Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues

+12
Spartytruth
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
CaptainSlow33
Turtleneck
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
MSU addict
NigelUno
AvgMSUJoe
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues Empty Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues

Post by tGreenWay Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:14

Helluva story by the SNews. Seems like the Chair is out of control and making MSU her own fiefdom.
https://statenews.com/article/2023/10/msu-trustee-calls-for-board-chair-rema-vassars-removal-over-harmful-consequences-of-her-bullying-plotting
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues Empty Re: Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:18

How can we start a petition to make our board a non political position?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues Empty Re: Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues

Post by tGreenWay Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:22

AvgMSUJoe wrote:How can we start a petition to make our board a non political position?

It will always be political, including if it becomes an appointed position by the sitting governor. I’d love to see the length of term reduced to 4 years. Hell, I’d take 6 at this point. Eight years for one term is too long.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:26

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:How can we start a petition to make our board a non political position?

It will always be political, including if it becomes an appointed position by the sitting governor. I’d love to see the length of term reduced to 4 years. Hell, I’d take 6 at this point. Eight years for one term is too long.
Right, but these idiots are on the level of the state reps from the thumb. At least a political appointee would have some sort of qualification... and you never hear about the same drama from the state schools that do have appointed boards.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 20:27

The BoT at MSU is like a poorly run HOA.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and GRR Spartan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:09

The selection of the board of trustees for MSU, U of M and WSU are enshrined in the Michigan constitution.

STATE CONSTITUTION (EXCERPT) CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963

The state's constitution can be amended by a majority vote of the people at a state general election - but it is very difficult to get on the ballot. Your petition would need 446,198 valid signatures of registered voters collected within 180 days.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:13

Trustee Brianna Scott calls for the removal of BoT Chair Rema Vassar; claims abuse of position and bullying of colleagues 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:29

MSU addict wrote:
The selection of the board of trustees for MSU, U of M and WSU are enshrined in the Michigan constitution.

STATE CONSTITUTION (EXCERPT) CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963

The state's constitution can be amended by a majority vote of the people at a state general election - but it is very difficult to get on the ballot. Your petition would need 446,198 valid signatures of registered voters collected within 180 days.
Well there's a half million alumni right?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 21:48

A number of posters here including myself learned  BOT Chair Rema  Vassar PhD loves to hear herself speak when the BOT started showing fissures when the former Dean of the Business School thought now reigned BOT member Pat O’Keefe would protect him.

Vassar’s “Leadership” helped push President Stanley towards the door.

I like the optics of Brianna Scott initiating the move.  Don’t think anyone else could say anything without Vassar playing every card in the deck pointing with all her fingers.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 9:14; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 22:43

MSU is in total disarray. Dysfunction everywhere. This means they hire Dan Enos.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 23:03

I wouldn’t be opposed to 6 year elected terms with a 2 term limit. That means BOT members would typically serve at least 2 governors.

What’s happening in FL and TX universities is why I think leaving it up to gubernatorial appointments could gut research universities.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Sun 22 Oct 2023 - 23:32

Voters and political parties have no business selecting our trustees. Yes, allowing the governor to appoint trustees opens the possibility that it becomes a partisan body, but I’d rather appointees be screened, vetted, and approved by the state legislature. MSU’s problems aren’t going anywhere with this clown car running the show.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

tGreenWay, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 9:47

The current BOT mess is directly related to Larry Nassar and his boss, then Dean of the Osteopathic School of Medicine.

Voters were rightfully angry on how MSU’s administration, staff and some coaches had willfully ignored complaints about both individuals for years that allowed both to continue to verbally (Strample) and physically (Nassar) MSU students for years.

8 year terms can bite votes and governors in the ass. The BOT elected Vassar as chair. If you believe reports, Vassar has abused her position from the get go.

I think Vassar is her biggest fan and has never understood that being the Chair of the BOT is being a spokesperson for the BOT and have responsibility for running meetings, agenda order, etc.

Vassar thinks she can act independently in too damned many situations. For whatever reasons she thinks it’s up to her to make statements about legally and possibly financially sensitive issues without consulting the BOT. It’s troubling that Vassar won’t handover her phone in MSU’s own investigation about the Tracey / Tucker leaks.

But political moves are at work. Dennis Denno, another trustee with connections to Governor Whitmer has come out in support to Vassar.

https://statenews.com/article/2023/10/msu-trustee-denno-supports-board-chair-vassar-amid-calls-for-her-resignation?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:01

CaptainSlow33 wrote:Voters and political parties have no business selecting our trustees. Yes, allowing the governor to appoint trustees opens the possibility that it becomes a partisan body, but I’d rather appointees be screened, vetted, and approved by the state legislature. MSU’s problems aren’t going anywhere with this clown car running the show.
this is true.

I mean, let's face it.. every time I vote, if there is an election for the UM Board of Regents or whatever they call it on the ballot, I vote for the republican.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:Voters and political parties have no business selecting our trustees. Yes, allowing the governor to appoint trustees opens the possibility that it becomes a partisan body, but I’d rather appointees be screened, vetted, and approved by the state legislature. MSU’s problems aren’t going anywhere with this clown car running the show.
this is true.

I mean, let's face it.. every time I vote, if there is an election for the UM Board of Regents or whatever they call it on the ballot, I vote for the republican.

Bob, you should join me and vote for the green party candidates for u of m board or regents.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
this is true.

And you can bet that they are voting for the candidates they think will torpedo us the hardest.

But like, who can honestly say they have researched the candidates for Wayne State's board (also on the ballot)? These positions are really important to the health of major research institutions in the state - it should really be appointed by a panel of educators, not partisan donors.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 10:49

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
this is true.

And you can bet that they are voting for the candidates they think will torpedo us the hardest.

But like, who can honestly say they have researched the candidates for Wayne State's board (also on the ballot)? These positions are really important to the health of major research institutions in the state - it should really be appointed by a panel of educators, not partisan donors.
definitely should not be left up to idiots like me.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 13:13

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
this is true.

Michigan is one of the few states that allow straight ticket voting (check one box and vote for all candidates on the ballot from that party). Typically, over half of ballots in Michigan are cast this way.

Like anything, there are both advantages and disadvantages to straight ticket voting, but the reality is for votes like college boards - straight ticket voting controls who wins. Many people who do not vote straight ticket simply skip the races they have little interest in or knowledge of. It also means any independent or third party candidate has no chance of winning.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 15:32

When even Joel Ferguson calls you disruptive and destructive, your time as Chair and possibly the BoT may be running out.

From a follow-up SNews article:

Joel Ferguson, a Democrat who served on the board for 32 years until he stepped down in 2020, also called for Vassar's resignation.

"I respect that Dr. Vassar is the first Black woman to chair the MSU Board of Trustees, but her inappropriate leadership is disruptive and destructive to MSU," Ferguson, the first Black man to chair the board, said in the statement released Monday.

Full story:

https://statenews.com/article/2023/10/former-msu-board-of-trustees-react-to-call-for-vassars-resignation?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, GRR Spartan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 23 Oct 2023 - 19:36

Rather than whining about changing the MI Constitution, I sent emails to BOT members Scott and Byram supporting their efforts to force Vassar to resign.

Also sent an email to Trustee Denno expressing my regret for voting for him insight of the fact he's supporting the most self-serving disruptive BOT Chair we have ever experience.

Joel Ferguson looks like a walk in the park on a sunny day compared to the ‘effups Vassar has presided over since elected chair.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 8:50; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 2:15

Board Chair Rema Vassar responds to Trustee Scott’s allegations:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/10/23/msu-board-chair-calls-claims-against-her-in-call-for-removal-fabrications-misstatements/71296807007/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 2:31

Trustee Scott’s allegations have triggered an investigation, which got underway Monday.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/23/michigan-state-university-board-of-trustees-turmoil-scandal-rema-vassar-brianna-scott/71288587007/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 7:38

tGreenWay wrote:Board Chair Rema Vassar responds to Trustee Scott’s allegations:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/10/23/msu-board-chair-calls-claims-against-her-in-call-for-removal-fabrications-misstatements/71296807007/

She couldn't directly play the race/sexism card because Scott is also a black woman, but she still tried.

And as the first African American woman ever elected to chair this Board, it is very disappointing that instead of showing unity and a steady hand during a tough time for our university, three members of our MSU Board of Trustees are more focused on undermining me instead of working together to do the job we were elected or appointed to do.

Makes me inclined to think there's merit to the accusations.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 9:02

tGreenWay wrote:Helluva story by the SNews. Seems like the Chair is out of control and making MSU her own fiefdom.
https://statenews.com/article/2023/10/msu-trustee-calls-for-board-chair-rema-vassars-removal-over-harmful-consequences-of-her-bullying-plotting

She should be removed for wearing those glasses. How can you take someone seriously when they do that?
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartytruth Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 9:06

In her letter, Scott included a photo of Vassar sitting courtside with then-MSU football coach Mel Tucker.

cheap shot.

Although it appears that she developed a relationship with Mel - any chance she leaked the info?

Finally, it would be real helpful if - when playing the race card - that the play include a little evidence to support race as a factor. Frankly, it loses quite a bit of effectiveness as a response to unethical behavior like flying on donor's private jets and sitting courtside with Mel Tucker.
Spartytruth
Spartytruth
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 10:12

Hasn’t lost enough effectiveness to get Gov Whitmer’s attention.

Nearly every member of the BOT past and present will show up at events and be seen with MSU coaches. It’s good PR and most know that success in football and basketball also increase academic donations.

I have a hunch there are things Vassar doesn’t want made public and that’s put her in the ackward position of calling for meaningful investigations of others while refusing to cooperate with MSU where she ends up being part of investigations.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 10:42

GRR Spartan wrote:The current BOT mess is directly related to Larry Nassar and his boss, then Dean of the Osteopathic School of Medicine.

Voters were rightfully angry on how MSU’s administration, staff and some coaches had willfully ignored complaints about both individuals for years that allowed both to continue to verbally (Strample) and physically (Nassar) MSU students for years.

8 year terms can bite votes and governors in the ass. The BOT elected Vassar as chair. If you believe reports, Vassar has abused her position from the get go.

I think Vassar is her biggest fan and has never understood that being the Chair of the BOT is being a spokesperson for the BOT and have responsibility for running meetings, agenda order, etc.

Vassar thinks she can act independently in too damned many situations. For whatever reasons she thinks it’s up to her to make statements about legally and possibly financially sensitive issues without consulting the BOT. It’s troubling that Vassar won’t handover her phone in MSU’s own investigation about the Tracey / Tucker leaks.

But political moves are at work. Dennis Denno, another trustee with connections to Governor Whitmer has come out in support to Vassar.

https://statenews.com/article/2023/10/msu-trustee-denno-supports-board-chair-vassar-amid-calls-for-her-resignation?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_latest

Agree with most of this, except for the administration ignoring it.

Until the FBI was sued it was more a cultural thin in the gymnastics world, meaning everywhere on the globe, not just at MSU, and it didn't go up the "chain of command" at MSU to reach the administration at all. The gymnastic coaches at MSU, and everywhere else on the globe, suppressed it. The rest of the globe, once MSU's lawsuits were the big story, was very happy to let people pile on while the real enablers, the US (and global) Gymnastics administration skated under the PR radar.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 10:48

MSU addict wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

Michigan is one of the few states that allow straight ticket voting (check one box and vote for all candidates on the ballot from that party).  Typically, over half of ballots in Michigan are cast this way.

Like anything, there are both advantages and disadvantages to straight ticket voting, but the reality is for votes like college boards - straight ticket voting controls who wins.  Many people who do not vote straight ticket simply skip the races they have little interest in or knowledge of.  It also means any independent or third party candidate has no chance of winning.  

Just of point this out, the Michigan voters passed a Constitutional amendment on straight ticket voting, overwhelmingly.  This bit is not a political issue as all the voters like it.  Given the pretty even split between people who vote for one party verses the other party, and are voting straight ticket, there is an argument that the people voting who really care about who is on tBoT, and are not voting straight ticket so they can vote for tBoT members of their choice, are the ones electing it.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 13:35; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 13:14

Debbie Stabenow calls for Vassar to resign.

Usually not a good sign when a highly respected United States Senator calls for your resignation. Debbie isn't exactly known as a bomb-thrower, either, who runs her mouth about things she knows nothing about, like a lot of them. This kinda speaks volumes, for me, at least.

Stabenow calls for MSU board chair Rema Vassar to resign

State Journal headline.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 13:40

So MSU has a football coach problem, a University President problem & a BoT chairperson problem.

Crap!
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 14:43

[tw]1716875853534277661?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Last edited by DWags on Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 14:44; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 14:43

Nm
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 15:20

Trapper Gus wrote:So MSU has a football coach problem, a University President problem & a BoT chairperson problem.

Crap!
Well to be fair a good bot chair would not have the other problems, sooo... maybe just one problem?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 17:59

DWags wrote:[tw]1716875853534277661?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Hadn’t thought of that. Not a bad move for the Dems as far as Slotkin moving into the position as an incumbent. Stabenow as MSU president gives me serious pause, though.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 18:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Debbie Stabenow calls for Vassar to resign.

Usually not a good sign when a highly respected United States Senator calls for your resignation. Debbie isn't exactly known as a bomb-thrower, either, who runs her mouth about things she knows nothing about, like a lot of them. This kinda speaks volumes, for me, at least.

Stabenow calls for MSU board chair Rema Vassar to resign

State Journal headline.

Former governor Blanchard has done the same…

Blanchard, a former two-term Democratic governor, accused Vassar of treating MSU "like it’s her own private club."

"Her day-to-day meddling in the management of the university makes responsible governance more difficult than it needs to be," Blanchard said in a statement. "The taxpayers and our Spartan nation deserve better."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/24/debbie-stabenow-calls-on-michigan-state-university-board-chair-rema-vassar-to-resign/71301493007/
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 18:39

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:[tw]1716875853534277661?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Hadn’t thought of that. Not a bad move for the Dems as far as Slotkin moving into the position as an incumbent. Stabenow as MSU president gives me serious pause, though.
Nope. She's pretty good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 19:27

Trapper Gus wrote:So MSU has a football coach problem, a University President problem & a BoT chairperson problem.

Crap!
for most of the last 50 years Trapper
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 19:48

Funny thing.  

When I read the Senator Stabenow was calling for Vassar's resignation in the LSJ,
I told my wife it would be a very cynical, Machiavellian move for Stabenow to resign from the US Senate, Governor Whitmer appoints Slotkin to serve out the last year of Stabenow's term and Stabenow is appointed to serve out Vassar's term that ends Jan1 2029.

Don't know if MI Democrats are ready to play 3D chess.

Little Johnny Truscott, John Engler's hand picked protege who was supposed to have a district drawn specifically for him to run for state rep ages ago is still a party operative but he never did run for any election. He’s been a lobbyist and political advisor for 22 years. He’s the poster child for MI GOP political insiders.

If Truscott is floating this possibility, I suspect he’s calculated making Representative Slotkin a 1 year US Senator would cause problems for anyone planning on running in the ‘24 Primary which would spill over to an advantage to the GOP nominee.

The fact Truscott

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Wed 25 Oct 2023 - 11:37; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 19:51

duffy munn wrote:

Crap!
for most of the last 50 years Trapper

Othor than Joel don't remember tBoT being an issue...

Various Presidents have been less that supportive of football, but other than that haven't seen the mess we have now...

Yes, football has been an issue ever since Bo & Woody teamed up to fuck MSU
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 24 Oct 2023 - 20:24

Trapper Gus wrote:
duffy munn wrote:for most of the last 50 years Trapper

Othor than Joel don't remember tBoT being an issue...

Various Presidents have been less that supportive of football, but other than that haven't seen the mess we have now...

Yes, football has been an issue ever since Bo & Woody teamed up to fuck MSU

You serious, Clark? The BoTs have been the Bickersons on and off since I started paying attention to local news decades ago. Just because you weren’t paying attention doesn’t make it so.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next