Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is

+7
Clarett's Folly
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Rocinante
Da Mayor
11 posters

Go down

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  Empty Re: Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 10:29 am

gHost Spartan wrote:...and how rock and alternative rock are dead. Jesus Christ who the fuck would want to see this?

https://twitter.com/coachella/status/948346956362825728/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpitchfork.com%2Fthepitch%2F5-takeaways-from-the-2018-coachella-lineup%2F

That is pretty bad. Would you go if Belle and Sebastian were playing?
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  Empty Re: Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is

Post by Rocinante 1/4/2018, 10:32 am

I see at least a dozen bands I'd love to see (some again). And at least three of my absolute favorite performers.

Sorry they couldn't get The Cure, ghost.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 10:34 am

Rocinante wrote:I see at least a dozen bands I'd love to see (some again). And at least three of my absolute favorite performers.

Sorry they couldn't get The Cure, ghost.

Fucking millennials.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 1/4/2018, 10:34 am

I'm not going for sure.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 1/4/2018, 10:36 am

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  Captur13
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 1/4/2018, 10:38 am

Greta Van Fleet is playing Coachella, gHost.

Edit: Roc is on the job.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/4/2018, 10:44 am

I’d go. Is this the old guy thread of the day? I’m shocked that music festival line-ups don’t appeal to you, ghost. lol!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 1/4/2018, 10:46 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’d go. Is this the old guy thread of the day? I’m shocked that music festival line-ups don’t appeal to you, ghost. lol!

You going to check out AC Slater, bro?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 1/4/2018, 10:49 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’d go. Is this the old guy thread of the day? I’m shocked that music festival line-ups don’t appeal to you, ghost. lol!

Make sure to wear your dashiki.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/4/2018, 11:15 am

Rocinante wrote:

Make sure to wear your dashiki.

I was thinking a white vodka bottle with vagina lips costume to let everyone know it’s for women.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 1/4/2018, 11:15 am

Turtleneck wrote:

You going to check out AC Slater, bro?

I’m more of an Ekali or Louis the child guy, Bro.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 12:11 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:...and how rock and alternative rock are dead. Jesus Christ who the fuck would want to see this?

https://twitter.com/coachella/status/948346956362825728/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpitchfork.com%2Fthepitch%2F5-takeaways-from-the-2018-coachella-lineup%2F

Why would you let coachella dictate to you what is good or bad music?

I listen to so much new music and am constantly amazed how much good stuff is out there. All of it new and made in the last 4 to 5 years. The internet is such a powerful tool to find good stuff right now.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 1/4/2018, 12:17 pm

steveschneider wrote:

I listen to so much new music and am constantly amazed how much good stuff is out there. All of it new and made in the last 4 to 5 years. The internet is such a powerful tool to find good stuff right now.

This. Bandcamp is your friend, homies.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 1/4/2018, 12:21 pm

Beyoncé does put on a hell of a show. Plus she’s hot.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 12:26 pm

Clarett's Folly wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This. Bandcamp is your friend, homies.

Yep, pretty much whatever you like there's a scene out there that feels the same way. Do a few google searches, explore a few blogs and next thing you know you are off an running. It might not be something that is mainstream or well known but all that matters is if you enjoy listening to it. There's just so many tools out there right now for people to record themselves and publish their own music. I think it's a really exciting time for music.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 1/4/2018, 12:27 pm

steveschneider wrote:

This.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 1/4/2018, 1:25 pm

Well, considering that Beyonce and Eminem have each sold over 100 million records, I'm going to surmise that probably a lot of people would want to see this? Just guessing, though.

Honest question, as I never pay the slightest attention to Coachella, but do they usually have high profile stars like Beyonce and Eminem, or is this a reflection of Coachella becoming such a hip thing that they're drawing big commercial artists and pissing off the musical hipsters?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 1:26 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Well, considering that Beyonce and Eminem have each sold over 100 million records, I'm going to surmise that probably a lot of people would want to see this? Just guessing, though.

Honest question, as I never pay the slightest attention to Coachella, but do they usually have high profile stars like Beyonce and Eminem, or is this a reflection of Coachella becoming such a hip thing that they're drawing big commercial artists and pissing off the musical hipsters?

Coachella and similar festivals should be for indie rock-type artists, not this rap/hip hop/R&B bullshit.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 1/4/2018, 1:37 pm

Da Mayor wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Well, considering that Beyonce and Eminem have each sold over 100 million records, I'm going to surmise that probably a lot of people would want to see this?  Just guessing, though.

Coachella and similar festivals should be for indie rock-type artists, not this rap/hip hop/R&B bullshit.
That's what I always assumed Coachella was, which is why I was surprised to see Beyonce and Eminem (which prompted my question about whether this is a new thing for them to have big stars like that).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 1/4/2018, 1:45 pm

This thread in a nutshell;

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  888
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 1/4/2018, 1:50 pm

Clarett's Folly wrote:This thread in a nutshell;

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  888

gHost in a nutshell:

Coachella 2018 lineup absolutely sucks ass - highlights how bad contemporary music is  WGFA4fB

(Love you gHost)
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 1:53 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

That's their roots. Glastonbury in the California desert.

Yup. This lineup is just so all the concert goers can relieve some white guilt.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 1:54 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

That's what I always assumed Coachella was, which is why I was surprised to see Beyonce and Eminem (which prompted my question about whether this is a new thing for them to have big stars like that).

Not new for them to have big stars, but new to have those types of big stars.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 5:15 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I've discovered some great new bands as well. But one of the glaring omissions are those gigantic classic alternative rock albums (OK Computer, Black Parade, Mellon Collie, etc.) anymore. Lots of fun indie bands but not enough that define an era in that genre.

The youngest album you've listed came out almost 12 years ago. There's been a lot of good shit since then. You ever check out Kurt Vile? I think his album Walking on a Pretty Daze is pretty damn good. It takes 3-4 good listens for it to really resonate but imo it's solid. I don't know though, for the most part it seems like the album is dead. I find a lot of just one off singles that have an amazing hook or great sound that I really like.

Another, indie suggesting you ever check out Car Seat Headrest? Some of the songs are an amazing wall of sound.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 5:24 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The youngest album you've listed came out almost 12 years ago. There's been a lot of good shit since then. You ever check out Kurt Vile? I think his album Walking on a Pretty Daze is pretty damn good. It takes 3-4 good listens for it to really resonate but imo it's solid. I don't know though, for the most part it seems like the album is dead. I find a lot of just one off singles that have an amazing hook or great sound that I really like.

Another, indie suggesting you ever check out Car Seat Headrest? Some of the songs are an amazing wall of sound.
Not a huge Kurt Vile fan but I do like Car Seat Headrest. I haven't really fallen head over heels for them but I have a few of their songs on playlists. A band I really like is DMA's, an Australian band. Also discovered another Australian band I like called Sticky Fingers. I just miss the big alternative rock albums. The kind of record that every single fucking song is good. Like the Strokes and Interpol's debut albums. Just haven't seen much of them anymore. Alternative guitar rock is dead too. I miss that shit. It's weird because take a band like Tame Impala and some of their songs are absolutely amazing, brilliant stuff... but then I can't get into all of their work, maybe 1/4 of it.

You gonna get the 3 EPs Belle and Sebastian are the midst of releasing, bro?
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 5:28 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Not a huge Kurt Vile fan but I do like Car Seat Headrest. I haven't really fallen head over heels for them but I have a few of their songs on playlists. A band I really like is DMA's, an Australian band. Also discovered another Australian band I like called Sticky Fingers. I just miss the big alternative rock albums. The kind of record that every single fucking song is good. Like the Strokes and Interpol's debut albums. Just haven't seen much of them anymore. Alternative guitar rock is dead too. I miss that shit. It's weird because take a band like Tame Impala and some of their songs are absolutely amazing, brilliant stuff... but then I can't get into all of their work, maybe 1/4 of it.

I saw Tame Impala play in Brooklyn. They were fresh off the plane from Australia and played a terrible gig. Ha! I loved that first hit single they came out with.

Give Waking on a Pretty Daze another chance. I think it's all killer and no filler.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 1/4/2018, 5:30 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:
Da Mayor wrote:

You gonna get the 3 EPs Belle and Sebastian are the midst of releasing, bro?
I'll listen to them but not really interested in them anymore, although I did like a few songs from I think their most recent album.

A couple of the new songs off the EPs that they played at the show this summer sounded pretty damn good.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 5:41 pm

Check out Cigarettes After Sex. I need to listen to them more, but I heard a few songs I liked a lot.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 5:44 pm

Also, Bill Callahan has put out some mind blowing complete albums. They are depressing, but his last three are great. I saw him live once, dude can fucking sing. He's pretty much Leondard Cohen for the 21st century.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 1/4/2018, 6:04 pm

steveschneider wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

I've discovered some great new bands as well. But one of the glaring omissions are those gigantic classic alternative rock albums (OK Computer, Black Parade, Mellon Collie, etc.) anymore. Lots of fun indie bands but not enough that define an era in that genre.

This trend really makes it kind of awkward at concerts, when few people know more than a couple of songs.  But with the way music can be accessed these days, it's easy to just listen to a few.

I'll admit that I will usually pick out a few favorites from an album, add them to a playlist, and then rarely listen to the rest of the album again.  However, I do always get the full album and give it several full listens before separating out my favorites, but that's because there are often some gems that might not catch my attention right away, but after a couple of listens I will notice it get into my head.

I understand it, though. It's a fast moving digital age that we're in, and we have so many things to be doing, it's hard to spend a lot of time with a full album.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 1/4/2018, 6:40 pm

steveschneider wrote:Also, Bill Callahan has put out some mind blowing complete albums. They are depressing, but his last three are great. I saw him live once, dude can fucking sing. He's pretty much Leondard Cohen for the 21st century.

He nearly tanked the Nebraska program.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 1/4/2018, 6:52 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This trend really makes it kind of awkward at concerts, when few people know more than a couple of songs.  But with the way music can be accessed these days, it's easy to just listen to a few.

I'll admit that I will usually pick out a few favorites from an album, add them to a playlist, and then rarely listen to the rest of the album again.  However, I do always get the full album and give it several full listens before separating out my favorites, but that's because there are often some gems that might not catch my attention right away, but after a couple of listens I will notice it get into my head.

I understand it, though. It's a fast moving digital age that we're in, and we have so many things to be doing, it's hard to spend a lot of time with a full album.

Yeah, I still really enjoy complete albums but I think a lot of it is just a numbers game at this point. There’s more bands recording now than ever and occasionally one will hit a homerun.

There’s just not as much money in music and it’s so hard for bands to make a living on it so that’s probably a big factor killing off the albums.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 1/12/2018, 10:46 am

I went to Coachella a few years ago when Outkast was headlining and it was awesome. The lineup from that year puts this one to shame though.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down