Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's fresh fruit time: ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought

+15
NigelUno
MSU addict
Dendrobates
GRR Spartan
Watch Out Pylon!
Motown Spartan
InTenSity
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Senior Dickfist
WhiteBoyHatcher
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

It's fresh fruit time:  ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought - Page 2 Empty Re: It's fresh fruit time: ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought

Post by Floyd Robertson 2022-05-13, 05:53

With no respect whatsoever, who tf buys fruit at Meijer? That shit gone bad in two days.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

It's fresh fruit time:  ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought - Page 2 Empty Re: It's fresh fruit time: ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought

Post by DWags 2022-05-13, 06:58

Floyd Robertson wrote:With no respect whatsoever, who tf buys fruit at Meijer? That shit gone bad in two days.

While true, you do it at 11:30 when you need coffee cream. However the sign is correct…. And official.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-05-13, 10:57

The raspberries are so damn good right now
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-05-13, 11:13

Dendrobates wrote:The raspberries are so damn good right now

I put them in plain yogurt for my dessert. They are very good, actually pretty damn cheap
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-13, 11:27

The best time of year for fruit is when Michigan strawberries and blueberries are in season, just a few weeks away. Then Paw Paw season, and finally, Michigan cherry and apple season.
And, if we’re being honest, I made up the part about Paw Paw season. I don’t know when they are ready for picking. Ask Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-06-11, 16:48

I've finally started to appreciate how great mangoes are, but they'd be a lot better if they had smaller pits and were easier to clean.

#randomfruitthoughts
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-06-11, 16:56

Just bought my first batch of cherries from Randazzo's. Ate some. The rest are in the fridge.

Right on.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 17:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've finally started to appreciate how great mangoes are, but they'd be a lot better if they had smaller pits and were easier to clean.

#randomfruitthoughts

I just wish I liked the taste.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 17:05

Pineapple is still the best smell and taste. Thinking about trying to grow one or two, but it’s a multi-year process.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 17:25

DWags wrote:Just bought my first batch of cherries from Randazzo's. Ate some. The rest are in the fridge.

Right on.
Cherries are my favorite food. Not just my favorite fruit, my favorite food overall. It is either cherries or Oreos, but cherries get the nod because they are healthier.

I have bought at least 15 pounds so far this season. I haven't seen any Washington cherries (all from California so far) but soon, very soon.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 17:29

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've finally started to appreciate how great mangoes are, but they'd be a lot better if they had smaller pits and were easier to clean.

#randomfruitthoughts
It is unconventional but my go to way to clean a mango is with a very sharp vegetable peeler. Lop off the top and bottom with a knife then use the peeler. Stand it up on the stem end that you previously took off and run a chef's knife along the pit on each side. Clean up any remaining mango on the short side of the pit.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 17:30

MSU addict wrote:
DWags wrote:Just bought my first batch of cherries from Randazzo's. Ate some. The rest are in the fridge.

Right on.
Cherries are my favorite food. Not just my favorite fruit, my favorite food overall. It is either cherries or Oreos, but cherries get the nod because they are healthier.

I have bought at least 15 pounds so far this season. I haven't seen any Washington cherries (all from California so far) but soon, very soon.

Tread lightly in your bonding with Dwags. Before you know it, he’ll have you refrigerating every piece of fruit in your house.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 17:32

MSU addict wrote:

#randomfruitthoughts
It is unconventional but my go to way to clean a mango is with a very sharp vegetable peeler. Lop off the top and bottom with a knife then use the peeler. Stand it up on the stem end that you previously took off and run a chef's knife along the pit on each side. Clean up any remaining mango on the short side of the pit.

How can I, pardon the pun, grow to like the taste of mango? It’s a healthy food, but it lacks the sweetness of many fruits and tastes almost flat to me. Also, I’d like to subscribe to your YouTube channel.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-06-11, 17:34

tGreenWay wrote:Pineapple is still the best smell and taste. Thinking about trying to grow one or two, but it’s a multi-year process.

They've gotten ridiculously cheap compared to a few decades ago. I went through a long phase where I was buying a fresh pineapple every week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 17:35

tGreenWay wrote:
MSU addict wrote:Cherries are my favorite food.  Not just my favorite fruit, my favorite food overall.  It is either cherries or Oreos, but cherries get the nod because they are healthier.

I have bought at least 15 pounds so far this season.  I haven't seen any Washington cherries (all from California so far) but soon, very soon.  

Tread lightly in your bonding with Dwags. Before you know it, he’ll have you refrigerating every piece of fruit in your house.
I eat A LOT of fruit.  It is my normal breakfast and lunch.  Fruit is best stored in the fridge, except of course bananas and some fruits like peaches, plums, pears and mangoes that are still hard.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2023-06-11, 17:47; edited 3 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-06-11, 17:36

Wild raspberries are good. I store them outside.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 17:46

tGreenWay wrote:
MSU addict wrote:It is unconventional but my go to way to clean a mango is with a very sharp vegetable peeler. Lop off the top and bottom with a knife then use the peeler. Stand it up on the stem end that you previously took off and run a chef's knife along the pit on each side. Clean up any remaining mango on the short side of the pit.

How can I, pardon the pun, grow to like the taste of mango? It’s a healthy food, but it lacks the sweetness of many fruits and tastes almost flat to me. Also, I’d like to subscribe to your YouTube channel.
Personally, I find a ripe mango quite sweet. I would also disagree on the "flat" taste. It always tastes tropical to me, much more so than a papaya. If anything, I am not that big of a fan of the texture.

That said, I do believe the more you eat something the more start to like it. My wife loves Brussels sprouts, I never liked them much, but would make them for her. As I ate more and more of them, I really began to enjoy them.

Sorry, I do not have a youtube channel.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-06-11, 17:53

tGreenWay wrote:Pineapple is still the best smell and taste. Thinking about trying to grow one or two, but it’s a multi-year process.

I love fresh pineapple but hate cutting it up
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 18:08

Floyd Robertson wrote:

They've gotten ridiculously cheap compared to a few decades ago. I went through a long phase where I was buying a fresh pineapple every week.
I am trying to think of the last week where I did not buy a pineapple. I usually buy one a week, occasionally I will pass if I do not see one I like.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-11, 18:21

duffy munn wrote:

FWIW, my go to way to clean/cut up a pineapple -

Using a (sharp) chef's knife, lop off the bottom and top.  Stand it on the bottom cut it into fourths.  Take one of the quarters, standing it upright and split it in half.  Run the knife down to cut out the core an then along the skin side curving it along the way.  When it is split like this it is easy to identify where to cut.  Take the two pieces lay them length wise next to each other, cut them into chunks.  Repeat with the remaining quarters.  Takes less than five minutes total.

Yes, you can split into eights when it is standing upright instead of quarters that you split, but I find I get uneven pieces when I do it that way.

I looked at youtube to try to find someone doing it the way I do, but everyone I clicked did it some other way that I found based on experience kind of stupid.  Maybe I should start a youtube channel.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-06-11, 18:28

MSU addict wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

FWIW, my go to way to clean/cut up a pineapple -

Using a (sharp) chef's knife, lop off the bottom and top.  Stand it on the bottom cut it into fourths.  Take one of the quarters, standing it upright and split it in half.  Run the knife down to cut out the core an then along the skin side curving it along the way.  When it is split like this it is easy to identify where to cut.  Take the two pieces lay them length wise next to each other, cut them into chunks.  Repeat with the remaining quarters.  Takes less than five minutes total.

Yes, you can split into eights when it is standing upright instead of quarters that you split, but I find I get uneven pieces when I do it that way.

I looked at youtube to try to find someone doing it the way I do, but everyone I clicked did it some other way that I found based on experience kind of stupid.  Maybe I should start a youtube channel.

I'll try this but pretty sure I will still hate it
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-06-11, 18:32

NigelUno wrote:Wild raspberries are good. I store them outside.

Nothing like coming across them on a hike and eating them off the vine. Glorious
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-06-11, 18:48

DWags wrote:

Nothing like coming across them on a hike and eating them off the vine. Glorious

Except they're room temperature, whereas some people prefer them chilled.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-06-11, 18:50

DWags wrote:

Grandpa in Laurium had an awesome garden. Had a couple rows of raspberry bushes. Was difficult going out to pick them to bring inside because I ended up eating most of them.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-06-11, 19:07

First off. Fuck randazzos. I tried to sell them, they only buy based on price, which means they buy shitty quality most of the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.
2nd, store bought fruit needs shelf life, which means most retailers want it to ripen after it gets to them.
3. Here is my mango tree.
It's fresh fruit time:  ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought - Page 2 20230610

InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-06-11, 19:25

InTenSity wrote:First off. Fuck randazzos. I tried to sell them, they only buy based on price, which means they buy shitty quality most of the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.
2nd, store bought fruit needs shelf life, which means most retailers want it to ripen after it gets to them.
It's fresh fruit time:  ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought - Page 2 20230610

Hmmm randazxos on metro and Schoenher has the best fruit around. And I’m a bit of a fruit snob.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-06-11, 20:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

Walk in the morning when it’s colder out.

Boom. Chilled raspberries.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 20:07

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Pineapple has quite a few health benefits, too. I was buying one every week, too, but then my wife started buying the pre-cut and I’ve gotten lazy. I like cutting them up. They’re super fresh and it’s easy to save the juice. I need to get back to buying the entire fruit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 20:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

It's fresh fruit time:  ITT we help each other find, buy and store the best, freshest fruit we've found or bought - Page 2 502811600 Zing
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-11, 20:19

InTenSity wrote:First off. Fuck randazzos. I tried to sell them, they only buy based on price, which means they buy shitty quality most of the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.

Do you just wait for them to fall or shake your tree thing?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-06-11, 20:58

DWags wrote:

Hmmm randazxos on metro and Schoenher has the best fruit around. And I’m a bit of a fruit snob.

You’re a bit of a fruit, that’s for sure.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-06-11, 21:10

Had some really good cherrys from Kroger. Fwiw.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-06-11, 22:06

tGreenWay wrote:

Honestly, most of them fall. We have 40-60 fall in a day. Its almost done now.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-12, 00:18

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Honestly, most of them fall. We have 40-60 fall in a day. Its almost done now.

Here, you need this list:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/mango-recipes
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-06-12, 08:04

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Had some really good cherrys from Kroger. Fwiw.

Rainier?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-06-12, 09:25

NigelUno wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Had some really good cherrys from Kroger. Fwiw.

Rainier?
They were red-ish... Had a stem. Pit inside.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-06-12, 10:30

Best early strawberries are from Plant City FL. If they’re from CA don’t tast as good. Extra 1000 miles of transit doesn’t help. Nearly all the local strawberry and blueberry patches around Lansing and GR are now subdivisions.

Canadian strawberries I found at Costco are very good.

On the vegetable aisle, MI asparagus is in season and available.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-12, 13:31

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Rainier?

Your answer is probably making Addict’s head explode. lol Bing are deep red, Rainier are yellow/red.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2023-06-12, 16:43

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Your answer is probably making Addict’s head explode. lol Bing are deep red, Rainier are yellow/red.
Not at all. Obviously Rainier cherries and Bing cherries are very different, but most people don't need to know the various varieties - just what they like.

Rainier cherries are well branded, but the vast majority of people could not tell it from an Early Robin cherry which is very similar in color and taste. A lot of the "Bing" cherries that people eat are really a different variety - Chelan cherries. They ripen and come to market a couple of weeks earlier than Bings and very similar in appearance and taste. Chelan cherries are also less likely to split and fuse, so they are easier to grow.

I do try to pay attention if the variety is labeled, but often it is not. There are a lot of varieties - my favorite is probably the black pearl (or ebony pearl - a trademarked variety).
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-06-12, 19:18

MSU addict wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Not at all. Obviously Rainier cherries and Bing cherries are very different, but most people don't need to know the various varieties - just what they like.

Rainier cherries are well branded, but the vast majority of people could not tell it from an Early Robin cherry which is very similar in color and taste. A lot of the "Bing" cherries that people eat are really a different variety - Chelan cherries. They ripen and come to market a couple of weeks earlier than Bings and very similar in appearance and taste. Chelan cherries are also less likely to split and fuse, so they are easier to grow.

I do try to pay attention if the variety is labeled, but often it is not. There are a lot of varieties - my favorite is probably the black pearl (or ebony pearl - a trademarked variety).

There has never been a huge selection of cherry varieties where I shop. It’s almost always been Bing and Rainier. I do buy dried cherries and those are most often Montmorency. I really wish Horrock’s would open a store on my side of town. They’d elevate the produce game around here.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next