Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

+20
Robert J Sakimano
AMwood
Cym Jim
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
Triple Sparty
I.B. Fine
Vlad
InTenSity
The_Dude
Travis of the Cosmos
Giant Moose
HT
tGreenWay
By-Tor
y2kMgrad
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
DWags
Brock Middlebrook
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-08-12, 09:49

Cym Jim wrote:
Rocinante wrote:You know the thing the English are known for? Their cuisine.

Indeed. The Brits have ruled the world in contemporary food for at least the last 10-15 years. Ever noticed that all decent chefs on your TV at English? Odd huh. There were some dark times in the 70s and 80s I will concede, and the odd Yank still complains of struggles to find decent pizza in the touristy areas of London, but let's contemporize. If you're looking for those leading the movement of fresh local food, cooked properly, prepared creatively, then get your sorry jar-sauce eating ass across the pond What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 969504605.
Just because their accent sounds like they are spitting all over themselves like a slob it doesn't make them English. Way to make assumptions bro.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce?

Post by AMwood 2015-08-12, 10:02

oral hygiene and ears that stick out?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-12, 11:04

Cym Jim wrote:
Rocinante wrote:You know the thing the English are known for? Their cuisine.

Indeed. The Brits have ruled the world in contemporary food for at least the last 10-15 years. Ever noticed that all decent chefs on your TV at English? Odd huh. There were some dark times in the 70s and 80s I will concede, and the odd Yank still complains of struggles to find decent pizza in the touristy areas of London, but let's contemporize. If you're looking for those leading the movement of fresh local food, cooked properly, prepared creatively, then get your sorry jar-sauce eating ass across the pond What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 969504605.

Mario, Tom, Giada, and Bobby might disagree with you, and my favorite Englishman was Graham Kerr. Not for his cooking, mind you, but because he got soused on camera and was a happy drunk.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-12, 11:08

British food is terrible
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-08-12, 11:08

tGreenWay wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Mario, Tom, Giada, and Bobby might disagree with you, and my favorite Englishman was Graham Kerr. Not for his cooking, mind you, but because he got soused on camera and was a happy drunk.
I'm an Alton kind of guy... I'm sure his food, etc. is tasty, but I enjoy his presentation and knowledge about what he's preparing, how he's preparing it and why he's preparing it in that way.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-12, 11:41

CORNER BLITZ wrote:British food is terrible
And brown.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-08-12, 11:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I'm an Alton kind of guy... I'm sure his food, etc. is tasty, but I enjoy his presentation and knowledge about what he's preparing, how he's preparing it and why he's preparing it in that way.

Does he still cook though? I've noticed that all the food network chefs are basically doing game shows now.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-08-12, 11:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Me too. His cutaways are a little too hokey footer my tastes, but overall he does a great job explaining scientific concepts as they relate to food. His episode on smoking meats was outstanding
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-12, 13:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I find Alton's food interesting, but his smugness distasteful. His personality needs a little more salt and a few more hours cooking slowly at a low temp to soften it up.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-08-12, 16:28

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm an Alton kind of guy... I'm sure his food, etc. is tasty, but I enjoy his presentation and knowledge about what he's preparing, how he's preparing it and why he's preparing it in that way.

I find Alton's food interesting, but his smugness distasteful. His personality needs a little more salt and a few more hours cooking slowly at a low temp to soften it up.

That'll really allow for some of the sinewy, stringy connective tissue and cartilage to break down, which really makes for some great eating by the way

- Zimmern
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-12, 16:41

Hey, all you "make it yourself" sauce snobs, how 'bout posting your recipes?
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-12, 16:57

Brock Middlebrook wrote:Hey, all you "make it yourself" sauce snobs, how 'bout posting your recipes?
Mine has no recipe, per se. Just an ingredient list:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt
tomato paste, only if it looks like it needs tightening-up

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-08-12, 17:34

I'm a fan of Velveeta.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-12, 17:55

Tim Wakefield wrote:I'm a fan of Velveeta.
No Rotel?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-08-12, 18:14

The Pantry wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:I'm a fan of Velveeta.
No Rotel?
Too soupy for me
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-08-12, 18:16

The Pantry wrote:
Brock Middlebrook wrote:Hey, all you "make it yourself" sauce snobs, how 'bout posting your recipes?
Mine has no recipe, per se.  Just an ingredient list:

Does this work on pussy too?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-12, 18:31

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Mine has no recipe, per se.  Just an ingredient list:

Does this work on pussy too?
Never needed to try that. You should ask AMwood
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-12, 19:54

The Pantry wrote:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt

https://youtu.be/Wro3bqi4Eb8
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-08-13, 12:05

The Pantry wrote:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt

fresh basil all the way. Ditch the dried stuff.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 12:42

By-Tor wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Mine has no recipe, per se. Just an ingredient list:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt

Dried works fine in sauce that simmers for 1½-2 hours
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-13, 14:42

The Pantry wrote:
By-Tor wrote: fresh basil all the way. Ditch the dried stuff.
Dried works fine in sauce that simmers for 1½-2 hours

Shocked

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 Aint-nobody
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-13, 14:47

By-Tor wrote:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt

Yeah he sounds poor...dried basil? Makes me want to vomit thinking about choosing dried basil over fresh and destroying the sauce. Might as well not even use sauce on your pasta if you're going to disrespect it like that.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-13, 14:48

By-Tor wrote:

olive oil
white onions
fresh garlic
dried oregano
dried basil
red chili flakes
crushed tomatoes
sea salt

This. And tear up some fresh basil right before serving. That's when the flavor of the oils is at its best.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 15:27

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
By-Tor wrote:fresh basil all the way. Ditch the dried stuff.

Yeah he sounds poor...dried basil? Makes me want to vomit thinking about choosing dried basil over fresh and destroying the sauce. Might as well not even use sauce on your pasta if you're going to disrespect it like that.
You guys are cooking maroons. Fresh basil is for pesto, not cooked sauces.

Even that bastion of fine Italian cuisine Olive Garden doesn't use fresh basil in red sauce

Olive Garden red sauce
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-13, 16:30

The Pantry wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

You guys are cooking maroons. Fresh basil is for pesto, not cooked sauces.

Even that bastion of fine Italian cuisine Olive Garden doesn't use fresh basil in red sauce

Olive Garden red sauce

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 502811600 Citing an Olive Garden recipe is not bolstering your argument.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 17:32

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You guys are cooking maroons. Fresh basil is for pesto, not cooked sauces.

Olive Garden red sauce

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 502811600 Citing an Olive Garden recipe is not bolstering your argument.
But, it's CB's favorite Italian place What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 502811600
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-13, 17:45

I have made a ruling based on the evidence presented.

Poster The Pantry is the winner.

Dried Basil it is.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-08-13, 20:18

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

But, it's CB's favorite Italian place What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 502811600

What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 502811600 And he probably pronounces it, "Eye-talyon."
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-13, 20:57

So are the crushed tomatoes out of a can? Or fresh?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 21:15

Triple Sparty wrote:So are the crushed tomatoes out of a can? Or fresh?
Blanching tomatoes to peel is a pain in the ass. Canned work fine, and they don't need to be San Marzano.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-13, 21:18

I still don't have an answer to my original question. BTW, since my post, I bought a jar of Fricano's sauce at D&W. I'm sure I've eaten there at some point in my life, but that shit tasted like the Ragu my wife buys.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-08-13, 21:21

Rao's was always alright to me. But yeah, making it yourself after toying with it is always going to taste the best.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-13, 21:27

Paul Newman or Classico. Again, I add a bunch of my own stuff, including sugar, to increase flavor.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-13, 21:34

OK, Rao seems to place high on every search I conduct. I saw it in the store, but I went w/Fricano's instead since it is local. I'll pay more for the out-of-state mass produced shit next time. Then, when it tastes the same, I'll probably go back to Ragu.

Thank you friends.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-08-13, 21:38

For those of you that make your own, a recipe would be appreciated.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 21:39

Triple Sparty wrote:Paul Newman or Classico. Again, I add a bunch of my own stuff, including sugar, to increase flavor.
Both brands are made with sugar, and you need to add more?

Kind of a shame most people don't know how good sauce can be without it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-13, 21:41

Rodeo Burger wrote:For those of you that make your own, a recipe would be appreciated.

I tried earlier
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-08-13, 21:46

Tragic really.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-08-13, 21:50

Triple Sparty wrote:Tragic really.

I know, my perfectly done al dente spaghetti is now cold, no sauce to keep it warm What is your favorite (store bought) pasta sauce? - Page 2 1362440668 So sad
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-13, 22:01

Rodeo Burger wrote:For those of you that make your own, a recipe would be appreciated.
Using my ingredient list it goes like this:

Sweat coarse chopped onions in olive oil over low heat until translucent with all spices except the sea salt. Add coarse diced garlic for 5-10 more minutes, then add the tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and add a little sea salt. Simmer covered 30-45 minutes and taste. Add more of the ingredients to taste and continue simmering covered, tasting occasionally. If adding more onion or garlic, sweat them first.

I hit the batch with a stick blender at the very end to smooth it all out.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next