Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Goose may be vacationing thread

+20
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Nordic
DWags
NigelUno
kingstonlake
Cameron
aualum06
Jake from State Farm
InTenSity
I.B. Fine
pulling69
Dendrobates
y2kMgrad
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Goose may be vacationing thread Empty The Goose may be vacationing thread

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:36

My bragging of my light carbon footprint has taken a dent.  I officially stepped further into oldfartiitis today.

After an extensive month+ search I bought a motor home today.   Planning to leave for a short jaunt to
the UP tomorrow.   Straits State park, the shipwreck museum, Tahquamenon and home.  

The first step in my long term "show the Grandkids the country" plan, if I remain healthy I plan to take
a trip or two every summer with them.

Bought on the bargain end of the scale from an old German couple that used this to drive to and from
their winter home in FL each year.   Had all the service records from MI and FL from having it checked
before they departed each time.   It's older but pretty clean and he had over a foot deep stack of records
on it.

Really, really nice people and they gave us a bargain after my daughter and grandkids charmed them.  

I'll post some UP pictures in the next few days unless things go all pear shaped.   Should have 'net
wherever Verizon has service.  

A couple pictures of the RV - and before you think i won the lottery keep in mind this thing is 25 years old.

The Goose may be vacationing thread W211

The Goose may be vacationing thread W510

The Goose may be vacationing thread W1111
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Goose may be vacationing thread Empty Re: The Goose may be vacationing thread

Post by aualum06 2018-05-09, 21:38

Staying at straights June 14-17
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Goose may be vacationing thread Empty Re: The Goose may be vacationing thread

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-09, 21:39

Very awesome, Goose, have fun!
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:Very awesome, Goose, have fun!

I'm more excited about this than i should be at my age. The grandkids were like jumping beans tonight checking it out.
I'm hoping it's as fun as I envision.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:44

aualum06 wrote:Staying at straights June 14-17

Never stayed there, I always just dry camped in the woods but at least on this trip I'm doing State Parks. Have you been there before?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-09, 21:44

Class A - niiiicce. Does it have slideouts?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Class A - niiiicce. Does it have slideouts?

No, in my budget range I avoided them.   I figured any that were that old might be prone to failure.

I was fishing in the sub $10K seas and most people over value their rigs, especially when 1st listed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:52

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Class A - niiiicce. Does it have slideouts?

Maybe the best deal out there right now is close to you, Floyd and Pantry but I got kind of sketchy vibes from
the guy or maybe he was just too busy.   But I got fond of the nice German couple so went with theirs.  I think
he said it was in a storage somewhere near Mound and 59.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/rvs/6581483008.html

I liked the 2 couches layout better on that one....but just couldn't warm up to the owner.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2018-05-09, 21:53; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-05-09, 21:52

Cool rig. Have fun!
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-09, 21:54

That looks sweet! Snow is finally gone. Munising bay still has some floating ice. But it's broken up now. If you got time maybe make a run to munising and see pictured rocks.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:54

The Pantry wrote:Cool rig. Have fun!

I'm buying some pasties up there and going to Cut River for smoked fish - if you want some of either let me know and I'll send them down.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 21:56

kingstonlake wrote:That looks sweet! Snow is finally gone. Munising bay still has some floating ice. But it's broken up now. If you got time maybe make a run to munising and see pictured rocks.

Probably not on this trip since we're limited on time (son in law is going with me and he has to be at work Monday). But we're planning a summer trip to Copper Country so will probably try to work it into that trip.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-09, 22:03

I know a guy who can paint that up green and white and put portraits of Dantonio Duffy and Sparty on the side

Guys Goose just purchased tOffical Swill Tailgate machine. Ithis is the greatest thing ever. Ima pm Goose tonight with first and second game plans. WBH, get a menu together. I’m making hats for everyone!

ITS ON MOTHER EFFERS!

Hookers, blow, weed, food.

All seriousness, cool purchase.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2018-05-09, 22:07

I've always been intrigued about these things. My kids would love this. Are they expensive to maintain? How many miles do they usually get? Can you pretty much park them anywhere for the night or do you have to stay at a campground?

Last edited by y2kMgrad on 2018-05-09, 22:07; edited 1 time in total
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-09, 22:07

Does it have a trailer hitch?

Goose if you want to volunteer to pick up Wags and I and drive to some rando B1G college town for a football game I will definitely drink beer in the back the entire time and cook when we get there.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-09, 22:08

y2kMgrad wrote:I've always been intrigued about these things. My kids would love this. Are they expensive to maintain? How many miles do they usually go? Can you pretty much park them anywhere for the night or do you have to stay at a campground?

y2k - rent. I have done this for a couple of football trips but I also have friends with kids who have done this for family trips in Alaska. Fly in, line up a rental, don't worry about shit. General RV has very nice Class A and C rentals.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does it have a trailer hitch?

Goose if you want to volunteer to pick up Wags and I and drive to some rando B1G college town for a football game I will definitely drink beer in the back the entire time and cook when we get there.

Yep. Planned for hooking the trailer up carrying the ATVs, kayak and row boat on most trips. Not on trip 1 though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-09, 22:12

You should pick up Bob and report back here about the shenanigans you guys get up to.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:13

DWags wrote:I know a guy who can paint that up green and white and put portraits of Dantonio Duffy and Sparty on the side

Guys Goose just purchased tOffical Swill Tailgate machine. Ithis is the greatest thing ever. Ima pm Goose tonight with first and second game plans. WBH, get a menu together. I’m making hats for everyone!

ITS ON MOTHER EFFERS!

Hookers, blow, weed, food.

All seriousness, cool purchase.

lol, I thought about mentioning a Swill tailgate but didn't want to obligate WBH. We'll see how this goes. If it sucks I may sell it and resort to motels. But I grew up traveling in RVs and always liked it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-09, 22:17

RV lot is a different beast for MSU tailgates. I think they moved it out by the commuter lot now. It's not something you can just show up and "do", I don't think. But yeah with a week notice or so, I'd cook if I'm available. Lot U hookup is toast.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-09, 22:18

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Does it have a trailer hitch?

Yep.   Planned for hooking the trailer up carrying the ATVs, kayak and row boat on most trips.   Not on trip 1 though.

11/17/18.  I've always wanted to go to Nebraska.  Day after my birthday.   We could leave on a Wednesday night.  See the country.  Get there on Friday.  Check out the campus, What say you WBH.  We'd be back before Thanksgiving. Hell, I bet we coild bring us back some corn fed turkeys from that state that are fat and healthy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:19

y2kMgrad wrote:I've always been intrigued about these things. My kids would love this. Are they expensive to maintain? How many miles do they usually get? Can you pretty much park them anywhere for the night or do you have to stay at a campground?

With this rig you can do either it's got a 7K generator so you've got power anywhere.

My kids grew up tent camping with me. I'd back the Suburban off a fire trail by a lake up here, pitch a tent for them and the dog and I would sleep in the back of the 'burb. That's a little too rough for most and for me now.

A lot of people sleep in Walmart parking lots when traveling, they encourage it. I'm expecting about 6mpg, so not the greatest but compared to 2-3 hotel rooms a night and meals it's a bargain.

The key on buying a used one is to wait for one that looks like the people that owned it babied it. If the overall unit looks like shit you can bet they skimped on maintenance. Most of the gas models are on a 454 Chevy or 460 Ford chassis, so that's the powertrain you're maintaining. The diesel models are a whole different ballpark on cost to buy and maintain.

WBH is dead on to try renting 1st and see if you like it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-05-09, 22:20

Has anyone seen “About Schmidt”?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-05-09, 22:21

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yep.   Planned for hooking the trailer up carrying the ATVs, kayak and row boat on most trips.   Not on trip 1 though.

11/17/18.  I've always wanted to go to Nebraska.  Day after my birthday.   We could leave on a Wednesday night.  See the country.  Get there on Friday.  Check out the campus, What say you WBH.  We'd be back before Thanksgiving. Hell, I bet we coild bring us back some corn fed turkeys from that state that are fat and healthy.

I've done this road trip before (in a RV in fact!) and it's a beating. It's very, very long. But as long as I don't have to drive I don't care, I would do it. Even with you fucks that I don't know at all.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:21

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You should pick up Bob and report back here about the shenanigans you guys get up to.

lol, I might get Bob up north after all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:22

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Damn.,.....I'd miss opening day.

Let's see how the 1st trip or two flies this summer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-09, 22:24

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

The Goose may be vacationing thread 502811600

Enjoy those grand kids. They're gonna freak out with excitement.  That's better than Disney to some kids.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:25

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
DWags wrote:

I've done this road trip before (in a RV in fact!) and it's a beating. It's very, very long. But as long as I don't have to drive I don't care, I would do it. Even with you fucks that I don't know at all.

I've done that I80 run too many times. This will be weird in that I quit hauling bikes with my sons back in '12 and swore I'd never drive long distances again.....but shit changes and I won't do the crazy stuff we did then. Longest trip was in '09 - we drove over 7700 miles in 11 days. MI - CA - NC - MA - MI. Made good $$ but it killed you to sit in a truck for that many hours and days.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:26

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Enjoy those grand kids. They're gonna freak out with excitement.  That's better than Disney to some kids.

As much of a crank as I am on here at times they're really what I've got to live for now - to make memories for them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-09, 22:29

So, I had three cars get their Catalytic converters cut two weeks ago. they're worth about 50-100 bucks in precious medals at a junk yard. As the cop is taking the report, we're small talking it.  Goose, you know the RV place on 94 and about 16 mile. It sells them and in the winter, people store theirs there.  Anyway, he says to me, "if you think you're hurting, the RV fence was jumped and about 15 were cut out.  I guess they get about 400-500 for those.  

Fucking junkyards should be stung with an undercover op.  I don't know why they don't do it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-09, 22:30

DWags wrote:So, I had three cars get their Catalytic converters cut two weeks ago. they're worth about 50-100 bucks in precious medals at a junk yard. As the cop is taking the report, we're small talking it.  Goose, you know the RV place on 94 and about 16 mile. It sells them and in the winter, people store theirs there.  Anyway, he says to me, "if you think you're hurting, the RV fence was jumped and about 15 were cut out.  I guess they get about 400-500 for those.  

Fucking junkyards should be stung with an undercover op.  I don't know why they don't do it.

There was a guy up here advertising for converters on Craigs the other day.   I thought he wanted them off junkers, never thought about someone stealing them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-10, 07:37

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You should pick up Bob and report back here about the shenanigans you guys get up to.

lol, I might get Bob up north after all.

have fun, dude.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-05-10, 07:41

The Goose may be vacationing thread 502811600 tSwill email tells me this is a trending topic.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-05-10, 08:12

That things a beaut. You are going to be living the dream out on the open road seeing this great country.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-10, 08:13

Always wondered if it was a buyer's market on RV's and lengthy trailers. I use to pass about 5 for sale over 26ft. Every summer on my 10 Mile drive to Meijer all summer.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-10, 08:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:The Goose may be vacationing thread 502811600 tSwill email tells me this is a trending topic.

Same here. Lol. Got my email!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-05-10, 08:22

Sounds like fun Goose!

Are those things hard to drive? They’re so big, it seems like it would be hard to steer and see blind spots.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-05-10, 09:25

Awesome rig Goose. Have fun Chevy Chasing around America. Going on trips with my kids is a priority right now. Not much longer before they are out of the house.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-10, 10:05

Dendrobates wrote:Sounds like fun Goose!

Are those things hard to drive? They’re so big, it seems like it would be hard to steer and see blind spots.

I haven't driven one in 20+ years but I used to drive semis in my summers off from MSU so I'm not too skeered....my daughter on the other hand.....I told her she had to take us over the bridge and she's not too hip to the idea.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-10, 10:09

Nordic wrote:Awesome rig Goose. Have fun Chevy Chasing around America. Going on trips with my kids is a priority right now. Not much longer before they are out of the house.

I sent this to my daughter after seeing it on the 'net......told her it was so true and to treasure the time even as she seems harried.....

The Goose may be vacationing thread Life_i10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next