Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus?? We gone?

+30
Robert J Sakimano
Tim Wakefield
Jake from State Farm
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
Wally Fairway
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Cameron
duffy munn
Heat Miser
MSU addict
InTenSity
DWags
CORNER BLITZ
Rocinante
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
Nordic
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
WhiteBoyHatcher
The Pantry
34 posters

Page 12 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Go down

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 Empty Re: Coronavirus?? We gone?

Post by Nordic Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 pm

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:For those seeking actual updates on this thing and not just in this thread to swing your dicks:
tl:dr If you have COVID-19 symptoms, don’t take ibuprofen (Advil) and take acetaminophen (Tylenol) instead.

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

There’s no good reason to avoid ibuprofen if you’re infected with the coronavirus

Been following this doc who is infected and tweeting a daily journal. March 15th he has a post about ibuprofen

https://mobile.twitter.com/yaletung
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:I mean, I generally assume that when I agree with Pantry, I'm probably wrong. But this shit really isn't that fucking complicated. We have a coronavirus thread on tBin. It's the perfect spot to talk about what a massive wanker our president is, and all other political aspects of this.

Playing the "you're mad, I win" card demonstrates a lack of intelligence. I expect that from Bob. Turtleneck, you're capable of better.

I don't feel like being told what to do. I also don't like posting in tBin.

Cool. Throwing hissy fits is a great alternative to doing something you "don't like" for no apparent reason. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you're on exactly Bob's level.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:09 am

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I don't feel like being told what to do. I also don't like posting in tBin.

Cool. Throwing hissy fits is a great alternative to doing something you "don't like" for no apparent reason. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you're on exactly Bob's level.

I didn't throw a fit. I'm not the one who melted down over politics on the main board. Man, you folks sure have a lot of time to care about meaningless shit like where posts are located on a message board.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:32 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I didn't throw a fit. I'm not the one who melted down over politics on the main board. Man, you folks sure have a lot of time to care about meaningless shit like where posts are located on a message board.

You've got 23,000 posts on me, pretty sure you have plenty of time as well. Keep deflecting, though, it's a great look for you.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:17 am

It’s not about the actual time, but you are right, I should stop. My apologies to the board for carrying on.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:53 am

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 502811600

Yeah, don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings here.

How is the kid?  I can't imagine when you see her how much you just want to hug her.  We've tried to keep our distance here.  Both of them home, but just kind of stay in their room.  We've had dinners at the big table, only four of us.  When I come in from outside I sanitize, as does my eldest who is working with homeless youth at a house, sometimes till midnight.  She's waiting to start her masters at Valpo in May, We haven't heard anything about it yet.  I feel pretty worthless actually.    Sucks.  We haven't let the youngest have her boyfriend over and we haven't let her go to his house.  She's gong to be 20 in a few months and she's pissed as hell at us.  It's really hard not to just grab them and hug them.  I was worrying about the games being played last week at this time.  That's actually pretty pathetic when you think of it.  What's it gonna be like a week from now?   Happy you got to see your kid today Bob.  This will pass, it has to.
thanks for asking.

She's doing pretty okay. A handful of her friends stayed back - at least for now. I think at first, it kinda felt like summer camp. Now that reality is setting in, some kids are heading back home. She knows she can come home some just for a change of scenery if she wants. We've been in touch via text more than usual. She's been sending goofy videos etc.

Like you, we do a ton of cleaning at home, scrubbing etc. Never washes my hands so much in my life.

Glad to hear things are going okay with you. Congrats on the oldest getting into grad school at Valpo. Exciting stuff.
I suspect they have contingency plans in place.

Kinda sucks for everyone. Yeah, hard to believe how fast things moved, esp those first 3-4 days after the initial reality set in.

Thanks again for checking in.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 am

Hope nobody got their feelings hurt overnight.

If so, know that our dear leader leader is doing a great job. Bigly.

Everyone is saying it.

There's no way he could've seen a global pandemic coming. Even though he knew it was a pandemic long before anyone else did.

It'll go away in April when it warms up. The hoax. The pandemic hoax

He's doing a tremendous job.

Thoughts and prayers.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 am

Advice From France To Avoid Ibuprofen For COVID-19 Leaves Experts Baffled

New York Times - Is Ibuprofen Really Risky for Coronavirus Patients?

(I think the NYT is now free.  You just have to register.)
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 am

Nordic wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

There’s no good reason to avoid ibuprofen if you’re infected with the coronavirus

Been following this doc who is infected and tweeting a daily journal. March 15th he has a post about ibuprofen

Other than "less tired" I can hardly understand anything he's saying.

Day 10 after #COVID diagnosis. Less tired, but more cough, ageusia & anosmia. No dyspnea or red flag symptoms. No fever. SpO2 97%. #POCUS update: Right, Left lower & lateral with thick pleural line & focal B-lines. On paracetamol + HCQ. #mycoviddiary

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 2599972566
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 am

Coronavirus kills 3 family members and sickens 4 others after a dinner in New Jersey

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:19 am

This shit is hitting home out here. Watched a report on the people that died out here so far. One guy was a first responder that suffered lung damage on 9/11. We are losing some great New Yorkers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am

Special Report: How Korea trounced U.S. in race to test people for coronavirus

In late January, South Korean health officials summoned representatives from more than 20 medical companies from their lunar New Year celebrations to a conference room tucked inside Seoul’s busy train station.

One of the country’s top infectious disease officials delivered an urgent message: South Korea needed an effective test immediately to detect the novel coronavirus, then running rampant in China. He promised the companies swift regulatory approval.

Though there were only four known cases in South Korea at that point, “we were very nervous. We believed that it could develop into a pandemic,” one attendee, Lee Sang-won, an infectious diseases expert at the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told Reuters.

“We acted like an army,” he said.

A week after the Jan. 27 meeting, South Korea’s CDC approved one company’s diagnostic test. Another company soon followed. By the end of February, South Korea was making headlines around the world for its drive-through screening centers and ability to test thousands of people daily.

South Korea’s swift action stands in stark contrast to what has transpired in the United States. Seven weeks after the train station meeting, the Koreans have tested well over 290,000 people and identified over 8,000 infections. New cases are falling off: Ninety-three were reported Wednesday, down from a daily peak of 909 two weeks earlier.

The United States, whose first case was detected the same day as South Korea’s, is not even close to meeting demand for testing. About 60,000 tests have been run by public and private labs in a country of 330 million, federal officials said Tuesday.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:41 am

in the greatest country in the world with, undoubtedly, the greatest leadership we've seen in generations.. the CDC is recommending using scarves and bandanas as masks.

As the national shortage of face masks becomes severe, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says nurses can use bandanas and scarves as makeshift masks when caring for COVID-19 patients — although it’s unclear whether they would protect medical workers.

(sorry if someone finds this post upsetting).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:43 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:in the greatest country in the world with, undoubtedly, the greatest leadership we've seen in generations.. the CDC is recommending using scarves and bandanas as masks.

As the national shortage of face masks becomes severe, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says nurses can use bandanas and scarves as makeshift masks when caring for COVID-19 patients — although it’s unclear whether they would protect medical workers.

If only there was a way to declare a war or something to get masks produced...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:31 am

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:in the greatest country in the world with, undoubtedly, the greatest leadership we've seen in generations.. the CDC is recommending using scarves and bandanas as masks.

Did the mask companies shut down? Surely they'd love the additional business. Do they not have any excess production capacity? Or do the hospitals not have the funding to buy more? I'm guessing it's the last one, which of course has an easy solution.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:33 am

Noooooo! I can’t go back to watching Non HD TV like a pion!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/19/tech/netflix-internet-overload-eu/index.html
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am

Heat Miser wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Did the mask companies shut down? Surely they'd love the additional business. Do they not have any excess production capacity? Or do the hospitals not have the funding to buy more? I'm guessing it's the last one, which of course has an easy solution.

Then there's this:

NNU President Bonnie Castillo called the CDC guidance a “recipe for making this disaster worse, potentially far worse,” and called on the federal Strategic National Stockpile and public health departments to release their supply of N95 masks.

I wonder who could easily make this happen (without being too political).
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am

Bravo GM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/kudlow-says-gm-ceo-offered-to-make-ventilators-for-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR2xIjVMCUurXZptNKEVP-WxlGbLPlUeWCN0kyUldxrVFcMU-Dr4EN5jiz8

GM offering to make ventilators.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am

steveschneider wrote:Bravo GM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/kudlow-says-gm-ceo-offered-to-make-ventilators-for-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR2xIjVMCUurXZptNKEVP-WxlGbLPlUeWCN0kyUldxrVFcMU-Dr4EN5jiz8

I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. Switching from cars to jeeps/tanks/airplanes (and producing 100s of thousands of them [economies of scale]) is one thing. From cars to ventilators (to produce a few thousand)? I think that would take 6 months at least. If we're still in that sort of crisis mode 6 months from now then things will be very bad indeed.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am

Another national hero. If he solves this one there should be a National Monument made for Dr. David Ho. Personal story got meet him and my child hood hero Magic Johnson at an Aaron Diamond Foundation Dinner.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/this-famous-aids-researcher-wants-to-find-a-coronavirus-cure

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:34 am

NigelUno wrote:Coronavirus kills 3 family members and sickens 4 others after a dinner in New Jersey

My wife grew up in Freehold, NJ and went to high school with some of the family. Not really in her circle of friends but she did know them. It really hits home for her.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:36 am

MSU addict wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Coronavirus kills 3 family members and sickens 4 others after a dinner in New Jersey

My wife grew up in Freehold, NJ and went to high school with some of the family. Not really in her circle of friends but she did know them. It really hits home for her.

Yeah, I think we are all entering the part of this where we start to hear of someone in our social circle that has this, or town or what not. It sucks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am

Heat Miser wrote:

I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. Switching from cars to jeeps/tanks/airplanes (and producing 100s of thousands of them [economies of scale]) is one thing. From cars to ventilators (to produce a few thousand)? I think that would take 6 months at least. If we're still in that sort of crisis mode 6 months from now then things will be very bad indeed.

I'm no expert either, but I've seen reports of masks being 3D printed already this week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am

MSU addict wrote:

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:44 am

Nordic wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon. Obviously most of his surgery is elective and almost all elective surgeries have been put on hold. Because of this - at the hospital where he works they are training all of their ortho doctors on Coronavirus treatment due to possible future need.

To make a long story short (he gave me a lengthy explanation regarding ACE2 receptors) he said that at this time he would choose acetaminophen over ibuprofen. That it may be nothing but why take the risk.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:45 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My wife grew up in Freehold, NJ and went to high school with some of the family. Not really in her circle of friends but she did know them. It really hits home for her.

Now I'm offended.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

MSU addict wrote:
Nordic wrote:

My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon. Obviously most of his surgery is elective and almost all elective surgeries have been put on hold. Because of this - at the hospital where he works they are training all of their ortho doctors on Coronavirus treatment due to possible future need.

To make a long story short (he gave me a lengthy explanation regarding ACE2 receptors) he said that at this time he would choose acetaminophen over ibuprofen. That it may be nothing but why take the risk.

That is my thought as well.
We don’t have the time and resources for those studies. But this is kind of trivial in deciding between Motrin or Tylenol. Then how about we all pick Tylenol just in case.

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:54 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My wife grew up in Freehold, NJ and went to high school with some of the family. Not really in her circle of friends but she did know them. It really hits home for her.

Obvioulsy he is Freehold's most famous son. He is 70, the wife is 48, so she did not know him.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I'm no expert either, but I've seen reports of masks being 3D printed already this week.
Interesting. We have a 3D printer at work. Wonder where we could get a step or parasolid file to use and what material is required?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Now I'm offended.
Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 502811600

You could sniffle, whine and complain about it..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 am

I don’t get the whole family starting to die. I mean this thing must be able to kill and kill quickly across the board. Unless there is something in that families DNA. I keep doing the math in total cases vs deaths. We have been steady around 2%. But this family is skewed. Why?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 am

Heat Miser wrote:

Tesla doing the same. I doubt they would use their assembly lines. Probably their secondary ops plants and prototype shops. They could flip that around pretty quick, but would need parts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-musk/teslas-musk-offers-to-make-ventilators-amid-shortage-in-coronavirus-battle-idUSKBN2160PM

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 am

Dendrobates wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon. Obviously most of his surgery is elective and almost all elective surgeries have been put on hold. Because of this - at the hospital where he works they are training all of their ortho doctors on Coronavirus treatment due to possible future need.

We don’t have the time and resources for those studies. But this is kind of trivial in deciding between Motrin or Tylenol. Then how about we all pick Tylenol just in case.

FWIW, he also mentioned that most generic acetaminophen is made in India, and they are apparently not exporting any drugs due to coronavirus. Probably more your are of expertise though.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:21 am

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Interesting. We have a 3D printer at work. Wonder where we could get a step or parasolid file to use and what material is required?

Gotta do it the old fashioned way (reverse engineering)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/3/17/21184308/coronavirus-italy-medical-company-threatens-sue-3d-print-valves-treatments
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am

DWags wrote:I don’t get the whole family starting to die. I mean this thing must be able to kill and kill quickly across the board. Unless there is something in that families DNA. I keep doing the math in total cases vs deaths. We have been steady around 2%. But this family is skewed. Why?

From the headline I assumed it was younger - but reading it was a 73 year old mother, 55 year old daughter, and unknown "oldest" son. Could also be a family of smokers, or they could have other medical/health issues, we don't know.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:24 am

Dendrobates wrote:
MSU addict wrote:
My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon.  Obviously most of his surgery is elective and almost all elective surgeries have been put on hold.  Because of this - at the hospital where he works they are training all of their ortho doctors on Coronavirus treatment due to possible future need.

To make a long story short (he gave me a lengthy explanation regarding ACE2 receptors) he said that at this time he would choose acetaminophen over ibuprofen.  That it may be nothing but why take the risk.  

The NYT article I linked probably has more important info (on both) as it relates to their use with a fever.

But taking a drug to reduce fever can lead to longer periods when people are infectious with viral infections, like the flu and or infections with other microorganisms, said Dr. Myron M. Levine, associate dean for global health, vaccinology and infectious diseases at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

There is at least a theoretical danger the fever-reducers — including acetaminophen — may have a similar effect in patients ill with the coronavirus. Although there is no research yet, “my personal gut feeling,” Dr. Levin said, is that it might be reasonable for a person infected with the coronavirus to avoid both kinds of painkillers.

A drug like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can bring a fever down, but you don’t want to keep taking it constantly, said Dr. Marguerite Neill, an infectious disease expert at Brown University. Let the fever do its job.

“A single dose of an Nsaid when the temperature is 103 or 104 in an adult who has the flu — I’m not saying that’s wrong,” Dr. Neill said. “But don’t keep pumping it in if the fever is lower.”

She quoted an 18th-century English physician, Dr. Thomas Sydenham: “Fever is nature’s engine which she brings to the battlefield to vanquish her enemies.”

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 am

Dendrobates wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon. Obviously most of his surgery is elective and almost all elective surgeries have been put on hold. Because of this - at the hospital where he works they are training all of their ortho doctors on Coronavirus treatment due to possible future need.

I bought a random cache of meds. Just grabbed one of everything.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am

A week later and the shelves at Pubix are pretty sparse.Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 1550444538

No rice. No pasta. No TP. No baby wipes. No ground beef.

Last edited by Heat Miser on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 12 05onfi10
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

Huh?

Trump is pimping a malaria drug?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 25  Next