Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team

+18
NigelUno
Jake from State Farm
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
InTenSity
Bill Cain
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
Nordic
The Pantry
AvgMSUJoe
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
DWags
22 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team - Page 6 Empty Re: Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team

Post by NigelUno 2019-07-07, 08:24

No way we lose to some team called NED.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team - Page 6 Empty Re: Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team

Post by DWags 2019-07-07, 08:26

We got this!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-07-07, 08:42

Going to put my USA T shirt on right now.

I don't have any USA shoes though.

Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team - Page 6 1f1fa-1f1f8
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-07, 09:09

Wake up lovers of America.. it's match day!!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-07-07, 10:20

If there's one thing Dutch soccer is good at, it is losing in Finals.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-07, 10:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Wake up lovers of America.. it's match day!!

I haven’t felt this patriotic since the bi-centennial. I just might go grill a hot dog and play Garth Brooks
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-07-07, 10:27

My homeland vs. my home land. Go USA
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-07, 10:32

Tim Wakefield wrote:My homeland vs. my home land. Go USA

Fuck the Dutch. We’re gonna skull fuck those wooden shoe wearing tulip sniffing nice people.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-07, 10:33

DWags wrote:

I haven’t felt this patriotic since the bi-centennial. I just might go grill a hot dog and play Garth Brooks
Women’s World Cup thread. Stand alone thread for our best national team - Page 6 502811600

Warning: I won't be live posting. I'll be locked in.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-07-07, 11:14

Soccer highlights: fun

Soccer games: boring
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-07, 11:27

Thought that was going to be a goal for Syracuse.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-07-07, 11:57

Might put some USA socks on.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-07-07, 12:22

Goal!
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-07-07, 12:29

Woooooooooooo!!!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-07-07, 12:30

Goal!
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-07, 12:33

Just sat down for lunch on the way home from Louisville. Just in time for the GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-07, 12:48

It's a good day if you love America.

So happy for these ladies.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-07, 13:06

We're #1 bitches! Suck it planet Earth.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-07, 13:16

Best national team we have. These ladies are unbelievable.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-07, 13:19

So much fun to watch.. and these ladies are badasses.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-07-07, 13:29

I watched all the parts of the game that no goals were scored in. I had to run errands at half and took longer than expected. I was listening in the radio though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-07, 14:25

DWags wrote:Best national team we have. These ladies are unbelievable.  

Screw equal pay. The men should be paid less. They don't win anything and bring shame upon this great nation. The women are so damn good at their craft. Merit matters.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-07, 14:36

Women's success
Four World Cup titles and four Olympic gold medals

Men's success
Once finished fifth in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-07, 15:00

Turtleneck wrote:Women's success

Men's success

Also successful in getting paid more because of their penis
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-07, 15:03

DWags wrote:

Men's success

Maybe their biggest success.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-07-07, 15:03

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Maybe their biggest achievement.

That's what she said
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-07-07, 23:16

‪Equally bad groups of people:‬

‪-Americans who wanted @USWNT to lose the World Cup‬

‪-Americans who are glad @USMNT lost to Mexico tonight‬
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2019-07-08, 08:42

Nothing better than seeing a group of take no shit women succeed and keep on reminding FIFA and US Soccer how they have fucked up.

FoxSports is looking real smart this morning. They got a ratings winner with US women and Women's World Cup for a month.

On the other end of the stick is NBC who went all in on horse racing and NASCAR's 2nd half. Two "Oh that happened this weekend" fading sports.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-07-08, 09:00

Men's success

More importantly, the USWNT at least had a HUGE TV ratings boost because of the world cup run. Men have never had that. They should be paid based on relative interest... incentive-ize their pay directly related to ratings. Especially in Soccer (and olympic type sports) since no gives a shit 98% of the time.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-07-08, 10:00

Tim Wakefield wrote:‪Equally bad groups of people:‬

So, coming from the perspective of someone that doesn't follow soccer. I thought I had heard that the USMNT had some termoil. I thought there were issues with the coach, or the fact that some people didn't like the coach. I'm not sure, I swear when they didn't make the last World Cup, some people were happy because they are hoping for a coaching change.

Or I'm completely offbase and have no idea what I'm talking about, which is probably more accurate.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-08, 11:11

the anti-American faction of America are gonna be so sick of these ladies.

And I love it. Love what they do, how they do it, and what it means to the young girls in America.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-07-08, 12:12

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Men's success

More importantly, the USWNT at least had a HUGE TV ratings boost because of the world cup run. Men have never had that. They should be paid based on relative interest... incentive-ize their pay directly related to ratings. Especially in Soccer (and olympic type sports) since no gives a shit 98% of the time.
You sure about that? Overnight ratings are saying that viewership for the final was down significantly from the final 4 years ago. Granted, that 2015 Final was in prime time for most of the US. That 2015 Final was the most watched soccer game in history in the US, but only slightly surpassed a 2014 group stage game by the men, which was played in the afternoon. So I don't think you can say that the men don't get a ratings bump from the World Cup.

But regardless of that, I agree in theory that their pay should be incentivized based on ratings and/or attendance. But in practice, that would only serve to de-incentivize the men. The men, especially the few good ones, make many times more money from their clubs than the national team. If you're going to potentially reduce their pay even more by tying it to ratings, then at what point is it not worth it to jeopardize their long-term earning ability?

Now, of course, you might say, "Who cares if they don't play, the men's team sucks anyway." That's true, but the earning potential for US Soccer is so much more from the men. Ok, so for the first time in 30 years the US didn't make the WC last summer. But if they had even scraped their way into the WC, and then even lost all three of their group stage games, they still would have earned more money for US Soccer than the women's team earned by winning the whole damn thing.

Before I sound like I'm against the women's team, or their earnings or anything, let me state emphatically that I'm not. If it is proven (as has been claimed) that the women generate more revenue than the men, they should get paid accordingly. I don't know what all goes into figuring that, but on average, the men's viewership is larger and men's home games generate more in ticket sales, though not making the World Cup at all, shirt sales, sponsorships, and other things also play into the revenue. I'm just pointing out that there are factors beyond revenue that impact pay. Basically, soccer (more than any other sport) is an open, free market. Your value is whatever someone is willing to pay versus how much you're willing to take. That doesn't mean that US Soccer should follow that open market, however. The reason our women's team is the best in the world is because over the last several decades we have gone against the grain when it comes to girls/women's soccer, in terms of opportunities and development.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-08, 12:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

You sure about that? Overnight ratings are saying that viewership for the final was down significantly from the final 4 years ago. Granted, that 2015 Final was in prime time for most of the US. That 2015 Final was the most watched soccer game in history in the US, but only slightly surpassed a 2014 group stage game by the men, which was played in the afternoon. So I don't think you can say that the men don't get a ratings bump from the World Cup.

But regardless of that, I agree in theory that their pay should be incentivized based on ratings and/or attendance. But in practice, that would only serve to de-incentivize the men. The men, especially the few good ones, make many times more money from their clubs than the national team. If you're going to potentially reduce their pay even more by tying it to ratings, then at what point is it not worth it to jeopardize their long-term earning ability?

Now, of course, you might say, "Who cares if they don't play, the men's team sucks anyway." That's true, but the earning potential for US Soccer is so much more from the men. Ok, so for the first time in 30 years the US didn't make the WC last summer. But if they had even scraped their way into the WC, and then even lost all three of their group stage games, they still would have earned more money for US Soccer than the women's team earned by winning the whole damn thing.

Before I sound like I'm against the women's team, or their earnings or anything, let me state emphatically that I'm not. If it is proven (as has been claimed) that the women generate more revenue than the men, they should get paid accordingly. I don't know what all goes into figuring that, but on average, the men's viewership is larger and men's home games generate more in ticket sales, though not making the World Cup at all, shirt sales, sponsorships, and other things also play into the revenue. I'm just pointing out that there are factors beyond revenue that impact pay. Basically, soccer (more than any other sport) is an open, free market. Your value is whatever someone is willing to pay versus how much you're willing to take. That doesn't mean that US Soccer should follow that open market, however. The reason our women's team is the best in the world is because over the last several decades we have gone against the grain when it comes to girls/women's soccer, in terms of opportunities and development.
our men's team sucks.

The women rule. That's all I care about right now.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-07-08, 12:36

InTenSity wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:‪Equally bad groups of people:‬

So, coming from the perspective of someone that doesn't follow soccer. I thought I had heard that the USMNT had some termoil. I thought there were issues with the coach, or the fact that some people didn't like the coach. I'm not sure, I swear when they didn't make the last World Cup, some people were happy because they are hoping for a coaching change.

Or I'm completely offbase and have no idea what I'm talking about, which is probably more accurate.
After missing out on the WC last year, they did change the coach, the president of US Soccer stepped down (actually, he didn't seek re-election), and they appointed a general manager. So there's been big changes in the high level personnel, though some say it wasn't enough. It's too early to really tell, though. There's no real shame in losing 1-0 to Mexico, especially in a hostile environment (despite being played in Chicago). We have a 20 year old who is already the most talented player that the US has ever produced, and a couple of other really promising youngsters (including the son of a former FIFA World Player of the Year and now President of Liberia...just an interesting nugget). So there's no reason we shouldn't get back to the WC in 2022, but we just need to keep our best players away from the MLS.

But the biggest issues with the men's soccer in this country isn't with the current players, or those coming through in the short term. It's the youth coaching and development. Need an overhaul on that, but to be honest I don't really know what changes have been made on that since the new regime has taken over the top level.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-08, 12:59

I’m not happy our men’s team sucks, but they’ve been shitty long enough where I don’t care.

Whatever it’s gonna take to get better they need to do. Starting with earning a salary
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-07-08, 13:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
But the biggest issues with the men's soccer in this country isn't with the current players, or those coming through in the short term. It's the youth coaching and development. Need an overhaul on that, but to be honest I don't really know what changes have been made on that since the new regime has taken over the top level.

So... high school Soccer has to equal high school football or hoop....

Minus well disband the USMNT. Soccer can be like softball where only ladies, foreigners and drunk red blooded 'merican males play.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-07-08, 13:41

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

So... high school Soccer has to equal high school football or hoop....

Minus well disband the USMNT. Soccer can be like softball where only ladies, foreigners and drunk red blooded 'merican males play.
Actually, no. It's really even before high school. By high school, if a kid has the possibility of competing for a national team spot, he should be on a high-level travel team, an academy of a pro team, or the Olympic Development Program. In other words, very much on the radar. Of course, some kids will slip through. In fact, a lot probably slip through because there are too much of the pay to play teams. I think that the pro academies are helping with this, as I don't believe those are pay to play, since those teams are investing in kids that can pay off for them some day.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-07-08, 13:47

DWags wrote:I’m not happy our men’s team sucks, but they’ve been shitty long enough where I don’t care.

Whatever it’s gonna take to get better they need to do. Starting with earning a salary
I wouldn't say that the men have been shitty for a long time. Missing the 2018 World Cup was an aberration, as abysmal as it was. It was rock bottom, after clinging on to aging players too long. Prior to that, to put it into college sports terms, we were a solid Top 25 team. Yeah, that's shitty if the standard is the women's team (relative to their competition) or the mens/womens olympic basketball. But not shitty when you consider that as a whole this country really doesn't give much of a shit about it.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-09, 08:27

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-09, 12:45

this is pretty awesome and fun to watch.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next