Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft

+12
Blanch32
HT
Rocinante
InTenSity
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
tTito
Tim Wakefield
Ass Dan
Robert J Sakimano
Other Teams Pursuing That
Giant Moose
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bolt Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 08:44

Byrd was back in East Lansing to train for the NBA Draft, according to the sports agency representing him.

A good amount of his struggle at MSU was due to him lacking the mental toughness to handle the tough crowds and media scrutiny he underwent. However, after a year at The Master’s College and a lot of time to mature, Byrd has gained plenty of confidence and is determined to show it at the next level.

“There (are) some opportunities to make some noise (in the NBA). That’s what I’ve been preparing for all year.”

Link: http://statenews.com/article/2015/04/byrdbackinel
(were you expecting the Onion?)
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bolt Re: Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft

Post by Guest 2015-04-30, 08:53

He better make it or Klarissa might kick his ass.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-30, 08:58

Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 502811600 Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 09:04

Giant Moose wrote:

“There (are) some opportunities to make some noise (in the NBA).
"popcorn.. getcha popcorn"...

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-04-30, 09:05

For Duffy's sake, I'll keep my comments to myself. Best of luck to the kid.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-04-30, 12:11

2nd rounder IMO
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-04-30, 12:21

Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 294152859
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-04-30, 12:24

Well, nothing stops a kid from dreaming and applying for the draft.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-30, 12:41

I've always rooted for the guy, and I hope he makes it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-30, 12:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:Well, nothing stops a kid from dreaming and applying for the draft.

I see him going in the 4th or 5th round.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 12:48

tRCMB locked this same thread. You can't even link State News articles talking about former Spartans training for the NBA Draft now. Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-30, 13:33

Giant Moose wrote:tRCMB locked this same thread. You can't even link State News articles talking about former Spartans training for the NBA Draft now. Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 502811600
Aren't you the one who still complains that he got to kiss the center of the court when MSU played his college?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 13:43

Giant Moose wrote:tRCMB locked this same thread. You can't even link State News articles talking about former Spartans training for the NBA Draft now. Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 502811600
did they ban the lowlife responsible for linking an article from the MSU newspaper?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 14:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
did they ban the lowlife responsible for linking an article from the MSU newspaper?
No, but I did laugh that a thread wishing a Spartan well while he is trying out for the draft got 30 downvotes.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 14:06

InTenSity wrote:
Aren't you the one who still complains that he got to kiss the center of the court when MSU played his college?
I guess that's me. That thread didn't mention it at all, though.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-30, 14:10

Somebody needs to lock this shit before it gets out of hand.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 14:12

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:did they ban the lowlife responsible for linking an article from the MSU newspaper?
No, but I did laugh that a thread wishing a Spartan well while he is trying out for the draft got 30 downvotes.
maybe sarcasm was detected.. and sarcasm is a big no-no over there. Especially when it's directed in a manner that is unpopular with the gestapo.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 14:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
maybe sarcasm was detected.. and sarcasm is a big no-no over there. Especially when it's directed in a manner that is unpopular with the gestapo.
There's a thread about you going on over there right now, too: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/Bob-Sak-Sighting-37030498

You have made an impression on many lives.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-30, 14:20

Let freedom ring, Bob!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-30, 14:26

tTito wrote:Look for Bob at a tailgate dressed as a super hero.

Good one teets.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 14:28

Giant Moose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:maybe sarcasm was detected.. and sarcasm is a big no-no over there. Especially when it's directed in a manner that is unpopular with the gestapo.
There's a thread about you going on over there right now, too: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/Bob-Sak-Sighting-37030498

You have made an impression on many lives.
Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft 1966794946

that is awesome.. I never realized that an idiot like me would have such an impact on a group of people over a year later.. it's a good thing I choose not to use my personality skills and subtle nuances for evil - they're be a lot of dudes wearing Nikes taking a nap under purple shrouds.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-30, 15:01

Good on Izzo for letting Byrd come back to East Lansing to prep for the NBA. I personally wouldn't and would have told him to prepare for the draft at The Master's College, but Izzo is a much better man than I am. 

Will Byrd be a part of MSU's pro day?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 15:05

HT wrote:Good on Izzo for letting Byrd come back to East Lansing to prep for the NBA. I personally wouldn't and would have told him to prepare for the draft at The Master's College, but Izzo is a much better man than I am. 

Will Byrd be a part of MSU's pro day?
I think the better question is... will be allowed to kiss The Masters College logo?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-30, 15:14

Can someone explain to me the hate for Byrd? The guy couldn't hack it here and didn't pan out. Stayed out of trouble and passed his classes. I guess I'm just missing what makes him and/or Izzo such horrible people for letting him do a couple of things that he wasn't able to do while he was here. Was Izzo supposed to run him off? Did I miss something? Did he fuck the meeses boyfriend?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-30, 15:18

InTenSity wrote:Can someone explain to me the hate for Byrd? The guy couldn't hack it here and didn't pan out. Stayed out of trouble and passed his classes. I guess I'm just missing what makes him and/or Izzo such horrible people for letting him do a couple of things that he wasn't able to do while he was here. Was Izzo supposed to run him off? Did I miss something? Did he fuck the meeses boyfriend?
I could be wrong.. 'cause I don't pay that much attention to sports.. but wasn't he a fairly high-ranked recruit out of high school?

if so, I'm guessing that since he seemed to level off once he got to MSU, certain MSU "fans" with misplaced priorities and a distorted sense of reality felt incumbent to thrust their personal shortcomings onto a 20-21 year old kid they've never met whose production on the basketball court didn't meet their lofty expectations.

I could be wrong, though.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-04-30, 15:20

InTenSity wrote:Can someone explain to me the hate for Byrd? The guy couldn't hack it here and didn't pan out. Stayed out of trouble and passed his classes. I guess I'm just missing what makes him and/or Izzo such horrible people for letting him do a couple of things that he wasn't able to do while he was here. Was Izzo supposed to run him off? Did I miss something? Did he fuck the meeses boyfriend?

The hate is not real... we are bored and this is the internet.

Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft Giphy
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-30, 15:22

One of the flaws of our fan base is on social media and are beyond brutal on our own athletes that under perform.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-30, 15:29

steveschneider wrote:

One of the flaws of our fan base is on social media and are beyond brutal on our own athletes that under perform.
This applies to every fanbase. I don't follow anyone on twitter that closely to notice if the athletes are getting torn to shreds.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-30, 15:30

steveschneider wrote:

I don't give a shit if said player doesn't play hard. Tum tum was basically useless this season aside from his effort on D. Wish Byrd played with even a tenth of his energy
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-30, 16:05

Blanch32 wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I don't give a shit if said player doesn't play hard. Tum tum was basically useless this season aside from his effort on D. Wish Byrd played with even a tenth of his energy

Tum Tum also has a ton of speed and a lot of potential.

Mike Kebler used to play with a shit load of energy.

Wollerman plays with a ton of energy.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 18:49

I hated that we didn't announce Master's College scores and include his Master's stats in with ours in every box score. I was also disappointed we didn't fly him in and let him sit courtside for the Final Four.

We really didn't do enough for Byrd. Hopefully we can retire his jersey to make up for those slights.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-04-30, 20:44

Given the OP, I thought for sure this thread was some sort of troll. Imagine my surprise when there was an actual real link and story behind it.

Byrd would be lucky to make the D League. Might be able to play overseas somewhere. If Kalin Lucas, Durrell Summers, et al. can't get drafted...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Achtung Baby 2015-04-30, 20:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I could be wrong.. 'cause I don't pay that much attention to sports.. but wasn't he a fairly high-ranked recruit out of high school?

if so, I'm guessing that since he seemed to level off once he got to MSU, certain MSU "fans" with misplaced priorities and a distorted sense of reality felt incumbent to thrust their personal shortcomings onto a 20-21 year old kid they've never met whose production on the basketball court didn't meet their lofty expectations.

I could be wrong, though.
. Easy now, Bob. You're getting on one of your biggest fans.
Achtung Baby
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-30, 22:05

steveschneider wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

Tum Tum also has a ton of speed and a lot of potential.

Mike Kebler used to play with a shit load of energy.

Wollerman plays with a ton of energy.

And both of those dudes should have played over Byrd. Byrd was a lazy mans Thornton
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-05-01, 07:07

I don't hate him (he was the most down-to-earth basketball player I encountered my last couple years at MSU), but I just don't think you should be granted the ability to use MSU's facilities to prepare for the NBA if you left MSU to finish your career elsewhere. It's not like he left MSU for any real negative reason, and he was very well-liked on campus (unless he became a major d-bag in the couple seasons after I graduated). He was actually a very likeable guy and I don't think anyone really hated him (at least around EL, but I'm sure our fringe lunatics messaged him on Twitter), but instead it seemed like everyone really wanted to see him do well.

Hopefully he gets to realize part of his goal of playing professionally, but he chose to leave a place where he had a lot of support, just so he could go pad his stats for a year. So, in my opinion, should be getting ready at The Master's College and not at MSU.

Like I said, Izzo is a better man than I am for letting Byrd come back to train (and for letting him kiss center court).
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-05-01, 08:10

HT wrote:

I don't hate him (he was the most down-to-earth basketball player I encountered my last couple years at MSU), but I just don't think you should be granted the ability to use MSU's facilities to prepare for the NBA if you left MSU to finish your career elsewhere. It's not like he left MSU for any real negative reason, and he was very well-liked on campus (unless he became a major d-bag in the couple seasons after I graduated). He was actually a very likeable guy and I don't think anyone really hated him (at least around EL, but I'm sure our fringe lunatics messaged him on Twitter), but instead it seemed like everyone really wanted to see him do well.

Hopefully he gets to realize part of his goal of playing professionally, but he chose to leave a place where he had a lot of support, just so he could go pad his stats for a year. So, in my opinion, should be getting ready at The Master's College and not at MSU.

Like I said, Izzo is a better man than I am for letting Byrd come back to train (and for letting him kiss center court).
You couldn't be more wrong. Byrd deserved to train at MSU, and we should be lucky that he chose to come back to MSU to use our facilities. I am going to start a petition to rename the Breslin Center to the Byrd Center in honor of a tremendous Spartan who has a great Spartan family.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-01, 08:21

Giant Moose wrote:
HT wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Byrd deserved to train at MSU, and we should be lucky that he chose to come back to MSU to use our facilities. I am going to start a petition to rename the Breslin Center to the Byrd Center in honor of a tremendous Spartan who has a great Spartan family.
And you wonder why people think you were trolling with the OP? I just don't understand this hate at all. You should send your suggestions to Izzo.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-01, 08:27

I'm kinda sick of hearing about this guy. I might be better at basketball.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-05-01, 09:19

Izzo has no one but himself to blame for Byrd. Dude was and still is a one dim player. Im just praying our new crop of skinny white SGs don't also play out the same way. Give me thorton or bograkos any day. Ideally they transform into a greyson or OSU pg from last year
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-01, 10:13

Blanch32 wrote: or OSU pg from last year

Another illustration of the depth of your knowledge.

Russell Byrd preparing for the NBA Draft Wading-in-Shallow-Water-1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next