Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying organic is a waste of money

+17
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
Nordic
InTenSity
DWags
By-Tor
Gomer
The Pantry
AMwood
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cym Jim
Herbie Green
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
steveschneider
The_Dude
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 Empty Re: Buying organic is a waste of money

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-02, 09:06

34x32
175 lbs
9 incha
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 Empty Re: Buying organic is a waste of money

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-02, 09:39

If possible, please post fasting blood glucose. Thanks.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-02, 11:36

Organic milk is a better value because it lasts longer. The non organic stuff goes bad before I can use it all.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-02, 15:20

How about organic baby food? We buy it when its on sale. I feel a little more at ease buying it, but will buy non organic also.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-04-16, 12:44

Great story on the bullshit being fed yuppies and others on their food.....

At Tampa Bay farm-to-table restaurants, you’re being fed fiction

It’s not just Boca. At Pelagia Trattoria at International Plaza, the “Florida blue crab” comes from the Indian Ocean.

Mermaid Tavern in Seminole Heights shouts “Death to Pretenders” on its menu, but pretends cheese curds are homemade and shrimp are from Florida.

At Maritana Grille at the Loews Don CeSar, chefs claim to get pork from a farmer who doesn’t sell to them.

This is a story we are all being fed. A story about overalls, rich soil and John Deere tractors scattering broods of busy chickens. A story about healthy animals living happy lives, heirloom tomatoes hanging heavy and earnest artisans rolling wheels of cheese into aging caves nearby.

More often than not, those things are fairy tales. A long list of Tampa Bay restaurants are willing to capitalize on our hunger for the story.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-04-16, 13:58

i eat organic food and drink bottled water Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 1362440668
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 08:50

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 Fpotd526_thumb
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-05-03, 09:07

I'm interested in what the raw milk whackos think of organic food. Please let me know here. Thanks!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 09:56

Organic food ranks just behind bottled water as one of the great scams of the 20th century.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-05-03, 09:58

How is it a scam?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-05-03, 09:58

LooseGoose wrote:Organic food ranks just behind bottled water as one of the great scams of the 20th century.

Tap water is fucking disgusting dude.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-03, 10:04

steveschneider wrote:Organic milk is a better value because it lasts longer. The non organic stuff goes bad before I can use it all.

This is true.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-03, 10:07

Here's why. The fact that it's organic has nothing to do with it.

Organic milk lasts longer because producers use a different process to preserve it. According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country.

The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 10:09

Rocinante wrote:Here's why. The fact that it's organic has nothing to do with it.

Organic milk lasts longer because producers use a different process to preserve it. According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country.

The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.

Exactly....they cook it. Good bacteria, bad bacteria - all dead. Let God sort'em out.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 10:12

Triple Sparty wrote:How is it a scam?

If it's truly organic it's an inferior product at an increased price. I'd say roughly 90% of what it sold as "organic" wouldn't fit the average consumer's mental perception of "organic". Meaning most of it is grown/raised using the same intensive agricultural methods as "regular" food and has traveled the same long distances to market. The major difference being the price you pay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-05-03, 10:22

LooseGoose wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:How is it a scam?

If it's truly organic it's an inferior product at an increased price. I'd say roughly 90% of what it sold as "organic" wouldn't fit the average consumer's mental perception of "organic". Meaning most of it is grown/raised using the same intensive agricultural methods as "regular" food and has traveled the same long distances to market. The major difference being the price you pay.
I think when most people think organic, they are thinking of the small farmer, who is out toiling on the fields. This is simply not the case. Usually it is a pretty large corporate farm that has a piece of land that is certified organic. Granted, the growing process is slightly different, there are definitely less chemicals used in the fields, but the shelf life is shorter. To each their own, I don't care. I can taste the difference in some things, and others not so much.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-03, 10:35

Anyone know if organic vegetables are grown with pesticides or any other type of chemicals?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 10:37

tGreenWay wrote:Anyone know if organic vegetables are grown with pesticides or any other type of chemicals?

About Organic Produce

Contrary to what most people believe, "organic" does not automatically mean "pesticide-free" or "chemical-free". In fact, under the laws of most states, organic farmers are allowed to use a wide variety of chemical sprays and powders on their crops.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-03, 10:46

I'm very upset by this turn of events.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-05-03, 11:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm very upset by this turn of events.

I'll pray for you during this difficult time.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-05-03, 11:42

I ask for gluten free sandwiches when I go to Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. Not only that, I ask that they are prepared in a gluten free preparation area.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-05-03, 11:46

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I ask for gluten free sandwiches when I go to Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. Not only that, I ask that they are prepared in a gluten free preparation area.
My boss has a gluten allergy. Before they figured out what was wrong he lost about 20 lbs. He was a skeleton. I know its fun to joke about, but it is something that affects people. Even when eating gluten free, if even a miniscule amount of wheat is in, or touched it, he will be affected for a few days.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-03, 12:22

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Here's why. The fact that it's organic has nothing to do with it.

Exactly....they cook it. Good bacteria, bad bacteria - all dead. Let God sort'em out.

I already have a healthy gut microflora. Keep your shitty milk.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-05-03, 12:26

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I already have a healthy gut microflora. Keep your shitty milk.
Your ignorance must be blissful
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-05-03, 12:28

Hey everybody! Here we go! Milk thread!!!!! Let's do this!!!!

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 ASGtX3zBS2W58wYbCrUm_Milk%20Celebration
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-03, 12:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Hey everybody! Here we go! Milk thread!!!!! Let's do this!!!!

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 ASGtX3zBS2W58wYbCrUm_Milk%20Celebration

Kate Upton's future son?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-05-03, 13:45

I had some organic Greek yogurt mixed with some granola twife and I made on Sunday (all organic ingredients obv). It was a great bonding experience, tasted delicious and gave me the power to get through the morning.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2016-05-03, 16:53

LooseGoose wrote:Great story on the bullshit being fed yuppies and others on their food.....

At Tampa Bay farm-to-table restaurants, you’re being fed fiction

It’s not just Boca. At Pelagia Trattoria at International Plaza, the “Florida blue crab” comes from the Indian Ocean.

Mermaid Tavern in Seminole Heights shouts “Death to Pretenders” on its menu, but pretends cheese curds are homemade and shrimp are from Florida.

At Maritana Grille at the Loews Don CeSar, chefs claim to get pork from a farmer who doesn’t sell to them.

This is a story we are all being fed. A story about overalls, rich soil and John Deere tractors scattering broods of busy chickens. A story about healthy animals living happy lives, heirloom tomatoes hanging heavy and earnest artisans rolling wheels of cheese into aging caves nearby.

More often than not, those things are fairy tales. A long list of Tampa Bay restaurants are willing to capitalize on our hunger for the story.

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 502811600 These dudes

Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 15767782
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-05-03, 17:39

Isn't everything organic? Even monsantos, everything is derived of the same atoms/molecules that were created during the big bang.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-03, 18:31

Your mom is organic.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-05-03, 18:48

Just made some tacos with organic beef, homemade taco mix, homemade salsa, lettuce (not sure if organic) and shredded up some organic cheese.

The tacos shells were generic whole wheat with 40 ingredients listed... so I might die from that.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-03, 18:54

Nordic wrote:Just made some tacos with organic beef, homemade taco mix, homemade salsa, lettuce (not sure if organic) and shredded up some organic cheese.

The tacos shells were generic whole wheat with 40 ingredients listed... so I might die from that.

How hot was the salsa?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-05-03, 20:36

LooseGoose wrote:
Nordic wrote:Just made some tacos with organic beef, homemade taco mix, homemade salsa, lettuce (not sure if organic) and shredded up some organic cheese.

How hot was the salsa?

I should of clarified, neighbor-made salsa. Not hot at all unfortunately. I'm not a gardener or a chef.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-05-18, 09:55

Move over, organic: the Hemsleys say it's all about 'astrological food' now

What on earth is is agricultural astrology?

Known as 'biodynamic farming' or 'agricultural astrology', it is a food production method that "advises the planting, cultivating and harvesting of crops based on moon phases".

Liz Cotton, a buyer for Infinity Foods in Brighton, told the MailOnline: "Biodynamic is similar to organic but these farms are self-sufficient in compost, manure and feed for the animals.

"They use an astrological calendar to determine when to plant. It's a bit strange, but the eggs taste amazing - the yolks are bright sunset yellow and they taste better than organic."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-18, 10:00

I'm having an organic Amy's burrito for lunch.. pretty tasty..

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR 44 bpm
112/74 mm/Hg

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2016-05-18, 10:04

Bob, you need to cut the carbs. And start weight training at least twice a week.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-18, 10:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm having an organic Amy's burrito for lunch.. pretty tasty..

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR 44 bpm
112/74 mm/Hg

Amy?

Dear Amy?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-18, 10:13

Triple Sparty wrote:Bob, you need to cut the carbs. And start weight training at least twice a week.
I do some push-ups every now and then... and sit ups. I agree that I could stand some resistance training but I don't really enjoy that sort of thing too much.

(no excuse, really - just truthin', yo)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-18, 10:14

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm having an organic Amy's burrito for lunch.. pretty tasty..

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR 44 bpm
112/74 mm/Hg

Amy?

Dear Amy?
Buying organic is a waste of money - Page 2 000071
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-18, 10:15

NigelUno wrote:

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR 44 bpm
112/74 mm/Hg

Amy?

Dear Amy?
or..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next