Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

+45
TrapperGus
Dendrobates
Motown Spartan
MattyFresh
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
Banks2Mason
NigelUno
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
tGreenWay
aualum06
Townie
Cameron
AvgMSUJoe
SPARTASOTAN
Three_Putt_Par
Code_Warrior
Rocinante
cardinal fang
WBill
Mentalstate
Chief Sparty
Duke Silver
Heat Miser
Jethro Bodeen
dubie7006
Munn Field
Wally Fairway
By-Tor
DWags
The Pantry
InTenSity
Turtleneck
TrueGreenSpartan
Blanch32
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
49 posters

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by duffy munn 2022-07-26, 09:55

InTenSity wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220717
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220718

What lake is that Inten?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates likes this post

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by InTenSity 2022-07-26, 10:09

duffy munn wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220717
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220718

What lake is that Inten?
Torch Lake, about 1/2 mile north of Dockside.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-07-26, 10:10

A floating head just before dusk. I'd watch yourself.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-07-26, 10:29

(94)

Nice. Antrim county is awesome and Torch is the among the prettiest lakes on the planet.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-07-26, 10:43

duffy munn wrote:
(94)

Nice. Antrim county is awesome and Torch is the among the prettiest lakes on the planet.
we have friends with a shack on Torch Lake.. I've never been (obviously), but our daughter used to go spend time with them back when she was a kid (meaning through high school).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-07-26, 10:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

we have friends with a shack on Torch Lake.. I've never been (obviously), but our daughter used to go spend time with them back when she was a kid (meaning through high school).

I think you would hate the colder weather, mountain biking that can be done and teh hiking and running trails. jocolor

I'll be here through next week if you want to come have a beer at Shorts!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-07-26, 12:04

InTenSity wrote:
I think you would hate the colder weather, mountain biking that can be done and teh hiking and running trails. jocolor
 Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 502811600 - I can do that here and not have to put up with 'people'.  

I'm glad you're having fun - kids are livin' it up, I'm sure.

I'll be here through next week if you want to come have a beer at Shorts!
thanks, man - I'll check to see when my khakis will be ready at the cleaners... get the SUV polished up. Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-07-26, 12:22

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

What lake is that Inten?
Torch Lake, about 1/2 mile north of Dockside.

Great spot. We have a VRBO booked for the 3rd week in August. Can't wait. Owning a place on Torch is a bucket list item.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-26, 16:01

A question for those of you familiar with Torch Lake: Just how often are there parties on that sandbar? As I’ve mentioned, we’re beginning to look for a cottage and I know Torch is widely considered one of the most beautiful lakes, but if every weekend is going to be version of Turtleneck’s juggalo parties, I’m less interested. Any thoughts are appreciated, except Turtleneck, who I assume is packing his Faygo for next week’s Gathering.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-07-26, 16:46

tGreenWay wrote:A question for those of you familiar with Torch Lake: Just how often are there parties on that sandbar? As I’ve mentioned, we’re beginning to look for a cottage and I know Torch is widely considered one of the most beautiful lakes, but if every weekend is going to be version of Turtleneck’s juggalo parties, I’m less interested. Any thoughts are appreciated, except Turtleneck, who I assume is packing his Faygo for next week’s Gathering.
Just stay away from teh south end of the lake. Its 27 miles long, so be a few miles north and you won't even know if there is a party. I think the big one is 4th of July, other weekends might be busy, but I don't know how bad it is. I think a few years ago it was getting pretty busy and they started cracking down on the parties.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-26, 17:18

Thanks, InTen. I didn’t realize it was that long. That’s what she said.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-07-26, 18:05

If you need an up north cottage I have a nice and cool place where you can beat the heat. It’s dark, a little damp, but greatly secluded for you. You’ll love it. As everyone knows, up north starts north of 69, so this place definitely qualifies.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-26, 18:22

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:If you need an up north cottage I have a nice and cool place where you can beat the heat. It’s dark, a little damp, but greatly secluded for you. You’ll love it. As everyone knows, up north starts north of 69, so this place definitely qualifies.

How’s the fishing, Travis? Is your spot good fishing? Is it even big enough for a bass boat?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-07-26, 21:29

tGreenWay wrote:Thanks, InTen. I didn’t realize it was that long. That’s what she said.

What Inten said. South sandbar is where the party area is. But that will only be crazy on th3 4th of July. And it is contained toward the mouth of the river inlet and easy to avoid. The rest of the south sandbar won't be that busy.

The southend will have smaller cottages that are close together. We stayed about a mile to the west of the party area for the 4th one year and were far enough away from the shenanigans.

As soon as you start heading north along the east or west side, the bigger the houses and the less people you will see. The west side (and south) is where a majority of the rentals will be. The east side has more restrictions. We've stayed north of Dockside (waterfront restaurant) a few times and you barely see a soul on the lake. Miles and miles of blue water, sometimes all to yourself.

Best swimming and boatng lake in Michigan. All sand.

Last edited by Nordic on 2022-07-26, 22:02; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-07-26, 21:55

Michigan has a much different Torch Lake that is actually...Up North

Of all the Areas of Concern in the Upper Peninsula, it is the Keweenaw's Torch Lake that has suffered the most at the hands of industry and mining.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-07-26, 22:33

The Pantry wrote:Michigan has a much different Torch Lake that is actually...Up North

Of all the Areas of Concern in the Upper Peninsula, it is the Keweenaw's Torch Lake that has suffered the most at the hands of industry and mining.

More like Torched Lake
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-07-26, 22:54

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Michigan has a much different Torch Lake that is actually...Up North

More like Torched Lake
Watched lake freighters plying Portage Lake from our cottage to get to Torch for pickups before the mining strike and shutdown when a young kid. Kind of surreal memories now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-07-27, 07:47

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:A question for those of you familiar with Torch Lake: Just how often are there parties on that sandbar? As I’ve mentioned, we’re beginning to look for a cottage and I know Torch is widely considered one of the most beautiful lakes, but if every weekend is going to be version of Turtleneck’s juggalo parties, I’m less interested. Any thoughts are appreciated, except Turtleneck, who I assume is packing his Faygo for next week’s Gathering.
Just stay away from teh south end of the lake. Its 27 miles long, so be a few miles north and you won't even know if there is a party. I think the big one is 4th of July, other weekends might be busy, but I don't know how bad it is. I think a few years ago it was getting pretty busy and they started cracking down on the parties.
And Shorts brewing pub is right there if you like the Soft Parade...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-07-27, 10:16

The situation around the mining areas, especially the copper mining, which are some of the most polluted places in the country, and the lack of action by the EPA & Federal Government, pisses me off to no end.

Now the mining lands have been sold off to hedge funds of some sort who are selling them off to private wealthy owners for their own HMC style retreats without anyone in the ownership chain being responsible for all the damage the Calumet Mining Company did.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 901027492
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-07-27, 11:23

Os the water tower in DeWitt 'Up North'?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-07-27, 11:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Os the water tower in DeWitt 'Up North'?

Without a doubt
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-07-27, 13:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Os the water tower in DeWitt 'Up North'?

Without a doubt

Do you mean to tell me I've been living "Up North" for the past 30 years and didn't even know it? WTF?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-07-27, 16:06

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Without a doubt

Do you mean to tell me I've been living "Up North" for the past 30 years and didn't even know it? WTF?
"Up North" is a state of mind.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-07-27, 18:45

Trapper Gus wrote:

The situation around the mining areas, especially the copper mining, which are some of the most polluted places in the country, and the lack of action by the EPA & Federal Government, pisses me off to no end.

Now the mining lands have been sold off to hedge funds of some sort who are selling them off to private wealthy owners for their own HMC style retreats without anyone in the ownership chain being responsible for all the damage the Calumet Mining Company did.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 901027492
Remember seeing pics of some mutant-looking fish pulled out of Torch Lake years back.

Company was actually called Calumet and Hecla Mining.

Family went to the Keweenaw to visit my grandparents summer '66.  First full day there, we drove to the site to pay respects to Ruth Ann Miller.  Was very poignant to me.  She was right around my age.  Will never forget.

National Park Service--Calumet Unit
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-08-04, 21:40

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220811
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220810
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220812
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn, gomersbro and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-08-04, 22:22

What course were you playing Inten?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-08-04, 22:49

duffy munn wrote:What course were you playing Inten?
Today was Hawkseye. I shot a 45 on the back,  which for me is great.  4 pars I think.  Tomorrow is cedar river.  I've played everything around here for the most part.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-08-05, 00:08

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220815
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220813
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 20220814
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, Travis of the Cosmos, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe, Jake from State Farm and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-12, 12:49

daughter is heading to the magical land of "Up North" today.. I think she's going hiking and camping, though I'm not sure.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-12, 12:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:daughter is heading to the magical land of "Up North" today.. I think she's going hiking and camping, though I'm not sure.

She is secretly golfing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, InTenSity, tGreenWay and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-12, 13:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:hiking and camping

Sounds like a fascist brainwashing scheme... I'd send her to some counselling upon return.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-12, 15:01

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 502811600

I texted her.. they're on their way to "Au Sable"... Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-12, 15:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 502811600

I texted her.. they're on their way to "Au Sable"....Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 2599972566

I understand your concern.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgrayling-mi.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fausable-river-footer

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F9JQ0Drd

Looks pretty evil to me.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-12, 15:18

And this is all fox news level propaganda...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-08-12, 15:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 502811600

I texted her.. they're on their way to "Au Sable"....Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 2599972566

Something something mio ausable
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-12, 15:37

aualum06 wrote:

She's visiting GUEST!!!

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 Visiti10
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-08-12, 17:45

Worlds collide!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-12, 21:20

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgrayling-mi.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fausable-river-footer

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F9JQ0Drd

Looks pretty evil to me.
I don't know man. I just know I have to help her move next week.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-08-12, 21:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Looks pretty evil to me.
I don't know man. I just know I have to help her move next week.
I hope it's Grayling instead of Mio.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-13, 09:50

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

She's visiting GUEST!!!

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 Visiti10
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  - Page 19 502811600

smoking cigarettes and bible study.. right up her alley.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next