Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.

+8
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
sεяεηιτλ
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.  Empty No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.

Post by DWags 2024-01-28, 09:48

I mean, I get it, it’s a way to call attention to what you’re concerned about. I just think these acts sometimes turn people off to your cause.

[tw]1751589087721455729?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.  Empty Re: No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-28, 10:07

Not the first time they did this, which is why the painting is protected by glass. It seems like a stupid thing to do, to me, as I have no idea how an old painting relates to environmental damsge.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.  Empty Re: No worries. Environment will now be saved. They threw soup at the Mona Lisa.

Post by Cameron 2024-01-28, 11:06

These types of protests are dumb. There was some group that blocked traffic in NYC or someplace in order to protest Biden not doing more about Gaza. Like, I fully agree with your cause, but go protest the people who actually have the power to change this and stop bothering regular people. Makes me wanna chokeslam somebody.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-28, 11:10

Cameron wrote:These types of protests are dumb. There was some group that blocked traffic in NYC or someplace in order to protest Biden not doing more about Gaza. Like, I fully agree with your cause, but go protest the people who actually have the power to change this and stop bothering regular people. Makes me wanna chokeslam somebody.

Stop wanting regular people to have power but then ask protesters to only bother "people who actually have the power."

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2024-01-28, 11:10; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-01-28, 11:10

Now I’m hungry. What kind of soup was it?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-28, 11:11

NigelUno wrote: Now I’m hungry.   What kind of soup was it?

French Onion. Maybe Italian Wedding.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-01-28, 11:12

NigelUno wrote: Now I’m hungry. What kind of soup was it?

It looks like tomato.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-28, 11:13

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:These types of protests are dumb. There was some group that blocked traffic in NYC or someplace in order to protest Biden not doing more about Gaza. Like, I fully agree with your cause, but go protest the people who actually have the power to change this and stop bothering regular people. Makes me wanna chokeslam somebody.

Stop wanting regular people to have power but then ask protesters to only bother "people who actually have the power."

No.

When regular people get some power, then you can start throwing soup wherever you want. Until then, the tactic makes no sense at all.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-28, 11:30

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

No.

When regular people get some power, then you can start throwing soup wherever you want. Until then, the tactic makes no sense at all.

How will they get power if they are not pushed to acquire power; if the issues of the day are not disruptively put in front of them to take their attention away distractions like TV, sportsball, and Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-28, 11:37

Oh yes, you're right. There is nothing currently incentivizing regular people to acquire power, but some obnoxious French activists throwing soup at beloved works of art will surely be just the push we need.

Get your head out of your ass.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-28, 11:49

I would give a lot for Americans to have the type of social unification and creativity when it comes to protests that the French do. You think soup on the Mona lisa is bad? Suggest raising the retirement age. The entire fucking museum will be filled with Campbell’s chunky. One of our politicians said that this week and we shrugged. 

Anyway I think it’s admirable that they’re trying to do something instead of the nothing that 99.99% of us do. The thing is a bit cringy. But they’re trying and that’s not a bad thing.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-28, 12:24

Cameron wrote:Oh yes, you're right. There is nothing currently incentivizing regular people to acquire power, but some obnoxious French activists throwing soup at beloved works of art will surely be just the push we need.

I can see clearly. The problem is the complacent class who thinks political power is message boarding. They are everywhere.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-01-28, 12:46

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:Oh yes, you're right. There is nothing currently incentivizing regular people to acquire power, but some obnoxious French activists throwing soup at beloved works of art will surely be just the push we need.

I can see clearly. The problem is the complacent class who thinks political power is message boarding. They are everywhere.

😂
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-28, 13:03

Turtleneck wrote:

He said on a message board (with over 4 times the number of posts I have).

Spare me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-28, 13:36

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Spare me.

My political activity is not done on a message board where I complain about other people engaged in real life political activity. It's that kind of nonsense, pointing out that everything is wrong but being unwilling to actually do anything about it and making fun of those who do, that serves the status quo.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2024-01-28, 14:04

Trapper Gus wrote:Not the first time they did this, which is why the painting is protected by glass. It seems like a stupid thing to do, to me, as I have no idea how an old painting relates to environmental damsge.

is that even the real painting? i thought mona lisa was so valuable that no displays were actually real, though they may do some things to make you think it is real (like covering it in bullet proof glass)
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-28, 15:15

Turtleneck wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Spare me.

My political activity is not done on a message board where I complain about other people engaged in real life political activity. It's that kind of nonsense, pointing out that everything is wrong but being unwilling to actually do anything about it and making fun of those who do, that serves the status quo.

You assume a lot.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-29, 07:34

Mosty complaining about lack of aware of issues lets me vent.

Message boards are like movies, if you want to send a message write an e-mail to your representatives.

Or go open a can of soup.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-01-29, 07:59

PARIS (AP) — Protesting farmers vowed to encircle Paris with tractor barricades and drive-slows on Monday, aiming to lay siege to France’s seat of power in a battle with the government over the future of their industry, which has been shaken by repercussions of the Ukraine war.

https://apnews.com/article/france-farmer-protests-traffic-barricades-paris-attal-80a809a9020047bc903addedaee8f338
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-01-29, 10:26

Trapper Gus wrote:
PARIS (AP) — Protesting farmers vowed to encircle Paris with tractor barricades and drive-slows on Monday, aiming to lay siege to France’s seat of power in a battle with the government over the future of their industry, which has been shaken by repercussions of the Ukraine war.

https://apnews.com/article/france-farmer-protests-traffic-barricades-paris-attal-80a809a9020047bc903addedaee8f338

Let them eat cake.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-29, 12:28

try that shit at the NASCAR Museum in North Carolina and see what happens.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-01, 10:26

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-15, 13:29

This bothers me more than the environmentalists that throw soup at art.

[tw]1779673855415447831[/tw]

Maybe it’s because it’s Ann Arbor. But seriously I’m not sure you want the barista to do about this

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2024-04-15, 16:56; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2024-04-15, 14:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This bothers me more than the environmentalists that through soup at art.

[tw]1779673855415447831[/tw]

Maybe it’s because it’s Ann Arbor. But seriously I’m not sure you want the barista to do about this

I thought they were closing the Starbucks in Ann Arbor? Eh... overrated coffee, anyway. I'd just assume make a travel mug at home. Sourcing good Kona beans makes all the difference.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-16, 07:28

There are several Starbucks in the A2 area.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-19, 04:34

Getting tired of these. I’m on their side, but become creative.

[tw]1780981172442415450?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-19, 08:00

That one seems pretty direct and pointed at the people they are unhappy with. What’s the beef with that?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-19, 08:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That one seems pretty direct and pointed at the people they are unhappy with. What’s the beef with that?

Violence? I mean if that’s where we’re at as a country, I’m not surprised, but fuck that, I don’t have to agree with it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-19, 08:48

Did anyone stop to think that Alaska is such a significant petrol state that the state pays its citizens an oil dividend instead of taxing them?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-19, 08:53

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:That one seems pretty direct and pointed at the people they are unhappy with. What’s the beef with that?

Violence? I mean if that’s where we’re at as a country, I’m not surprised, but fuck that, I don’t have to agree with it.

I didn’t watch the video I just read the caption. Did anyone get hurt?

If not, then at a certain point it sounds like you just really don’t like protest and would prefer people shut up and eat shit. They get creative and start throwing soup and that’s not good. They yell at politicians and oil executives and they should find something more creative.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-19, 08:55

Trapper Gus wrote:Did anyone stop to think that Alaska is such a significant petrol state that the state pays its citizens an oil dividend instead of taxing them?
Trapper Gus wrote:Did anyone stop to think that Alaska is such a significant petrol state that the state pays its citizens an oil dividend instead of taxing them?

$1,100 in 2022. I guess they should be throwing a party about destroying the environment for $1100 each instead of being mad about it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-19, 09:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

I didn’t watch the video I just read the caption. Did anyone get hurt?

If not, then at a certain point it sounds like you just really don’t like protest and would prefer people shut up and eat shit. They get creative and start throwing soup and that’s not good. They yell at politicians and oil executives and they should find something more creative.

Yeah, I remember when African Americans in Montgomery destroyed busses, sat in front of them and wouldn’t let them move, pulled and pushed bus drivers off podiums at ceremonies. And they created change.

No wait, none of that happened. But change was made through peaceful protest. In this case, a ton of people walking to work for months.

I also get the fact that lot of these protests aren’t as encapsulated as the Montgomery boycott was. It’s impossible to be that effective because the tentacles of the monster they are protesting against are too global and too hard to be that specific.

I don’t even mind the soup at the beginning of this thread. They really didn’t even harm anything.

But physically assaulting people on a stage bothers me. And I also know, that is where our society is absolutely going. It will get more violent, It’s not going to get less violent

Hopefully, just like during the Vietnam era, When it gets so violent that our government shoots and kills people, Effective change will be made on the right side of the argument.

I don’t know, Travis, maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t think blocking a bridge or harming people up on the podium, Is the way to do it, But I’ve never been that creative myself so who the hell am I?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-19, 09:17

$1,100 in 2022. I guess they should be throwing a party about destroying the environment for $1100 each instead of being mad about it.

My point, fwiw, is that although the protesters have their point, attacking a Senator from a petrol state as deep in as Alaska is a big waste of time. Few if any in that state are going to change their minds.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-19, 09:19

There is a tussle in progress as the clip starts, not clear how it started. I wouldn't be at all surprised if "security" or similar was the one to initiate actual physical contact. In pretty much every video of a protestor just yelling, it ends with them being forcibly dragged away by one or more dudes in suits.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-19, 09:24

Cameron wrote:There is a tussle in progress as the clip starts, not clear how it started. I wouldn't be at all surprised if "security" or similar was the one to initiate actual physical contact. In pretty much every video of a protestor just yelling, it ends with them being forcibly dragged away by one or more dudes in suits.

This is probably right. It would be like disparaging the Kent state protesters for getting violent as they lay dead on the pavement.

We should really all know enough about the police state that we live in to give protesters generally the benefit of the doubt that they probably didn’t start it until shown otherwise
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-19, 09:29

Cameron wrote:There is a tussle in progress as the clip starts, not clear how it started. I wouldn't be at all surprised if "security" or similar was the one to initiate actual physical contact. In pretty much every video of a protestor just yelling, it ends with them being forcibly dragged away by one or more dudes in suits.

This is probably right. It would be like disparaging the Kent state protesters for getting violent as they lay dead on the pavement.

We should really all know enough about the police state that we live in to give protesters generally the benefit of the doubt that they probably didn’t start it until shown otherwise

Peaceful protests are peaceful when they don't create confrontation. Once the protesters disrupt an event by trying to take over the event it has shifted to a confrontational protest, the point of which is not a peaceful protest.

Both are protesting strategies, however they shouldn't be confused as the same.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-19, 09:45

In Trapper's world, a protest is only valid and peaceful if it doesn't disturb the establishment in any way.

Bootlicker simp
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-19, 10:04

The protesters were invited on stage? Because if they weren’t, a line was crossed.

Anyway, it’s going to get way worse. We all know that. I’m mentally prepared for scenes of cars running over protesters blocking roads. Bodies broken getting shoved from stages. I understand that many people accept that as a progressive step toward settling an issue. We’ve all lived it before. Songs have been written about it. Songs will be. I always hope for peaceful resolution like Montgomery, but understand that’ those a few and far between.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-19, 10:51

"You have the right to protest, but only quietly and in designated areas." - the US Constitution, probably
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-04-19, 11:22

Cameron wrote:"You have the right to protest, but only quietly and in designated areas." - the US Constitution, probably

Close. The People have the right to peacefully assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next