The Golf Thread

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-28, 14:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
duffy munn wrote:I have 7 career aces. One went off a tree.

You must golf a lot, law of averages being what they are. Unless you're on the PGA Tour Champions circuit and you're really Boom Boom.

I worked at night for close to 30 years. So, yeah, I played a ton of golf. If you stand in a lot of thunderstorms, you are bound to be hit by lightening.

Funny thing is I'm not really very good ( about a 10 handicap).

Here's the list of aces:

1986: Pine lake in Haslett. #11 197 yards, 3 iron. shot 86.

1995: Timber Ridge. #16 155 yards, 7 iron. Shot 82

2000: Bellaire country club in Tampa. #10 110 yards, Wedge. Shot 77

2003: Brookshire. #10 110 yards, wedge. Scramble playing with former MSU coach Mark Hankins. I won a year supply of top flights. Another hole in one on a different hole won a car

2009: Tullymore. #5 155 yards 6 iron.
Scramble. Won a nike driver

2010: timber ridge #8. 125 yards, 9 Iron. Dead pull that was heading out of bounds. I was reaching for another ball. Shot rattles off a pine tree and goes in. shot 82.

2014: Wheatfield #7 155 yards, 7 iron. 7th hole, 7 iron 7th ace. shot 37 for 9 holes.

Yeah, I'm lucky as fuck.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-28, 14:20

Duffy. A 10 handicap is very good. Not very good is a 25 handicap. Average is probably around a 20 handicap. I'm going to guess that you say that because your drives probably aren't all that long, but you probably are consistently in the fairway, and then have an iron shot to the green. Your short game is probably very good from 100 yards and less, which means you rarely 3 putt and in a average game maybe have about 28-30 putts total.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-28, 14:31

InTenSity wrote:Duffy. A 10 handicap is very good. Not very good is a 25 handicap. Average is probably around a 20 handicap. I'm going to guess that you say that because your drives probably aren't all that long, but you probably are consistently in the fairway, and then have an iron shot to the green. Your short game is probably very good from 100 yards and less, which means you rarely 3 putt and in a average game maybe have about 28-30 putts total.

I can drive it about 260 max. I'm just as likely to shoot 90 as I am to shoot in the 70's. My career best is a 74. I shot 50 for 9 in my league 2 weeks ago. Short game is decent but I 3 putt, a lot.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-01, 19:01

Just shot a 115 on the Manistee National the day after we shot a 60 in a scramble on the same fucking course. Played skins and I won zero.

I hate this game. Fucking hate it.

I'm playing 27 tomorrow.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-07-01, 19:07

I played like shit this morning. I think the humidity played a factor. Clubbed up one from normal at times and still came up short. It just wasn't a good golf day.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2017-07-01, 19:50

Maybe it's allergies Trav

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-07-01, 20:58

Golf O rama this morning with the Dagwoods crew.,16 guys. 85 without hitting a single fairway. But I did win a skin and a greenie.

Eagle Eye with Jingles tomorrow.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2017-07-02, 07:47

duffy munn wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Duffy. A 10 handicap is very good. Not very good is a 25 handicap. Average is probably around a 20 handicap. I'm going to guess that you say that because your drives probably aren't all that long, but you probably are consistently in the fairway, and then have an iron shot to the green. Your short game is probably very good from 100 yards and less, which means you rarely 3 putt and in a average game maybe have about 28-30 putts total.

I can drive it about 260 max. I'm just as likely to shoot 90 as I am to shoot in the 70's. My career best is a 74. I shot 50 for 9 in my league 2 weeks ago. Short game is decent but I 3 putt, a lot.

I think we're close to the same age.  You can still hit it 260?  What's the secret?  Sometimes I think I hit my 4 iron almost as far as my driver now.  I really haven't lost that much distance on my irons, but my drives are probably 40 yds shorter on average.  Can't figure out why my irons have only lost maybe a club difference and such a huge disparity with the driver.

When I was younger, I got the hcp down to 7.  That was 1995.  Averaged under 80 in competition (about 10 tournaments total) in '94 and '95.  Haven't broke 80 since '95 and now can't drive it over 220 even when I flush it and I don't even want to think what my hcp is.  Probably at least 30.

I never used to play winter rules.  Now I move everything.  I play in a league out at Akers.  Haven't broke 50 all year and basically stop keeping score after the 2nd or 3rd hole because by that time it's hopeless.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-07-02, 07:53

Anybody got a review of Forest Dunes in Roscommon? Trying to put around together with three of my buddies.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2017-07-02, 07:56

kingstonlake wrote:Anybody got a review of Forest Dunes in Roscommon? Trying to put around together with three of my buddies.

That's the Loop, right? Looks spectacular, which means it's too goddamn hard.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-07-02, 08:14

Frank Ricard wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I think we're close to the same age.  You can still hit it 260?  What's the secret?  Sometimes I think I hit my 4 iron almost as far as my driver now.  I really haven't lost that much distance on my irons, but my drives are probably 40 yds shorter on average.  Can't figure out why my irons have only lost maybe a club difference and such a huge disparity with the driver.

When I was younger, I got the hcp down to 7.  That was 1995.  Averaged under 80 in competition (about 10 tournaments total) in '94 and '95.  Haven't broke 80 since '95 and now can't drive it over 220 even when I flush it and I don't even want to think what my hcp is.  Probably at least 30.

I never used to play winter rules.  Now I move everything.  I play in a league out at Akers.  Haven't broke 50 all year and basically stop keeping score after the 2nd or 3rd hole because by that time it's hopeless.

I'm 54 and my secret is mostly technology. I can hit the driver at least 25 yards longer than I did when I was 25.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-07-02, 08:15

Frank Ricard wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Anybody got a review of Forest Dunes in Roscommon? Trying to put around together with three of my buddies.

This. Forrest Dunes is a hard golf course.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-07-02, 08:22

Two of us can break 80 on a good day, the other guy is a mid 40's shooter and the last guy will be shooting in the 50's. Length isn't a problem for me and I'm a good putter. But when I play courses with massive greens I get into trouble. Inevitably will have a fair amount of lengthy lag puts where at a regular track I'd be chipping.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-02, 08:25

duffy munn wrote:
Frank Ricard wrote:

This. Forrest Dunes is a hard golf course.

With enough warning it does come with free baked goods though.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-07-03, 18:02

My stepdad is giving me his old driver, TaylorMade R11-S. About 5 years old, but still a great driver.

Problem is, I'm a lefty. He said I could sell it, give it to someone, etc.

Too bad I'm a lefty.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-07-03, 18:04

I did not golf today.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-07-03, 18:05

tGreenWay wrote:I did not golf today.

Neither did I. I worked and am going to a party/fireworks show tonight.

Xoxo

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-07-03, 18:07

I moved my clubs from one corner of the garage to another today.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-07-03, 18:39

Death Roe wrote:

Neither did I. I worked and am going to a party/fireworks show tonight.

Xoxo

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-07-03, 18:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:

I moved my clubs from one corner of the garage to another today.

That sounds like a lot of work. Kick back and relax now.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum