Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing?

+8
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Cameron
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
GRR Spartan
TrapperGus
12 posters

Go down

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing? Empty Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing?

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-28, 00:06

So the Republicans passed a tax bill that added trillions to the public debt, yet now refuse to increase the debt to pay for their laws.

What say you, Spartan Will Conservatives?
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing? Empty Re: Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing?

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-09-28, 09:33

Too many individual actions for an open ended question
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing? Empty Re: Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing?

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-28, 09:50

It's not just Republicans....

AOC is basically saying if I don't get everything I want nobody is getting anything they need.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-09-28, 10:18

there used to be a few republicans here but it upset them when they read things they didn't like about their racist christian hero who brags about raping women..

I told them it was gonna be a long 4 years on the board when they lined up behind him with their American flags and bibles. Predictably, they whined, threw temper tantrums and hurried off to their safe space.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-09-28, 10:54

TrapperGus wrote:So the Republicans passed a tax bill that added trillions to the public debt, yet now refuse to increase the debt to pay for their laws.

What say you, Spartan Will Conservatives?

The Pantry will be here in a minute. I think he's in the drive thru at McDonald's.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

GRR Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-09-28, 12:18

kingstonlake wrote:It's not just Republicans....

AOC is basically saying if I don't get everything I want nobody is getting anything they need.

That's a curious reading of the situation.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-09-28, 12:37

Cameron wrote:

That's a curious reading of the situation.

Democrats have never minded cutting their nose off to spite their face. It’s what I love and hate about the party.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-28, 12:45

Yes the Progressive wing and the Conservative wing of the Democratic Party are fighting about "how much" goes into the Reconciliation Bill and when it gets passed.  It seems highly unlikely they will not pass it, though.

Still the Republican Party, which basically passed a tax cut which is increasing the debt by about a trillion dollars a year is refusing to raise the debt limit to cover the tax cut debt they created. (that didn't seem too open ended to me?)
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-09-28, 13:27

TrapperGus wrote:

Yes the Progressive wing and the Conservative wing of the Democratic Party are fighting about "how much" goes into the Reconciliation Bill and when it gets passed.  It seems highly unlikely they will not pass it, though.

Still the Republican Party, which basically passed a tax cut which is increasing the debt by about a trillion dollars a year is refusing to raise the debt limit to cover the tax cut debt they created.  (that didn't seem too open ended to me?)
the Republican party is one of performative politics. They literally have no ideas, no issues, no fundamental belief in helping America. They only have faux outrage and victimization.

they exist to manipulate the low information voter. The only way they will ever be a majority again is via gerrymandering for the congressional seats and voter suppression for Senate seats and the executive office.

They know they don't have to actually support legislation that helps America. They only have to appeal to the lowest common denominator and allow voter suppression to do the rest.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-28, 13:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

Still the Republican Party, which basically passed a tax cut which is increasing the debt by about a trillion dollars a year is refusing to raise the debt limit to cover the tax cut debt they created.  (that didn't seem too open ended to me?)
the Republican party is one of performative politics. They literally have no ideas, no issues, no fundamental belief in helping America. They only have faux outrage and victimization.

they exist to manipulate the low information voter. The only way they will ever be a majority again is via gerrymandering for the congressional seats and voter suppression for Senate seats and the executive office.

They know they don't have to actually support legislation that helps America. They only have to appeal to the lowest common denominator and allow voter suppression to do the rest.

It could be that their only issues they really believe in are lower taxes and less regulation for the Billionaires who pay all their bills, or it could be that those Billionaires want to destroy the current system of government we have, too, along with lower taxes and less regulation?
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-09-28, 13:57

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It could be that their only issues they really believe in are lower taxes and less regulation for the Billionaires who pay all their bills, or it could be that those Billionaires want to destroy the current system of government we have, too, along with lower taxes and less regulation?

You're both right. It's what Republicans want. And to Bob's point the low information voter will interpret lower taxes and less regulation as "freedom"
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Robert J Sakimano and TrapperGus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-09-29, 11:54

kingstonlake wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

You're both right. It's what Republicans want. And to Bob's point the low information voter will interpret lower taxes and less regulation as "freedom"

Well that and "owning the libs"
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-01, 08:43

Joel Benenson, President Obama’s chief pollster, told me that Democrats should feel optimistic about these issues. “If the Republican Party wants to continue to alienate people of color on race and social justice and criminal-justice issues, please keep doing it, because that’s the fastest-growing voting bloc in America. . . . If you want to keep passing laws like Texas did to invade women’s bodies because you think you know better . . . keep it up, because you’re going to alienate the vast majority of the fifty-three per cent of the voting public who are women.” Those issues may end up defining the midterm campaigns, and, eventually, the public approval or disapproval of the President. But addressing them might require reheating politics, rather than cooling it down. And they don’t have much to do with Biden.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-bad-is-bidens-slump
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-10-01, 08:47

TrapperGus wrote:Joel Benenson, President Obama’s chief pollster, told me that Democrats should feel optimistic about these issues. “If the Republican Party wants to continue to alienate people of color on race and social justice and criminal-justice issues, please keep doing it, because that’s the fastest-growing voting bloc in America. . . . If you want to keep passing laws like Texas did to invade women’s bodies because you think you know better . . . keep it up, because you’re going to alienate the vast majority of the fifty-three per cent of the voting public who are women.” Those issues may end up defining the midterm campaigns, and, eventually, the public approval or disapproval of the President. But addressing them might require reheating politics, rather than cooling it down. And they don’t have much to do with Biden.

while I agree that the GOP's totally predictable assault on women and minorities (who are set to become the majority in a decade or so.. thankfully) will rally the left, my concern is that their racist voter suppression laws will outweigh the trend of decent Americans staying engaged and voting.

then there is election integrity and the right's continued disregard for the Constitution.

'22 and '24 will be the most important elections of our democracy. It's probably not going to work out well for decent Americans.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-01, 08:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:Joel Benenson, President Obama’s chief pollster, told me that Democrats should feel optimistic about these issues. “If the Republican Party wants to continue to alienate people of color on race and social justice and criminal-justice issues, please keep doing it, because that’s the fastest-growing voting bloc in America. . . . If you want to keep passing laws like Texas did to invade women’s bodies because you think you know better . . . keep it up, because you’re going to alienate the vast majority of the fifty-three per cent of the voting public who are women.” Those issues may end up defining the midterm campaigns, and, eventually, the public approval or disapproval of the President. But addressing them might require reheating politics, rather than cooling it down. And they don’t have much to do with Biden.

while I agree that the GOP's totally predictable assault on women and minorities (who are set to become the majority in a decade or so.. thankfully) will rally the left, my concern is that their racist voter suppression laws will outweigh the trend of decent Americans staying engaged and voting.

While concerning, vote suppression laws themselves have been shown to motivate the voters they are attempting to suppress.

Of more concern is the Republicans rigging of the election processes, where they can decide which votes are counted.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-10-01, 09:17

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

While concerning, vote suppression laws themselves have been shown to motivate the voters they are attempting to suppress.

Of more concern is the Republicans rigging of the election processes, where they can decide which votes are counted.

Pretty much what happened in Georgia.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-10-01, 09:53

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: while I agree that the GOP's totally predictable assault on women and minorities (who are set to become the majority in a decade or so.. thankfully) will rally the left, my concern is that their racist voter suppression laws will outweigh the trend of decent Americans staying engaged and voting.

yep. Hence..
Bobby Sak wrote:then there is election integrity and the right's continued disregard for the Constitution.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-01, 10:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
TrapperGus wrote:

yep. Hence..
Bobby Sak wrote:then there is election integrity and the right's continued disregard for the Constitution.

The Republicans have a long standing disregard for the Constitution, going at least as far back as the Nixon Administration, however, Congress and the Federal Courts have been complacent in much of this by passing laws which shift the legislative functions in the Constitution into the executive branch, aka the War Powers Acts, or are in opposition to the Bill of Rights, aka the Patriot Act.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-10-04, 08:51

TrapperGus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: yep. Hence..

The Republicans have a long standing disregard for the Constitution, going at least as far back as the Nixon Administration, however, Congress and the Federal Courts have been complacent in much of this by passing laws which shift the legislative functions in the Constitution into the executive branch, aka the War Powers Acts, or are in opposition to the Bill of Rights, aka the Patriot Act.
yep.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-10-06, 17:57

[tw]1445868672711487490[/tw]

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing? 1811933421 jocolor
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-09, 19:24

Floyd Robertson wrote:[tw]1445868672711487490[/tw]

Is There Anyone On This Board Who can Defend What The Republicans are Doing? 1811933421 jocolor  

We will not be calling the senile Senator from Iowa "woke" anytime soon.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-10-11, 20:13

Rant that sort of fits in this thread-

Look, I’m going to preface this by saying that I do know the answer to my question already. Everything is 100% culture wars 100% of the time and there is no culture war not worthy of being fought no matter how stupid it is. So now that we answered the question first jeopardy style, to the rant itself.

Why are there so many conservative folk out there willing to spend Columbus Day every year dying on the Columbus hill? Everyone knows he was a bad guy. Everyone has been told that he was never actually in America itself. Everyone should know that his impression of native people was that they’d make great slaves. Everyone should know that he wasn’t even the first European here, and the Europeans that were here before him were closer to (and may have been in) actual America. Everyone knows that he never even knew he wasn’t in India, and that everything he told Spain to let him do this journey would have ended in disaster if he didn’t find other land first.

So why die on this hill? Why bother defending the indefensible when you could simply not do that? You could just say “hey do I still get the day off with indigenous people day? Yeah? Cool then change it who cares. Also take down his statue because again who cares”

Mostly culture war. Liberals want it so I hate it. Some of it’s probably racism, he lands fully into white man hero who must not be question category. I think also there is a bit of them being told something when they were really little, and unable to grasp that some times everything you were told wasn’t true and when you find out that information you need to change your perception rather than stick your fingers in your ears and dig in your heels harder.

Anyway rant over
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2021-10-11, 23:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Rant that sort of fits in this thread-

Look, I’m going to preface this by saying that I do know the answer to my question already. Everything is 100% culture wars 100% of the time and there is no culture war not worthy of being fought no matter how stupid it is. So now that we answered the question first jeopardy style, to the rant itself.

Why are there so many conservative folk out there willing to spend Columbus Day every year dying on the Columbus hill? Everyone knows he was a bad guy. Everyone has been told that he was never actually in America itself. Everyone should know that his impression of native people was that they’d make great slaves. Everyone should know that he wasn’t even the first European here, and the Europeans that were here before him were closer to (and may have been in) actual America. Everyone knows that he never even knew he wasn’t in India, and that everything he told Spain to let him do this journey would have ended in disaster if he didn’t find other land first.

So why die on this hill? Why bother defending the indefensible when you could simply not do that? You could just say “hey do I still get the day off with indigenous people day? Yeah? Cool then change it who cares. Also take down his statue because again who cares”

Mostly culture war. Liberals want it so I hate it. Some of it’s probably racism, he lands fully into white man hero who must not be question category. I think also there is a bit of them being told something when they were really little, and unable to grasp that some times everything you were told wasn’t true and when you find out that information you need to change your perception rather than stick your fingers in your ears and dig in your heels harder.

Anyway rant over

We were taught that he was a hero. Elementary school classes all over the country had kids making pictures of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria with construction paper and paste. We all heard about Ferdinand and Isabella being swayed by the daring explorer. We all learned that it was a perilous voyage in search of a new route to India because Christopher Columbus was so brilliant he knew the world was round when nearly everyone else thought it was flat - and he was willing to bet his life on it.

That's what we knew, and we never thought about it at all until years later when we were grown up and people said Columbus wasn't such a great guy. Fuck that. Next things you're going to tell me are that Bill Cosby isn't really Cliff Huxtable, and Lance Armstrong isn't the most inspirational athlete ever.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-10-11, 23:46

Jesus, this thread could be the entire political landscape for the last 6+ years.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-12, 07:36

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Jesus, this thread could be the entire political landscape for the last 6+ years.

Many political threads are like that, however, this started back in 1968 with Nixon's campaign against the anti war people and his "law and order"

This country has always failed to live up to the creed we were taught when we were children.
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-10-12, 09:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Jesus, this thread could be the entire political landscape for the last 6+ years.

What am I missing? Seems pretty reasonable.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-19, 19:38

steveschneider wrote:

If you think what is going on with the Republician Party is reasonable there is nothing much to say ...
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-10-20, 09:58

TrapperGus wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

If you think what is going on with the Republician Party is reasonable there is nothing much to say ...

I don't, very concerned about them. Maybe I misunderstood Avg Joes post but all the posts seem pretty reasonable.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TrapperGus 2021-10-20, 11:01

Maybe I didn't understand his post
TrapperGus
TrapperGus
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down