Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Florida guys, homeowners insurance question

+3
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
7 posters

Go down

Florida guys, homeowners insurance question Empty Florida guys, homeowners insurance question

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-07, 13:31

The joys of home ownership. Peoples Trust just dropped my homeowners insurance, because of Hurricane risk. Thought I'd ask here first where to go to get new Homeowners or if I'm going to be stuck with Citizens. I have coverage until 8/1. The reasons listed were 1) Other and 2) Hurricane liability.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Florida guys, homeowners insurance question Empty Re: Florida guys, homeowners insurance question

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-07, 14:47

tWife handles that stuff, but we got dropped by an insurance company a couple of years ago because they didn't want the risk and were pulling out of Florida. I think we still go through an insurance agent so that they can work with different companies on our behalf. I don't think that we got stuck with Citizens (I know we've tried to avoid that), but I don't know off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to ask tWife about it tonight.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Florida guys, homeowners insurance question Empty Re: Florida guys, homeowners insurance question

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-07, 14:59

I thought this is what homeowners insurance looked like in Florida...

Florida guys, homeowners insurance question Maxresdefault

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-04-07, 18:27; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-04-07, 15:00

From my knowledge, there is only Citizens and two other companies in the entire state now. And the other two don't operate in the entire state.

You are probably stuck with Citizens. Expensive homeowners insurance is what you get for living in Florida though. It's a much higher risk area than anywhere else in the country and should be a lot more expensive.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2015-04-07, 15:18

InTenSity wrote:The joys of home ownership. Peoples Trust just dropped my homeowners insurance, because of Hurricane risk. Thought I'd ask here first where to go to get new Homeowners or if I'm going to be stuck with Citizens. I have coverage until 8/1. The reasons listed were 1) Other and 2) Hurricane liability.

"Other"? Is that in addition to the "Hurricane liability" or is the "Hurricane liability" under the "other" category?
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-07, 15:28

CheesySpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:The joys of home ownership. Peoples Trust just dropped my homeowners insurance, because of Hurricane risk. Thought I'd ask here first where to go to get new Homeowners or if I'm going to be stuck with Citizens. I have coverage until 8/1. The reasons listed were 1) Other and 2) Hurricane liability.

"Other"? Is that in addition to the "Hurricane liability" or is the "Hurricane liability" under the "other" category?
I have no idea, I think they probably have to give 2 reasons to stop coverage, and 'Other' is the 1st reason. This happens in Miami though. I had heard good things about the company we had, but reading a few comments last night, apparently the CEO died about a year ago, and since then, they've been declining policies.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-07, 15:39

Marc Summers wrote:From my knowledge, there is only Citizens and two other companies in the entire state now. And the other two don't operate in the entire state.

You are probably stuck with Citizens. Expensive homeowners insurance is what you get for living in Florida though. It's a much higher risk area than anywhere else in the country and should be a lot more expensive.
We're probably due for a storm this year since I think its been since 2006 since a hurricane has hit Florida. Maybe there is a storm that came close, but the eastern shore has taken more hits than Florida in the last 5 years. Florida and S. Florida have some natural protections against storms coming out of the Atlantic, the ones that can hurt though are the ones that boomerang and come from the Gulf.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-07, 18:06

InTenSity wrote:
Marc Summers wrote:From my knowledge, there is only Citizens and two other companies in the entire state now. And the other two don't operate in the entire state.

We're probably due for a storm this year since I think its been since 2006 since a hurricane has hit Florida. Maybe there is a storm that came close, but the eastern shore has taken more hits than Florida in the last 5 years. Florida and S. Florida have some natural protections against storms coming out of the Atlantic, the ones that can hurt though are the ones that boomerang and come from the Gulf.
While there are often factors like high pressure systems that keep hurricanes to the south, or push them to turn north before hitting Florida, Andrew and Katrina both came from the Atlantic, as did Jeanne and Francis I think (the latter two hit up north of WPB though). But we can definitely get them from the Gulf, too (Wilma, for example, was the worst one that I've been through).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-13, 16:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:tWife handles that stuff, but we got dropped by an insurance company a couple of years ago because they didn't want the risk and were pulling out of Florida. I think we still go through an insurance agent so that they can work with different companies on our behalf. I don't think that we got stuck with Citizens (I know we've tried to avoid that), but I don't know off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to ask tWife about it tonight.
Forgot to come back to this, in case you care. The company we switched to when we got dropped is called People First or First People or something like that. We go through an agency, Dewey Insurance, if you're interested.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2015-04-13, 20:27

We have universal property and casualty insurance company for the condo in Naples.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2015-04-13, 20:28

InTenSity wrote:

I agree. It's been 10 years since we got hit with the big three.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-13, 20:40

Tanfan! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I agree. It's been 10 years since we got hit with the big three.

GM, Chrysler, and Ford?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 09:49

Mine is HO6 for condo, but it's through Heritage Property & Casualty Ins Co. Florida guys, homeowners insurance question 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-29, 10:55

I got a call from the insurance agency that has my policy, they were aware of what People's Trust did and said they will make sure there is no lapse in coverage. I got a quote from a different agency, and it looks like I'll be getting Citizens. $2150 a year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down