Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The civil unrest thread

+20
NigelUno
The Pantry
Jake from State Farm
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
AvgMSUJoe
Dendrobates
Cameron
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
msugolfguy
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
24 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The civil unrest thread Empty The civil unrest thread

Post by kingstonlake Fri 29 May 2020 - 22:30

Why not.

Shits getting real and its wonderful. Dallas, Atlanta, De Moines, Minneapolis....I’m seeing people of ALL colors rallying, uniting, and standing for a common cause. And sure, some idiots.

Fuck the racist in chief and his kkk rallies. This is grass roots. These are Americans of all colors races and creeds coming together for a common cause and uniting. Man this feels good. If everyone comes together like this in November he can’t win and we can get to healing this country and erasing the stain of the last for years. Flip the script and bring back decency and humanity.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

The civil unrest thread Empty Re: The civil unrest thread

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 29 May 2020 - 23:50

Someone should tell Trump the rally he's been craving is righ outside his house. He should go out and talk to them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy Sat 30 May 2020 - 0:04

I honestly don't think this is about Trump at all. It's about people feeling they have no ownership of said community. Thus when they have demanded change It's been met by half measures or worse apathy.

I made a comment that pissed off my police friends about 5 years ago that if they don't change internally or show the public they are changing they'll get the same shitty policies that teachers have to deal with. Or worse. They labeled me as Anti police.

Well chickens came home to roost today.

My other crazy theory is that they saw what happened with the Covid protests and they realized that showing force will get things done.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 30 May 2020 - 6:52

Might not be directly about the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator but he calls white supremacists "very fine people" (on top of his long history of racism) so I suspect there is a casual association.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 7:32

I agree with Kingston that the diversity is amazing. Even see a majority of white folks in a lot of cases. This has never happened to this extent in civil rights related demonstrations, maybe not in any demonstration. It may signal a turning point in this country (even though it may be a slow turn). Ben Franklin said, "Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are."

I can't cheer on the violence, burning, looting, etc., however (not saying that kingston or anyone else is or is not). I wish it wouldn't devolve to that, but I understand that these protests are fueled by anger. They're relatively unorganized and spontaneous, as they're emotional at its core. I hope it leads to organized protests, as more organized protests tend to be more peaceful, and peaceful protests are more effective in getting more people on your side.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 8:18

The diversity is incredible....

https://twitter.com/nedwhat/status/1266515656037588992?s=21

Anyone with a bit of compassion and a brain knows the cops are a protected class and we’ve seen them more often than not get off with murdering African Americans. I think a lot of folks wanted to watch the process play out but it’s broken. Cops lie, cops protect eachother, and the prosecutors, politicians and judges all don’t do enough.

Cops need accountability and at this point enough is enough.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat 30 May 2020 - 8:35

In Detroit the story seems to be emerging that a bunch of suburbanites came into the city at the tail end of the peaceful protests and caused all of the trouble. Not sure if true or not but that's what I'm seeing this morning.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 8:41

I just like the idea that people are fed up. Everywhere. I fully expected the protests from minority communities to emerge. The diversity gives me hope that people aren’t gonna sit this out anymore. Be it an injustice or an election. I think people are finally realizing they have consequences.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 8:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:In Detroit the story seems to be emerging that a bunch of suburbanites came into the city at the tail end of the peaceful protests and caused all of the trouble. Not sure if true or not but that's what I'm seeing this morning.

Students from WMU and CMU?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat 30 May 2020 - 9:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:In Detroit the story seems to be emerging that a bunch of suburbanites came into the city at the tail end of the peaceful protests and caused all of the trouble. Not sure if true or not but that's what I'm seeing this morning.

Students from WMU and CMU?

The civil unrest thread 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 9:42

Just awful.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2020/05/30/police-man-killed-drive-during-detroit-police-brutality-protest/5289629002/

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:02

The arrest of reporters at these protests should be very alarming as well. Very authoritarian and we should all stand up for the press.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:I agree with Kingston that the diversity is amazing. Even see a majority of white folks in a lot of cases. This has never happened to this extent in civil rights related demonstrations, maybe not in any demonstration. It may signal a turning point in this country (even though it may be a slow turn). Ben Franklin said, "Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are."

I can't cheer on the violence, burning, looting, etc., however (not saying that kingston or anyone else is or is not). I wish it wouldn't devolve to that, but I understand that these protests are fueled by anger. They're relatively unorganized and spontaneous, as they're emotional at its core. I hope it leads to organized protests, as more organized protests tend to be more peaceful, and peaceful protests are more effective in getting more people on your side.

Well, in all fairness, calls for civility look a lot like attempts to silence people. When Kaepernick and other athletes engaged in peaceful protest and tried to open a dialogue, we told them to fuck off.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:42

steveschneider wrote:The arrest of reporters at these protests should be very alarming as well. Very authoritarian and we should all stand up for the press.

Has that happened other than the CNN guy?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:43

Tim Waltz says if you are on the streets of Minneapolis tonight you are are not with us. Claims 80% of the people on the streets aren’t from Minnesota.

Last edited by kingstonlake on Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:49; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:45

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:The arrest of reporters at these protests should be very alarming as well. Very authoritarian and we should all stand up for the press.

I think it happened in Ferguson more than a few times. Not sure about recently.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:47

Pushing this wild theory that it’s an organized crime group or platform. Gonna release data on who the people are that have been arrested. Boy they sure can act swiftly when they want. Make no mistake. Without video that cop would be a free man.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:50

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I agree with Kingston that the diversity is amazing. Even see a majority of white folks in a lot of cases. This has never happened to this extent in civil rights related demonstrations, maybe not in any demonstration. It may signal a turning point in this country (even though it may be a slow turn). Ben Franklin said, "Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are."

Well, in all fairness, calls for civility look a lot like attempts to silence people. When Kaepernick and other athletes engaged in peaceful protest and tried to open a dialogue, we told them to fuck off.

Who is "we"? The MAGA types?

I guarantee you 100% that Kapernick and others had many millions more people sympathetic to, or at least accepting of, their message than if they had run around pushing and swinging their helmets at referees and other NFL officials.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:53

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think it happened in Ferguson more than a few times. Not sure about recently.

It sounded like he was talking about these current protests, and that there have been multiple, so maybe I just misinterpreted. The CNN thing seems to be the act of an idiot (whoever gave the order).

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:53; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:53

Waltz says the size of the crowds make it impossible for them to be from Minnesota. LOL. Like it’s impossible people are fed up.

And why does it matter where they’re from? You’re the epicenter of the problem. YOUR people made this happen by committing murder. I’m sorry people may feel the need to show up and protest your state sponsored racism.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 10:55

Damn it! Only people from Minnesota are allowed to protest our overt racism!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:05

Trump inciting violence again tonight. Ranting about protesters outside the WH last night and says tonight is MAGA night outside the whitehouse. Inviting a clash. And since when has the response to a violation of civil rights become a MAGA rally.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:09

Waltz also saying there are white supremacy group trying to incite chaos and violence. Says tonight will be a more forceful
Response to outsiders causing chaos.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:12

kingstonlake wrote:Pushing this wild theory that it’s an organized crime group or platform. Gonna release data on who the people are that have been arrested. Boy they sure can act swiftly when they want. Make no mistake. Without video that cop would be a free man.

The mayor of St Paul said that every single person arrested last night in their city was from out of state.

I don't think it is all that wild of a theory. It is not unlike a professional dipshit from california being the face of the anti-Whitmer protests. Not sure if it is the case here, but it is well known that a Russian tactic is to sow divide and discontent in other countries, and it has been for 100 years. Whether them, someone else, or if no one is really behind it, this may benefit Trump, as it will get racists more engaged ahead of the election. On the other hand, maybe that's why the Dem governor is pushing this idea of outside influence. But he seems like a pretty stand up guy the way he said yesterday that he takes full responsibility for the CNN arrest and that he failed the media (what kind of crazy talk is that from a head of government?).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I guarantee you 100% that Kapernick and others had many millions more people sympathetic to, or at least accepting of, their message than if they had run around pushing and swinging their helmets at referees and other NFL officials.

We as in white people. Is being sympathetic enough? We can’t do better until we develop a better sense of empathy and collectively own and dismantle systemic racism.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Pushing this wild theory that it’s an organized crime group or platform. Gonna release data on who the people are that have been arrested. Boy they sure can act swiftly when they want. Make no mistake. Without video that cop would be a free man.

The mayor of St Paul said that every single person arrested last night in their city was from out of state.

I don't think it is all that wild of a theory. It is not unlike a professional dipshit from california being the face of the anti-Whitmer protests. Not sure if it is the case here, but it is well known that a Russian tactic is to sow divide and discontent in other countries, and it has been for 100 years. Whether them, someone else, or if no one is really behind it, this may benefit Trump, as it will get racists more engaged ahead of the election. On the other hand, maybe that's why the Dem governor is pushing this idea of outside influence. But he seems like a pretty stand up guy the way he said yesterday that he takes full responsibility for the CNN arrest and that he failed the media (what kind of crazy talk is that from a head of government?).

That is insane. If even some of its true it makes you understand how deeply entrenched foreign influence is rooted in this country. I guess it shouldn't surprise us being that a certain guy has openly accepted and encouraged it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat 30 May 2020 - 11:34

Detroit COP Craig said 75-80% of those arrested last night were not from Detroit.

Not sure if this is white supremacists trying to make things look worse, dumb kids looking for action, white people trying to help or a combo of all of the above, but it's a thing.

[tw]1266598693647638528[/tw]
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 12:19

MiamiSpartan wrote:

A few got sprayed with mace. It’s on Twitter. Pretty clear it is a news reporter and cop gives it to them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 12:23

Crazy shit. I buy into it to.

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1266752322010406912?s=21

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat 30 May 2020 - 12:26

Also either this a cop or someone with an agenda

https://youtu.be/tYCb17RjUTQ

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:12

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

We as in white people. Is being sympathetic enough? We can’t do better until we develop a better sense of empathy and collectively own and dismantle systemic racism.

So white people told Kapernick fuck you? I didn't.
Maybe you did.

Either way, you couldn't have missed the point more if you tried (or perhaps you did try to miss the point). Sympathy, empathy, collectively own, or whatever goal you have for white people, do you seriously think that violent protests are more effective in moving toward that?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:14

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

That is insane. If even some of its true it makes you understand how deeply entrenched foreign influence is rooted in this country. I guess it shouldn't surprise us being that a certain guy has openly accepted and encouraged it.

Or it shouldn't surprise us because it has been going on for 100 years.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:21

Miami FYI that guy that was the face of the anti Whitmer stuff wasn't from CA. That was an internet rumor. Freep or News tracked him down and he was from Mid MI I believe and somewhat of an anarchist, I think he said he didn't vote for Trump even.

Edit - found it. https://www.freep.com/story/news/2020/05/05/michigan-capitol-building-protest-picture/3084192001/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:29

It’s either Pewdiepie’s bro army or QAnon

I’m kind of kidding.

Hopefully more evidence comes out because if this was organized quickly with new Social media accounts it again proves my point that SM and media in general needs a lot of regulation.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Miami FYI that guy that was the face of the anti Whitmer stuff wasn't from CA. That was an internet rumor. Freep or News tracked him down and he was from Mid MI I believe and somewhat of an anarchist, I think he said he didn't vote for Trump even.

Edit - found it. https://www.freep.com/story/news/2020/05/05/michigan-capitol-building-protest-picture/3084192001/

I thought the photo made it clear it wasn’t the same dude.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:40

Hey Cameron, the over under on how many of these guys listen to Rogan is 50%

What’s your bet?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:45

Rocinante wrote:Hey Cameron, the over under on how many of these guys listen to Rogan is 50%

What’s your bet?

These guys being the protestors in general? Or specifically the ones breaking shit?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 30 May 2020 - 13:56

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

So white people told Kapernick fuck you?  I didn't.
Maybe you did.

Either way, you couldn't have missed the point more if you tried (or perhaps you did try to miss the point).  Sympathy, empathy, collectively own, or whatever goal you have for white people, do you seriously think that violent protests are more effective in moving toward that?  

Nah, I didn’t. I think we - the white community in general - needs to spend more time reflecting on our place in society, how we can collectively make society more equitable, and not be so passive about transgressions made by other whites.

Overall, I’m not comfortable telling communities of color how to properly express what is legitimate frustration and anger with a system that will not change. I’m just not gong to make a judgement call. I wasn’t slighting you, but do think the white community as a whole needs to be a lot more reflective about what it means to be white in America, even if that means accepting some kind of collective responsibility. I think when we tell ourselves “well, I’m not like that,” or “I don’t think like that,” and while it’s absolutely true, we’re not pushing ourselves hard enough.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sat 30 May 2020 - 14:46; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 30 May 2020 - 14:16

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Miami FYI that guy that was the face of the anti Whitmer stuff wasn't from CA. That was an internet rumor. Freep or News tracked him down and he was from Mid MI I believe and somewhat of an anarchist, I think he said he didn't vote for Trump even.

Thanks for the clarification. I remember seeing the post about him being from california here, but must have missed seeing the correction anywhere.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sat 30 May 2020 - 14:19

Cameron wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Hey Cameron, the over under on how many of these guys listen to Rogan is 50%

What’s your bet?

These guys being the protestors in general? Or specifically the ones breaking shit?

I’m down the rabbit hole and was specifically taking about the faux protesters who are organizing specifically to stir shit up.

But I don’t need an answer. I’m just being a smartass.

The problem with conspiracies is they’re an answer for people who want simple answers and the reality is always more complicated.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next