Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..

+15
Heat Miser
Jake from State Farm
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
Nordic
duffy munn
kingstonlake
steveschneider
The Pantry
Rocinante
SawGreen
Senior Dickfist
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..  - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..

Post by Nordic 2019-05-03, 11:26

AvgMSUJoe wrote:meh... knees are better, probably injury... will ease into running again when it warms up.

Now... different old guy topic (having nothing to do with Bobby Sak)....

Started Atkins-like diet (no sugar, carbs except beans...) with my 18 year old kid because he put on the "freshman 15" that was more like 40... To push him into healthier eating and me needing to drop 20, I figured what the hell. So, many weeks into this shit, the dude dropped 30+ lbs. Me... 7.

Da Fuq that all about? sheesh.

I'm going to switch to the weight watchers see what happens with that. (Shockingly, I'm suspecting I like my beers to much.)

Metabolism. Your 18 year old kid has higher metabolism obv.

I run 1-2 times a week just to say I can still run. But I echo the comments above. My body is not made for running. Try some low stress weight lifting, yoga, etc. Adding strength training/muscle building should spark your metabolism. You don't need to go all crazy on the bench press (which if not done right is worse than running). Fuck you don't even need weights. Air squats, push ups, assisted pull ups, deadlift some shit, farmer Walk some other shit, chop some wood. There are a shitton of videos on YouTube to help with form so you don't hurt yourself. Weight training... especially for those that haven't lifted anything in a long time... will probably transform your body (and mind) and boost your metabolism more than cardio.

Want a easy home gym? Buy some Kettlebells.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..  - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..

Post by Nordic 2019-05-03, 11:45

...also 7lbs is nothing to sniff at. I don't know how many weeks in you are but a slow steady 1-2lbs per week is what you want. Dropping to fast too quick can fuck up your metabolism, especially if you are calorie restricting. I'm not a fan of calories restricting beyond your average daily need. Don't drop calories, increase your activity if you want to lose weight.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-03, 11:54

Nordic wrote:...also 7lbs is nothing to sniff at. I don't know how many weeks in you are but a slow steady 1-2lbs per week is what you want. Dropping to fast too quick can fuck up your metabolism, especially if you are calorie restricting. I'm not a fan of calories restricting beyond your average daily need. Don't drop calories, increase your activity if you want to lose weight.

The only thing I'll add to that is eat better calories.

-58lbs in 15 months, sometimes they'd come 5-10 at a time and the progress would stall while the body readjusted but mostly it was slow and steady and staying off the couch. Don't get discouraged, don't give up.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-03, 13:33

My knees are so fucked. I think I'm gonna be one of those people who needs knee replacement surgery at 45. The crazy thing is my non reconstructed knee that I never officially tore up hurts worse than the repaired one.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-03, 14:13

That is awesome on the weight loss though Floyd. Look at you. Non smoker, non drinker, skinny guy swiping right with enthusiasm.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-03, 14:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That is awesome on the weight loss though Floyd. Look at you. Non smoker, non drinker, skinny guy swiping right with enthusiasm.

I have definitely missed out on the whole microbrew explosion since I quit.

I hope I don't come off as beating my chest. Hopefully more of an inspiration to anyone with goals.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-05-03, 14:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:That is awesome on the weight loss though Floyd. Look at you. Non smoker, non drinker, skinny guy swiping right with enthusiasm.

tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..  - Page 2 502811600
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-05-03, 14:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:

I hope I don't come off as beating my chest. Hopefully more of an inspiration to anyone with goals.

Not all. Good work. It is hard work. Especially the booze/beer. Brag it up.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-03, 18:01

Remarkable job, Floyd. You get today’s tSwill attaboy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-04, 14:00

Just don’t shake Greenways hand.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-04, 14:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My knees are so fucked. I think I'm gonna be one of those people who needs knee replacement surgery at 45. The crazy thing is my non reconstructed knee that I never officially tore up hurts worse than the repaired one.

I was just thinking about this possibility yesterday. My left knee in particular. It hasn’t been the same since my last surgery. I’ve now reached the “time for a cortisone shot” level with that one.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-04, 14:03

Rocinante wrote:Just don’t shake Greenways hand.

It ain’t my hand I’ll be offering.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-04, 14:04

Why don’t you guys ride bikes. It’s just as good for you as running and it’s not hard on your knees.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-04, 14:20

I don't run. I did a marathon in Chicago 17 years ago and since then I choose not to run. I ride my stationary bike like I'm Greg Lemond but my knees are still all kinds of fucked up. I can hardly do squats or leg presses anymore. I gained too many lbs this winter. Going to see how they feel when I drop some weight and then decide if I want an MRI or not.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-04, 15:14

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:...also 7lbs is nothing to sniff at. I don't know how many weeks in you are but a slow steady 1-2lbs per week is what you want. Dropping to fast too quick can fuck up your metabolism, especially if you are calorie restricting. I'm not a fan of calories restricting beyond your average daily need. Don't drop calories, increase your activity if you want to lose weight.

The only thing I'll add to that is eat better calories.

-58lbs in 15 months, sometimes they'd come 5-10 at a time and the progress would stall while the body readjusted but mostly it was slow and steady and staying off the couch. Don't get discouraged, don't give up.

Amazing work, Floyd.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-04, 15:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't run. I did a marathon in Chicago 17 years ago and since then I choose not to run. I ride my stationary bike like I'm Greg Lemond but my knees are still all kinds of fucked up. I can hardly do squats or leg presses anymore. I gained too many lbs this winter. Going to see how they feel when I drop some weight and then decide if I want an MRI or not.

I've done three of them and one of my knees is starting to feel fucked. I love running too much to ever give it up but agree it's tough on the joints. I started jump roping the other year as an alt exercise. It's lower impact on the knees and after a few weeks I got really good at it. A good exercise to put out there for consideration. There's a great rope on Amazon that's like $11.00 that I use and am very pleased with it.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-04, 15:21

My most recent visit to the dentist kind of sparked a health kick in me. Just being in the office made me realize I want to avoid chronic health issues and unpleasant procedures. Been vigilant about my oral hygiene ever since and it's spilled over to other aspects of my life.

Been drinking veggies smoothies for breakfast and I feel great after having them. Spinach, banana, a little mango, almond milk, ginger, hemp protein, sometimes a beat. I think diet is crucial to staying and feeling younger. Who knows if it will pay off but I'm giving it a shot for now. Been eating more beans too. I read about blue zones and I guess the common theme in areas where people live longer is they eat tons of beans. In 55 years I'll find out if this healthier eating pays off or not.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-04, 16:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:

not at all, man - great job!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-05-04, 16:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't run. I did a marathon in Chicago 17 years ago and since then I choose not to run. I ride my stationary bike like I'm Greg Lemond but my knees are still all kinds of fucked up. I can hardly do squats or leg presses anymore. I gained too many lbs this winter. Going to see how they feel when I drop some weight and then decide if I want an MRI or not.

tOfficial "Let's Old Guys at tSwill Share Advice Here" Thread..  - Page 2 502811600 Nice reference.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-04, 16:18

steveschneider wrote:My most recent visit to the dentist kind of sparked a health kick in me. Just being in the office made me realize I want to avoid chronic health issues and unpleasant procedures. Been vigilant about my oral hygiene ever since and it's spilled over to other aspects of my life.

Been drinking veggies smoothies for breakfast and I feel great after having them. Spinach, banana, a little mango, almond milk, ginger, hemp protein, sometimes a beat. I think diet is crucial to staying and feeling younger. Who knows if it will pay off but I'm giving it a shot for now. Been eating more beans too. I read about blue zones and I guess the common theme in areas where people live longer is they eat tons of beans. In 55 years I'll find out if this healthier eating pays off or not.
I have a similar drink every morning: blueberries, an apple, spinach and two clementines + almond milk.

I also throw in a tablespoon of acacia and psyllium husk.

As far as exercise goes, simply move. Yard work, snow shoveling, go for walks after dinner - you don't have to be an Ironman to improve your health.

Try to eliminate added sugars and processed foods. Cut out breads, pasta and rice.

I've found that as I age, it's more difficult, as our metabolism changes.. I think I noticed it the first time at around 30. I just try to be conscientious about the little things: they add up.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-05-04, 18:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:My most recent visit to the dentist kind of sparked a health kick in me. Just being in the office made me realize I want to avoid chronic health issues and unpleasant procedures. Been vigilant about my oral hygiene ever since and it's spilled over to other aspects of my life.

I have a similar drink every morning: blueberries, an apple, spinach and two clementines + almond milk.

As far as exercise goes, simply move. Yard work, snow shoveling, go for walks after dinner - you don't have to be an Ironman to improve your health.

Try to eliminate added sugars and processed foods. Cut out breads, pasta and rice.

I've found that as I age, it's more difficult, as our metabolism changes.. I think I noticed it the first time at around 30. I just try to be conscientious about the little things: they add up.

Yeah, I do dumb shit like park way out in the parking lot to force myself to get more steps. When I golf I walk the course. What does the acacia do?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2019-05-04, 18:25

I chew tobacco and my psychiatrist says either keep my meds where they are or she’s not going to reduce. I quit for a week but I feel the mental perks of nicotine is helping me with my sales job. My sales decrease when I’m not chewing. I’m too old to change careers.

I’m debating chewing a couple times a week and lying to my psych doctor in order to reduce my meds.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-04, 18:52

Rocinante wrote:Why don’t you guys ride bikes. It’s just as good for you as running and it’s not hard on your knees.

That's what I did to get started. Well, walking first, but then that. I get shin splints so running is out. Biking is fun and I've discovered we have a pretty nice network of trails around here. Then came the elliptical at the gym in non-biking weather.

tGreenWay wrote:Remarkable job, Floyd. You get today’s tSwill attaboy.

steveschneider wrote:Amazing work, Floyd.

Robert J Sakimano wrote:not at all, man - great job!

Thanks, guys.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-05-04, 20:51

You're doing great Floyd. Wish I had your ambition and discipline.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-05-04, 21:52

Bill Cain wrote:I chew tobacco and my psychiatrist says either keep my meds where they are or she’s not going to reduce. I quit for a week but I feel the mental perks of nicotine is helping me with my sales job. My sales decrease when I’m not chewing. I’m too old to change careers.

I’m debating chewing a couple times a week and lying to my psych doctor in order to reduce my meds.

How old are you, Bill?

"There's still time to change the road you're on..."
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-04, 21:54

Too old to change careers. Lol.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-05, 08:44

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I have a similar drink every morning: blueberries, an apple, spinach and two clementines + almond milk.

Yeah, I do dumb shit like park way out in the parking lot to force myself to get more steps. When I golf I walk the course. What does the acacia do?
it's been show to act as an anti-inflammatory, helps with digestion as a pro-biotic, metabalizing and removing toxins from the body.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2019-05-05, 16:46

Cameron wrote:
Bill Cain wrote:I chew tobacco and my psychiatrist says either keep my meds where they are or she’s not going to reduce. I quit for a week but I feel the mental perks of nicotine is helping me with my sales job. My sales decrease when I’m not chewing. I’m too old to change careers.

How old are you, Bill?

Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-05-05, 18:30

Bill Cain wrote:
Cameron wrote:

How old are you, Bill?

Yeah, you're not too old to change careers.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2