Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1?

+14
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
Heat Miser
tTito
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
InTenSity
The_Dude
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1?

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 00:45

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sometimes I'm selfish. I don't know how else to explain that. Wish I wasn't but sometimes I am.

How does paying more sales tax benefit you?

Justify your stupid vote.

Do I have to? Seriously. this is a no win. My side lost. You've won and you seem angry.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1?

Post by Cameron 2015-05-06, 00:54

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Do I have to? Seriously. this is a no win. My side lost. You've won and you seem angry.

If my side won, then I have no reason to be angry. I'm just curious what possible reason you could have for voting yes.

PS: It should be a no win, voting yes was stupid.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-05-06, 01:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Initially I wanted to disagree with this just due to my own personal philosophy.

But it really does make the most sense. I'm not a big fan of taxes but if you're going to tax... try as hard as possible to put the tax where it'll affect those using them the most.

It doesn't make sense to raise Bob's taxes (or yours if you're referring to biking/walking as being off the roads) when Bob is doing the earth and his health some good by riding a bike to work.

while I agree with this to an extent, I'm very much an "it takes a village" kind of guy.

I am too, Bob. I'm just not a "force everyone to participate through the threat of violence in order to fund someone else's idea" kind of guy.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 06:23

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

If my side won, then I have no reason to be angry. I'm just curious what possible reason you could have for voting yes.

PS: It should be a no win, voting yes was stupid.

Thanks. I've noted your feelings on it
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 08:02

I was 99.9% certain that it wouldn't pass, but I figured it'd be more along the lines of 65/35... an 80/20 vote shows you how truly bad this proposal was, the language used and the general distrust the public has of politicians.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-05-06, 08:07

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sometimes I'm selfish. I don't know how else to explain that. Wish I wasn't but sometimes I am.

Hey genius drunk guy.... Selfish reasons = he works in roads or something else that stands to benefit from increased spending on roads. $500 in sales tax < thousands in increased business.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 08:11

Dwags is so selfish, he doesn't feel the need to explain the reasons why he's selfish.. Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1? - Page 3 502811600

leave the dude alone!!

#ISupportDwags
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-05-06, 08:50

Construction companies and unions spent $9 million to try and get this abomination passed.

Opponents of Prop 1 spent $200,000 to defeat the bill.

I'd like to know how many pot holes $9.2 million can fill. Start on my street, and go from there.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 08:55

Rodeo Burger wrote:Construction companies and unions spent $9 million to try and get this abomination passed.

I'd like to know how many pot holes $9.2 million can fill. Start on my street, and go from there.
the alliances that were created through this process was weird..

I want my taxes raised.. I just want the politicians to have the guts to raise them. I don't want them putting their hard decisions to public referendum just so they can run on their "I never once raised your taxes" nonsense come election day..

so it was bizarre - I was aligned with the knuckle-draggin' tea baggers with my "no" vote..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-06, 09:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rodeo Burger wrote:Construction companies and unions spent $9 million to try and get this abomination passed.

the alliances that were created through this process was weird..

I want my taxes raised.. I just want the politicians to have the guts to raise them. I don't want them putting their hard decisions to public referendum just so they can run on their "I never once raised your taxes" nonsense come election day..

so it was bizarre - I was aligned with the knuckle-draggin' tea baggers with my "no" vote..
I don't live in MI, but I saw a few people on FB, mostly relatives who are pretty big conservatives, upset that the politicians were trying to pass tax hikes off, instead of doing it themselves. It was kind of weird.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 09:22

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:the alliances that were created through this process was weird..

I don't live in MI, but I saw a few people on FB, mostly relatives who are pretty big conservatives, upset that the politicians were trying to pass tax hikes off, instead of doing it themselves. It was kind of weird.
yep - that's the exact way I was looking at it. I don't appreciate a politician going through the window in the dark of night trying to raise taxes. Do it, do it honorably and from an honest place, own up to it and be willing to be held accountable for doing it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-06, 09:23

Wait, so do we want a say in our taxes or not? The posts above confuse me.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-05-06, 09:34

I don't mind that a public vote was called for and a special election was held, but they still screwed the pooch.

There should have been two proposals.  Something along the lines of:

1) The proposal in the language that was voted on yesterday
2) An alternate proposal that clearly said 100% of the increase was going toward infrastructure (roads, bridges, water).

Let people vote on only one of the two, or reject both.  I bet #2 would have passed by a good margin.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 09:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wait, so do we want a say in our taxes or not? The posts above confuse me.
yes - and it's the job of our elected officials to represent us. Unless they are cowards.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 10:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Wait, so do we want a say in our taxes or not? The posts above confuse me.
yes - and it's the job of our elected officials to represent us. Unless they are cowards.

So, do we want or, don't want, them to give us options on being taxed or not?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-06, 10:04

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yes - and it's the job of our elected officials to represent us. Unless they are cowards.

I thought when we voted in officials, we knowingly gave them the power to introduce or take away taxes. Maybe I misunderstand one of their responsibilities. What they should do is allow the public to decide if they get raises or not.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 10:06

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:yes - and it's the job of our elected officials to represent us. Unless they are cowards.

I feel like we have that option on election day.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 10:09

InTenSity wrote:
DWags wrote:

So, do we want or, don't want,  them to give us options on being taxed or not?  

I thought when we voted in officials, we knowingly gave them the power to introduce or take away taxes. Maybe I misunderstand one of their responsibilities. What they should do is allow the public to decide if they get raises or not.
they're cowards..

the knuckle-draggers have ran the state (and country, to an extent) into the ground with their "anti-tax" mantra.. now, suddenly, they realize that this thought process has backed them into a corner and instead of being brave enough to admit that revenue needs to be raised to maintain basic infrastructure, they attempt to shift their responsibility to the taxpayers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-05-06, 11:06

Bob, I know you like to repeat talking point over and over and over again, but your entire shtick of knuckle dragging right wing politicians shifting responsibility to the citizens in MI is ignorance at it's finest.

"49 states have a law in place that allows citizens to vote on proposed constitutional amendments offered by the state legislature. The exception is Delaware, where the legislature alone acts on constitutional amendments."

http://ballotpedia.org/Legislatively-referred_constitutional_amendment
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 11:08

The_Dude wrote:Bob, I know you like to repeat talking point over and over and over again, but your entire shtick of knuckle dragging right wing politicians shifting responsibility to the citizens in MI is ignorance at it's finest.  

"49 states have a law in place that allows citizens to vote on proposed constitutional amendments offered by the state legislature. The exception is Delaware, where the legislature alone acts on constitutional amendments."

I've never said that they can't do it.. a ballot initiative to amend the constitution.

I'm simply saying that it's a method for them (thankfully, a failed one) to have taxes raised while somehow being absolved of any involvement and resistant to any repercussions. They tried, they failed.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-05-06, 11:09; edited 2 times in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-05-06, 11:08

The_Dude wrote:Bob, I know you like to repeat talking point over and over and over again, but your entire shtick of knuckle dragging right wing politicians shifting responsibility to the citizens in MI is ignorance at it's finest.

Someone is Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1? - Page 3 1896033241 .
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 11:09

I don't know about you guys, but the more options I get from those guys in Lansing the better I feel. The more direct this democracy becomes the better it is.

In this case the vast majority told them no way. Their voice was heard. Had the legislature just given it to us, 80% of the people would be pissed off today.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 11:11

DWags wrote:I don't know about you guys, but the more options I get from those guys in Lansing the better I feel. The more direct this democracy becomes the better it is.

In this case the vast majority told them no way. Their voice was heard. Had the legislature just given it to us, 80% of the people would be pissed off today.
and could respond accordingly on election day..

unless, of course, we're too preoccupied with more important stuff like Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, a football game, etc.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 11:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:I don't know about you guys, but the more options I get from those guys in Lansing the better I feel.  The more direct this democracy becomes the better it is.  

In this case the vast majority told them no way.  Their voice was heard. Had the legislature just given it to us, 80% of the people would be pissed off today.
and could respond accordingly on election day..

unless, of course, we're too preoccupied with more important stuff like Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, a football game, etc.

I think it's a win win for the 80%.  They got their wish, and now, at election time, they get to vote these guys out of office because they believe these elected officials are cowards.

Term limits have fucked us.  We have amateurs who dont' know what they're doing, have little background into how to get it done, have no historical basis as to why we need things done and how votes like this don't work, and don't give a shit if they get it wrong.   Term limits are the antithesis of a sound democracy.  And they end up giving you a bunch of dumb fucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 11:38

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:and could respond accordingly on election day..

I think it's a win win for the 80%. They got their wish, and now, at election time, they get to vote these guys out of office because they're cowards.

Term limits have fucked us. We have amateurs who dont' know what they're doing, have little background into how to get it done, have no historical basis as to why we need things done and how votes like this don't work, and don't give a shit if they get it wrong. Term limits are the antithesis of a sound democracy. And they end up giving you a bunch of dumb fucks.
correct.

Not at all a fan of term limits. Not only is it a direct assault on the idea of democracy, but its sheer existence makes it impossible for representatives to form long term (hopefully) bipartisan alliances, partnerships, relationships with colleagues to do what is best for their collective constituents. Instead, they spend their short time in the legislature building their resume to a target audience and looking for their next job.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-05-06, 11:41

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Who, you?

I voted no on this, how am I mad?

I just like to educate people whenever I can about how our judicial and legislative process work. Lots of people cue up faux outrage over falsehoods.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-06, 11:53

The_Dude wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Who, you?

I just like to educate people whenever I can about how our judicial and legislative process work. Lots of people cue up faux outrage over falsehoods.

Is there ANYTHING people are allowed to get worked up about? Or should we all just be mindless robots who follow the orders of the government?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-05-06, 12:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Who, you?

Is there ANYTHING people are allowed to get worked up about? Or should we all just be mindless robots who follow the orders of the government?

Liberals. You can get mad about them as much as you please.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-05-06, 12:25

The_Dude wrote:

Who, you?

Of course there are things you can get worked about. Just make sure you aren't getting worked up over myths like hands up don't shoot.

Know what you are talking about when you get outraged is all I ask, yes?

It shouldn't be that difficult this day and age but unfortunately people just look for biased sources to affirm their own narrative even when it's a false narrative like almost all of Bob's posts if you want an example.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-05-06, 12:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I think it's a win win for the 80%. They got their wish, and now, at election time, they get to vote these guys out of office because they're cowards.

Term limits have fucked us. We have amateurs who dont' know what they're doing, have little background into how to get it done, have no historical basis as to why we need things done and how votes like this don't work, and don't give a shit if they get it wrong. Term limits are the antithesis of a sound democracy. And they end up giving you a bunch of dumb fucks.
correct.

Not at all a fan of term limits. Not only is it a direct assault on the idea of democracy, but its sheer existence makes it impossible for representatives to form long term (hopefully) bipartisan alliances, partnerships, relationships with colleagues to do what is best for their collective constituents. Instead, they spend their short time in the legislature building their resume to a target audience and looking for their next job.

Huh?

We should have term limits for every single political office on this country, starting with Congress.

Our government was made to have civilians govern, then go back to normal life after they serve. Remember the phrase government for the people by the people?

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me someone like Hilary Clinton isn't part of a elite, incredibly out of touch political class that has made herself insanely rich off of being a politician? And you think someone like that is going to watch out and fight for the average Joe?

She said she hasn't driven a car in 20 years but she can relate to the average persons' problems...riiiight. Rolling Eyes

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-06, 12:31

The_Dude wrote:

Of course there are things you can get worked about. Just make sure you aren't getting worked up over myths like hands up don't shoot.

Know what you are talking about when you get outraged is all I ask, yes?

It shouldn't be that difficult this day and age but unfortunately people just look for biased sources to affirm their own narrative even when it's a false narrative like almost all of Bob's posts if you want an example.

Make sure to get your talking points from White Knights of Valor, and Rush.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-05-06, 12:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I've never said that they can't do it.. a ballot initiative to amend the constitution.

I'm simply saying that it's a method for them (thankfully, a failed one) to have taxes raised while somehow being absolved of any involvement and resistant to any repercussions. They tried, they failed.

Well we should hold our politicians accountable and vote them out then.

But we have pathetic voter turnout in this country and most people just check the box of the name they recognize of the incumbent.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-05-06, 12:37

The_Dude wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:correct.

Huh?

We should have term limits for every single political office on this country, starting with Congress.

Our government was made to have civilians govern, then go back to normal life after they serve. Remember the phrase government for the people by the people?

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me someone like Hilary Clinton isn't part of a elite, incredibly out of touch political class that has made herself insanely rich off of being a politician? And you think someone like that is going to watch out and fight for the average Joe?

She said she hasn't driven a car in 20 years but she can relate to the average persons' problems...riiiight. Rolling Eyes

I assume you will say that you do, no matter what the actual answer is, but do you know what the term limits are for a state representative in Michigan? 3 2 year terms. 6 years. That's barely enough time to figure out where you like to go to lunch during the day and which direction you need to go in to find Omars. I'm fine with term limits, but it has to be longer than 6 years.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-06, 12:56

The_Dude wrote:

THAT is the funniest shit I have heard all day. What a crock of shit that is now. No
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-05-06, 13:08

The_Dude wrote:

Huh?

Is anyone going to vote yes on Proposal 1? - Page 3 Sheep-redorbit
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-05-06, 13:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Huh?

I assume you will say that you do, no matter what the actual answer is, but do you know what the term limits are for a state representative in Michigan? 3 2 year terms. 6 years. That's barely enough time to figure out where you like to go to lunch during the day and which direction you need to go in to find Omars. I'm fine with term limits, but it has to be longer than 6 years.

Until recently I believe that 6 years in our legislature got you abut a 25-35 K pension with lifetime health until medicare kicked in. Nice 6 years. I do think they finally took some of that away. Too lazy to research it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-06, 14:23

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Until recently I believe that 6 years in our legislature got you abut a 25-35 K pension with lifetime health until medicare kicked in. Nice 6 years. I do think they finally took some of that away. Too lazy to research it.

I know back in the old days it was 5 years to lifetime health care. I had an employee run and get elected to the MiHouse and that was one of his big motivators.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-06, 14:48

The_Dude wrote:

Huh?

Our government was made to have civilians govern, then go back to normal life after they serve.  Remember the phrase government for the people by the people?

Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me someone like Hilary Clinton isn't part of a elite, incredibly out of touch political class that has made herself insanely rich off of being a politician?  And you think someone like that is going to watch out and fight for the average Joe?  

I appreciate your attempt to insert that pathetic She Devil, Hillary Clinton, into your non-biased assertion but she hasn't held elected office since January of 2009. So if you're going to find some America-hatin' liberal to promote your argument of how evil elections are, you should try a little harder to find someone who has actually held elected office in the last 6-7 years.

oh, and Ted Kennedy died in 2009, so you probably should use him as an example, either.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3