Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career?

+13
tTito
Other Teams Pursuing That
Wally Fairway
MiamiSpartan
Clarett's Folly
NigelUno
DWags
steveschneider
Nordic
tGreenWay
Watch Out Pylon!
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? Empty Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career?

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 10:18

Hyperbole, I know. But this game is huge for the Coach. Really, really needs to get out of the first weekend.

Discuss but please don't be mean to me.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? Empty Re: Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-03-22, 10:19

No. But yeah you can tell he really REALLY wants to get out of the weekend. It's going to be a much tougher game than I think most people would predict but I think he will get them through.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? Empty Re: Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-03-22, 10:19

Every next game is the most important. So yes.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-22, 10:21

duffy munn wrote:Hyperbole, I know. But this game is huge for the Coach. Really, really needs to get out of the first weekend.

Discuss but please don't be mean to me.

Welp, I’m out.

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-03-22, 10:31

Most important, no. But it is definitely important after the last 3 early exits. We've had some pretty good teams that have had early punchouts. Sweet 16 erases that bad taste. Final 4 buries it forever.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 10:34

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Every next game is the most important. So yes.

You gotta admit this one is pretty big, Pylon. The narrative if we lose will be unbearable. And a lot of it will come from our own "fans".
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-03-22, 10:35

duffy munn wrote:

You gotta admit this one is pretty big, Pylon. The narrative if we lose will be unbearable. And a lot of it will come from our own "fans".

Might come from me too. Four years in a row of bowing out too early is kind of a trend.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-22, 10:47

Most important I don't know but I think his coaching yesterday was related to how badly he wants to advance. Over all this decade his tournament success has regressed and after the last couple of flame outs I think he wants to get out of this weekend is important to him.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-22, 10:48

duffy munn wrote:

IB4 OTPT.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 10:49

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Might come from me too. Four years in a row of bowing out too early is kind of a trend.

Exactly.

And that's not a shot at you.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 10:50

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

IB4 OTPT.

Something tells me he will disagree just to disagree.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-03-22, 10:53

duffy munn wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Exactly.

And that's not a shot at you.

As Pylon put it at that point it will be a trend and we were spoiled from 2000 - 2010 with unbelievable teams. Expectations are high.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-22, 10:53

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

IB4 OTPT.

Something tells me he will disagree just to disagree.

Nah, not on this topic. I think he’ll get a chuckle out of it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-03-22, 10:54

The game is big to me. How can I face my neighbors if we don't get to a sweet 16?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-03-22, 10:58

Posted an interview elsewhere in which Izzo talks about the last 3 years.

He said something like we played well against MTSU, people don't really understand what happened there (they had a stretch 4 that we couldn't match up with once Goins got hurt).

He said 2 years ago....we really shouldn't have even made the tournament with that team and the injuries, etc.

And then he said....(paraphrasing)....'and last year....' and then he stopped himself and said "I'm not going to talk about last year"

I thought that was interesting.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-03-22, 11:05

I do not think it is.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 11:23

DWags wrote:The game is big to me. How can I face my neighbors if we don't get to a sweet 16?

Build an underground bunker Dwags. Mine is already built and I plan on moving in until next March if we lose.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-03-22, 11:36

duffy munn wrote:

The narrative surrounding a coach with one national title and so many final fours that I've lost count will not hinge on the results of this weekend.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-03-22, 11:42

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Posted an interview elsewhere in which Izzo talks about the last 3 years.

He said something like we played well against MTSU, people don't really understand what happened there (they had a stretch 4 that we couldn't match up with once Goins got hurt).

He said 2 years ago....we really shouldn't have even made the tournament with that team and the injuries, etc.

And then he said....(paraphrasing)....'and last year....' and then he stopped himself and said "I'm not going to talk about last year"

I thought that was interesting.
Yeah, it's a little unfair to that season that it's surrounded by a first round loss to a 15 seed and a second round loss to an 11 seed, because it's easy for the lazy media (and some lazy fans) to talk about how we've failed in 3 straight tournaments. Of course the season as a whole was a down one, but we did a lot better than anyone expected in the tournament the way that we absolutely skull fucked the shit out of Miami, a team that I feel like most people had beating us.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 11:47

Clarett's Folly wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

The narrative surrounding a coach with one national title and so many final fours that I've lost count will not hinge on the results of this weekend.

It shouldn't but I bet it will. At least for the short term or until he gets out of the first weekend.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2019-03-22, 15:58

This had better not turn into the game thread Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 294152859 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 2130724145 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 3836498553
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-03-22, 16:21

Wally Fairway wrote:This had better not turn into the game thread Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 294152859 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 2130724145 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 3836498553

Hell no. Won’t happen.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-22, 16:53

Wally Fairway wrote:This had better not turn into the game thread Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 294152859 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 2130724145 Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? 3836498553

This
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-23, 23:16

Monkey off the back
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 08:11

Terrible opinion. A round of 32 game against Minnesota? Izzo would be insulted.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-24, 08:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Terrible opinion. A round of 32 game against Minnesota? Izzo would be insulted.
I admitted to hyperole in the OP.

I disagree with your opinion OTPT. I think he knew how important it was to get out of this weekend. You know damn well what the narrative would have been if he didn't.

I bet you woulda been among the first to rip him.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 08:43

This thread is like the swill’s version of first take or undisputed.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-24, 08:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:This thread is like the swill’s version of first take or undisputed.

Any opinion that doesn't match yours is wrong.

Answer me this OPTP: IF we had lost last night what would your hot take have been?

( not that you really need to answer because I think we all know)
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-03-24, 08:57

Duffy, you care more about what talking heads and fans say than what actually happens on the court/field. I don't get it, but to each their own.

And if you make a statement that you know is hyperbole, aren't you just trolling for attention and a reaction?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 10:10

Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? Screen-Shot-2018-10-24-at-12.19.50-PM-718x490
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-03-24, 10:13

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:This thread is like the swill’s version of first take or undisputed.

What are those?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 10:16

DWags wrote:

What are those?

https://www.google.com

If you’re feeling lazy, it’s like the 97.1 sports talk radio show you heard Caputo on but on tv. (Or on a message board, this thread)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-24, 10:41

MiamiSpartan wrote:Duffy, you care more about what talking heads and fans say than what actually happens on the court/field. I don't get it, but to each their own.

And if you make a statement that you know is hyperbole, aren't you just trolling for attention and a reaction?
MiamiSpartan wrote:Duffy, you care more about what talking heads and fans say than what actually happens on the court/field. I don't get it, but to each their own.

I wasn't trolling or looking for a reaction Miami. Like most message board posters I was looking for a discussion. It's my opinion that this weekend was very important. And not just for fans and talking heads but rather for the coach and his team.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-03-24, 10:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Is the game tomorrow the most important of Izzo's career? Screen-Shot-2018-10-24-at-12.19.50-PM-718x490

Now THIS is trolling and looking for a reaction. LOL
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2019-03-24, 12:07

Please stop bumping this thread, thanks.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-03-24, 12:11

Izzo is under the microscope and every freakin' game is the most important of his career because ESPN has made MSU click bait and his forefinger in a player's face makes him a monster and disrespectful to young men, especially young black men.

Body of work. In his 24th season his team shared a Big Ten regular season title, won the Big Ten Tournament (not that seems to matter to NCAA tournament committee) and is going to his 8th Sweet 16.

After this season with the injuries to Langford, Aherns and Ward plus all the background noise about MSU's basketball program that began over a year ago, Izzo has put in a great coaching performance.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 12:19

Maybe we can hang a banner. I can see it now.

“Beat Minnesota in the round of 32
2019”
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-03-24, 12:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Maybe we can hang a banner. I can see it now.

2019”

Why would we hang a banner for that?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-03-24, 12:29

GRR Spartan wrote:Izzo is under the microscope and every freakin' game is the most important of his career because ESPN has made MSU click bait and his forefinger in a player's face makes him a monster and disrespectful to young men, especially young black men.

Body of work. In his 24th season his team shared a Big Ten regular season title, won the Big Ten Tournament (not that seems to matter to NCAA tournament committee) and is going to his 8th Sweet 16.

After this season with the injuries to Langford, Aherns and Ward plus all the background noise about MSU's basketball program that began over a year ago, Izzo has put in a great coaching performance.

8 sweet sixteens are you high or something? 98,99,00,01,03,05,08,09,10,12,13,14,15,19.

14>8
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-03-24, 12:31

kingstonlake wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Maybe we can hang a banner. I can see it now.

2019”

Why would we hang a banner for that?

You’d think we would start to recognize our coach’s biggest wins of his career. The disrespect is mind boggling.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next