Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman

+15
Jethro Bodeen
Herbie Green
steveschneider
Dr. Strangelove
InTenSity
Nordic
Blanch32
Rocinante
DWags
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Ass Dan
Giant Moose
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman Empty Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 pm

http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2015/8/28/Football_0828155855.aspx

URBANA, Ill. – University of Illinois Director of Athletics Mike Thomas dismissed head football coach Tim Beckman on Friday, citing preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the program.

Thomas said the timing is unfortunate with the season one week away. But based on preliminary findings, he said, it was in the best interests of student-athletes to act now rather than when a final report is issued and publicly released, which likely will occur during the season.

"The preliminary information external reviewers shared with me does not reflect our values or our commitment to the welfare of our student-athletes, and I've chosen to act accordingly," Thomas said. "During the review, we have asked people not to rush to judgment, but I now have enough information to make this decision in assessing the status and direction of the football program."

Thomas said he has met with players and staff to inform them of the decision and reiterated that the health and well-being of student-athletes is the top priority throughout the athletic department's 21 programs.

During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team.

"Both of those findings are unsettling violations of University policy and practice and do not reflect the culture that we wish to create in athletic programs for our young people," Thomas said. "I expect my coaches to protect players and foster their success on and off the field."
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman Empty Re: Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman

Post by Ass Dan Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Wow, fuck Beckman then. Hope he never gets his braces removed.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman Empty Re: Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Illinois is probably the most screwed up athletic program in the Big Ten.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:37 pm

@schadjoe  4 minutes ago
Illinois says Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Solid timing.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 pm

In the end, Illinois sports will have given me the greatest gift: the time I get to spend with my family that I used to spend caring about college athletics.
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=22592&page=2

Illini fans don't even seem to care any more.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Illinois have any poachable recruits? Probably not, because they're Illinois.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:46 pm

They should hire John L. Smith.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Buncha pussies worried about coddling their football players.   Beckman was just demanding excellence from them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Hoke?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:50 pm

@SportsCenter 8m
Just one hour ago, @coachbeckman tweeted his excitement about the Illinois season opener.

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman CNhEJmxWIAEkGW0
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm

I imagine an interim from the current staff will step in and then they will hire PJ Fleck at the end of the season.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm

How did Iowa handle the brown pee?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Turtleneck wrote:I imagine an interim from the current staff will step in and then they will hire PJ Fleck at the end of the season.

Good call
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm

DWags wrote:How did Iowa handle the brown pee?

They sprayed it on the corn fields.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:54 pm

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I imagine an interim from the current staff will step in and then they will hire PJ Fleck at the end of the season.

Good call

Illinois is going to get some oars on their jerseys!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Bill Cubit is now the interim coach. He was a former Western Michigan coach.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:03 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Buncha pussies worried about coddling their football players.   Beckman was just demanding excellence from them.

Plus most of those injuries were falsely reported.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Giant Moose wrote:Bill Cubit is now the interim coach. He was a former Western Michigan coach.

So he is going to lose his job to Fleck twice?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Bill Cubit is now the interim coach. He was a former Western Michigan coach.

So he is going to lose his job to Fleck twice?

He might do well. Who knows. Beckman is a scumbag though. Hello lawsuits ill
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Giant Moose wrote:@schadjoe  4 minutes ago
Illinois says Beckman will not receive the $3.1 million remaining on the last two years of his original five-year contract.

.....and there is the real reason he was fired. They were looking for an excuse to shit can him for cause. What an abortion.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Fleck is smart enough to avoid this trap
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Nordic wrote:

.....and there is the real reason he was fired. They were looking for an excuse to shit can him for cause. What an abortion.

It also tells me he had to do some pretty bad shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Why is Illinois so bad at sports? They should at least be competitive in BBall.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

DWags wrote:

It also tells me he had to do some pretty bad shit.

Probably, but there is no way the AD didn't have a whiff of this months ago.  He was already on the chopping block so even the slightest hint of something bad would have led to his firing much earlier at a school that truly gives a fuck.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:37 pm

InTenSity wrote:Why is Illinois so bad at sports? They should at least be competitive in BBall.

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t7466-why-is-illinois-football-so-bad?highlight=illinois
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Nordic wrote:

He forced kids to play hurt. This wasn't bullshit that they cooked up, he's a dickbag.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Illinois fires football coach Tim Beckman 2i0yibt
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Nordic wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Is Illinois a better job than Western?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Coaches, and I mean every head coach I've ever talked to or coached a camp for, have this unbelievable sense of self worth and have zero self doubt. They believe they can turn shit around. They're often wrong but their belief doesn't waiver. Ever. Might be ego. I mean who in their right mind would ever want to follow an Izzo or a K or a Saban at bama? People who believe in themselves.
Illinois has possibilities because of Chicago and Milwaukee but it will take the right guy. I know there will be a dozen who believe they're that guy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:33 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Coaches, and I mean every head coach I've ever talked to or coached a camp for, have this unbelievable sense of self worth and have zero self doubt. They believe they can turn shit around. They're often wrong but their belief doesn't waiver. Ever. Might be ego. I mean who in their right mind would ever want to follow an Izzo or a K or a Saban at bama? People who believe in themselves.
Illinois has possibilities because of Chicago and Milwaukee but it will take the right guy. I know there will be a dozen who believe they're that guy.

People get paid $1 million to coach at a program whose big aspiration is to go a bowl game. Any bowl game. Would gladly take that job if I were a head coach. Champaign is a nice town too.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 pm

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

This is the right answer.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Beckman should of been fired at the end of last season based on performance alone. He made a bowl game by pulling out miracle wins against PSU and NW, which gave the AD an excuse to not shit can his ass and pay his buyout (even though they got smashed against LaTech in the bowl game... we once lost to LaTech).

Dave Brandon Jr. then had Beckman’s back when this 'scandal' came out in May (not that anyone GAF). Instead he passed on his second (or third or fourth) out to simply fire him, pay him some cash to go away and move on. Not a single person would blink an eye. But no, he waits till a fucking week before the season till he has cause enough to think he doesn't have to pay him (good luck with that).

Brilliant. Even uber-meathead Fleck isn’t egotistical enough to walk into this garbage cock of a program.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Ass Dan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

.....and there is the real reason he was fired.  They were looking for an excuse to shit can him for cause. What an abortion.

He forced kids to play hurt. This wasn't bullshit that they cooked up, he's a dickbag.
Real men play hurt.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:21 pm

I don't know. Did that AD hire him?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 am

Row your boat to Champaign

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs 7h7 hours ago
P.J. Fleck most logical candidate to replace Tim Beckman at Illinois http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25283739/illinois-favorite-after-beckman-debacle-has-to-be-pj-fleck … via @CBSSports
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:Row your boat to Champaign

P.J. Fleck most logical candidate to replace Tim Beckman at Illinois http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25283739/illinois-favorite-after-beckman-debacle-has-to-be-pj-fleck … via @CBSSports

Hypothetical question but would narduzzi have taken the Illinois job if offered to him?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:27 am

steveschneider wrote:

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs  7h7 hours ago

Hypothetical question but would narduzzi have taken the Illinois job if offered to him?
That is a good question.  I would not if I were him.  No-win situation down there. A head coaching graveyard.  A place like Pitt was actually the perfect gig for him to get his head coaching feet wet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:28 am

steveschneider wrote:

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs  7h7 hours ago

I think he might have considered it with a new AD in place.  I wouldn't touch the job with the current AD because he's probably a dead man walking.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:08 pm

steveschneider wrote:

I think he would not have. This is just me speculating wildly, but I believe he knows what him and Dantonii built here. I believe he wants to come back here someday ( hoping) he wouldn't be able to at a big ten school like Nebraska or Illinois.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next