Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pasties

+24
Floyd Robertson
DWags
GRR Spartan
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
Spartytruth
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Zurn
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Heat Miser
TrapperGus
NigelUno
Turtleneck
Motown Spartan
AvgMSUJoe
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
WhiteBoyHatcher
Senior Dickfist
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
tGreenWay
28 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Pasties - Page 4 Empty Re: Pasties

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-06, 17:49

Motown Spartan wrote:A self-proclaimed "purist" would know that only the Cornish pasty is a real pasty. Anything else isn't a pasty at all. Kind of like your rutabaga argument.

Unless it's made in Cornwall, a "Cornish" pasty is just a meat pie.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-06, 18:04

I'm 99% Genesee county Austrian. What ever the fuck that is.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 18:06

NigelUno wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:A self-proclaimed "purist" would know that only the Cornish pasty is a real pasty. Anything else isn't a pasty at all. Kind of like your rutabaga argument.

Been waiting for Motown's response to your link/review of Au Train Grocery pasty.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-09-06, 18:25

Some where in Cornwall there's a Pasty Fascist that is disgusted that we dice our vegetables for the filling instead of slice them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-06, 18:34

Thread is useless without pictures

Pasties

Pasties - Page 4 1af7b810
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 18:52

Pasties - Page 4 1486952199  But, it took 3+ years for someone to finally understand the intent of this thread.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-06, 18:54

The Pantry wrote:Pasties - Page 4 1486952199  But, it took 3+ years for someone to finally understand the intent of this thread.

We know who started the thread.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 18:55

kingstonlake wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Pasties - Page 4 1486952199  But, it took 3+ years for someone to finally understand the intent of this thread.

Go eat your hillbilly meatloaf
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-06, 19:12

The Pantry wrote:I'm a pasty purist:

1) Despite being 99.2% Finnish/Upper Peninsula, I prefer Cornish to Finnish pasties. The only real difference is Finnish pasties have carrots and Cornish do not. I think carrots add too much sweetness and are not necessary. Meat, potatoes, onion, and rutabaga only as the filling ingredients.

2) Rutabaga is a must. It's the ingredient that gives pasty that distinctive smell and flavor. Has sort of a peppery flavor as well as some sweetness. Possibly the most underrated root vegetable.

3) The dough must be made cutting cold lard into the flour...never Crisco or any other vegetable shortening. Substituting beef tallow or duck fat for the lard is acceptable.

4) Using regular grind ground meat is lame. Use cubed/diced meat. Never tried it but a course chili grind might work. The meat has to have a little bite to it.

5) A properly made pasty can and should be eaten with your hands.

6) A properly made pasty requires no gravy or ketchup. If anything, cold slivers of butter applied before each bite of a hot pasty.

7) There is no such thing as a chicken, turkey, or veggie pasty.

8) If you add cheese to the filling mix, you made a weird calzone...not a pasty.

You were doing good until the butter - no miner was taking butter down with him

Finnish pasties???

Textually, the earliest known reference to the pasty contribute it to the Cornish. From 1150 to 1190 a man by the name of Chretien de Troyes wrote several Arthurian romances for the Countess of Champagne. In one of them, Eric and Enide, it mentions pasties: "Next Guivret opened a chest and took out two pasties. "my friend," says he, "now try a little of these cold pasties And you shall drink wine mixed with water...." " Both Guivret and Eric came from various parts of what today is considered Cornwall.

Pasties originated in the English upper classes and migrated down to Cornish miners. The Fins picked it up from the Cornish miners in Copper Country.

TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-06, 19:14

Oh we understood, all right, from the first post, however the OP provided the posibility of a thread highjack into a more interesting subject.

Dude - Boobs are boring!
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 19:25

TrapperGus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I'm a pasty purist:

1) Despite being 99.2% Finnish/Upper Peninsula, I prefer Cornish to Finnish pasties. The only real difference is Finnish pasties have carrots and Cornish do not. I think carrots add too much sweetness and are not necessary. Meat, potatoes, onion, and rutabaga only as the filling ingredients.

2) Rutabaga is a must. It's the ingredient that gives pasty that distinctive smell and flavor. Has sort of a peppery flavor as well as some sweetness. Possibly the most underrated root vegetable.

3) The dough must be made cutting cold lard into the flour...never Crisco or any other vegetable shortening. Substituting beef tallow or duck fat for the lard is acceptable.

4) Using regular grind ground meat is lame. Use cubed/diced meat. Never tried it but a course chili grind might work. The meat has to have a little bite to it.

5) A properly made pasty can and should be eaten with your hands.

6) A properly made pasty requires no gravy or ketchup. If anything, cold slivers of butter applied before each bite of a hot pasty.

7) There is no such thing as a chicken, turkey, or veggie pasty.

8) If you add cheese to the filling mix, you made a weird calzone...not a pasty.

Finnish pasties???

Textually, the earliest known reference to the pasty contribute it to the Cornish. From 1150 to 1190 a man by the name of Chretien de Troyes wrote several Arthurian romances for the Countess of Champagne. In one of them, Eric and Enide, it mentions pasties: "Next Guivret opened a chest and took out two pasties. "my friend," says he, "now try a little of these cold pasties And you shall drink wine mixed with water...." " Both Guivret and Eric came from various parts of what today is considered Cornwall.

Pasties originated in the English upper classes and migrated down to Cornish miners. The Fins picked it up from the Cornish miners in Copper Country.

Yes, the U.P. Finns put their spin on the Cornish pasty. Yes, no miner was taking butter in the copper mine. And they didn't take gravy or ketchup either. A well made pasty stands on its own. Very difficult to find now.

I grew up with Finnish pasty. It's been a learning experience. Took 30 years to discover carrot wasn't necessary.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-06, 19:29

The Pantry wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Finnish pasties???

Textually, the earliest known reference to the pasty contribute it to the Cornish.  From 1150 to 1190 a man by the name of Chretien de Troyes wrote several Arthurian romances for the Countess of Champagne.  In one of them, Eric and Enide, it mentions pasties:  "Next Guivret opened a chest and took out two pasties.  "my friend," says he, "now try a little of these cold pasties And you shall drink wine mixed with water...." " Both Guivret and Eric came from various parts of what today is considered Cornwall.

Pasties originated in the English upper classes and migrated down to Cornish miners.  The Fins picked it up from the Cornish miners in Copper Country.

Yes, the U.P. Finns put their spin on the Cornish pasty.  Yes, no miner was taking butter in the copper mine.  And they didn't take gravy or ketchup either.  A well made pasty stands on its own.  Very difficult to find now.

I grew up with Finnish pasty.  It's been a learning experience.  Took 30 years to discover carrot wasn't necessary.

Okay - I like carrots too, but would really like to see the pasties of my UP youth again.

Remember a shop on 41 going into Houghton, old guy, drove down his driveway to his garage which he had converted to a pasty shop. Great pasty.  Probably an old miner who died not long after I was there in the 1970's.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-06, 19:37

TrapperGus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Yes, the U.P. Finns put their spin on the Cornish pasty.  Yes, no miner was taking butter in the copper mine.  And they didn't take gravy or ketchup either.  A well made pasty stands on its own.  Very difficult to find now.

I grew up with Finnish pasty.  It's been a learning experience.  Took 30 years to discover carrot wasn't necessary.

Okay - I like carrots too, but would really like to see the pasties of my UP youth again.

Remember a shop on 41 going into Houghton, old guy, drove down his driveway to his garage which he had converted to a pasty shop. Great pasty.  Probably an old miner who died not long after I was there in the 1970's.

THOSE PASTIES WERE PEOPLEEEEEEEEE

ITS PEOPLEEEEEEEEE
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-09-06, 19:37

I wonder if they had any pasties while up north.

[tw]1434957687041794051?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-06, 19:37

NigelUno wrote:

My wife is 100% half Cornish descent.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-06, 19:38

The Pantry wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Been waiting for Motown's response to your link/review of Au Train Grocery pasty.

Meh, I'm not deterred by it. He's wrong. And they do have rutabaga, but they shred their veggies and used ground beef.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-06, 19:44

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Been waiting for Motown's response to your link/review of Au Train Grocery pasty.

Meh, I'm not deterred by it. He's wrong. And they do have rutabaga, but they shred their veggies and used ground beef.

Is that the place built into the side of a bluff across 28 from the lake?
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 19:48

TrapperGus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

There was a place just off 41 in Negaunee called Red Onion that was excellent. Stopped there on the way back downstate to pick up a dozen one trip. Pasties weren't that big. Ate three of them before we got to the bridge. Got a motel and went to bed. Few hours later I started going off like a cannon. Nasty farts, the kind where even you don't want to be with yourself. Drove the rest of the way home next day with the windows down.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

TrapperGus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-06, 19:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Pasties are basically Hot Pockets. They're not worth discussing really. Plenty of better food options out there.

I miss this poster.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-06, 19:50

The Pantry wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Go eat your hillbilly meatloaf

Go eat your fast food deep fried chicken sandwich, chubs.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-06, 19:53

The Pantry wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

There was a place just off 41 in Negaunee called Red Onion that was excellent. Stopped there on the way back downstate to pick up a dozen one trip. Pasties weren't that big. Ate three of them before we got to the bridge. Got a motel and went to bed. Few hours later I started going off like a cannon. Nasty farts, the kind where even you don't want to be with yourself. Drove the rest of the way home next day with the windows down.

There is such a thing as too much rutabaga, too...

Potatoes, onions and beef shouldn't be doing that to anyone...
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-09-06, 20:20

TrapperGus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:There was a place just off 41 in Negaunee called Red Onion that was excellent. Stopped there on the way back downstate to pick up a dozen one trip. Pasties weren't that big. Ate three of them before we got to the bridge. Got a motel and went to bed. Few hours later I started going off like a cannon. Nasty farts, the kind where even you don't want to be with yourself. Drove the rest of the way home next day with the windows down.

Love rutabaga. A family staple for Thanksgiving dinner. Pile of mashed rutabaga next to the mashed potatoes. Excellent with turkey gravy.

The flatulence side affect only occurs when the rutabaga is in a pasty. Completely worth it for the flavor it adds.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-09-06, 22:15

TrapperGus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

No, that's Hillside in Munising. This is about 15 miles west of Munising.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 07:40

The Pantry wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Love rutabaga. A family staple for Thanksgiving dinner. Pile of mashed rutabaga next to the mashed potatoes. Excellent with turkey gravy.

The flatulence side affect only occurs when the rutabaga is in a pasty. Completely worth it for the flavor it adds.

Okay - undercooked probably, or other ingredients than a traditionally pasty.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 07:41

Motown Spartan wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Back in the day they made a great pasty.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-07, 07:54

TrapperGus wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Love rutabaga. A family staple for Thanksgiving dinner. Pile of mashed rutabaga next to the mashed potatoes. Excellent with turkey gravy.

Undercooked/farting would be dangerous in a mine.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 07:59

NigelUno wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Undercooked/farting would be dangerous in a mine.

Hard rock mining is more about CO2 than burnable gases. Thinking with all the wrestling of heavy equipment there was lots of farting.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-07, 08:05

TrapperGus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Pretty much a liquor store now.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-07, 08:09

kingstonlake wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Pretty much a liquor store now.

Well it was way way back, on our way from Ishpeming to Grand Maris on weekend camping trips my dad would stop there to buy pasties.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-09-05, 23:35

Michigan town to host Pasty Olympics to salute the tasty meat pies

It's a hand-held meat pie that's become a staple in Michigan's Upper Peninsula: the humble pasty. The tiny village of Calumet, population 621 as of the 2020 census, is saluting the dish with the inaugural Pasty Fest Olympics.

Pasties are so popular, in fact, that they've become an icon of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, even sparking debates over the right way to eat a pasty, and which recipes are the most authentic.

The Pasty Fest Olympics will take place Saturday, Aug. 19, in the Village of Calumet on the Keweenaw Peninsula, not far from Wisconsin.

Events include the Pasty Pull, Pasty Relay Race and Pasty Fest Art Prize. Events run from noon to 4 p.m.

The Pasty Pull begins at 2 p.m. when contestants will be challenged by who has the most strength to pull a truck as fast as they can down a street in Calumet. All competitors will get 5 minutes to complete the challenge. The top prize is $500. Registration is currently open, but only a limited number of people are allowed to participate in each contest.

For the relay race, the prizes will be broken down into three categories: the fastest pasty maker, the most appetizing pasty and the team of creators wearing the best costume. The tournament itself will start at 1 p.m. Players will then race to assemble the biggest pastry, ensuring each one has all the essentials needed for the pie like the crust, filling, the bake and of course the pinch and crimp along the sides of the crust. The winner will take home “everlasting glory,” according to the festival website.

Traditional Pasty

Dough:

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

3/4 cup ice water

1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water

Filling:

1 pound coarse ground round steak

1/4 to 1/2 pound coarse ground pork (from the shoulder or roast)

1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup rutabaga (or turnip), diced into 1/4-inch pieces

1 cup potato, diced into 1/4-inch pieces

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon shortening

Freep paywall. I cut and pasted some of it. Let’s all meet at Calymet next august.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-09-06, 00:26

No butter in the dough. Lard, tallow, or duck fat only.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-09-06, 05:17

Define “not far from Wisconsin” for us please.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-09-06, 06:57

The Pantry wrote:No butter in the dough. Lard, tallow, or duck fat only.

Just an FYI according to the Cornish Pasty Association you have the option of using lard or white shortening. They also have butter listed in their ingredients for the crust. They are the OG experts on this matter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-09-06, 09:10

steveschneider wrote:
The Pantry wrote:No butter in the dough.  Lard, tallow, or duck fat only.

Just an FYI according to the Cornish Pasty Association you have the option of using lard or white shortening. They also have butter listed in their ingredients for the crust. They are the OG experts on this matter.

How dare you question THE Pantry when it comes to pasties, all thing Up North, and not-at-all funny sitcoms!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-09-06, 09:29

Isn't ground beef cheating?

All the pasties I had as a kid in the UP in the 1960's, when there were still deep rock mines in operation, used cubed chunks of meat, beef I think, not pork, which generally were chewy, if not tough and grisly.

Ground meat as a filling is the invention of us weak jawed baby boomers.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-09-06, 10:51

Motown Spartan wrote:Define “not far from Wisconsin” for us please.
Yeah, our bartender this summer said she had to get some test done in Green Bay... I looked it up and it was like 4 hours. That's when the wife and I decided up living wasn't for us. (And I was seeing QOTSA the next week, looked it up and the closest show to them was Minneapolis... yikes.)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-09-06, 11:02

Trapper Gus wrote:Isn't ground beef cheating?

All the pasties I had as a kid in the UP in the 1960's, when there were still deep rock mines in operation, used cubed chunks of meat, beef I think, not pork, which generally were chewy, if not tough and grisly.

Ground meat as a filling is the invention of us weak jawed baby boomers.

Some people had fancy food processors back in the day.

Pasties - Page 4 Hqdefault
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-09-06, 17:11

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

How dare you question THE Pantry when it comes to pasties, all thing Up North, and not-at-all funny sitcoms!!
Shortening is suggested as a substitute for those that either can't get or don't want to use lard.  Using it in place of lard will result in inferior pasty dough...FACT.  Never heard of Cornish butter in pasty dough, because that's a Cornish recipe, not a UP recipe.  Maybe it works well mixed with lard but I'll never know because Cornish butter isn't sold in the states TMK.  Damn sure UP Cornish miners couldn't get it so the Cornish recipe evolved into using straight lard...the UP Cornish pasty.  

Has your 50% Cornish wife ever made pasty with Cornish butter?

Anyone that can't get at least a few chuckles out of Two & Half Men must be lacking sense of humor.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-09-06, 17:33

I want to be authentic. Can I use regular duck fat, or does it have to be Cornish duck fat?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-09-06, 17:54

NigelUno wrote:I want to be authentic. Can I use regular duck fat, or does it have to be Cornish duck fat?
UP duck fat, only.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next