Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose, what's in the oven?

+26
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
TheReal_LWS
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
Nordic
SpartanInNH
NigelUno
The_Dude
SeeRockCity
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
steveschneider
DWags
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
Other Teams Pursuing That
30 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 Empty Re: Loose, what's in the oven?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This thread is inspiring me to put some more effort into cooking.

When I found myself retired with time on my hands it's been a fun journey for me. It started with wanting to replicate a dish my Grandmother made when I was a kid, no one had a recipe because she didn't use them. After 15-20 tries to have my sisters and mother agree that I'd gotten as close as anyone ever had was satisfying.

Through that I found I kinda enjoyed making a dessert or dish 2-3-4 times, working in suggestions from multiple recipes and tweaking it until it was what I liked. I end up having to give away about 50% of what I make but my kids and other relatives/neighbors enjoy that part.

I spent many years working with animals, a dairy/cheese plant and organic foods - others have seen me rant here about some of the bullshit out there. But that said, it is nice to make some cookies and know exactly what 7 ingredients are in them after reading some of the commercial labels with 22 ingredients and 14 of them you have no idea what they are.

So it's reasonably healthy, relatively cheap, you learn something new while challenging yourself a bit and your friends, neighbors and relatives love you. What's not to like?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I just made chocolate chip cookies for the first time the other day....damn do I suck at baking

the cookie dough was legit though, should have just ate that out of the bowl instead of putting it in the oven
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:I just made chocolate chip cookies for the first time the other day....damn do I suck at baking

the cookie dough was legit though, should have just ate that out of the bowl instead of putting it in the oven

I suck at making chocolate chip cookies, have never gotten them "right". I'll bet I've tried 25 times since my kids
love them they'll eat the misses but I get them either too "cakey' or too thin. Can't seem to hit that sweet spot like
the big ones you buy in the store.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:42 am

Anything for the Super Bowl?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am

Pineapple upside down cake.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am

Pineapple Bundt Cake.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:07 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Pineapple upside down cake.

tGreenWay wrote:Pineapple Bundt Cake.  

Why don't you guys all move back to Vermont or whatever third world commie country you came from.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 am

Goose has probably got a few wild game meat pies in the oven, too. Mmmmm.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm just sitting here trying to get motivated to start cooking, I had my grandson all weekend so just got done cleaning the kitchen from a 2 year old making breakfast with me this morning. But.....already got some peel & eat shrimp on ice, and soon to hit the kitchen for the serious baking. Made the guacamole and 8 layer dip last night. We're just ordering pizzas for the main meal.

This was a request day so making banana bread for the oldest son, apple pie for the middle son and sugar cookies for my daughter. I've got a ton of extra apples so thinking about making an apple crisp or apple cake. The son in law loves ice cream I've got the 1/2 & 1/2 and cream here to churn ice cream sometime during the game - that should go well with the NY Diesel.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:35 pm

You really need to open a shop. LooseGoose has brand appeal, too. You could amass billions and run for president. Everybody's doing it these days.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Plus, the lower peninsula could use a great pasty shop
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Kids are coming over to make homemade ice cream later tonight so a couple apple pies are cooking.....thought I'd share an uncooked and nekkid picture of them.   Soaking in my secret sauce of spices, molasses and more, just before the top crust goes on.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 0NusKMD
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Kids are coming over to make homemade ice cream later tonight so a couple apple pies are cooking.....thought I'd share an uncooked and nekkid picture of them.   Soaking in my secret sauce of spices, molasses and more, just before the top crust goes on.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 0NusKMD

Looks great. What kind of apples do you use?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:46 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Kids are coming over to make homemade ice cream later tonight so a couple apple pies are cooking.....thought I'd share an uncooked and nekkid picture of them.   Soaking in my secret sauce of spices, molasses and more, just before the top crust goes on.

If I'm buying apples usually Galas or Granny Smiths. Had a neighbor bring me 1/2 bushel of windfalls a week or so ago and I have no idea what these are but the price was right - free. We'll soon know how they worked out.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:59 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If I'm buying apples usually Galas or Granny Smiths. Had a neighbor bring me 1/2 bushel of windfalls a week or so ago and I have no idea what these are but the price was right - free. We'll soon know how they worked out.

If they lack flavor, just add bourbon to them. Or throw the pies out and add bourbon to yourself.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:17 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

If they lack flavor, just add bourbon to them. Or throw the pies out and add bourbon to yourself.

So far you have tried to score old pizza crust and thrown out pie. Doing ok?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:37 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I'm not worried about the flavor, just the texture.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:40 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What kind of pie are we talking about?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

What kind of pie are we talking about?

Apple....but the key for me is to flavor the filling while cooking it down a bit to avoid the dreaded "puffed crust".

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

So far you have tried to score old pizza crust and thrown out pie. Doing ok?

Learn to read, kemosabe. I only tried to score the old pizza crusts. There's a great organization in Lansing that can teach old coots like yourself how to read.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Blueberry Cobbler, waiting it's star turn as dessert in a few hours.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 6VSvlQe
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Looks great.

When are you gonna post some pasty pics?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:37 pm

The Pantry wrote:Looks great.

I'll have to make some the next time I'm making pie crust.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 pm

The Pantry wrote:Looks great.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:51 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Blueberry Cobbler, waiting it's star turn as dessert in a few hours.

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a blueberry cobbler today.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:11 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Blueberry Cobbler, waiting it's star turn as dessert in a few hours.

Let me know when you're passing through Grayling some day, I'll leave a freebie with my son for you to pick up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:12 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Let me know when you're passing through Grayling some day, I'll leave a freebie with my son for you to pick up.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 55953254
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:21 pm

I am going to hide out here until the gun threads burn themselves out.

So, Loose, tell me about baking stuff. What do I have to do? After I turn on the over, what do I do next?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Turtleneck wrote:I am going to hide out here until the gun threads burn themselves out.
So, Loose, tell me about baking stuff. What do I have to do? After I turn on the over, what do I do next?

You need a crew to eat your productions or you'll turn into a mountain.  I wait for family gatherings or plan to give stuff away.  2 of the pies from last week were given away.   One went to the road commission garage for being nice guys and fixing my mail box after they plowed it down, the other went to the women's shelter in town.

You need to think of something you want that you can't buy a decent facsimile.  My grandmother was an incredible baker, but never wrote a recipe down in her life.  There are things she made that I seriously would consider donating a testicle to know the secrets.  She made the best pies I've ever had anywhere, everything from scratch and from her garden.  2 of my favorites were mincemeat and raisin pies, I knew I could never duplicate the mincemeat since she made her own mincemeat so I set off on a quest to try and duplicate her raisin pie.  This was roughly 10 years ago and I was still employed, so didn't have the time I do today.   Occasionally I'd make a pie or two on the weekend using the store bought crusts and eventually got the pie "close enough" except for the crust sucking.  That was the genesis.

Once I sorta retired for the 2nd time a few years ago I was bored stiff so started baking cookies to try and duplicate Grandma's Molasses cookies.  From there it was back into pies, only this time making my own crusts.  This will sound silly but one of the highest compliments I've ever gotten in my life was this Christmas when my sister told me my crusts were the closest she'd ever tasted to Grandma's.  I nearly cried..  

Now I do it to please my kids, my other relatives and to give stuff away.   It helps fill days and is productive in it's own way.   I write down and refine my recipes so if one of my kids ever wants to get into it they'll have a starting point.  

It's really like anything else in life, if you enjoy the challenge and are willing to work at it good things happen.  For me the good thing has been having knowledge I can make delicious baked goods with 5-8 ingredients seep into my other cooking.  It's really not that hard to get away from the prepackaged, precooked shit with an encyclopedic ingredient list and simplify what you're putting in your body.  If I were 20 years younger I'd be working on a way to make a living from this, but those days are behind me.

How's that for a ramble?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:04 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I am going to hide out here until the gun threads burn themselves out.

You need a crew to eat your productions or you'll turn into a mountain.  I wait for family gatherings or plan to give stuff away.  2 of the pies from last week were given away.   One went to the road commission garage for being nice guys and fixing my mail box after they plowed it down, the other went to the women's shelter in town.

You need to think of something you want that you can't buy a decent facsimile.  My grandmother was an incredible baker, but never wrote a recipe down in her life.  There are things she made that I seriously would consider donating a testicle to know the secrets.  She made the best pies I've ever had anywhere, everything from scratch and from her garden.  2 of my favorites were mincemeat and raisin pies, I knew I could never duplicate the mincemeat since she made her own mincemeat so I set off on a quest to try and duplicate her raisin pie.  This was roughly 10 years ago and I was still employed, so didn't have the time I do today.   Occasionally I'd make a pie or two on the weekend using the store bought crusts and eventually got the pie "close enough" except for the crust sucking.  That was the genesis.

Once I sorta retired for the 2nd time a few years ago I was bored stiff so started baking cookies to try and duplicate Grandma's Molasses cookies.  From there it was back into pies, only this time making my own crusts.  This will sound silly but one of the highest compliments I've ever gotten in my life was this Christmas when my sister told me my crusts were the closest she'd ever tasted to Grandma's.  I nearly cried..  

Now I do it to please my kids, my other relatives and to give stuff away.   It helps fill days and is productive in it's own way.   I write down and refine my recipes so if one of my kids ever wants to get into it they'll have a starting point.  

It's really like anything else in life, if you enjoy the challenge and are willing to work at it good things happen.  For me the good thing has been having knowledge I can make delicious baked goods with 5-8 ingredients seep into my other cooking.  It's really not that hard to get away from the prepackaged, precooked shit with an encyclopedic ingredient list and simplify what you're putting in your body.  If I were 20 years younger I'd be working on a way to make a living from this, but those days are behind me.

How's that for a ramble?

I do not have anybody to eat my productions unless I bring them to work (WBH might be on to something about living too far away). If I showed up to work with baked goods, I think people would be weirded out. Plus a couple people have a monopoly on the baked goods thing and they might think I am trying to muscle in on their territory. I would hate to get stabbed over cookies.

I also don't have any old recipes. So, I am pretty much left looking at your pics. It's for the better. I am not supposed to be eating that kind of stuff anyway. But I still do from time-to-time.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

How's that for a ramble?

You're a righteous dude, Goose. The world needs more people like you in it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Yum. I would like to take up baking like you do. With all of my free time I suppose.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm

LooseGoose wrote:If I were 20 years younger I'd be working on a way to make a living from this, but those days are behind me.

Colonel Sanders started KFC in his mid 60s
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yum. I would like to take up baking like you do. With all of my free time I suppose.

You don't have free time WBH.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yum. I would like to take up baking like you do. With all of my free time I suppose.

Shut up OTPT or I will stab you.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Go to work tomorrow. See what happens to free time, OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:21 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Shut up OTPT or I will stab you.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 2 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:26 pm

He could if he hired an au pair. Here's a nice one from Latvia.

Natalia
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:27 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:If I were 20 years younger I'd be working on a way to make a living from this, but those days are behind me.

Colonel Sanders started KFC in his mid 60s

My SIL opened her bakery in her early 50s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Loose if you live forever maybe when I retire I can move up yonder and we can combo. I will cook the dead flesh over seasoned wood, and you serve up the desserts. We can call it Goose Loonies assuming that name hasn't been taken.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next