Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him

+16
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
Robert J Sakimano
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Snake Plissken
kingstonlake
duffy munn
Turtleneck
The_Dude
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him Empty Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him

Post by The_Dude Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:04 pm

According to Valenti. Hopefully he sees that on film and corrects it. I know he's not quite as familiar with some of these guys but Arnett can be a difference maker and having him against the other teams 3rd DB seems like a good advantage.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him Empty Re: Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him

Post by Turtleneck Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Arnett has been great in practice.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him Empty Re: Supposedly Arnett was open all night and Cook missed him

Post by duffy munn Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 pm

According to Valenti, Funny.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:38 pm

According to Valenti? Oh, well by all means.....

The only thing he's good at recognizing are takes on a message board and using them as his material on his show.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 pm

duffy munn wrote:According to Valenti, Funny.
Exactly. Well let's not even bother reviewing the tape if Valenti said it was so
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Valenti's film work and expertise is right up there with Dave Brandon.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:52 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Valenti's film work and expertise is right up there with Dave Brandon.

This [insert season] will be a failure if they don't win it all.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:29 am

I see the haters are all out in this one
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:08 am

Blanch32 wrote:I see the haters are all out in this one

I'm stunned you like an uninformed radio voice. Stunned I tell ya.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 am

Yeah Valenti re watched every play. Who else did that?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:03 am

The_Dude wrote:

Yeah Valenti re watched every play. Who else did that?

The staff, team, and poster WhiteBoyHatcher.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 am

"Valenti" strikes me as a very unhealthy person.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:"Valenti" strikes me as a very unhealthy person.

Like he has diabetes and heart problems?

Last edited by Turtleneck on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:12 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:"Valenti" strikes me as a very unhealthy person.

Like he had diabetes and heart problems?
maybe..

I truly have no idea who he is - only from what people say on here and the other, lesser, Spartan message board that random bans Spartans for no reason at all.

however, from what I can tell, he seems really angry. Like the guy who screams a lot - about stuff of little or no importance. I suspect if you extrapolate that out to other aspects of his life (provided that he has other aspects to his life), his health is compounded exponentially.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Like he had diabetes and heart problems?
maybe..

I truly have no idea who he is - only from what people say on here and the other, lesser, Spartan message board that random bans Spartans for no reason at all.

however, from what I can tell, he seems really angry. Like the guy who screams a lot - about stuff of little or no importance. I suspect if you extrapolate that out to other aspects of his life (provided that he has other aspects to his life), his health is compounded exponentially.

The people that don't like Valenti are the same ones that will attack you anytime you say something about MSU that isn't positive.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:maybe..

The people that don't like Valenti are the same ones that will attack you anytime you say something about MSU that isn't positive.
Valenti is nothing but a shock jock/blow hard. Not surprising you are a fan.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:09 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

The dude nailed it. Lol

Long live the rant!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Haven't listened to him in years, but I will tell the story again: I was on impact 88.9 right before his show and talked to him sometimes and he was always a really nice guy and was very knowledgeable about stats and teams (I don't know how much scheming / actual football knowledge he had). I don't know if that's changed, but I'll never have a problem with the guy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:31 pm

The_Dude wrote:

Yeah, that time he called the basketball team "losers". That was awesome criticism. Well thought out and reasoned.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

He's a radio personality. I get that. But sometimes he makes valid points, not a shock jock.

The fact is Cook passed for 48% against lower tier competition. He looked unsettled a little too much. Maybe a part of that is the new WRs...but Cook didn't particularly play well or see the field all that great.

The WRs did have some drops...need to fix that. Kings needs to get more involved.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:37 pm

The_Dude wrote:

There is a difference between criticism and stupidity.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:39 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Yeah, that time he called the basketball team "losers". That was awesome criticism. Well thought out and reasoned.

Thats the 'business' part of it...needs to draw ratings for $$$ and he does a good job.

Realize that aspect of his job...his job also isn't to be an MSU fanboy.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 pm

The_Dude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Thats the 'business' part of it...needs to draw ratings for $$$ and he does a good job.

He is Huge on the east side of the state.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:51 pm

The_Dude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Wtf, you're an idiot. You just panned people for criticizing Valenti on his BS and you just said he does it for ratings. And we are supposed to take him seriously? Lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

He is Huge on the east side of the state.

Not even close to being as big of a douche as Huge
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:03 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Wtf, you're an idiot. You just panned people for criticizing Valenti on his BS and you just said he does it for ratings. And we are supposed to take him seriously? Lol.

Naw man...you do both. Take him somehwat seriously but realize other times he says stuff for shock value.

Saying ARnett was open all game and Cook missed him isn't some crazy shock jock statemen. Its just a fact after watching the game.

In fact, Arnett was likely our second best WR against WMU. He looked smooth out there. Troup really struggled. Id like to see way more Arnett and less Troup. Seems like he can be the WR we need to step up to make our offense lethal.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:22 pm

The_Dude wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Naw man...you do both. Take him somehwat seriously but realize other times he says stuff for shock value.

Saying ARnett was open all game and Cook missed him isn't some crazy shock jock statemen. Its just a fact after watching the game.

In fact, Arnett was likely our second best WR against WMU. He looked smooth out there. Troup really struggled. Id like to see way more Arnett and less Troup. Seems like he can be the WR we need to step up to make our offense lethal.

So he says things for shock value but he's not a shock jock. Got it.

Valenti caters to people exactly like you.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:36 pm

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:37 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

No....its just not hard to decipher when a statement is made for shock jock purposes or when its a legit point.

Arnett being open all game and Cook missing him for the most part isnt one of those 'shock' statements.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:34 pm

The_Dude wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

No....its just not hard to decipher when a statement is made for shock jock purposes or when its a legit point.

Arnett being open all game and Cook missing him for the most part isnt one of those 'shock' statements.

So Mikey rewatched the game and determined than Arnett was open. Did he have an isolated camera on #5 ?

Valenti sucks.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:49 pm

I just don't understand the Valenti hate. The guy is a true Spartan and brought us:

"pucker pucker pucker"
"timeouts are not like cellphone minutes; they don't carry over"
"choked on applesauce"

These are part of the MSU lexicon and we should hold him in some reverence for that, at least.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Rocinante wrote:I just don't understand the Valenti hate.  The guy is a true Spartan and brought us:

"pucker pucker pucker"
"choked on applesauce"

These are part of the MSU lexicon and we should hold him in some reverence for that, at least.

Some people take life a bit too seriously.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:57 pm

The_Dude wrote:

Depends on whether it's true or not. You didn't re-watch the game, so you're just taking his word as gospel.

I have re-watched the game, but wasn't paying close attention to the receivers (was focusing mostly on the line play). However, I'll try to skim through it again. But the fan complaint about "not seeing open receivers" always seems weird to me for a couple of reasons. One is that it depends on when a receiver is open. A QB going through his reads is only going to see each WR at one point in their route, not the whole route, and many fans notice a receiver breaking open at the end of the play when his defender starts to break off him reacting to where the pass is actually going. Also, you only see a fraction of field on the TV while the QB is going through his reads, so you don't see if a safety is closing in, for example.

Not saying Valenti is wrong, just that I'm not going to take his word for it, especially someone who's job it is to generate discussion (and Arnett easily generates the most discussion for anyone with so few snaps over the last 4 years).

From what I noticed watching the game, Cook's problem was more that he was missing open receivers when throwing to them on a few occasions. 4-5 drops, plus 4-5 poor passes makes a huge difference in how his game was perceived. In the 4th quarter alone, he leads Burbridge too far so he can't get his foot down, costing us 4 points, then on the next drive overthrows an open Price (?) on third down giving the ball back to WMU for their last drive. He had his share of great throws, too.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Rocinante wrote:I just don't understand the Valenti hate. The guy is a true Spartan and brought us:

"pucker pucker pucker"
"choked on applesauce"

I stopped listening to Mikey when he was mocking Tony Lippett in 2012. Calling him " Tony Terrific" is the most condescending way possible.

This was long after the fallen hard bullshit. I will not hold him in any type of reverence.

His only goal on the radio is to piss people off. Tanfan with a microphone.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:38 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I just don't understand the Valenti hate. The guy is a true Spartan and brought us:

"pucker pucker pucker"
"choked on applesauce"

I stopped listening to Mikey when he was mocking Tony Lippett in 2012. Calling him " Tony Terrific" is the most condescending way possible.

This was long after the fallen hard bullshit. I will not hold him in any type of reverence.

So a WR that gets hit in the face with a football cannot be ripped on? Ok
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Mikey is a successful sports radio host. We know that because he went from Lansing to WXYT to team up with Terry Foster over 10 years ago and his contract keeps getting renewed.

He's successful because he knows how to generate interest/ratings and that's what pays his salary. Mike Valenti is a bomb thrower in a media market that does better when umaa is successful. He's smart and knows even backhanded "compliments" rev up the ummie listenership that makes up the bulk of his audience.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Blanch32 wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

As always, you miss the point. Lippett had star written all over him even when he was struggling. Valenti chose to use his pulpit to rip the kid.

He sucks and so do you.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:49 pm

"pucker pucker pucker"
"choked on applesauce"

I've never once heard, let alone used those terms.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:07 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I just don't understand the Valenti hate.  The guy is a true Spartan and brought us:

"pucker pucker pucker"
"choked on applesauce"

I've never once heard, let alone used those terms.  

Did you become a MSU football fan when Dantonio was hired or what?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:25 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

As always, you miss the point. Lippett had star written all over him even when he was struggling. Valenti chose to use his pulpit to rip the kid.

He sucks and so do you.

It seems like you are mad that Valenti's job description isn't MSU cheerleader.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next