Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Illinois Football so Bad?

+13
StylesGShmooth
Floyd Robertson
Giant Moose
CheesySpartan
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
tTito
HT
Dr. Strangelove
InTenSity
Jethro Bodeen
Turtleneck
17 posters

Go down

illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? Empty Why is Illinois Football so Bad?

Post by Turtleneck 8/10/2015, 9:57 am

I guess it is partly because....

...admission limitations are hurtful because rivals like Nebraska and Michigan State readily accept student-athletes that the UI rejects.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2015-08-08/tate-zooks-quote-raises-concerns.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? Empty Re: Why is Illinois Football so Bad?

Post by Jethro Bodeen 8/10/2015, 10:11 am

Zook was supposedly the king of recruiting. What a shit excuse by Zook.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? Empty Re: Why is Illinois Football so Bad?

Post by Turtleneck 8/10/2015, 10:14 am

Jethro Bodeen wrote:Zook was supposedly the king of recruiting. What a shit excuse by Zook.

This is now the go to excuse. There are only a few schools that can invoke admissions standards. IU is not one of them.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 8/10/2015, 10:15 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Jethro Bodeen wrote:Zook was supposedly the king of recruiting. What a shit excuse by Zook.

This is now the go to excuse. There are only a few schools that can invoke admissions standards. IU is not one of them.
IU isn't that great at football either, but not sure what they have to do with UI.
tongue
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 8/10/2015, 10:18 am

InTenSity wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

IU isn't that great at football either, but not sure what they have to do with UI.
tongue

Speaking of IU, I hate them so much.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 8/10/2015, 10:21 am

They really should be good but they haven't been in 50 years.

44,000 students
$2 billion endowment
Illinois has 12 million people and is the 5th most populous state.

They've only been ranked 6 times in the last 50 years.

1983 (10/10), 1989 (10/10), 1990 (25/24), 1999 (24/25), 2001 (12/12) and 2007 (20/18). (AP/Coaches)

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 8/10/2015, 10:22 am

Turtleneck wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
tongue

Speaking of IU, I hate them so much.

Forks down!
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 8/10/2015, 10:44 am

They probably have had bad leadership for a long time, at least when it comes to athletics. I guess it's almost similar to MSU in the 70s-early 00's in a way, because I think both schools have similar enough profiles that Illinois could have success similar to ours if they got the right guy.

And speaking of the right guy, they are in trouble for the time being, because that AD is cash-strapped and I believe they're still paying off the Zook contract. They won't have a lot of money for whoever is next, so it's going to have to be the right hire or they're in more trouble.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 8/10/2015, 11:27 am

It's because OSKEE
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 8/10/2015, 11:47 am

Fuck ANY college sports program that puts up a lame excuse that their 'high academic' standards keeps them from winning.

If Duke, Berkeley, UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan and Harvard (basketball) can lower their standards so can they.

Athletes aren't going there to play school, they are going there to play sports.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 8/10/2015, 11:56 am

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 8/10/2015, 12:08 pm

In the recent past the best team records were followed by NCAA probations.

I think a lot of it is location and recruiting areas. Chicago to Champaigne-Urbana seems like one of the longestdrives in the Big Ten. ND and umaa have recruited Chicago for decades, Northwestern jumped in in the last 20 years and exceptional players get national attention. Mizzou recruits St. Louis and downstate IL pretty well.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 8/10/2015, 2:46 pm

The Badgers have been using the same excuse the last few years...laughable IMO.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 8/10/2015, 2:48 pm

Bad athletic department.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 8/10/2015, 2:49 pm

Football purgatory for cheating during the Mike White era.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 8/10/2015, 3:05 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:Football purgatory for cheating during the Mike White era.

They had a CB named Swope. He was a damn good player. He was acquitted for dealing a suitcase full of cocaine. ( He looked guilty as sin ****but*** he was acquitted )  They were loaded with players under White and they were known as playing dirty. In Georges Perles' 1st year, when they'd just come off a big win over ND,  I remember they targeted Dave Yarema and put him out of the game and out for the season. As Yarema was being carted off the field- the entire Illinois sideline both players and coaches were cheering wildly and high-fiving.( I was in the bleachers right behind the Illinois bench ). It made me sick. It ended the season for MSU for all practical purposes. They were then known as the "Biting Illini" back then and earned it.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 8/10/2015, 11:10 pm

because they suck as a staff, record label and as a motherfucking crew
And if you want to be down with them, then you suck too
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 3/5/2016, 12:28 pm

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1648740-breaking-whitman-dismisses-cubit

Because of shit like this
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 3/5/2016, 4:07 pm

Jethro Bodeen wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Football purgatory for cheating during the Mike White era.

They had a CB named Swope. He was a damn good player. He was acquitted for dealing a suitcase full of cocaine. ( He looked guilty as sin ****but*** he was acquitted )  They were loaded with players under White and they were known as playing dirty. In Georges Perles' 1st year, when they'd just come off a big win over ND,  I remember they targeted Dave Yarema and put him out of the game and out for the season. As Yarema was being carted off the field- the entire Illinois sideline both players and coaches were cheering wildly and high-fiving.( I was in the bleachers right behind the Illinois bench ). It made me sick. It ended the season for MSU for all practical purposes. They were then known as the "Biting Illini" back then and earned it.

I distinctly remember them putting MSU players out for the season with broken legs in consecutive seasons, back in the Lorenzo White era, or maybe a little before. Dirty as fuck, those bastards.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 3/5/2016, 4:54 pm

SpartanInNH wrote:
Jethro Bodeen wrote:

I distinctly remember them putting MSU players out for the season with broken legs in consecutive seasons, back in the Lorenzo White era, or maybe a little before. Dirty as fuck, those bastards.

That was Mike White - he was old school.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 3/5/2016, 5:26 pm

That ain't right

illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? Img_8610
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 3/5/2016, 5:47 pm

Oh, Illinois, my Illinois...... illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? 502811600

Report: Lovie Smith to be named Illinois football coach
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 11/25/2018, 12:28 pm

They just extended Lovie 2 more years
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/25/2018, 12:33 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:They just extended Lovie 2 more years

Stability will bring success.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/25/2018, 2:20 pm

Can he recruit at Illinois? Can anyone recruit there? Lovie did a good job at Chicago but he’s stuck at a dead end job.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 11/25/2018, 2:24 pm

"Lovie, why should we give you an extension"

"I've been to Indy as often as a guy making 7 million a year, won just as many divisional titles, and for a hell of alot less."

"Sign here"
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/25/2018, 2:33 pm

Pretty interesting read regarding points one and two.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW4u75ofDeAhVHhuAKHVFCAt8QzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.offtackleempire.com%2F2018%2F4%2F19%2F17256714%2Fmythbusters-illinois-fighting-illini-edition-the-champaign-room-b1g-2018-coach-changes-football&psig=AOvVaw03iaNrGA9FIcWNyWw5irci&ust=1543260083533086

I don’t care enough about Illinois to read the whole thing but the author is clearly fan and covers Zooks to the current Lovie situation. Sounds like they view Lovie as their best option to get out of the mess created by the previous coach.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 11/25/2018, 3:52 pm

kingstonlake wrote:"Lovie, why should we give you an extension"

"I've been to Indy as often as a guy making 7 million a year, won just as many divisional titles, and for a hell of alot less."

"Sign here"

illinois - Why is Illinois Football so Bad? 1486952199
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down