Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose, what's in the oven?

+26
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
TheReal_LWS
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
Nordic
SpartanInNH
NigelUno
The_Dude
SeeRockCity
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
steveschneider
DWags
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
Other Teams Pursuing That
30 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Loose, what's in the oven? Empty Loose, what's in the oven?

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 13:04

What kind of pies are you making?
Anything with unAmerican pineapple?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Loose, what's in the oven? Empty Re: Loose, what's in the oven?

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 13:22

lol, I feel like I'm on HeeHaw.

Well tomorrow is dinner for the Up North part of the family(my kids and I) along with my parents. So not the traditional holiday meal. Lasagna, Leg of Lamb, Squash, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy. Desserts I'm about to go fire the oven up - Apple pie, banana cream pie, Chocolate Chocolate Chip cookies and 1 big pan of Peanut Butter Fudge. 12 people for that one.

Sunday is the entire clan - Sisters, nieces, nephews, etc. That's the whole shebang - The whole Turkey/Ham and sides main meal. Desserts requested - Pumpkin Squares, Raspberry Pie, Custard Pie, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies, Date filled cookies - that will be mostly Saturday work. 25 or so for this one, so I'll be a busy man Sunday morning.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 13:33

Solid. Are we invited for pie? Sounds delicious, Loose.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 13:38

Turtleneck wrote:Solid. Are we invited for pie? Sounds delicious, Loose.

Which pie? I'm overstocked on mince meat, rhubarb and blueberries right now. demand seems to be way down for them this year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 13:43

I'll take rhubarb and blueberry, but want some of
your banana cream...as bad as that sounds.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 13:46

Turtleneck wrote:I'll take rhubarb and blueberry, but want some of your banana cream...as bad as that sounds.

lol, well I've never made banana cream from scratch so that one could be risky. No pudding mixes, no topping mixes, I'm making the filling and meringue from scratch so we'll see how it turns out.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 13:47

I will volunteer to take the first bite.
I here for you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 19:42

My normal crappy photo skills on the Apple.   Doing the fudge in a bit then the Banana Cream in the AM

Loose, what's in the oven? BcIVW1S
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 21:16

I have the same tea pot only in red. Pie looks good. See you in the morning. Do I need to fire two shots or one?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 21:26

Turtleneck wrote:I have the same tea pot only in red. Pie looks good. See you in the morning. Do I need to fire two shots or one?

Three shots is the universal lost signal. Just put the fudge in the fridge. Can confirm it's damned good. As an old fart 90% of my liquid intake is tea. I suspect Amazon thinks I'm a confused Brit since I buy about 15 varieties a year from them to change things up a bit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 21:29

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I have the same tea pot only in red. Pie looks good. See you in the morning. Do I need to fire two shots or one?

Three shots is the universal lost signal. Just put the fudge in the fridge. Can confirm it's damned good. As an old fart 90% of my liquid intake is tea. I suspect Amazon thinks I'm a confused Brit since I buy about 15 varieties a year from them to change things up a bit.

Great, now we have two confused Brits posting here. Cym Jim and LooseGoose.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-24, 21:30

Do you drink LG? Just curious.

I bought a nice 3 bone roast to cook tomorrow. I'm going to cook it in the driveway at low temps and then transport to my parents for dinner and finish off at high temps in the oven there. I'll try to remember to post pics. Hopefully I can get the pit fired up before the kids wake up.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-12-24, 21:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Do you drink LG? Just curious.

I bought a nice 3 bone roast to cook tomorrow. I'm going to cook it in the driveway at low temps and then transport to my parents for dinner and finish off at high temps in the oven there. I'll try to remember to post pics. Hopefully I can get the pit fired up before the kids wake up.

This thread is about desserts. This is not a murder thread.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 21:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Do you drink LG? Just curious.

I was a pretty heavy drinker up into my late 30s/early 40s and now have pretty much tailed off.  I'll have a beer now and then in the summer with my kids, maybe a finger or two of bourbon once a month.   I mostly quit because of my heart and getting tired of sore headed mornings.

Edited once I thought of when I quit most of my drinking.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2015-12-24, 21:40; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-24, 21:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a nice 3 bone roast to cook tomorrow. I'm going to cook it in the driveway at low temps and then transport to my parents for dinner and finish off at high temps in the oven there. I'll try to remember to post pics. Hopefully I can get the pit fired up before the kids wake up.

Do post them, I'm jealous of your meat skills. I don't have the patience to do the things you do. I'm a very basic steak or chicken 1/4s on the grill guy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-24, 22:08

Did a four bone roast this evening on the rotisserie with some cherry wood. Came out a tad past medium rare but still great.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-24, 22:18

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a nice 3 bone roast to cook tomorrow. I'm going to cook it in the driveway at low temps and then transport to my parents for dinner and finish off at high temps in the oven there. I'll try to remember to post pics. Hopefully I can get the pit fired up before the kids wake up.

Do post them, I'm jealous of your meat skills. I don't have the patience to do the things you do. I'm a very basic steak or chicken 1/4s on the grill guy.

Much of it doesn't really take much patience. Trust me, I have the patience of an ADHD 8 year old. Your pies are much more intricate.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-12-25, 00:30

Pie sucks
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-25, 00:50

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Pie sucks
Cake sucks 100x worse.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-12-25, 01:07

The Pantry wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Pie sucks
Cake sucks 100x worse.
So true
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-25, 01:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Cake sucks 100x worse.
So true
Not into baking but can appreciate a well made pie. Pretty much anything except pumpkin.

Hats off to LG getting his pie thang on Loose, what's in the oven? 3493939353
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-12-25, 23:40

I took some pics for you guys. It was pretty good. My family thought it was excellent but I think I can do better. I wasn't super happy with how it all played out but that's how it goes. Can't overthink it. Gotta get the meat to the temp in the window you have.

Roast - decent looking. Nice marbling for Choice (bought it at Fresh Thyme for $6.97/lb. 3 bone roast, it was almost 10 lbs). It was tied but I'm not sure why. The bones were still affixed.

Rubbed - Coarse grind black pepper and (channeling my Pantry) pink Himilayan salt. Didn't want to over do the salt hookup because others don't like salt as much as I do.

Cooked - on the big pit in the driveway, with Stubbs briquettes and hickory wood chunks. Kept temps in the 200-250 range. I think I put it on about 9:40 and pulled it off around 12:15 with temps in the 110 range throughout. I rotated it once. Kept it in an aluminum pan to collect drippings and frankly I didn't want it to get too much smoke because a fire that low is going to have some dirty smoke at the beginning unless you can start it 2-3 hours in advance and I wasn't afforded that much time.

Cut a hunk off at my parents. Probably 2 servings. I'm the only one who likes it rare/medium rare. Lame. I set this aside and put the rest of the roast in my mom's oven at 550 in the pan uncovered.

After 20 minutes we were getting a nice crust but still only hovering around 115. My wife in particular won't eat it until the pink is almost gone. I covered it with foil and cooked it another 30 minutes at 500+ until I was at 150 throughout. At that point I threw my "rare" piece in until it hit 115.

Let it rest. Rare on right. You will notice not much difference in hue. That fucking shit on the left was 158-162 on the Thermapen. By any definition well. But my parents and wife were still nervous and thought they were eating medium rare.

Loose, what's in the oven? 23893528861_6448bb9354_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23347842474_43babfb814_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23867812162_a57af1671c_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23608220289_eb2cdca11a_z

Loose, what's in the oven? 23867806852_684f5594c4_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23680365700_66f1dd0a8e_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23349234323_019ce28bee_c

Loose, what's in the oven? 23680361330_941de9e8e0_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-12-26, 00:00

Looks good WBH.

Can't believe people who like their meats overcooked
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-12-26, 01:13

Used Method X on a 7 pound rib roast today...Came out perfect.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-26, 02:39

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Looks good WBH.

Can't believe people who like their meats overcooked
Agree. Refuse to do it for anyone. If they want it cooked more, they can throw it in the microwave.

That said, looks pretty good WBH. Have never tried Himilayan salt. Been using Celtic sea salt over 15 years. Comes in 22# bags for about $90. It comes a little damp in the bag, which usually lasts me 4-5 years. I keep the bag twist-tied in a 5 gallon bucket. Air dry portions for a day for use in the salt grinder. Use it for everything but potato and pasta water...kosher salt for those.

Celtic sea salt

Got a rib roast at Kroger a couple days ago. They had nothing as big as I wanted (~8#) in the case and everything was bone-in...not what I wanted for the rotisserie. Curiously, they were all tied also.

Guy behind the counter went back and cut another one for me. Cut the bones off and tied the roast like I wanted for $7.99#. Was about 8.5# with the bones. Put the bone rack in the freezer for later use.

Let the roast sit out at room temp about 4 hours. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Put it on the spit and in the Performer. Had the thing setup with hot lump charcoal and some cherry wood chunks on one side only and a water pan with catch foil over the top in the middle. Started around 350° on the lid thermometer. Choked the top vent down until in the 300 range. Added some Stubbs briquettes and another lump of cherry around 45-50 minutes. Shut the motor off and checked with the Thermapen maybe 45-50 minutes later...low 90's. Added a few more briquettes.

Checked it again 20 minutes later...higher than expected at 125°. Off to rest under foil.

Reduced some red wine and beef stock. Added mushrooms I had sear/sauteed earlier in a cast iron pan. Added strained drippings (pretty much all fat) from the BBQ catch foil along with drippings from the meat that had been sitting in a half chaffing dish.

Meat ended up about 135 after 30 minutes, a little past intended target. Still, better than any rib roast I've done before. The mushroom au jus sealed the deal.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-12-26, 04:54

Very nice
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-26, 08:40

DWags wrote:Very nice

And as long as you can find that smoker in pink you can be cooking like this today.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-26, 09:06

Since we're doing post meal pics - this is the apple pie after yesterday. The one thing that took me longest was to get the filling to be firm enough not to run all over the plate (I hate that) yet juicy enough to be good.

Had a late request for a blueberry so today is blueberry, raspberry and custard.

Loose, what's in the oven? X8MGHHs

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-12-26, 09:31

Looks damn good. I get way into making meat pies. Usually get inspired in the winter and over the years I've really perfected my pastys.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-26, 09:51

steveschneider wrote:Looks damn good. I get way into making meat pies. Usually get inspired in the winter and over the years I've really perfected my pastys.

My daughter has wanted me to try those, never have. She sometimes takes extra crust home if I have it and does one.

Though I don't make them I do like eating them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-26, 10:14

Loose, can you post a creampie pic?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-26, 10:17

Giant Moose wrote:Loose, can you post a creampie pic?

I will once I do it, haven't yet. It's sort of on the backburner for today. I might, might not - depends on the ambition level.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-12-26, 10:18

LooseGoose wrote:

I will once I do it, haven't yet.   It's sort of on the backburner for today.  I might, might not - depends on the ambition level.
Loose, what's in the oven? 1494614055
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-12-26, 17:23

Well the banana cream didn't make the cut. I got a last minute request for a chocolate cream so made that instead, you can see the forlorn bananas in the background.

Loose, what's in the oven? WZWhIPa

The topping goes on in the morning.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-12-26, 17:35

steveschneider wrote:Looks damn good. I get way into making meat pies. Usually get inspired in the winter and over the years I've really perfected my pastys.
Made some a couple years ago.  Lot of work.  The dough is key...gotta use cold lard. My crimping skills suck.

Loose, what's in the oven? -pasty10
Loose, what's in the oven? -pasty11
Loose, what's in the oven? -pasty12
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-02, 19:30

My mother was coming up this weekend and the local stores all had strawberries on sale so I had a plan.
I unthawed some rhubarb yesterday with the intent of making a strawberry rhubarb pie today, my mom really
likes them and I can tolerate them. Well as often happens life got in the way and no chance to bake or cook
until after dinner tonight. So I talked her into making a quick Bisquick shortcake while I worked on a
strawberry/rhubarb topping. Sort of like strawberry shortcake only with a thicker topping including rhubarb.

Just got done trying it and I've got a keeper here, it was really, really good. One of my great pleasures of
life is a nice simple strawberry shortcake for dessert but from now on I think I'll be considering whether I
should have made this instead.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-02, 19:36

Now you're just being some kind of baked goods tease.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-02, 19:39

Turtleneck wrote:Now you're just being some kind of baked goods tease.

Nah, that'll be tomorrow when I post some pics - didn't take any tonight and I don't
want to get that shit out or I'll be eating more of it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-01-02, 19:47

This thread is inspiring me to put some more effort into cooking.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-02, 19:53

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Now you're just being some kind of baked goods tease.

Nah, that'll be tomorrow when I post some pics - didn't take any tonight and I don't
want to get that shit out or I'll be eating more of it.

I'm adding you to my ban list.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next