Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying organic is a waste of money

+17
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
Nordic
InTenSity
DWags
By-Tor
Gomer
The Pantry
AMwood
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cym Jim
Herbie Green
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
steveschneider
The_Dude
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Buying organic is a waste of money Empty Buying organic is a waste of money

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 pm

http://qz.com/488851/buying-organic-veggies-at-the-supermarket-is-basically-a-waste-of-money/
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Buying organic is a waste of money Empty Re: Buying organic is a waste of money

Post by steveschneider Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Organic milk lasts longer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 pm

steveschneider wrote:Organic milk lasts longer.
The average adult doesn't need milk.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Giant Moose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Organic milk lasts longer.
The average adult doesn't need milk.

I like it in my coffee and on my cereal. My days of just drinking a glass of milk are over.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm

The real take-away in that article is that small-scale agriculture (that can take advantage of approaches like integrative pest management) is best for the environment and our health.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Turtleneck wrote:The real take-away in that article is that small-scale agriculture (that can take advantage of approaches like integrative pest management) is best for the environment and our health.

Right. It depends on what is important to you personally. If there's a market for organic, then it should be sold, but consumers need to know that organic does not necessarily equal better for you or the environment.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Turtleneck wrote:The real take-away in that article is that small-scale agriculture (that can take advantage of approaches like integrative pest management) is best for the environment and our health.

Buying organic is a waste of money 2943907172
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

The_Dude wrote:http://qz.com/488851/buying-organic-veggies-at-the-supermarket-is-basically-a-waste-of-money/
I've told people this for years.

The whole organic thing is the biggest scam since bottled water.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:14 pm

it's America.. and I'll buy what I want. Thanks.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Think globally act locally dude
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:18 pm

LooseGoose wrote:I've told people this for years.

Is there an issue where you deviate from Fox News guide to modern life?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:19 pm

think of how much money I'll save by purchasing non-organic items.. and I can then redirect those resources to more guns and bibles..

USA!! USA!!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Buying anything is a waste of money really. I prefer to loot when some dude I don't know gets shot by the police.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:25 pm

buying organic food is a waste of money.. instead, I suggest you spend money on guns.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm

You don't need money for food if you have a gun
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Cym Jim wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I've told people this for years.
God you people with the Fox News bullshit.  Would it shock you if I told you I've not watched an hour TOTAL of Fox news in the last 2 years?   Probably haven't watched 10 hours total in 4 years.   So convince yourself that somehow I'm programmed by them but you'd be dead wrong as you must be about most things with that kind of shallow thinking.

I spent years inside the organic game, I know all about it.  At one point in the late 90's, early 2000's I was selling to every Whole Foods east of the Mississippi and had been in 90%+ of those stores as a "supplying farmer".  I helped certify organic farms, I ran an organic co-op, I started, got certified and managed an organic processing plant.  

What part of that knowledge came from your fucking FOX News?   What stupid bitches you and your ilk are, throwing out what you perceive to be a grand insult based on zero knowledge.  Come talk to me about Organics great value when you want to argue the facts not cheap bullshit insults with no basis in fact.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:50 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:
God you people with the Fox News bullshit.  Would it shock you if I told you I've not watched an hour TOTAL of Fox news in the last 2 years?   Probably haven't watched 10 hours total in 4 years.   So convince yourself that somehow I'm programmed by them but you'd be dead wrong as you must be about most things with that kind of shallow thinking.

I spent years inside the organic game, I know all about it.  At one point in the late 90's, early 2000's I was selling to every Whole Foods east of the Mississippi and had been in 90%+ of those stores as a "supplying farmer".  I helped certify organic farms, I ran an organic co-op, I started, got certified and managed an organic processing plant.  

What part of that knowledge came from your fucking FOX News?   What stupid bitches you and your ilk are, throwing out what you perceive to be a grand insult based on zero knowledge.  Come talk to me about Organics great value when you want to argue the facts not cheap bullshit insults with no basis in fact.

What kind of crops were you growing?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:55 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

you seem to get angry very easily.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Buying organic is a waste of money 276803595
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Rush Limbaugh?

Slate.com?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:buying organic food is a waste of money.. instead, I suggest you spend money on guns.

you'll buy what i say and you'll like it!
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Buying organic is a waste of money 276803595

(by the way, this is organic popcorn..)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:31 pm

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Better question. Did you farm with green or red? The answer will say a lot about you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Goose just owned Jim. Lol
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:21 pm

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Very few.

Buying organic is a waste of money G9ognY0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Better question. Did you farm with green or red? The answer will say a lot about you.
My uncles were pure green, we were all Red.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:26 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:
Very few.

That's a good spread of cheeses. Goats and cows?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:44 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

My uncles were pure green, we were all Red.

You're a good man. Your uncles are questionable.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:56 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:
Very few.

Check PMs, please
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:06 pm

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:
Very few.

That's a good spread of cheeses. Goats and cows?
Some of each, that's roughly 1/2 of what we made.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 pm

This thread is missing Gomer's incredible insight and clueless diatribe into what is healthy and what is not.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 pm

The Pantry wrote:This thread is missing Gomer's incredible insight and clueless diatribe into what is healthy and what is not.  

I hold a degree from this department, so I daresay I know something about food production.   I learned enough to know you don't want to drink cow shit anyway.  But that's just common sense for the most part.

As for organic.  Yes it's overpriced.  Yes it is difficult to quantify the benefits.  There are lots of studies that say lots of things.  I can assure you this though, I won't waste any time in processing a click-bait cherry-picked bit of fluff from Quartz.com though.

From a macronutrient standpoint, an egg is an egg and a tomato is a tomato.  But all of the qualities that are bred into a massed produced red sack of bland flavored water which is bathed in chemicals and sits in a warehouse and on the shelf for an extended period of time detract from everything that is tough to quantify (micronutrients).  It sure the hell destroys the flavor.  All of the things a plant packs into itself to serve as natural defense mechanisms help us as well.  Strip that from the vegetables and you still have the vitamins.  And people will live if they eat them.  And short term there may not be a difference.  Can you discern one in a study lasting only 2 months?  Or even a year?

And eggs... cage free vs. pasture raised, I'll take the latter any day of the week.  There's a chicken that is actually going through the process of producing a viable egg/life vs a robot eating a prescribed diet, living in an environment where it has to be flooded with medicine to even survive, and cranking out egg product.  Again... those eggs will look better.  And taste better. And yeah, cost a hell of a lot more.

Is pesticide bad for you?  Maybe not?  Probably not? ??? I'm fine with having less of it.  Likewise antibiotic resistant bacteria.  Pass. Anyway... with my BMI <22, my bodyfat <10%, my resting pulse around 50 BPM, and holding my own on the ice 2-3 times a week with guys shocked to find out how old I am... I think I'm doing something right.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the food they eat, I suggest the Center for Science in the Public Interest's Nutrition Action Healthletter.  Is it gospel? No.  Are they a bit heavy handed in their views?  Perhaps.  But it's a non-profit and generally free from corporate interests; and that means a lot to me.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:14 am

LooseGoose wrote:
The_Dude wrote:http://qz.com/488851/buying-organic-veggies-at-the-supermarket-is-basically-a-waste-of-money/
I've told people this for years.

only in America can you sell bottled tap water to people with better quality tap water coming out of their own faucets at home. Bottled water is becoming a big waste of resources for no reason at all. It's not like we live in Sudan
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:59 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Is that a no?

We've done black people, abortion, rape victims, immigration, organic food . . . .What do think about evolution?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 am

Cym Jim wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Is that a no?

We've done black people, abortion, rape victims, immigration, organic food . . . .What do think about evolution?
think of the money you could spend on bibles, guns, and jesus camps for gay kids if you didn't buy organic food..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 am

Don't know about buying organic but I've never eaten a store bought tomato that tasted as good as one out of my backyard.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 am

Gomer wrote:Anyway... with my BMI <22, my bodyfat <10%, my resting pulse around 50 BPM, and holding my own on the ice 2-3 times a week with guys shocked to find out how old I am... I think I'm doing something right.
You forgot to post your pants size.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 am

DWags wrote:Don't know about buying organic but I've never eaten a store bought tomato that tasted as good as one out of my backyard.
As I said I'm all for locally grown and sourced food, that's not what organic means now and really never did.

I hit 2 farmer's markets a week when possible and you're right the food you get there is usually better quality than anything in a store organic or not.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

5'10"
160 lbs
32X32
RHR 52 bpm

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 am

Giant Moose wrote:
Gomer wrote:Anyway... with my BMI <22, my bodyfat <10%, my resting pulse around 50 BPM, and holding my own on the ice 2-3 times a week with guys shocked to find out how old I am... I think I'm doing something right.
You forgot to post your pants size.
29-30x30
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next