Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference?

+20
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
Nordic
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
aualum06
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Heat Miser
NigelUno
InTenSity
HT
WBill
Dr. Strangelove
Blanch32
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
Giant Moose
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 Empty Re: So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference?

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-23, 21:53

And I still want Texas and Notre dame, damnit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 Empty Re: So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference?

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-07-23, 22:39

tGreenWay wrote:
aualum06 wrote:[tw]1418678701135384579?s=19[/tw]

It would be truly shocking if um left to join that group. They know but won’t admit they’d be a perennial bottom dweller with hopes of occasionally reaching third or fourth place. Of course, they’ll use the excuse of not wanting to leave the B1G and its  tradition of aacademic excellence, but we’ll know the real reason.

So about like they are now in the B1G?

Ok, maybe not a perennial bottom dweller, but they are 3rd-4th place only occasionally.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-23, 23:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It would be truly shocking if um left to join that group. They know but won’t admit they’d be a perennial bottom dweller with hopes of occasionally reaching third or fourth place. Of course, they’ll use the excuse of not wanting to leave the B1G and its  tradition of aacademic excellence, but we’ll know the real reason.

So about like they are now in the B1G?

Ok, maybe not a perennial bottom dweller, but they are 3rd-4th place only occasionally.

Very true, but a switch to the SEC would finally put an end to all of the local and national media pie-in-the-sky pre- and in-season mega-hype.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-07-24, 00:04

tGreenWay wrote:

I see no incentive for OSU to make that move. Pretty sure the BIG makes more $ on their TV deal than the SEC (or at least comparable). Even if that increases over with a mega-conference, they dominate the BIG. And based on recruiting, that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. 

Clemson has positioned themselves as tOSU of the ACC (and some) and Michigan gets the BIG paycheck. I suppose Clemson could be lured by the $$ and the threat of the ACC panicking/imploding. 

That said, things are going to go nuclear. I just don't see the BIG being a casualty with their TV pull.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-07-24, 00:08

Heat Miser wrote:KU reaching out to B1G. Do not want. The rest of the Big 12 is garbage. Stand pat with 14.

I'd take them. Fits geographically (I think, where the fuck is Kansas again?). Would be a good get for hoops.

Last edited by Nordic on 2021-07-24, 00:11; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-07-24, 00:11

tGreenWay wrote:And I still want Texas and Notre dame, damnit.

ND isn't coming and F them. They had their chance. If A&M cock blocks Texas/OK, the BIG should make a move for them. The BIG West would be legit and would add eyeballs and TV sets.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-24, 00:24

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:And I still want Texas and Notre dame, damnit.

ND isn't coming and F them. They had their chance. If A&M cock blocks Texas/OK, the BIG should make a move for them. The BIG West would be legit and would add eyeballs and TV sets.

Yes, fuck them, but ND is our #2 rival and I’ll always want to play them every year. That’s how it should be, in conference or, most likely, out.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-07-24, 00:44

Nordic wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:KU reaching out to B1G. Do not want. The rest of the Big 12 is garbage. Stand pat with 14.

I'd take them. Fits geographically (I think, where the fuck is Kansas again?). Would be a good get for hoops.

I'm guessing KU comes nowhere near fitting academically.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 05:38

According to Valenti A&M left the 12 because of Texas and were not consulted on the OK and TX merger. I'd make a play for them and Iowa St. Put them in the West and bring Purdue to the East.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-24, 06:11

kingstonlake wrote:According to Valenti A&M left the 12 because of Texas and were not consulted on the OK and TX merger. I'd make a play for them and Iowa St. Put them in the West and bring Purdue to the East.

I just don’t think Iowa State ever enters any big ten conversations
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 06:36

DWags wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:According to Valenti A&M left the 12 because of Texas and were not consulted on the OK and TX merger. I'd make a play for them and Iowa St. Put them in the West and bring Purdue to the East.

Probably not because it makes to much sense and Iowa wants no part of it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-07-24, 07:51

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I see no incentive for OSU to make that move. Pretty sure the BIG makes more $ on their TV deal than the SEC (or at least comparable). Even if that increases over with a mega-conference, they dominate the BIG. And based on recruiting, that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. 

Clemson has positioned themselves as tOSU of the ACC (and some) and Michigan gets the BIG paycheck. I suppose Clemson could be lured by the $$ and the threat of the ACC panicking/imploding. 

That said, things are going to go nuclear. I just don't see the BIG being a casualty with their TV pull.

If 5 Power Conferences become 4, the Big Ten's not going anywhere.

SEC has set the bar with their $3 billion deal which starts in 2024.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-24, 08:09

If they are smart the B1G will go after Syracuse.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-07-24, 09:11

steveschneider wrote:If they are smart the B1G will go after Syracuse.

For sure.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-07-24, 09:49

The ratings for Syracuse in the B1G would dwarf the SuperBowl.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-24, 10:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:The ratings for Syracuse in the B1G would dwarf the SuperBowl.

In all seriousness I have no idea where it’s going to go but I’m enjoying seeing all the hot takes. I like Pitt. Pitt vs PSU would be a fun rivalry game. I also think the Iowa vs Iowa St football game is a very underrated rivalry. In terms of game quality I think it’s better than the game. Was in a sports bar during one and there was a table or Iowa St fans going crazy. My sense was they hate Iowa as much as MSU fans hate Michigan.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-07-24, 11:00

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:The ratings for Syracuse in the B1G would dwarf the SuperBowl.

In all seriousness I have no idea where it’s going to go but I’m enjoying seeing all the hot takes. I like Pitt. Pitt vs PSU would be a fun rivalry game. I also think the Iowa vs Iowa St football game is a very underrated rivalry. In terms of game quality I think it’s better than the game. Was in a sports bar during one and there was a table or Iowa St fans going crazy. My sense was they hate Iowa as much as MSU fans hate Michigan.

My dad went to Iowa, and it is a big rivalry for all sides. Probably underrated because it rarely has national significance (and never conference significance, of course). I have no idea if they fit the academic requirements, but they'd be a cool addition. Same with Pitt.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-24, 11:24

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Agreed about OSU. My concern is the B1G panics and grabs schools just to fill out. There may be concern by some leaders in the concern about being left behind, and I suppose that’s real—to an extent. Meanwhile, as realignment continues, I wonder if any of our current schools not named um or OSU would jump ship. Again, it would be hard to walk away from all that B1G money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-24, 11:27

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

But will Iowa St. amount to anything once Matt Campbell leaves? Plus, you’re not exactly known for making too much sense. So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 1494614055 So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-07-24, 11:28

tGreenWay wrote:

Would love to see Bama come up to Columbus in November though
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-07-24, 11:29

Heat Miser wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I'm guessing KU comes nowhere near fitting academically.

Do we pivot and go basketball super conference? Poach KU, duke (coach k a rat but name and venue solid), and UNC
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-24, 11:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My dad went to Iowa, and it is a big rivalry for all sides. Probably underrated because it rarely has national significance (and never conference significance, of course). I have no idea if they fit the academic requirements, but they'd be a cool addition. Same with Pitt.

Adding Iowa State would be cool? Hmmm… We have different understandings of that word.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-07-24, 12:08

Turns out KU and ISU are both in the AAU. Add them to the B1G West and move Purdon't to the B1G East and call it a day I guess.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-07-24, 12:11

I’m pretty sure that the Ypsi Prep Academy for Boys Who Want to Basketball Good and Do Other Things Good To is also aau
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-07-24, 12:56

Heat Miser wrote:Turns out KU and ISU are both in the AAU. Add them to the B1G West and move Purdon't to the B1G East and call it a day I guess.

Not sure it matters that much for further expansion.

I think Nebraska go kicked out of the AAU.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 13:28

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

But will Iowa St. amount to anything once Matt Campbell leaves? Plus, you’re not exactly known for making too much sense. So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 1494614055 So how much longer will the Big 12 be a power conference? - Page 2 2809484752

You son of a......
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 13:29

Fuck it. Let's go to the SEC. We got hoops and Football street cred.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-07-24, 13:40

[ig]CRt7gz-rsG4[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-07-24, 14:20

Heat Miser wrote:Turns out KU and ISU are both in the AAU. Add them to the B1G West and move Purdon't to the B1G East and call it a day I guess.

As I mentioned before, I would rather have ISU than Maryland or Rutgers. They are a much better fit, but they don't add revenue. The Big 10 isn't interested in the Ames market. Let's also add Buffalo, who is a member of the precious AAU.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-07-24, 14:48

The talk of the SUPER CONFERENCE smacks of the SUPER LEAGUE that was attempted with the richest teams in European soccer earlier this year.

It would almost guarantee the National Championship would be played between two members.  At this juncture I don’t see umaa’s membership into the expanded as a positive given what’s been going on in its football program for the last dozen seasons.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2021-07-24, 16:32

Makes a lot of sense.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/here-are-some-options-for-remaining-big-12-teams-when-texas-oklahoma-leave-for-sec/
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2021-07-24, 17:07

Word is Iowa State as well as Kansas have already reached out to the B1G.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-07-24, 17:07

GRR Spartan wrote:The talk of the SUPER CONFERENCE smacks of the SUPER LEAGUE that was attempted with the richest teams in European soccer earlier this year.

It would almost guarantee the National Championship would be played between two members.  At this juncture I don’t see umaa’s membership into the expanded as a positive given what’s been going on in its football program for the last dozen seasons.

Unless/until that Super Conference separates from the SEC with only a dozen or so blue bloods, and then leaves the NCAA, it isn't really much like the attempted Super League.

Granted, that may very well be their goal eventually.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-07-24, 17:16

No Kansas without KSU. Or maybe just no Kansas football. Maybe Kansas football can join the Legacy division of the Northern Michigan Football League with Joburg and Stignace.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-07-24, 17:17

StylesGShmooth wrote:Makes a lot of sense.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/here-are-some-options-for-remaining-big-12-teams-when-texas-oklahoma-leave-for-sec/

Does this mean Allen and Locious will be able to kiss the S?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-07-24, 20:12

[tw]1418703795484340229?s=21[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 20:18

I call BS on that one
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 20:19

WV to the big ten might makes sense
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-07-24, 20:24

kingstonlake wrote:I call BS on that one

Apparently it's a fake account, I got had
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-24, 20:40

aualum06 wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I call BS on that one

Apparently it's a fake account, I got had

USC @ MSU in November. Let's do it!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next