Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?

+5
tGreenWay
kingstonlake
Motown Spartan
Cameron
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?  Empty Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?

Post by DWags Sat May 08, 2021 7:08 pm

I was gifted by a Nun a six pack of Sanders fudge maybe two years ago. Maybe longer. Wife asked me to look for a date on them. None.  They’ve been stored in the basement sealed in a jar with the plastic around the lid.  

It has milk and eggs in the ingredients.   Basement is finished but I think the storage room never tops 55.  Maybe it goes a bit over that now and then.  

Throw em?  Or use them for in-laws mother day desert?  First time we’re all getting together in a year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?  Empty Re: Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?

Post by Cameron Sat May 08, 2021 7:21 pm

http://www.eatbydate.com/other/sweets/how-long-does-chocolate-syrup-last/

This says 6-12 months for sealed but not refrigerated.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?  Empty Re: Can sanders fudge toppings go bad after two years?

Post by Motown Spartan Sat May 08, 2021 7:27 pm

Only one way to find out! Besides, they'll probably chalk it up to Covid.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat May 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Wags they use a Julian date code. There’s probably a four digit number on the glass somewhere. Let me know what it is.

Edit. First number is the year (9= 2019 0= 2020 1= 2021) next three digits are the days of the year (124 would be 124th day)

If they’re expired I’ll send you some fresh ones.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat May 08, 2021 8:09 pm

kingstonlake wrote:Wags they use a Julian date code. There’s probably a four digit number on the glass somewhere. Let me know what it is.

Edit. First number is the year (9= 2019 0= 2020 1= 2021) next three digits are the days of the year (124 would be 124th day)

9059. So, I'm not going to use them. Wow, this is amazing. I just learned something I can take with me throughout life. So, this was 2019, March 1st? Does that mean "Best before then"? Does it mean "Use before"? Or does it mean "Packaged on"? and take your chances.?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat May 08, 2021 8:18 pm

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Wags they use a Julian date code. There’s probably a four digit number on the glass somewhere. Let me know what it is.

9059. So, I'm not going to use them. Wow, this is amazing. I just learned something I can take with me throughout life. So, this was 2019, March 1st? Does that mean "Best before then"? Does it mean "Use before"? Or does it mean "Packaged on"? and take your chances.?

That would be the manufacture date and extend a year and a half for expiration. So they expired August 4th 2020. I wouldn’t be scared honestly.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

That would be the manufacture date and extend a year and a half for expiration. So they expired August 4th 2020. I wouldn’t be scared honestly.

It’s really nice of Sander’s to make it so easy for the customer to read the Best By/Use By date. They must really care about their customers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

It’s really nice of Sander’s to make it so easy for the customer to read the Best By/Use By date. They must really care about their customers.

It’s complicated. Pun intended.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Julian finds your attempts at humor droll. Very droll.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Julian finds your attempts at humor droll. Very droll.

That’s Mr Julian to you sir.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 pm

DWags and his expired food.

Do you eat food past the sell by date? (forumotion.com)

Did you die from the hamburger?  

In all likelihood it is "safe."  The expiration date on most packaged foods is not a safety issue.  It is more a matter of whether the quality will decline.  I say eat it - live life on the edge, be a rebel.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun May 09, 2021 8:54 am

It's fine if never opened.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am

DWags wrote:I was gifted by a Nun a six pack of Sanders fudge maybe two years ago. Maybe longer. Wife asked me to look for a date on them. None.  They’ve been stored in the basement sealed in a jar with the plastic around the lid.  

It has milk and eggs in the ingredients.   Basement is finished but I think the storage room never tops 55.  Maybe it goes a bit over that now and then.  

Throw em?  Or use them for in-laws mother day desert?  First time we’re all getting together in a year.

Give it to the in-laws to take home, then in a couple of days you'll have your answer.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sun May 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Saw an article on bread mold the other day. It said by the time you see the mold it's already all the way through whatever you were planning on eating, so don't eat any of it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down