Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill

+29
Izzo Court
Toe
Snake Plissken
InTenSity
Rook
Hut1hut2
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
All Your Base
DroppedByADime
dubie7006
Cosmo_Kramer
AvgMSUJoe
MasonGuy
The_Dude
tTito
Rocinante
DWags
Roger Waymeth
AMwood
SpartanMikey
Dendrobates
I.B. Fine
goodbar
Cym Jim
Stan Sitwell
Hip Hop Anonymous
Heat Miser
Ass Dan
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill Empty Pay a Detroit resident's water bill

Post by Ass Dan Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 am

Wanna help the residents of Detroit whose water was shut off? Pay their bill ---> Water bill

Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill Empty The Great Detroit Water Debate

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:15 am

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill 1486952199 I don't necessarily believe in a "right" to water (or the internet, or electricity, or sewage, or trash removal, etc.), but I absolutely believe in helping people who need it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill Empty Re: Pay a Detroit resident's water bill

Post by Hip Hop Anonymous Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:35 am

This Detroit resident would be happy to accept donations for my water bill. Naming rights available! Just imagine a sign in my bathroom stating "This flush made possible by the Guest Legacy Water Fund!"

Also available for sponsorship:
My DTE bill
Comcast bill
Property taxes
Mortgage

Contact me today for this exclusive opportunity!
Hip Hop Anonymous
Hip Hop Anonymous
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill Empty Re: Pay a Detroit resident's water bill

Post by Stan Sitwell Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 am

Ass Dan wrote:Wanna help the residents of Detroit whose water was shut off?  Pay their bill ---> Water bill

I thought you had like $4 to your name?
Stan Sitwell
Stan Sitwell
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

Heat Miser wrote:I don't necessarily believe in a "right" to water

I believe that access to clean water is a basic human right, but America has always struggled with treating black people like humans.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 am

Cym Jim wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:I don't necessarily believe in a "right" to water

I believe that access to clean water is a basic human right, but America has always struggled with treating black people like humans.

Give it a rest already. And BTW, the Detroit River & Lake St. Clair are nearby. Want free water? Find a bucket and start walking. Purifying it & piping it to your house are not "rights".

BTW #2: it says "life, liberty, & the pursuit of hapiness". It doesn't say anything about free water (or healthcare, or electricity, or cable, or PS3, iPhones, etc).

Last edited by Heat Miser on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 am

Cym Jim wrote:

will this initiative just be for the black people of Detroit? I need to know before I take part.  Rolling Eyes
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:51 am

Cym Jim wrote:

Pretty sure access isn't a problem and how racist of you to assume it's only blacks that aren't paying their bills.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 am

goodbar wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

will this initiative just be for the black people of Detroit? I need to know before I take part.  Rolling Eyes

Yes, the Chaldeans, Polish, Asians, and of course whites, are out. Rolling Eyes
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

I.B. Fine wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Pretty sure access isn't a problem and how racist of you to assume it's only blacks that aren't paying their bills.

Good point. It seems Cym Jim is so hell bent on bending over backwards to not be racist, he actually being racist. A tough maneuver to pull off.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

And BTW, the Detroit River & Lake St. Clair are nearby. Want free water? Find a bucket and start walking.
Should they carry the bucket on their heads?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Cym Jim wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

And BTW, the Detroit River & Lake St. Clair are nearby. Want free water? Find a bucket and start walking.
Should they carry the bucket on their heads?

This is America, they can carry it however they want. I'd recommend the shoulder yoke with buckets hanging from both sides, but that's just me.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Someone please enlighten me on this. Paying your water bill has not been a new thing. If you stop paying any other bill, it is taken away. So if you stop paying your water bill, your water should be shut off. Its not like this was just sprung on people. Water is a must I know. But they are also paying other bills. Some have a higher priority than others. That's just life.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Dendrobates wrote:Someone please enlighten me on this. Paying your water bill has not been a new thing. If you stop paying any other bill, it is taken away. So if you stop paying your water bill, your water should be shut off. Its not like this was just sprung on people. Water is a must I know. But they are also paying other bills. Some have a higher priority than others. That's just life.

You sad, unenlightened white person, let Cym Jim explain to you the error of your ways since you want to deprive a whole race of the right to drink water!  lol! 
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 pm

If you can't pay a fucking $40-75 bill, you should perhaps re evaluate your everyday life.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm

SpartanMikey wrote:If you can't pay a fucking $40-75 bill, you should perhaps re evaluate your everyday life.

why do you hate black people so much?
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 pm

goodbar wrote:

why do you hate black people so much?
Don't start that dumb shit with me, man.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

If they get their water bill for free, than I should too and so should everyone else.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Dendrobates wrote:If they get their water bill for free, than I should too and so should everyone else.
You racist piece of trash...
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm

SpartanMikey wrote:
You racist piece of trash...

you sound like a homophobic ass wipe.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Waymeth Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Hip Hop Anonymous wrote:This Detroit resident would be happy to accept donations for my water bill. Naming rights available! Just imagine a sign in my bathroom stating "This flush made possible by the Guest Legacy Water Fund!"

Also available for sponsorship:
My DTE bill
Comcast bill
Property taxes
Mortgage

Contact me today for this exclusive opportunity!

The J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Toilet Bowl
Roger Waymeth
Roger Waymeth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm

SpartanMikey wrote:
Don't start that dumb shit with me, man.

why do you need to bring religion into this?
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm

People need water to live. They don't need phones electricity cable. I don't have an answer for this, but I always feel rage when I see young ones suffer because they've had the misfortune of being born into a family who can't prioritize important things. I don't think water should be free but man, the kids living without it will grow up bitter and not much better then their parents.

You can answer me with "it's their parents fault". It doesn't change the fact they suffer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

AMwood wrote:

you sound like a homophobic ass wipe.
You sound like a cock loving, power bottom.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanMikey Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Your avatar is probably relevant to your everyday interests.
SpartanMikey
SpartanMikey
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm

DWags wrote:People need water to live.  They don't need phones electricity cable.   I don't have an answer for this, but I always feel rage when I see young ones suffer because they've had the misfortune of being born into a family who can't prioritize important things.  I don't think water should be free but man, the kids living without it will grow up bitter and not much better then their parents.  

You can answer me with "it's their parents fault".  It doesn't change the fact they suffer.  

i agree with you bro. but i would like to have proof that the parents aren't paying for iphones or internet access with their water bill money first.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

SpartanMikey wrote:

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill 1966794946 like
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 pm

DWags wrote:People need water to live. They don't need phones electricity cable. I don't have an answer for this, but I always feel rage when I see young ones suffer because they've had the misfortune of being born into a family who can't prioritize important things. I don't think water should be free but man, the kids living without it will grow up bitter and not much better then their parents.

You can answer me with "it's their parents fault". It doesn't change the fact they suffer.

I agree. There isn't a" good" answer either way. People shouldn't suffer like that, but this is not something that came out of the blue. Its about priorities. And maybe they can't have tv/internet at the moment, and water is something to pay first. If the city of Detroit never had a water bill, and started one, then I see the point. But people got lazy got away with it for a while. It isn't an outrageous bill to begin with, so I do feel that most people could find a way.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

AMwood wrote:
SpartanMikey wrote:

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill 1966794946 like

Agreed. A+ Pay a Detroit resident's water bill 1966794946 +100 meaningless points.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Dendrobates wrote:Someone please enlighten me on this. Paying your water bill has not been a new thing. If you stop paying any other bill, it is taken away. So if you stop paying your water bill, your water should be shut off. Its not like this was just sprung on people. Water is a must I know. But they are also paying other bills. Some have a higher priority than others. That's just life.

I think the concerns are more about right-wing officials and for-profit contractors implementing an inhumane austerity agenda to push pro-corporate policies and balance the books of a financially strapped city on the backs of its hardest-hit residents. "I pay my fucking bills, why can't they?" is an easier conversation though, I agree.

Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Cym Jim wrote:

I think the concerns are more about right-wing officials and for-profit contractors implementing an inhumane austerity agenda to push pro-corporate policies and balance the books of a financially strapped city on the backs of its hardest-hit residents. "I pay my fucking bills, why can't they?" is an easier conversation though, I agree.

you must have got shit for brains. there are no right wing officials in the city of detroit.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Can we at least agree that the economic collapse of Detroit has led to the isolation of population away from where jobs are available? This is not to say that there have not been bad individual choices made, but only that there are people who can't work where they live, can't travel somewhere to work, and so are stuck? I think there's more nuance than "just pay your bills".
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

AMwood wrote:

you must have got shit for brains. there are no right wing officials in the city of detroit.

ssshhhh. he's on a roll...
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Cym Jim wrote:

It is easier to say that, that is true. I like the point that someone else made. If their money is all going to food, shelter, clothing....those essentials. And if there is nothing left over, than I would think we should do something about it. But I believe most are spending their money on nonessential. Yes, that is an assumption, but I don't think it's far off.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Rocinante wrote:Can we at least agree that the economic collapse of Detroit has led to the isolation of population away from where jobs are available? This is not to say that there have not been bad individual choices made, but only that there are people who can't work where they live, can't travel somewhere to work, and so are stuck? I think there's more nuance than "just pay your bills".

Agreed. So what's the solution then? Not everyone is in that situation, so then what?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Cym Jim wrote:

How it got that way & who is to blame is a different conversion, but I don't think any major city can remain solvent while giving away services to half its population. Should they just write it all off as bad debt & let everybody start from zero and say "now going forward, we're serious. pay for your water"?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Dendrobates wrote:

Agreed. So what's the solution then? Not everyone is in that situation, so then what?

Well, since fixed incomes are probably a reality for those people, I think the city's approach of making contact with everyone who's getting cut off is a good one. I have heard that they are trying to encourage paying SOMETHING, and using a sliding scale for repayment. That's a start. But bottom line, in such an economically depressed area, there's going to be people who can't pay. Especially now that water prices have doubled. Some of that debt is probably going to have to be forgiven and a "fresh start" under the new system granted. Another option would be some type of water stations in hardest hit areas. That way maybe people can still get access to fresh water, but they have to go get it. Might motivate some people.

God, that sounds archaic, though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

AMwood wrote:

Tell me about it. Quite cunning of Snyder to impose “emergency manager” control on Detroit last year, disempowering local elected officials and putting the governor and his appointees in charge.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Welcome to racism day on the Swill. And by the way, what are the intended uses for this smiley?  afro 
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Cym Jim wrote:

Tell me about it. Quite cunning of Snyder to impose “emergency manager” control on Detroit last year, disempowering local elected officials and putting the governor and his appointees in charge.

i don't wanna get into this with you, man.

Pay a Detroit resident's water bill 20140319-002513

1:28

Last edited by AMwood on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next