Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grading Michigan State Football

+26
Wally Fairway
Trapper Gus
Cameron
Probably CF
aualum06
Travis of the Cosmos
MSU addict
TrapperGus
Turtleneck
InTenSity
NigelUno
Rocinante
duffy munn
Motown Spartan
DWags
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
The Pantry
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
kingstonlake
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
Heat Miser
tGreenWay
Pervis Muldoon
30 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Grading Michigan State Football - Page 8 Empty Re: Grading Michigan State Football

Post by Trapper Gus Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:40 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:If I heard more bullshit about the dreaded Black Shirt defense I was going to puke.

Nebraska’s defense was ranked 6th once, 7th twice and 9 or below the rest of their time in the conference.
Black Shirt -BS.

Despite the cancer named Mel Tucker, this team was very close to beating Iowa, Minnesota and could have beaten Maryland.

The best thing about this win was to show the prospective coaches the cupboard isn’t completely bare.

Most of the games against teams in MSU's "weight class" have been competitive...

Is there an outside chance that MSU admin punts when they can't get Meyer and goes with Barnett based on improved defense and instructions to rework coaching on offense & special teams?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Grading Michigan State Football - Page 8 Empty Re: Grading Michigan State Football

Post by duffy munn Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:33 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:If I heard more bullshit about the dreaded Black Shirt defense I was going to puke.

Nebraska’s defense was ranked 6th once, 7th twice and 9 or below the rest of their time in the conference.
Black Shirt -BS.

Despite the cancer named Mel Tucker, this team was very close to beating Iowa, Minnesota and could have beaten Maryland.

The best thing about this win was to show the prospective coaches the cupboard isn’t completely bare.

Most of the games against teams in MSU's "weight class" have been competitive...

Is there an outside chance that MSU admin punts when they can't get Meyer and goes with Barnett based on improved defense and instructions to rework coaching on offense & special teams?

I don't think there is any chance we settle for Barnett Trapper. Haller knows this hire will not only define his legacy but more importantly determine whether he remains employed. He has to shoot higher than a 56 year old without the resume for this job. We tried that once.

I do hope the next coach, will a nudge from Haller, keeps Harlan around in some capacity. The job he has done keeping this team together is amazing. As many have pointed out, we could have lost half the roster to the portal the second they were eligible. They stayed, played hard (even when they were getting their brains beat in) and never quit. That's a huge credit to Barnett
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:46 pm

Game nine grade: pass.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Cameron, InTenSity, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:37 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:

Black Shirt -BS.

There's a chance, but I don't think it's a significant one.

I think that if Haller DID decide to go in this direction, there would be some angst in the fanbase, but I also think we could do worse. Barnett hasn't impressed in the win column, but I think 3-9 was roughly where we were going to finish with Tucker. Harlon was thrown into a challenging situation, with a team that Tucker was bitching about before the start of the season, and with a staff that Tucker put together (and has been mediocre at best). Could Barnett be successful if given the chance to build his own culture with his own staff? I think we could make the argument that it's very possible. The W column doesn't reflect it, but I do think the team has improved as the season has progressed. Defense has looked good enough to compete, and Barnett has at least shown willingness to try new things on offense to try and create a spark. Special teams has been bad.

That said, I think Haller knows that the fanbase and donors expect an established HC. With the amount of times Urban Meyer's name has been thrown around, I think it's clear that fans expect a big name. Harlon is a great man and a great Spartan (and I maintain he could be a good coach), but I don't think he checks any of the boxes for this coaching search. I feel for him. Under different circumstances, he could have been a solid option.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:27 pm

How bout an urbz 3 year contract with Bang Stick being ass. head coach. That would be too ideal.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:54 am

Game ten grade: fail.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:33 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:How bout an urbz 3 year contract with Bang Stick being ass. head coach. That would be too ideal.

With Dantonio as a special assistant HC
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:36 am

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

There's a chance, but I don't think it's a significant one.

I think that if Haller DID decide to go in this direction, there would be some angst in the fanbase, but I also think we could do worse. Barnett hasn't impressed in the win column, but I think 3-9 was roughly where we were going to finish with Tucker. Harlon was thrown into a challenging situation, with a team that Tucker was bitching about before the start of the season, and with a staff that Tucker put together (and has been mediocre at best). Could Barnett be successful if given the chance to build his own culture with his own staff? I think we could make the argument that it's very possible. The W column doesn't reflect it, but I do think the team has improved as the season has progressed. Defense has looked good enough to compete, and Barnett has at least shown willingness to try new things on offense to try and create a spark. Special teams has been bad.

That said, I think Haller knows that the fanbase and donors expect an established HC. With the amount of times Urban Meyer's name has been thrown around, I think it's clear that fans expect a big name. Harlon is a great man and a great Spartan (and I maintain he could be a good coach), but I don't think he checks any of the boxes for this coaching search. I feel for him. Under different circumstances, he could have been a solid option.

I can see him being the option if they cannot get a home run type of hire. If they are stuck settling for another Tucker type for instance.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:55 pm

Game eleven grade: pass.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:33 pm

Game twelve grade: fail.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:07 pm

Old news Pervis... sheesh... we have moved on to an entirely new "era" of msu football and this just feels like negativity at this point.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:13 pm

When can I expect an overall season grade?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:When can I expect an overall season grade?

That will be a much more complicated process this season. The overall season grade is based on my extensive possibility/outcome metrics along with a meticulous comparison of measurable achievements with the goals both stated and implied by the leadership, and there were two head coaching regimes this season. It's a daunting task. I'll have it for you by nine.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Travis of the Cosmos, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:51 pm

What's the grade on the hiring of Smith?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:28 pm

Season grade: fail.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:29 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:What's the grade on the hiring of Smith?

Hiring decision grade: incomplete.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:39 am

Pervis Muldoon wrote:Season grade: fail.

You’re tough.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8