Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys)

+13
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
steveschneider
SawGreen
MSU addict
MiamiSpartan
I.B. Fine
Dr. Strangelove
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
Watch Out Pylon!
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) Empty First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys)

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:42

What is the first movie you remember seeing in theaters? Maybe this is a dumb question because people don't remember what their first memories are of some crappy movie their parents took them to when they were 5 or 6. Anyway, I have a strong memory of going to see The Last Unicorn. It was a big deal for me because I only got tv time on Saturday mornings for cartoons. It was an animated film about a magical unicorn and an evil flaming bull trying to kill it or something. The movie itself wasn't a classic by any means but it did star the Dude and Christopher Lee. That's not too shabby. One of the next movies I remember going to see was Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Pretty solid 2nd movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Unicorn_(film)

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:56; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) Empty Re: First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys)

Post by Death Roe Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:46

Jurassic Park.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) Empty Re: First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys)

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:47

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:47

Dr. Doolittle at the drive-in thee atre.

The original one. 1967 or whatever.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:48

LooseGoose wrote:Tora! Tora! Tora!

No shit. Aside from my Dr. Doolittle thing, it would either be this or The Andromeda Strain, whichever came first.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:49

Did movies have sound when you were a kid Goose?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:49

Black panther
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:

No shit. Aside from my Dr. Doolittle thing, it would either be this or The Andromeda Strain, whichever came first.

My parents were big on taking us all to drive ins but I don't remember the movies. We were usually up at the playground.

That's the first actual movie I remember going to, it came out in Sept of 70 but I'm pretty sure my Grandma took me over Christmas break because she knew I liked reading war books and watching war movies on the TeeVee.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Black panther

#fakenewsTravis
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 8:57

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

My parents were big on taking us all to drive ins but I don't remember the movies. We were usually up at the playground.

That's the first actual movie I remember going to, it came out in Sept of 70 but I'm pretty sure my Grandma took me over Christmas break because she knew I liked reading war books and watching war movies on the TeeVee.

If Tora Tora Tora was 1970, then that's also my first. The Andromeda Strain wasn't until 2-4 years later.

I saw Tora Tora Tora at the Mai Kai in Southfield with the whole family.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Did movies have sound when you were a kid Goose?

Yes, and we even had translators so we knew what the hated enemies were plotting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:23

These are a lot better movies than I was expecting.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:29

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Black panther

#fakenewsTravis
I saw it yesterday it was my first time. It was pretty cool. Screen way big.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

#fakenewsTravis
I saw it yesterday it was my first time. It was pretty cool. Screen way big.

I wish nothing but bad things happen to you from now on.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:37

Saturday Night Fever.

I was 7.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Saturday Night Fever.

I was 7.

Did you have a white suit?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:47

LooseGoose wrote:

I was 7.

no white suit, but I did have some serious dance moves.

I remember getting a velour zipper shirt shortly thereafter.. with a gold French horn necklace - I was rockin' it at the local elementary school.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

no white suit, but I did have some serious dance moves.

I remember getting a velour zipper shirt shortly thereafter.. with a gold French horn necklace - I was rockin' it at the local elementary school.

Did you play French Horn? I played cornet - poorly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:50

shirt was like this..

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) 6927b6e3c9a69866da24b1eb53bdc089--zippers-mint

and the French horn necklace complimented it perfectly:

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) Il_570xN.287158204
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:51

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:no white suit, but I did have some serious dance moves.

Did you play French Horn? I played cornet - poorly.
oh heck no - like every other kid, our music class rocked the recorder (I can still play the "Rocky" theme) - then in middle school I picked up the snare drum, much to my parents (and neighbors) dismay.

I'd play along to Deep Purple and my Dad would beat on the wall and yell at me to turn down the "Acid Rock".

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 9:59

Mary Poppins re-release in 1973. I was 5.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 10:02

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Mary Poppins re-release in 1973. I was 5.

Did it move? Was this the start of your teacher issues?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 10:02

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Mary Poppins re-release in 1973. I was 5.

The whole fam went to see it the first go 'round
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 10:02

The original Star Wars at the drive in. I would have been 4 or 5. I still remember ducking behind the seat when Vader struck down Obi Wan.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 11:35

Man, I'm the third youngest poster in this thread. You guys are so old.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 11:40

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Man, I'm the third youngest poster in this thread. You guys are so old.

I think Travis and I are pretty close to the same age. I think he's slightly older than me.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 11:40

The Green Berets (1968).

My dad took me and my brother.  I assume you can figure out my father's (a former Marine who fought in Korea) feelings on the Vietnam War.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 11:59

Probably the Aristocats in 1970. Most memorable was M-78 on the roof of my neighbors station wagon. The Deep was on our screen, Alice in Wonderland Rated X was on the one next to us.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:05

First film I saw was Pinocchio.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:06

SawGreen wrote:Probably the Aristocats in 1970. Most memorable was M-78 on the roof of my neighbors station wagon. The Deep was on our screen, Alice in Wonderland Rated X was on the one next to us.

I saw that Alice In Wonderland on another screen at the drive-in Pontiac or Auburn Hills, somewhere around the Silverdome, like 1979. First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:
SawGreen wrote:Probably the Aristocats in 1970. Most memorable was M-78 on the roof of my neighbors station wagon. The Deep was on our screen, Alice in Wonderland Rated X was on the one next to us.

I saw that Alice In Wonderland on another screen at the drive-in Pontiac or Auburn Hills, somewhere around the Silverdome, like 1979. First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) 502811600

... was it a hot knight? :)
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:25

SawGreen wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

... was it a hot knight? :)

I remember exactly one scene, where I think it was Peter Rabbit says to Alice, "you can kiss the rabbit's nose" which was actually his pecker.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 12:56

The Poseidon Adventure.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 13:50

Not sure of the first one. I remember seeing a bunch of movies at the Sun Theater in Williamston. Jungle Book, Fantasia, Dr. Doolittle, Darby O’Gill & the Little People, the Disney nature films, and my favorites, the Trinity westerns, which I learned at MSU were called spaghetti westerns. I remember seeing Tora Tora Tora, but don’t recall where I first saw it.
I also remember seeing the Heartbreak Kid at the State Theater in EL, and when Cybill Shepherd got naked, my brother covered my eyes, an act for which I have never forgiven him. That’s also likely why I’ve had a lifelong attraction to Shepherd.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 13:54

I was 7.

That right there is child abuse. It explains a lot about you. First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 13:58

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

If Tora Tora Tora was 1970, then that's also my first. The Andromeda Strain wasn't until 2-4 years later.

Forgot about the Andromeda Strain. Think I saw that w/my brother at the Campus Theater in EL. I was so weirded out/fascinated by the blood that had turned to powder. Cool movie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 14:01

tGreenWay wrote:Not sure of the first one. I remember seeing a bunch of movies at the Sun Theater in Williamston. Jungle Book, Fantasia, Dr. Doolittle, Darby O’Gill & the Little People, the Disney nature films, and my favorites, the Trinity westerns, which I learned at MSU were called spaghetti westerns. I remember seeing Tora Tora Tora, but don’t recall where I first saw it.
I also remember seeing the Heartbreak Kid at the State Theater in EL, and when Cybill Shepherd got naked, my brother covered my eyes, an act for which I have never forgiven him. That’s also likely why I’ve had a lifelong attraction to Shepherd.

Why am I just learning of this I am 57 years old and I have never heard of this.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 14:02

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Forgot about the Andromeda Strain. Think I saw that w/my brother at the Campus Theater in EL. I was so weirded out/fascinated by the blood that had turned to powder. Cool movie.

Not many people know that Michael Crichton's first movie. The powdery blood thing was real cool.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 14:21

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Not sure of the first one. I remember seeing a bunch of movies at the Sun Theater in Williamston. Jungle Book, Fantasia, Dr. Doolittle, Darby O’Gill & the Little People, the Disney nature films, and my favorites, the Trinity westerns, which I learned at MSU were called spaghetti westerns. I remember seeing Tora Tora Tora, but don’t recall where I first saw it.

Why am I just learning of this I am 57 years old and I have never heard of this.

First movie you remember watching in a theater or drive in (for the ancient guys) 502811600 I don’t have any idea how naked she is because my idiot brother covered my eyes. Could be a top off, could be full body. No idea. Only thing I remember her saying was it was a test to see how close they could
get while naked without touching each other. I think it was a test of will or character.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 19 Feb 2018 - 14:23

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Not many people know that Michael Crichton's first movie. The powdery blood thing was real cool.

I didn’t know it until I went on a Michael Crichton novel reading kick some 20+ years ago. That guy was a creative genius.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next