Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..

+11
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
xsanguine
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
GRR Spartan
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
Da Mayor
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..  - Page 3 Empty Re: NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:53 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Because that’s what speakers and plenty of attendees at the ‘march for our lives’ parade stated as their end game. Add in the articles from various prominent publications.... and you wonder why paranoid conservatives think your ilk are going to order grunts to implement and enforce mandatory gun buy backs (of course you guys won’t do any dirty work yourselves... you order others to commit violence against others on your behalf)

The conservatives are right in this instance. All these new regulations will do jack to murder rates or school shootings. So when these laws fall flat.... we’ll be here once again talking about further ‘common sense’ gun laws, which will always be relative to what is already enforced. You play chess? It’s called seeing 3 moves ahead. It won’t stop at these token laws.

Yeah, nah. None of that will ever happen. Never ever ever. It's just some propoganda get get you guys all riled up. It works pretty well too.

Maybe, but the way gun control advocates advocate for Australia style gun control (which resulted in more guns in circulation than before their ban), it definitely creates that possibility.

Also, I’m hoping “it will never ever happen” is hyperbole. Voluntary gun buy backs have already been tried at the local level.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..  - Page 3 Empty Re: NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:59 am

xsanguine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Yeah, nah. None of that will ever happen. Never ever ever. It's just some propoganda get get you guys all riled up. It works pretty well too.

Maybe, but the way gun control advocates advocate for Australia style gun control (which resulted in more guns in circulation than before their ban), it definitely creates that possibility.

Also, I’m hoping “it will never ever happen” is hyperbole. Voluntary gun buy backs have already been tried at the local level.

We're not Austraila dude.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:24 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

We're not Austraila dude.

Whew, it’s a relief laws in other countries can’t be replicated here.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:03 am

Rocinante wrote:Kid was not legally allowed to posses the handgun.  NRA will use this as a "criminals won't follow the law" bullshit.

Policy solution: all guns registered.  If not reported stolen and a crime committed with your gun, you are partially liable.  Gun owners must carry insurance against their gun causing harm.

I'm sure we are not the first to think of this, but this has been rolling around in my head as well. If your gun is used in a violent crime you will be charged with a crime. If your kids grab your AK from under the couch and kills someone, you will be charged too (x degree Murder). If it is stolen, you don't report it and it is used in a violent crime, you will be charged. If you want to have guns. Great. Lock your shit up. Don't let anyone have access to them. Or spend time in pound town.

Seems pretty simple.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 am

Nordic wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Kid was not legally allowed to posses the handgun.  NRA will use this as a "criminals won't follow the law" bullshit.

Policy solution: all guns registered.  If not reported stolen and a crime committed with your gun, you are partially liable.  Gun owners must carry insurance against their gun causing harm.

I'm sure we are not the first to think of this, but this has been rolling around in my head as well. If your gun is used in a violent crime you will be charged with a crime. If your kids grab your AK from under the couch and kills someone, you will be charged too (x degree Murder). If it is stolen, you don't report it and it is used in a violent crime, you will be charged. If you want to have guns. Great. Lock your shit up. Don't let anyone have access to them. Or spend time in pound town.

Seems pretty simple.

I agree with this.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:29 am

I'm wondering why, amidst all these wonderful ideas to further regulate guns, that would have a questionable impact on future criminal gun use, I hear little or nothing about how the EXISTING laws were overlooked/not enforced, despite multiple neon red flags concerning the kid in Florida, that, if heeded, would have totally prevented that tragedy.
Seems fixing what's already in place would be the more  immediate and productive way to start.
....and shit canning that clown of a sheriff in Broward County would seem to be a good start.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:35 am

xsanguine wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Seems pretty simple.

I agree with this.

Seconded.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:36 am

I.B. Fine wrote:I'm wondering why, amidst all these wonderful ideas to further regulate guns, that would have a questionable impact on future criminal gun use, I hear little or nothing about how the EXISTING laws were overlooked/not enforced, despite multiple neon red flags concerning the kid in Florida, that, if heeded, would have totally prevented that tragedy.
Seems fixing what's already in place would be the more  immediate and productive way to start.
....and shit canning that clown of a sheriff in Broward County would seem to be a good start.

Agree with this too. Look at us all getting along! NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..  - Page 3 685334576
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:I'm wondering why, amidst all these wonderful ideas to further regulate guns, that would have a questionable impact on future criminal gun use, I hear little or nothing about how the EXISTING laws were overlooked/not enforced, despite multiple neon red flags concerning the kid in Florida, that, if heeded, would have totally prevented that tragedy.

Agree with this too. Look at us all getting along! NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..  - Page 3 685334576
Back off, Blue boy!
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:41 am

I.B. Fine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Back off, Blue boy!

Hey, fuck you guy!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:02 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Running excuse tally sponsored by the firearms manufacturers of America:

1. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.
2. The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
3. It’s not a gun problem, it’s a mental health problem.
4. If more kids were nice to each other, less school shootings would happen.

How many bad guys with guns are stopped by someone without a firearm?

Every guy with a gun thinks he’s the good guy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I would use it as an example of the long game being the priority for gun control advocates. I believe stopping gun violence is just the vehicle used by them to get what they really want.

If you look at one of Dwags' previous responses to my post... my post being something approximately along the lines of "I'm not making the argument gun violence has plummeted because the amount of guns in circulation has sky rocketed in the past 30 years... just that it doesn't matter how many guns there are." He stated "good, so let's get rid of some."
Most gun control advocates reveal their true colors after enough questions. They don't like guns and not owning any isn't good enough. They don't want anyone else to own them, either. But, while that opinion becoming trendier, it's still not quite there to being politically feasible yet.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Because that’s what speakers and plenty of attendees at the ‘march for our lives’ parade stated as their end game. Add in the articles from various prominent publications.... and you wonder why paranoid conservatives think your ilk are going to order grunts to implement and enforce mandatory gun buy backs (of course you guys won’t do any dirty work yourselves... you order others to commit violence against others on your behalf)

The conservatives are right in this instance. All these new regulations will do jack to murder rates or school shootings. So when these laws fall flat.... we’ll be here once again talking about further ‘common sense’ gun laws, which will always be relative to what is already enforced. You play chess? It’s called seeing 3 moves ahead. It won’t stop at these token laws.

Ya think. Noooooooooo. Really?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:39 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Honestly? If you remove police who very often prove not to be a good guy it’s probably not as large a disparity as you think.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Honestly? If you remove police who very often prove not to be a good guy it’s probably not as large a disparity as you think.

You think the disparity between bad guys with guns being stopped by good guys with guns and bad guys with guns being stopped by good guys without guns isn't as large as I think?

What do you think I believe the disparity is?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Rocinante wrote: If you remove police who very often prove not to be a good guy it’s probably not as large a disparity as you think.

I can't let that statement go unchallenged. There are millions of police interactions every year, we hear only about a very small number of those that are questionable.
It would be like saying air travel is unsafe because on the rare occaision there's a problem, it's huge news.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:59 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
Rocinante wrote: If you remove police who very often prove not to be a good guy it’s probably not as large a disparity as you think.

I can't let that statement go unchallenged. There are millions of police interactions every year, we hear only about a very small number of those that are questionable.
How many totally unaccountable police murders are acceptable per year for you?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

A baker's dozen.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:

Something smells fishy, like old red herring. Wink
That's not the issue I'm responding to, Roc said 'very often' police are the bad guy, which is not the case.
When, on the rare occasions they break the law, by all means throw the book at them. Don't try to paint me as defending criminals, with or without a badge.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:22 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

You think the disparity between bad guys with guns being stopped by good guys with guns and bad guys with guns being stopped by good guys without guns isn't as large as I think?

It doesn't matter, I'm sure you're way off.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:

Something smells fishy, like old red herring.  Wink
That's not the issue I'm responding to, Roc said 'very often' police are the bad guy, which is not the case.
When, on the rare occasions they break the law, by all means throw the book at them. Don't try to paint me as defending criminals, with or without a badge.

I didn't define very often.  And I said not the good guy, not "the bad guy". And not being the good guy isn't limited to shootings.

Last edited by Rocinante on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:23 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:

Something smells fishy, like old red herring.  Wink
No one throws any book at them. That’s the unaccountable part I mentioned. They say it’s okay because they were scared of the man with the cell phone (insert whichever excuse for murder they used.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I just go by the numbers, dude. What are you basing yours off of?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I just go by the numbers, dude. What are you basing yours off of?

My unyielding certainty that you are usually wrong.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:11 pm

If you got different numbers, share 'em yo.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:19 pm

xsanguine wrote:If you got different numbers, share 'em yo.

different numbers than what?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Than the numbers that show higher defensive use than criminal use.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm

I have a ton of friends with a shit ton of guns.  Respectful of them.  I'd say 90% of those guys think assault shit is so out of line.   But they won't get on line and bitch about it either way.  I don't know, they're just kind of quiet/cool.  One of my friends gives me shit cause I buy meat.  Thing is, those guys are so good with guns, and so safe about them, and so respectful of them.  I just find the guys who scream about the second amendment and bitch about h.s. kids and think they need to have assault weapons if they want them, well, to be kind of pussy.   I don't know, they seem like spastic pussies.  I know that's my problem not theirs.  I have to get over it.  

Whatever.  H.S. kids seem to be kicking the NRA's ass.  Good for them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:30 pm

xsanguine wrote:Than the numbers that show higher defensive use than criminal use.

Sorry, I didn't see those numbers.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Than the numbers that show higher defensive use than criminal use.

You should check them out.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:31 pm

DWags wrote:I have a ton of friends with a shit ton of guns.  Respectful of them.  I'd say 90% of those guys think assault shit is so out of line.   But they won't get on line and bitch about it either way.  I don't know, they're just kind of quiet/cool.  One of my friends gives me shit cause I buy meat.  Thing is, those guys are so good with guns, and so safe about them, and so respectful of them.  I just find the guys who scream about the second amendment and bitch about h.s. kids and think they need to have assault weapons if they want them, well, to be kind of pussy.   I don't know, they seem like spastic pussies.  I know that's my problem not theirs.  I have to get over it.  

Whatever.  H.S. kids seem to be kicking the NRA's ass.  Good for them.

Awesome!

Drinking this early, Dwags? Wink
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:41 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

You should probably link them or something I dunno
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:44 pm

xsanguine wrote:

Why play with lying knuckle draggers? Fuck that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm

DWags wrote:

Why play with lying knuckle draggers?  Fuck that.  
Well see the hodge podge thread from yesterday then hope x wasn’t also dumb enough to link from a proven liar  NRA Has Themselves Another School Shooting..  - Page 3 1f62c 

Honestly I don’t think all of you appreciate just how important it is to get those links then point out “yeah your opinions are based on legit bullshit”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:17 pm

xsanguine wrote:

Why would I share them with you? It's between Roc and I.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 pm

xsanguine wrote:

Feel free to respond to his post then instead
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:19 pm

xsanguine wrote:

Feel free to respond to his post then instead

Why you so nosy?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Alright, Travis. I'll share them with you. I didn't mean to be rude I'm just very particular of who I give this sort of thing out to.

Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm Related Violence: Defensive Uses of Guns

National Academies of Science Engineering Medicine wrote:Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010). On the other hand, some scholars point to a radically lower estimate of only 108,000 annual defensive uses based on the National Crime Victimization Survey (Cook et al., 1997). The variation in these numbers remains a controversy in the field. The estimate of 3 million defensive uses per year is based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys. The former estimate of 108,000 is difficult to interpret because respondents were not asked specifically about defensive gun use.

A different issue is whether defensive uses of guns, however numerous or rare they may be, are effective in preventing injury to the gun-wielding crime victim. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was “used” by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies (Kleck, 1988; Kleck and DeLone, 1993; Southwick, 2000; Tark and Kleck, 2004). Effectiveness of defensive tactics, however, is likely to vary across types of victims, types of offenders, and circumstances of the crime, so further research is needed both to explore these contingencies and to confirm or discount earlier findings.

Even when defensive use of guns is effective in averting death or injury for the gun user in cases of crime, it is still possible that keeping a gun in the home or carrying a gun in public—concealed or open carry—may have a different net effect on the rate of injury. For example, if gun ownership raises the risk of suicide, homicide, or the use of weapons by those who invade the homes of gun owners, this could cancel or outweigh the beneficial effects of defensive gun use (Kellermann et al., 1992, 1993, 1995). Although some early studies were published that relate to this issue, they were not conclusive, and this is a sufficiently important question that it merits additional, careful exploration.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Counter point- 

Doesn’t anyone else look at the fuckin sources or is that just me? Gary Kleck? That’s what you brought here? For fucks sake. Didn’t we all go to MSU or no? You know there’s a reason all those professors made you provided sources for your shit.

Anyway here’s a link about how that three million number is extremely ludicrous. Enjoy your reading, don’t care about your reply. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/01/defensive-gun-ownership-myth-114262
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next