join me in toppling the statues of father Marquette in and around the state? THEY MUST COME DOWN.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-07-07, 09:41

Trump's campaign sent out an online ad yesterday or the day before about statues. The headline was "We will protect this statue".....and it showed a picture of the Christ The Redeemer statue.....the huge, famous statue overlooking the city of Rio de Janiero, Brazil. Save our Brazilian Heritage!!!!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-07-07, 09:43

kingstonlake wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Fuck it- statues - Page 9 Giphy
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-07-07, 10:03

kingstonlake wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of the MAGA Confederate waving flag bunch that are whining about their racist Civil War hero/loser statues being removed. I'm sure there's plenty of other statues that could and should remain.

Come to think of it. How do these statues MAGA? Do they really want to go back to relive slavery and the Civil War?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 10:08

kingstonlake wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of the MAGA Confederate waving flag bunch that are whining about their racist Civil War hero/loser statues being removed. I'm sure there's plenty of other statues that could and should remain.

Come to think of it. How do these statues MAGA? Do they really want to go back to relive slavery and the Civil War?

My bad completely misinterpreted your post. Apologies
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 10:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Don’t be a lazy poster Trav!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-07-07, 10:11

kingstonlake wrote:

Fuck it- statues - Page 9 Giphy

It’s a lot more work to go find a gif than to type “you sound pretty offended rn” tbh
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-07-07, 10:29

Jake from State Farm wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the MAGA Confederate waving flag bunch that are whining about their racist Civil War hero/loser statues being removed. I'm sure there's plenty of other statues that could and should remain.

Yes?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 10:41

kingstonlake wrote:

It’s a lot more work to go find a gif than to type “you sound pretty offended rn” tbh

As I’ve stated in the past I completely understand tearing down statues of confederate soldiers or generals. I personally don’t viewing them as anything but historical references. I can understand why some would view them as honoring the memory of racism and have no problem with them coming down. I also think any federal facility or base named after a confederate general should be re-named.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-07-07, 10:57

kingstonlake wrote:Anyone want to join me in toppling the statues of father Marquette in and around the state? THEY MUST COME DOWN.

I don’t know what you’re babbling about but this sounds awfully snowflake offended tbh I’m sorry that you’re so hurt
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-07-07, 10:59

offended people yelling about people being offended

sums up america 2020 well
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-07-07, 12:11

kingstonlake wrote:Anyone want to join me in toppling the statues of father Marquette in and around the state? THEY MUST COME DOWN.

I don’t know what you’re babbling about but this sounds awfully snowflake offended tbh I’m sorry that you’re so hurt
He's all worked up about these statues. He must really love Columbus...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-07-07, 12:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:The Spartan statues on campus need to come down as they are a symbol of the oppression and brutal enslavement of the Helots.

Fuck it- statues - Page 9 1966794946 Fuck it- statues - Page 9 1966794946
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-07-07, 12:33

Cameron wrote:

He's all worked up about these statues. He must really love Columbus...

I think it’s what happens when the only history you learn is from reading the plaque on a statue.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-07-07, 13:22

Why would you? You guys don’t even know when you’re being mocked.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-07-07, 13:25

kingstonlake wrote:

Why would you? You guys don’t even know when you’re being mocked.

I’m pretty aware of what you were going for in your rant Kingston. And it was so adorbs the way that you got so worked up that you went on it in the first place.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next