Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 8.1

+2
Ass Dan
Herbie Green
6 posters

Go down

Windows 8.1 Empty Windows 8.1

Post by Herbie Green Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Bought my kids a new laptop. I was told you could change things to make it more like the old way. I have no idea wtf is going on. Took me 10 attempts after finding the search box to get the wifi connection. Do you completely revert this thing back or learn to adjust because this is the new way of thinking and the world is going to pass me by if I don't get on board?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Windows 8.1 Empty Re: Windows 8.1

Post by Ass Dan Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:40 pm

You're gonna have to adapt, grandpa
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Been on it since Summer. Love my SP2 but still some things I find really frustrating about Win8.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:42 pm

I have a surface with 8.1 Pro and I have a tile that says Surface/Desktop. That tile leads me to what looks like an old XP desktop screen. From there I can do just about anything just like I used to be able to do in XP. If you want to use tiles it's pretty easy.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Snake Plissken wrote:I have a surface with 8.1 Pro and I have a tile that says Surface/Desktop. That tile leads me to what looks like an old XP desktop screen. From there I can do just about anything just like I used to be able to do in XP. If you want to use tiles it's pretty easy.

You know what I fucking hate, though? Among other things?

I'm sure you're in sales by the amount you travel, so like me, I bet you're looking at a lot of PDF SOWs all of the damned time. I fucking hate that Reader/PDFs don't open up in a program that you can find in your tool bar when you take the cursor to the bottom of the screen to bring up the floating task bar. Instead, it's open off in never never land in some fucking rogue app that you can only find if you navigate your cursor to some random corner of the screen which seems to change every week.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:56 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

You know what I fucking hate, though? Among other things?

I'm sure you're in sales by the amount you travel, so like me, I bet you're looking at a lot of PDF SOWs all of the damned time. I fucking hate that Reader/PDFs don't open up in a program that you can find in your tool bar when you take the cursor to the bottom of the screen to bring up the floating task bar. Instead, it's open off in never never land in some fucking rogue app that you can only find if you navigate your cursor to some random corner of the screen which seems to change every week.

I'd have to check but I think my PDF's open in Adobe
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 am

Herbie Green wrote:

Bought my kids a new laptop.  I was told you could change things to make it more like the old way.  I have no idea wtf is going on.  Took me 10 attempts after finding the search box to get the wifi connection.  Do you completely revert this thing back or learn to adjust because this is the new way of thinking and the world is going to pass me by if I don't get on board?
Bought a new laptop a year and a half ago with Windows 8.  Never used it before.  The guy at Micro Center offered to give me a short lesson on how to use it but I declined thinking, "Can't be that tough to figure out.  Been using Windows since 3.0".

Was almost punching the fucking screen 5 minutes after turning it on.  Similar to Office 2007 and the fucking ribbons, Microsoft had out-thought itself again.  NOTHING was were it use to be and there was no built-in option to revert to 'classic mode'.  Found freeware called something like Windows Shell that made W8 sort of tolerable for a couple weeks.  Still a PITA to even shut the thing down without holding the power button.  Bought a copy of Windows 7 and all was right again.  

Windows 8.1 came out a couple months later with a functional desktop mode...it's there.  Not sure how direct you to the setting but my laptop opens in desktop.  Still annoyed by shit that pops out from the corners of the screen.  Sometimes have to search around for stuff rarely needed that I use to know where it was.

fwiw...still use MS Office 2003 on both work and home computers.  Either I'm getting old or they've been smoking way too much weed in Redmond the last 10 years.  Maybe both.

PDF's open in Adobe Reader
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:09 am

Snake Plissken wrote:

I'd have to check but I think my PDF's open in Adobe

Yeah, after about a month of using the native Win 8.1 PDF app I ditched that thing and installed Adobe Reader as the default app for PDFs.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down