Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

+20
Robert J Sakimano
AMwood
Cym Jim
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
Triple Sparty
I.B. Fine
Vlad
InTenSity
The_Dude
Travis of the Cosmos
Giant Moose
HT
tGreenWay
By-Tor
y2kMgrad
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
DWags
Brock Middlebrook
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? Empty What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-11, 12:28

I like them a little sugary, but I'm open to all suggestions. I can never find any I really like.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? Empty Re: What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

Post by DWags 2015-08-11, 12:30

I'm a sauce snob and haven't tasted one in over 30 years from a store. Greatest thing my wife learned from my mom and dad was my grandmothers sauce recipe.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? Empty Re: What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-11, 12:43

When I eat pasta, I miss my ex wife.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-11, 12:47

DWags wrote:I'm a sauce snob and haven't tasted one in over 30 years from a store. Greatest thing my wife learned from my mom and dad was my grandmothers sauce recipe.

Well, unless you invite me over, that doesn't help me.

My wife learned how to open a can of Ragu from her mother, and that shit sucks.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-08-11, 13:13

Rocinante wrote:When I eat pasta, I miss my ex wife.

One of my ex-wife's strong points was knowing her way around the kitchen. She made everything from scratch and here sauce was really good. Now I'm stuck with the likes of Classico. I doctor the shit out of that, but I still know that it came from a jar.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-11, 13:19

Floyd Robertson wrote:

One of my ex-wife's strong points was knowing her way around the kitchen. She made everything from scratch and here sauce was really good. Now I'm stuck with the likes of Classico. I doctor the shit out of that, but I still know that it came from a jar.

If you guys aren't afraid to cook over a stove and bake, when my wife comes home I'll get her recipe. Just take an hour and a half or so, make a bunch, use it fresh and freeze the rest. I bet my wife makes a batch once every three months or so. Freeze the rest and it's good to go on thaw.
Seriously for family birthdays we pick our restaurant to go to, both my daughters have requested "grandmas spaghetti" instead more than once.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-08-11, 13:25

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

If you guys aren't afraid to cook over a stove and bake, when my wife comes home I'll get her recipe. Just take an hour and a half or so, make a bunch, use it fresh and freeze the rest. I bet my wife makes a batch once every three months or so. Freeze the rest and it's good to go on thaw.
Seriously for family birthdays we pick our restaurant to go to, both my daughters have requested "grandmas spaghetti" instead more than once.

I'm game, but it might be better if you just send your wife over to my place one afternoon.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-11, 13:28

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'm game, but it might be better if you just send your wife over to my place one afternoon.

This.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-08-11, 13:33

Prego Mushroom
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-08-11, 13:37

Pomodoro or bolognese are some of the easiest recipes in a kitchen to master. I could fuck up some bolognese spaghetti, fresh bread and a salad on a Sunday afternoon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/simple-bolognese-recipe2.html

To change it up I omit the basil and go with a couple of bay leaves, dash of cloves and cinnamon for a different flavor profile. It's fuckin good.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-11, 13:54

Some restaurants sell their sauces.

Just don't buy sttore stuff
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-11, 13:57

So, was the opposite true?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-11, 13:59

The only brand of sauce in a jar I can hold down is Barillo, and even that I have to play around with. All the others are inedible, at least to me. I haven't found any truly great recipes, so I've played around with some I've found online.
It sucks coming from a family of terrible cooks. No secret recipes handed down through the generations, no learning from experience in the kitchen when I was a kid. My dad as probably the best cook and his secret ingredient was black pepper. My mom's secret was to thoroughly overcook everything.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-08-11, 14:01

Anything you can get from a store. Those companies got to the point of mass-producing their sauce for a reason, and capitalism always makes sure the best survive.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-08-11, 14:03

HT wrote:Anything you can get from a store. Those companies got to the point of mass-producing their sauce for a reason, and capitalism always makes sure the best survive.
I don't know about that. I can't imagine Walmart pasta sauce tasting any good.

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? TMWTMHh
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-11, 14:04

Giant Moose wrote:
HT wrote:Anything you can get from a store. Those companies got to the point of mass-producing their sauce for a reason, and capitalism always makes sure the best survive.
I don't know about that. I can't imagine Walmart pasta sauce tasting any good.

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? TMWTMHh

That looks like something MSU Beefman would eat.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-11, 14:05

DWags wrote:

So, was the opposite true?

No.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-11, 15:34

My favorite of all the commercial sauces is Kroger store brand.   I prefer it over any of the name brand sauces I've ever tried.   The worst is that canned Hunt's shit.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-08-11, 15:39

tGreenWay wrote:The only brand of sauce in a jar I can hold down is Barillo, and even that I have to play around with. All the others are inedible, at least to me. I haven't found any truly great recipes, so I've played around with some I've found online.
It sucks coming from a family of terrible cooks. No secret recipes handed down through the generations, no learning from experience in the kitchen when I was a kid.  My dad as probably the best cook and his secret ingredient was black pepper.  My mom's secret was to thoroughly overcook everything.  
Oh look at me I only eat barillo I'm such a fancy mother fucker and the other sauces are beneath me. 

Just kidding. Pops was born in Italy. Store bought sauce is disgusting and inedible to use.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-08-11, 15:45

Mario Batali's brand of pasta sauce.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-08-11, 15:53

The_Dude wrote:Mario Batali's brand of pasta sauce.
What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? Mario-balotelli-3_BGS
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-08-11, 15:57

Maybe I've just never really had a good sauce, but pasta is at the bottom of things I enjoy eating.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-08-11, 15:59

InTenSity wrote:Maybe I've just never really had a good sauce, but pasta is at the bottom of things I enjoy eating.

Fresh from scratch pasta that is labor intensive is great.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-08-11, 16:09

I highly recommend Mezzetta! If you like the sauce to be a bit spicy, try their arrabiata or the spicy marinara. The porcini mushroom is really good too.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-11, 16:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:The only brand of sauce in a jar I can hold down is Barillo, and even that I have to play around with. All the others are inedible, at least to me. I haven't found any truly great recipes, so I've played around with some I've found online.
It sucks coming from a family of terrible cooks. No secret recipes handed down through the generations, no learning from experience in the kitchen when I was a kid.  My dad as probably the best cook and his secret ingredient was black pepper.  My mom's secret was to thoroughly overcook everything.  
Oh look at me I only eat barillo I'm such a fancy mother fucker and the other sauces are beneath me. 

Just kidding. Pops was born in Italy. Store bought sauce is disgusting and inedible to use.

I hope you were bowed down while you were typing that. Meanwhile, I married an Italian woman. Her standards are very high, with the exception of the guy she married. I'm the outlier.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-08-11, 16:43

By-Tor wrote:Pomodoro or bolognese are some of the easiest recipes in a kitchen to master. I could fuck up some bolognese spaghetti, fresh bread and a salad on a Sunday afternoon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/simple-bolognese-recipe2.html

To change it up I omit the basil and go with a couple of bay leaves, dash of cloves and cinnamon for a different flavor profile. It's fuckin good.

Forget the ground beef, use short ribs. Thank me later.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-08-11, 19:38

You speak my language, friend. Braised short ribs over pasta is one of my absolute faves.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-11, 21:04

Can you guys explain the short run thing?

I usually get a four cheese. Brown garlic peppers and onions. Brown meat. Add sauce. Simmer. Add tommy toe paste to thicken. Add brown sugar to sweeten.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-08-11, 22:30

No puedo hacerlo
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-11, 22:48

Triple Sparty wrote:Can you guys explain the short run thing?

I usually get a four cheese. Brown garlic peppers and onions. Brown meat. Add sauce. Simmer. Add tommy toe paste to thicken. Add brown sugar to sweeten.
That's absolutely disgusting. You are yet another fool that I've heard of adding sugar to red sauce, but the first to use brown sugar.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-11, 22:56

My spaghetti sauce once got two thumbs up from DirecTV installer who had to spend a few hours getting our house set up. He can assure you he had much more refined taste than some turd who thinks the UP is Up North.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-11, 22:58

*I can assure you, darn it.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-11, 23:04

I learned red sauce from my off-the-boat Italian in-laws that owned a few restaurants in the Detroit area. Sugar is not in the mix, ever. The only sweetness needed comes from sweating onions in olive oil.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-11, 23:22

Next you'll tell me my sushi shouldn't have cream cheese or eel sauce.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-11, 23:46

Prego 4 cheese

Suck it
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-08-12, 01:46

Savages. It takes less time to knock up a fresh sauce than it takes the pasta to cook. Turn off Sportscenter and cook some fucking garlic.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-12, 02:05

Cym Jim wrote:Savages. It takes less time to knock up a fresh sauce than it takes the pasta to cook. Turn off Sportscenter and cook some fucking garlic.

You know the thing the English are known for? Their cuisine.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-08-12, 02:52

Rocinante wrote:You know the thing the English are known for? Their cuisine.

Indeed. The Brits have ruled the world in contemporary food for at least the last 10-15 years. Ever noticed that all decent chefs on your TV at English? Odd huh. There were some dark times in the 70s and 80s I will concede, and the odd Yank still complains of struggles to find decent pizza in the touristy areas of London, but let's contemporize. If you're looking for those leading the movement of fresh local food, cooked properly, prepared creatively, then get your sorry jar-sauce eating ass across the pond What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? 969504605.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-12, 03:17

Rocinante wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:Savages. It takes less time to knock up a fresh sauce than it takes the pasta to cook. Turn off Sportscenter and cook some fucking garlic.

I thought it was acting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-12, 09:36

DWags wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I thought it was acting.

I thought it was drooling and spitting through their teeth whilst talking
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next