Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko?

+17
MiamiSpartan
Rick Saunders
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
Jake from State Farm
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
Nordic
Cameron
steveschneider
Turtleneck
Zurn
MSU addict
Other Teams Pursuing That
Pervis Muldoon
Motown Spartan
NigelUno
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko?

Post by MSU addict 2023-12-29, 16:00

Kelce's stats this year are similar to his previous years - including last year.

Mahomes is the one who's play has dropped of - so unless something is going on in secret that we do not know about, Taylor Swift is not the problem.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-29, 16:11

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

What this tread is about is pretty close to "because they are woman."

Do you really think there would be all this noise if one of the players was good friends a very famous man who was coming to the games?

Haley has awful views of how the country should be run, but all Republicans do.  (You do know my favs were Senator Warren in 2020 & Secretary Clinton in 2016 & 2008)

If Caitlin Clark was dating Donald Trump and he came to her games, I think that would impact her teammates.
can you imagine how bad that drug addicted bloated sack of disgusting putrid christian filth smells?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-29, 16:12

Motown Spartan wrote:Her talent knows no bounds.

If you are able to read The New Yorker article, I linked, you will discover that the artlessness, meaning the lack of polish, of her art is part of her artistic point.

She is from a very wealthy family, had tons of money in the family before she met John, and is a well-trained artist in visual, performance & musical art.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-12-29, 17:02; edited 2 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-12-29, 16:41

I read Tay is on the treadmill 3 hours a day.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-12-29, 16:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I bought 2 t swift tickets in indy for $600 and then sold them for $7200

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5hctp0kst5941z1d0wsbfzx5tdnyhnjd5ar8btycd&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-29, 16:48

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I read Tay is on the treadmill 3 hours a day.

To do performances like she does I'm not surprised
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-12-29, 21:07

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I read Tay is on the treadmill 3 hours a day.
she's a great American.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-29, 21:46

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Her talent knows no bounds.

If you are able to read The New Yorker article, I linked, you will discover that the artlessness, meaning the lack of polish, of her art is part of her artistic point.

She is from a very wealthy family, had tons of money in the family before she met John, and is a well-trained artist in visual, performance & musical art.

How do you become well-trained in performance art?

Just scream a lot?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-29, 22:42

Her lack of polish is her art? So sucking is her art? Thats just fucking lazy and made up and nobody would know her if not for John Lennon.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-29, 22:52

It’s not Taylor Swift. From someone who has witnessed the packers win a Super Bowl and decline three times. Shit happens. Your team drops down a notch but still makes playoffs. Teammates get tired of each other. Locke room is not as cohesive, you win, because you have talent, but you lose because it’s not as important.

Lions, you won’t win a SB this year, but you will in the next two maybe three years. Then, the slide happens. You don’t go from great to shit, but you go from great to, “why can’t these fuckers win an important game”.

Enjoy the next 4-5 years. The “window” is real, and it’s rare that a team enjoys it longer than half a decade. Very rare.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2023-12-30, 08:52

NigelUno wrote:

Kelce and Swifty are dating though.  

Are they? All you ever see of them together is Swift in a box at the stadium.

Seems like a PR stunt. Suddenly Kelce is in every insurance commercial, Swift is probably getting a cut of those fees. Swifts US tour is done, she needs to keep in the spotlight.

Chances of them being "together" after the Chiefs are out of the playoffs?

Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-30, 09:49

Motown Spartan wrote:Her lack of polish is her art? So sucking is her art? Thats just fucking lazy and made up and nobody would know her if not for John Lennon.

The Ono family was wealthy. They had some thirty servants, and they lived in the Azabu district, near the Imperial Palace, away from the bombing. The fires did not reach them. But Ono’s mother, worried that there would be more attacks (there were), decided to evacuate to a farming village well outside the city.

In the countryside, the family found itself in a situation faced by many Japanese: they were desperate for food. The children traded their possessions to get something to eat, and sometimes they went hungry. Ono later said that she and Keisuke would lie on their backs looking at the sky through an opening in the roof of the house where they lived. She would ask him what kind of dinner he wanted, and then tell him to imagine it in his mind. This seemed to make him happier. She later called it “maybe my first piece of art.”

Like any artist, Ono wanted recognition, but she was never driven by a desire for wealth and fame. Whether she sought them or not, though, she has both. Her art is exhibited around the world: last year at the Serpentine, in London (“Yoko Ono: I Love You Earth”); this year at the Vancouver Art Gallery (“Growing Freedom”) and the Kunsthaus in Zurich (“Yoko Ono: This Room Moves at the Same Speed as the Clouds”). She began managing the family finances after she and her husband John Lennon moved to New York, in 1971, and she is said to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars today.

There is no question that museums and galleries mount these shows and people go to see them because Ono was once married to a Beatle. On a weekday not long ago, I saw the Vancouver show, which occupied the whole ground floor of the museum, and there was a steady stream of visitors. None of the artists and composers Ono was associated with in the years before she married Lennon enjoys that kind of exposure today.

Ono may have leveraged her celebrity—but so what? She never compromised her art. The public perception of her as a woman devoted to the memory of her dead husband has made her an icon among the kind of people who once regarded her as a Beatles-busting succubus. Yet the much smaller group of people who know about her as an artist, a musician, and an activist appreciate her integrity. No matter what you think of the strength of the art, you can admire the strength of the person who made it.

Ono received an exceptional education. Beginning when she was very young, she was tutored in Christianity (her father was a Christian; there were not many in Japan), Buddhism, and piano. She attended a school known for its music instruction; she was once asked to render everyday sounds and noises, such as birdsongs, in musical notation. After the war, she attended an exclusive prep school; two of the emperor’s sons were her schoolmates. And when she graduated she was admitted to Gakushuin University as its first female student in philosophy.

It’s easy to feel that there is an amateurish, “anyone can do this” quality to her art and her music. The critic Lester Bangs once complained that Ono “couldn’t carry a tune in a briefcase.” But the look is deliberate. It’s not that she wasn’t well trained. She learned composition and harmony when she was little, and she could write and read music, which none of the Beatles could do. At Sarah Lawrence, she spent time in the music library listening to twelve-tone composers like Arnold Schoenberg.

She grew up bilingual and was trained in two cultural traditions. She went to secondary school and college in Japan in a period of what has been called “horizontal Westernization,” when artistic and intellectual life was rapidly liberalized as the nation tried to exorcise its militarist and ultranationalist past. Ono and her friends read German, French, and Russian literature in Japanese translation, and the young philosophers they knew were obsessed with existentialism. She also knew Japanese culture. One of the ways she supported herself in New York was by teaching Japanese folk songs and calligraphy. She knew waka and Kabuki. She was therefore ideally prepared to enter the New York avant-garde of the nineteen-fifties, because that world was already hybrid. Its inspirations were a French artist, Marcel Duchamp, and an Eastern religion, Zen Buddhism.

If I copy any more I'm probably getting way beyond the "fair use" limit.

You may not enjoy her Art, but she is more like Warhol and his "Factory" type of Art experience than "pretty pictures". (I loved "Men In Black 3" and its send up of The Factory with Warhol filming the man eating a hamburger)

I thought the "Imagine" video was visually well done and presented its philosophical point of view well.  It doesn't sound like John Lenon, but it's not meant to.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-30, 10:38

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Her lack of polish is her art? So sucking is her art? Thats just fucking lazy and made up and nobody would know her if not for John Lennon.

The Ono family was wealthy. They had some thirty servants, and they lived in the Azabu district, near the Imperial Palace, away from the bombing. The fires did not reach them. But Ono’s mother, worried that there would be more attacks (there were), decided to evacuate to a farming village well outside the city.

In the countryside, the family found itself in a situation faced by many Japanese: they were desperate for food. The children traded their possessions to get something to eat, and sometimes they went hungry. Ono later said that she and Keisuke would lie on their backs looking at the sky through an opening in the roof of the house where they lived. She would ask him what kind of dinner he wanted, and then tell him to imagine it in his mind. This seemed to make him happier. She later called it “maybe my first piece of art.”

Like any artist, Ono wanted recognition, but she was never driven by a desire for wealth and fame. Whether she sought them or not, though, she has both. Her art is exhibited around the world: last year at the Serpentine, in London (“Yoko Ono: I Love You Earth”); this year at the Vancouver Art Gallery (“Growing Freedom”) and the Kunsthaus in Zurich (“Yoko Ono: This Room Moves at the Same Speed as the Clouds”). She began managing the family finances after she and her husband John Lennon moved to New York, in 1971, and she is said to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars today.

There is no question that museums and galleries mount these shows and people go to see them because Ono was once married to a Beatle. On a weekday not long ago, I saw the Vancouver show, which occupied the whole ground floor of the museum, and there was a steady stream of visitors. None of the artists and composers Ono was associated with in the years before she married Lennon enjoys that kind of exposure today.

Ono may have leveraged her celebrity—but so what? She never compromised her art. The public perception of her as a woman devoted to the memory of her dead husband has made her an icon among the kind of people who once regarded her as a Beatles-busting succubus. Yet the much smaller group of people who know about her as an artist, a musician, and an activist appreciate her integrity. No matter what you think of the strength of the art, you can admire the strength of the person who made it.

Ono received an exceptional education. Beginning when she was very young, she was tutored in Christianity (her father was a Christian; there were not many in Japan), Buddhism, and piano. She attended a school known for its music instruction; she was once asked to render everyday sounds and noises, such as birdsongs, in musical notation. After the war, she attended an exclusive prep school; two of the emperor’s sons were her schoolmates. And when she graduated she was admitted to Gakushuin University as its first female student in philosophy.

It’s easy to feel that there is an amateurish, “anyone can do this” quality to her art and her music. The critic Lester Bangs once complained that Ono “couldn’t carry a tune in a briefcase.” But the look is deliberate. It’s not that she wasn’t well trained. She learned composition and harmony when she was little, and she could write and read music, which none of the Beatles could do. At Sarah Lawrence, she spent time in the music library listening to twelve-tone composers like Arnold Schoenberg.

She grew up bilingual and was trained in two cultural traditions. She went to secondary school and college in Japan in a period of what has been called “horizontal Westernization,” when artistic and intellectual life was rapidly liberalized as the nation tried to exorcise its militarist and ultranationalist past. Ono and her friends read German, French, and Russian literature in Japanese translation, and the young philosophers they knew were obsessed with existentialism. She also knew Japanese culture. One of the ways she supported herself in New York was by teaching Japanese folk songs and calligraphy. She knew waka and Kabuki. She was therefore ideally prepared to enter the New York avant-garde of the nineteen-fifties, because that world was already hybrid. Its inspirations were a French artist, Marcel Duchamp, and an Eastern religion, Zen Buddhism.

If I copy any more I'm probably getting way beyond the "fair use" limit.

You may not enjoy her Art, but she is more like Warhol and his "Factory" type of Art experience than "pretty pictures".  (I loved "Men In Black 3" and its send up of The Factory with Warhol filming the man eating a hamburger)

I thought the "Imagine" video was visually well done and presented its philosophical point of view well.  It doesn't sound like John Lenon, but it's not meant to.

I think there's a chance you're taking this too seriously.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-30, 11:00

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 Img_2011

Nobody would look at this for its artistic expression unless it was done by Yoko Ono. And nobody would look at any art by Yoko Ono if not for John Lennon. Her breakthrough wasn’t because of her art, it was because of John.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-30, 11:20

Motown Spartan wrote:Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 Img_2011

Nobody would look at this for its artistic expression unless it was done by Yoko Ono. And nobody would look at any art by Yoko Ono if not for John Lennon. Her breakthrough wasn’t because of her art, it was because of John.

Nobody is overstating the case.  

She was a successful artist before John met her and fell for her.

Agree she gets more attention as an artist because of her marriage to John, however, it may also have held her back as people cannot see past her relationship with John.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-12-30, 11:45

Most of the Avant Garde scene is just a bunch of spoiled rich kids who are too far up their own asses to see how stupid and shitty their "art" is. Prove me wrong.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-30, 12:53

Cameron wrote:Most of the Avant Garde scene is just a bunch of spoiled rich kids who are too far up their own asses to see how stupid and shitty their "art" is. Prove me wrong.

Warhol?

But I agree Avant Garde Art is often very weird.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-12-30, 13:20

Fucking brilliant!

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 Img_2012
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-12-30, 13:22

In under the wire for The Most Inane Post of 2023.

Congrats Steve.

Would never shoot to kill the messenger. Just wing the messenger as a reminder.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-12-30, 15:57

GRR Spartan wrote:In under the wire for The Most Inane Post of 2023.

Congrats Steve.

Would never shoot to kill the messenger. Just wing the messenger as a reminder.

Wait until you hear my radio show 2024 is the year!

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-12-31, 10:03

Motown Spartan wrote:Fucking brilliant!

Always have laughed at the story about an art patron going to an exhibit of art seeing a banana on a stool, picking it up and eating it, only to be arrested for vandalism.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-31, 10:35

Trapper Gus wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Fucking brilliant!

Always have laughed at the story about an art patron going to an exhibit of art  seeing a banana on a stool, picking it up and eating it, only to be arrested for vandalism.

I think that's called performance art.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-02, 12:33

David Axelrod made a tweet about Taylor Swift ruining the Chiefs and it caused a huge melt down.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-21, 21:52

No
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-22, 06:41

When Eminem went to Ford Field it was considered awesome. When Taylor Swift shows up it’s a melt down. People need to chill out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-23, 06:45

A shirtless Jason Kelce is the best thing to happen to Bud Light in a while. It took a shirtless dude to save the day.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-23, 09:07

Oh boy Donovan Edwards. Looks like he might be hitting the sauce again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-23, 09:19

Michigan man.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-01-28, 18:23

Turtleneck wrote:No

How bout now?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-29, 07:07

I think the key take away is that both Yoko and Taylor are very talented and successful. Both deserve respect, not blame. These haters need to find a better outlet for their anger.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-29, 08:29

kingstonlake wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:No

How bout now?

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 200.gif?cid=ddb306a523259y0jf435sls5ddp7mpkvi3r45pfb2h193xpf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, kingstonlake and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-29, 08:32

Turtleneck wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

How bout now?

Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 200.gif?cid=ddb306a523259y0jf435sls5ddp7mpkvi3r45pfb2h193xpf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200

Can’t see what you posted. I hope it’s a pic of Taylor and Travis celebrating a win. It’s nice to see two people so happy in 2024.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-01-29, 08:45

I’d be willing to break another bone if somehow Taylor Swift kneeled during the Super Bowl national anthem just to see how crazy the right wing nuts go. Would be epic.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-01-29, 12:27

DWags wrote:I’d be willing to break another bone if somehow Taylor Swift kneeled during the Super Bowl national anthem just to see how crazy the right wing nuts go. Would be epic.

Is it ok if I imagine her kneeling during the Super Bowl national anthem in my room instead of a skybox?
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-29, 12:29

DWags wrote:I’d be willing to break another bone if somehow Taylor Swift kneeled during the Super Bowl national anthem just to see how crazy the right wing nuts go. Would be epic.

I thought they all stopped watching the NFL.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-29, 12:31

I can't name a single song of hers, but as long as she drives fragile, insecure white people crazy, I'm all for it.

I now see that she suddenly has republicans/libertarians concerned with climate change as it relates to her carbon footprint, so she can literally do nothing wrong. Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 969504605

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-29, 12:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I can't name a single song of hers, but as long as she drives fragile, insecure white people crazy, I'm all for it.

I now see that she suddenly has republicans/libertarians concerned with climate change as it relates to her carbon footprint, so she can literally do nothing wrong. Is Taylor Swift the Modern Yoko? - Page 2 969504605

I Think Taylor makes the games fun. Also, hats off to the Kelce’s. I think the Manning Brothers are a bit played out and am glad we have these two as an alternative.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-29, 14:10

Rick Saunders wrote:

Is it ok if I imagine her kneeling during the Super Bowl national anthem in my room instead of a skybox?

Pretty sure you get kicked off Twitter for that now.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-29, 17:35

Just a normal day in American politics. I don’t know who this person is but they have 36k followers.

[tw]1751984454837399814?s=46[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-29, 17:40

I am 100% certain that that person is joking turtleneck.

I don’t remember the details of the image. That’s a Twitter employee who maybe said some over the top positive stuff about musk maybe? Not certain. But Nikki is definitely joking.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next