Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tSwill Official World Cup Thread

+19
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
Tim Wakefield
CORNER BLITZ
Nordic
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
MattyFresh
NigelUno
InTenSity
By-Tor
Senior Dickfist
Cym Jim
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
DWags
Floyd Robertson
23 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 14:26

I wish lukakua was still at Everton :-(
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 14:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:What about chocolate? And the Smurfs?

SMURFS lol!!!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 14:28

aualum06 wrote:I wish lukakua was still at Everton :-(
I don't. ;-)
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 14:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:
aualum06 wrote:I wish lukakua was still at Everton :-(
I don't. ;-)

That year of Rooney homecoming, so great
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 14:31

I'm intrigued by this spray they put on the injuries.

Also, I predict Brazil ties this one up before the half.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 14:34

steveschneider wrote:I'm intrigued by this spray they put on the injuries.

That's going to be tough as Belgium goes up 2-0
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 14:34

steveschneider wrote:I'm intrigued by this spray they put on the injuries.

Nope
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 14:40

aualum06 wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
I don't. ;-)

That year of Rooney homecoming, so great
As a United fan, I was so happy to see Rooney in another jersey. Great in his time, but downhill for a few years.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 14:41

Neymar's little bitch factor is going to go through the roof in this game.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-07-06, 14:51

Brazil getting wrecked.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:11

Nice flop neymar lol, red card his a**
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:14

This should be a penalty for Brazil
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:15

Lol Brazil just got screwed
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:33

I would have trouble giving a penalty on that one because there was no way in hell that Jesus would have gotten to the ball.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:34

2-1
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 15:35

Go Brazil!!!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:38

Belgium looks gassed
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:39

Belgium is rattled.

Hazard can't pass worth shit today or Belgium could have 3 or 4.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 15:42

Missed by a mile! I thought that was 2-2
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:45

Risky taking Lukaku off.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 15:47

Explain stoppage time. Wtf.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:49

DWags wrote:Explain stoppage time. Wtf.

That's not possible. It would be much simpler to just stop the clock when the ball wasn't in play but that would ruin the game or something
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 15:52

holy shit!!! man I thought Brazil had that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 15:52

aualum06 wrote:
DWags wrote:Explain stoppage time. Wtf.

That's not possible. It would be much simpler to just stop the clock when the ball wasn't in play but that would ruin the game or something

Yeah, it’s like soccer doesn’t have an on off switch
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 15:53

steveschneider wrote:holy shit!!! man I thought Brazil had that.

Three glorious chances in the last ten minutes and missed them all
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:53

Suck it, Brazil!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 15:57

MiamiSpartan wrote:Suck it, Brazil!

That goalie for Belgium was a hero. What a save that was.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 15:57

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Yeah, soccer should take a lesson in clock logic from football and basketball, where the clock stops in some cases, but not other cases, and at some points in the game, but not other points of the game in the same situation.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 16:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yeah, soccer should take a lesson in clock logic from football and basketball, where the clock stops in some cases, but not other cases, and at some points in the game, but not other points of the game in the same situation.

Look, I just kind of want a general idea. If it’s close that’s cool, but give us an idea. I don’t care if they’re off here or there but it can’t be that hard to stop the game clock when play is stopped. And football and basketball are pretty accurate.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 16:37

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Look, I just kind of want a general idea. If it’s close that’s cool, but give us an idea. I don’t care if they’re off here or there but it can’t be that hard to stop the game clock when play is stopped. And football and basketball are pretty accurate.
They do give you a general idea. The 4th official (the one on the sideline) holds up how much extra time. In the Belgium/Brazil game it was 5 minutes. He blew the whistle pretty close to the 95:00 mark. They don't usually blow the whistle if a team is on the attack, however. I know people not used to soccer take issue with that, but it helps the excitement and drama.

I wasn't saying that football and basketball times aren't accurate, but there are weird clock rules that apply sometimes, but not other times. I love football and basketball, but if you only watch a couple of the biggest games every year, and almost never outside of those games, how screwy would some of these rules seem?

Basketball - Clock stops after a basket in the last minute...wait, or is it the last 2 minutes? I guess that depends whether the game you're watching has 2 halves or 4 quarters. Either way, it stops in the last one or two minutes after a basket, but not after baskets at other points in the game.

Football - Clock stops after some plays (runs, pass completions), but not after other plays (incompletions). As fans, we know why and know this makes sense, but again, if you aren't a fan, it seems inconsistent. Oh yeah, and it stops after runs and pass completions that end up out of bounds. Well, sometimes it doesn't stop when a play goes out of bounds. Depends how much time is left in the game. And at some levels it stops after a first down, but at other levels it keeps going after first downs.

Baseball - Nuff said.

Just saying that what seems logical to regular watchers of one sport, can easily seem crazy to non-watchers.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-06, 16:48

I'd be okay with stoppage time if they actually added enough time. I saw somewhere that most matches are only about 55 minutes of play
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 16:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

They do give you a general idea. The 4th official (the one on the sideline) holds up how much extra time. In the Belgium/Brazil game it was 5 minutes. He blew the whistle pretty close to the 95:00 mark. They don't usually blow the whistle if a team is on the attack, however. I know people not used to soccer take issue with that, but it helps the excitement and drama.

I wasn't saying that football and basketball times aren't accurate, but there are weird clock rules that apply sometimes, but not other times. I love football and basketball, but if you only watch a couple of the biggest games every year, and almost never outside of those games, how screwy would some of these rules seem?

Basketball - Clock stops after a basket in the last minute...wait, or is it the last 2 minutes? I guess that depends whether the game you're watching has 2 halves or 4 quarters. Either way, it stops in the last one or two minutes after a basket, but not after baskets at other points in the game.

Football - Clock stops after some plays (runs, pass completions), but not after other plays (incompletions). As fans, we know why and know this makes sense, but again, if you aren't a fan, it seems inconsistent. Oh yeah, and it stops after runs and pass completions that end up out of bounds. Well, sometimes it doesn't stop when a play goes out of bounds. Depends how much time is left in the game. And at some levels it stops after a first down, but at other levels it keeps going after first downs.

Baseball - Nuff said.

Just saying that what seems logical to regular watchers of one sport, can easily seem crazy to non-watchers.

I just have questions. in the stoppage time, can there be more stoppage time during that? Or can you stall if you want? I’m not a huge watcher and am confused by that. What causes stoppage time during the match? Can that same action cause stoppage during the overtime?

I do get how it adds some drama. I was intrigued by it today.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 16:54

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Baseball - Nuff said.

I just have questions. in the stoppage time, can there be more stoppage time during that? Or can you stall if you want? I’m not a huge watcher and am confused by that. What causes stoppage time during the match? Can that same action cause stoppage during the overtime?

I do get how it adds some drama. I was intrigued by it today.
Yes, more time can be added. Usually for a substitution or a goal, but sometimes you'll see it if there's an injury stoppage, or a team purposely time wasting (i.e., not taking a goal kick in a reasonable amount of time...worth noting that players often get yellow carded for time wasting).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 17:00

aualum06 wrote:I'd be okay with stoppage time if they actually added enough time. I saw somewhere that most matches are only about 55 minutes of play
How much time is actually played in a football game? About 15 minutes, give or take?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 17:09

FWIW, I've been known to argue the opposite side of the coin on soccer message boards, where I defend the quirks of American sports.  One of the dumbest comments, and one of the most repeated comments on those boards is complaining about how the US is over-commercializing soccer in Europe and elsewhere.  These are from fans of teams that have sponsors emblazoned across the jerseys, 10+ times the size of the club logo (this is for league play, not national teams).  It looks like you're watching Samsung vs Emirates Airways battle it out.  And the advertisements on the boards surrounding every field long pre-dates hockey putting ads on the boards in the NHL, which was long before baseball, basketball, or football started doing any of that at all.  But yeah, the US is to blame for the commercialization.

So it's just perspective.  What you're used to seems like the normal way.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 17:15

I also think because I’m a lazy American the should have a small stoppage clock in the corner that counts up when the guy is adding stoppage time. For you guys who watch regularly do you pretty much know? Or is it just a general feeling of how much? Also can stoppage time be 6:34? Or does it always go on the minute?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-06, 17:19

When Brazil ran their goalie down there on offense, he couldn’t run to the sideline for an offensive player in that situation? Or does it have to be a sub when play is stopped. My kids ran their goalie down now and then, but she was the best athlete on the team so I just figured that’s why the coach did it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 17:56

DWags wrote:I also think because I’m a lazy American the should have a small stoppage clock in the corner that counts up when the guy is adding stoppage time. For you guys who watch regularly do you pretty much know? Or is it just a general feeling of how much? Also can stoppage time be 6:34? Or does it always go on the minute?

I actually think that’s a good suggestion. I will say Though after a few matches you get a feel for how many minutes will be added.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-07-06, 17:59

My British friend that’s a soccer nut has adapted well to US sports. I’ve even got him pulling for MSU when they play UofM. If he can wrap his head around American sports we can get this.

Also, Miami I’m announcing my loyalty to Arsenal. I will log in when they play Man U and talk shit. Good times ahead!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-07-06, 18:15

The announced stoppage time is an even number of minutes. But that also means "at least". If a ref has calculated 6:34, they'll put up 6 minutes, and he can blow the whistle at 6:34 if he wants. But they try to stick to the minute mark. Usually, if there weren't any real reasons to add time, they blow it pretty close to the minute mark, unless a team is on the attack. I think most fans usually have a feel for whether or not there is additional time added beyond what was said. Usually about 30 seconds should be added for a substitution or a goal, unless there's a extra wild celebration.

As for the goalie, no they can't take them off and run someone else on. You're only allowed 3 subs at the professional level, and once you get subbed off, you are done for the day (like baseball, in that regard). It doesn't happen often, but now and then goalies have been known to score like that, and their height and being an extra man, also will impact the play allowing others to score. And now and then, the other team scores an empty netter as South Korea did against Germany in the group stages.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next