Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose, what's in the oven?

+26
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
TheReal_LWS
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Jake from State Farm
Rocinante
Nordic
SpartanInNH
NigelUno
The_Dude
SeeRockCity
I.B. Fine
Triple Sparty
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
steveschneider
DWags
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
Other Teams Pursuing That
30 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 Empty Re: Loose, what's in the oven?

Post by tGreenWay Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 20:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

You don't have free time WBH.

He could if he hired an au pair. Here's a nice one from Latvia.

Natalia

Holy shmokes.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 20:53

Turtleneck wrote:I do not have anybody to eat my productions unless I bring them to work (WBH might be on to something about living too far away). If I showed up to work with baked goods, I think people would be weirded out. Plus a couple people have a monopoly on the baked goods thing and they might think I am trying to muscle in on their territory. I would hate to get stabbed over cookies.

I also don't have any old recipes. So, I am pretty much left looking at your pics. It's for the better. I am not supposed to be eating that kind of stuff anyway. But I still do from time-to-time.

lol, if you ever get the urge let me know and I'll post a recipe for what you're thinking of eating. It's really pretty easy to make a lot of stuff, especially cookies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 20:56

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:If I were 20 years younger I'd be working on a way to make a living from this, but those days are behind me.

Colonel Sanders started KFC in his mid 60s

True enough but I don't have the fire anymore, who knows maybe someday I will again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 20:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Loose if you live forever maybe when I retire I can move up yonder and we can combo. I will cook the dead flesh over seasoned wood, and you serve up the desserts. We can call it Goose Loonies assuming that name hasn't been taken.

lol, wasn't that the Probie/Red Wings joint from the playoffs in the mid 80s? In Edmonton?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 20:59

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Loose if you live forever maybe when I retire I can move up yonder and we can combo. I will cook the dead flesh over seasoned wood, and you serve up the desserts. We can call it Goose Loonies assuming that name hasn't been taken.

lol, wasn't that the Probie/Red Wings joint from the playoffs in the mid 80s? In Edmonton?

Yep, 87 or 88. Petr Klima, too.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 21:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yum. I would like to take up baking like you do. With all of my free time I suppose.

Been thinking about this post. When my grandkids are here we usually cook something, whether it's cookies for snacks or pancakes for breakfast. It's a fun way to spend time with them and they love eating something they've had a hand in making. I know it may sound silly or self serving but I like to think they're learning as the measure, mix and create. And I guess even if they aren't......pffft....it's still fun.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 22:04

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yum. I would like to take up baking like you do. With all of my free time I suppose.

Been thinking about this post. When my grandkids are here we usually cook something, whether it's cookies for snacks or pancakes for breakfast. It's a fun way to spend time with them and they love eating something they've had a hand in making. I know it may sound silly or self serving but I like to think they're learning as the measure, mix and create. And I guess even if they aren't......pffft....it's still fun.

We do this. Don't get me wrong. Cookies and pancakes and waffles and french toast and sometimes the odd cake or two. Agree, it's good fun and they eat that stuff.

I'm a big time fruit pie guy, though. I LOVE me some blueberry/cherry pie. Key lime. Lemon meringue. Cobbler. Yum. fucking yum. The fruits of your labor are way along the lines of my dessert sweet tooth. Would love to learn how to make that stuff. My kids, and wife even, have the chocolate/ice cream/donut sweet tooth which I could take or leave.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 22:06

For Turtleneck.....these are my old "go to" cookies especially if you have someone that likes chocolate.   My daughter is my chief taster/critic and I'm pretty sure these would rank 2nd or 3rd on her list.  

One tip that I'd tell anyone and I learned the hard way - buy and use parchment paper on your cookie sheets, the difference is amazing NOTHING EVER sticks.

==============
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 C butter softened
1-1½ C Sugar
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp Vanilla
4 C Flour
1 C Cocoa
1½ Tsp Baking Soda
2 C chips

Cream Butter, Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla
Mix flour, cocoa, soda
Combine & mix well
Blend in chips.

Roll into chestnut size balls for crisper cookies or ping pong ball size for cakier cookies.

Bake 10 minutes at 350.  Leave on pan for 3-4 minutes after removing from oven.
===========

No matter what I said up there these cookies tend to be a little "cakey" they won't be the flat chocolate chip cookies you get in a store.

This is an old picture I dug up - I know it's old because no parchment paper.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 ZrzHOmq
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 22:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

We do this. Don't get me wrong. Cookies and pancakes and waffles and french toast and sometimes the odd cake or two. Agree, it's good fun and they eat that stuff.

I'm a big time fruit pie guy, though. I LOVE me some blueberry/cherry pie. Key lime. Lemon meringue. Cobbler. Yum. fucking yum. The fruits of your labor are way along the lines of my dessert sweet tooth. Would love to learn how to make that stuff. My kids, and wife even, have the chocolate/ice cream/donut sweet tooth which I could take or leave.

Ah....I missed that part. The key part on the fruit pies is the crust followed by balancing the thickness and sweetness of the filling. I hate runny pies, I want to be able to cut a slice and not have the adjoining filling drain into the void. Also hate anything that's too sweet, I find most recipes I have to cut the sugar by 30-40%.

I've been doing the std fruit pies for a couple years now, just started branching into the "cream" pies in the last 6 months or so. In the summer I've put an ad on Craig's looking for whatever people have to sell - fruits, berries, rhubarb, etc. It's fun to meet the people and sometimes I end up trading pies for ingredients.

I keep threatening to do a key lime but never have. I continue to be amazed at what people pay for pies. GT Pies are $25-40, Achatz and others are $17 and up. Yeah they definitely look fancier than mine but I'll fight'em on flavor. I think you're right though that a joint with great BBQ, fruity desserts and some ice cream would make bank.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 22:46

Might have to do this pasty thing on my own since everyone South of up North keeps fucking it up...

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 -pasty10

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 Pasty110

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 Pasty210
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 23:19

LooseGoose wrote:For Turtleneck.....these are my old "go to" cookies especially if you have someone that likes chocolate.   My daughter is my chief taster/critic and I'm pretty sure these would rank 2nd or 3rd on her list.  

One tip that I'd tell anyone and I learned the hard way - buy and use parchment paper on your cookie sheets, the difference is amazing NOTHING EVER sticks.

==============
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 C butter softened
1-1½ C Sugar
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp Vanilla
4 C Flour
1 C Cocoa
1½ Tsp Baking Soda
2 C chips

Cream Butter, Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla
Mix flour, cocoa, soda
Combine & mix well
Blend in chips.

Roll into chestnut size balls for crisper cookies or ping pong ball size for cakier cookies.

Bake 10 minutes at 350.  Leave on pan for 3-4 minutes after removing from oven.
===========

No matter what I said up there these cookies tend to be a little "cakey" they won't be the flat chocolate chip cookies you get in a store.

This is an old picture I dug up - I know it's old because no parchment paper.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 ZrzHOmq

Thanks! I am going to give this a try this weekend. Those look delicious.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Feb 2016 - 18:51

Cobbler Update - Honestly on Sunday night I was a bit disappointed in the cobbler. Looked good but the flavor wasn't quite what I wanted. No surprise because cobblers are one thing I've never gotten quite where I wanted them. Last night we had some more of it and oh my had things changed. Turns out this cobbler is one of those foods that needs time for the flavors to all come out. Anyway it was REALLY good last night, so before the last piece bit the dust tonight I took a picture. You can see the blueberries and their juice have soaked into the breading, the texture is almost jelly like. Now it's a thumb's up.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 2KLMfiT

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 TJfEJgD
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:19

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:For Turtleneck.....these are my old "go to" cookies especially if you have someone that likes chocolate.   My daughter is my chief taster/critic and I'm pretty sure these would rank 2nd or 3rd on her list.  

Thanks! I am going to give this a try this weekend. Those look delicious.

Waited all day for pictures.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:21

Haha. It didn't happen. I may or may not have went to the store without my phone and tried to buy stuff from memory. It didn't go well.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:31

Turtleneck wrote:Haha. It didn't happen. I may or may not have went to the store without my phone and tried to buy stuff from memory. It didn't go well.

lol. This week is going to be Strawberry extravaganza. Meijer must be getting the Florida berries in, (4) # containers for $5. Helluva a good deal. My daughter is going to be in Saginaw Tuesday so starting Weds I'll be having some fun.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 5 Mar 2016 - 17:24

Finally got time today to mess with the Strawberries - 1st up was my attempt to replicate the Elias Brothers Strawberry pie. Raw cut Strawberries surrounded by a filling of mashed strawberries. It's in the fridge now, I may get another shot of it once it comes out later tonight.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 D3ndm61

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 Qtt5Jtb
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 5 Mar 2016 - 17:26

2nd and 3rd pies were a filling of strawberries, rhubarb & blueberries.   I've never tried that combination before but was told it was good.   We'll see tomorrow when they've cooled and we cut into them.

A picture of the filling as I was preparing it:

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 NQvGuus
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 15:40

On Saturday 1 sister came to visit so I made her one of the above strawberry pies since she'd mentioned wanting to try it.   Along with that made a custard and a coconut custard for my mom and other sister.  So pretty bland stuff.   But Meijer had strawberries on sale again so I had them bring me 6-8 quarts of extras, today I made a couple things and froze the extra berries.

1st up was a recipe I'd never tried.   A Strawberry Cream Cheese cobbler.  1st picture is prior to cooking, 2nd picture is cooked.   And I'm about 10 minutes from pulling a 2nd new recipe from the over - strawberry bread.  Sounds much like zucchini bread only with strawberries.  We'll see how it tastes later tonight, got my kids coming over.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 JompU0b

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 0NaBeGB
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:18

Loose, you ever buy pies from the Mennonites over in Mio?
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:28

Triple Sparty wrote:Loose, you ever buy pies from the Mennonites over in Mio?

Hi,
Not for 10-15 years. I always felt like they chintzed on the fillings. They were runny and I didn't like them much.

Just took the strawberry bread out of the oven.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 XsfZCBq

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:38

Your post about custard pie reminded me that is only time I've tried custard pie. Not a fan. Fruit pies look good. Easter is cake and chocolate season, though.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:43

Triple Sparty wrote:Your post about custard pie reminded me that is only time I've tried custard pie. Not a fan. Fruit pies look good. Easter is cake and chocolate season, though.

Custard is one of my favorites, a viewed not shared by many including most of my family. I've got a standing request from one of my daughters in law for a chocolate cake I made a couple times a few years ago involving black coffee. It was pretty good, so you're saying this weekend might be the time for that?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:49

LooseGoose wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:Your post about custard pie reminded me that is only time I've tried custard pie.  Not a fan. Fruit pies look good. Easter is cake and chocolate season, though.

Custard is one of my favorites, a viewed not shared by many including most of my family.  I've got a standing request from one of my daughters in law for a chocolate cake I made a couple times a few years ago involving black coffee.   It was pretty good, so you're saying this weekend might be the time for that?
Ever make a butterscotch pie? Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 361471007
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 16:57

I.B. Fine wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Custard is one of my favorites, a viewed not shared by many including most of my family.  I've got a standing request from one of my daughters in law for a chocolate cake I made a couple times a few years ago involving black coffee.   It was pretty good, so you're saying this weekend might be the time for that?

Nope.....I like butterscotch chip cookies though so I'd probably like it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 17:57

LooseGoose wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

I think we have my mother's recipe laying around her someplace, if I find it, I'll send it to you, just so I get a sample.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Mar 2016 - 18:26

I.B. Fine wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I think we have my mother's recipe laying around her someplace, if I find it, I'll send it to you, just so I get a sample.

Send it over and I'll send you pie #2, gotta use #1 to make sure I got it right.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 13:44

Today was refrigerator day, pictures later - made a new one "peanut butter pie", it sounds good at least. And I think I finally got the texture/flavor of rice pudding right.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 13:56

Not much of a sweets guy. Have you ever made a pasty pie?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 14:04

The Pantry wrote:Not much of a sweets guy. Have you ever made a pasty pie?

lol, nah. I've thought about it more than once, just never have done it. We're doing a little get together tonight for my Son in Law's birthday on Tuesday so the peanut butter thing is for him. He loves my peanut butter concoctions (fudge and bars) so I thought I'd try a new one for him. The rice pudding is for Easter tomorrow, though my daughter will probably raid it tonight.

Someday I'll have to make a bunch of crust so I can try freezing pasties. Have you ever done that? If so, one question - should they be cooked then frozen or frozen raw to be cooked when they come out of the freezer?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 14:12

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Not much of a sweets guy. Have you ever made a pasty pie?

lol, nah. I've thought about it more than once, just never have done it. We're doing a little get together tonight for my Son in Law's birthday on Tuesday so the peanut butter thing is for him. He loves my peanut butter concoctions (fudge and bars) so I thought I'd try a new one for him. The rice pudding is for Easter tomorrow, though my daughter will probably raid it tonight.

Someday I'll have to make a bunch of crust so I can try freezing pasties. Have you ever done that? If so, one question - should they be cooked then frozen or frozen raw to be cooked when they come out of the freezer?
Probably better to bake them first. Think the moisture from the mixture when freezing and then thawing would screw up the dough.

Pasty shops around here sell them frozen and they are always baked first.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 14:14

Use cold lard when making dough for pasties. Say "no" to Crisco
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 15:39

LooseGoose wrote:Today was refrigerator day, pictures later - made a new one "peanut butter pie", it sounds good at least. And I think I finally got the texture/flavor of rice pudding right.

Peanut butter pie is very southern. Holy fucking hell is it delicious. Warning, cut small slices, it is very rich.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 20:47

SeeRockCity wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Today was refrigerator day, pictures later - made a new one "peanut butter pie", it sounds good at least. And I think I finally got the texture/flavor of rice pudding right.

Peanut butter pie is very southern. Holy fucking hell is it delicious. Warning, cut small slices, it is very rich.

SeeRock nailed this one, very rich but good. SiL and Daughter loved it.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 MkC18rC
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 20:50

The rice pudding - this one I still need to work on a bit. Thought it wasn't thickening up quite enough so cooked it for 5 minutes longer - ended up tasting ok but really kinda too thick.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 CAWeUE4

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 32Umwvm

Next up, on whatever day I get motivated to make crusts are my 1st crack at key lime pie and IBFine's Mom's Butterscotch pie.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 20:50

I hate you Loose.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 21:02

Turtleneck wrote:I hate you Loose.

But I love you because you're not a power mad Mod like Travis. All you need to do for one of these is let me know when you're passing through Grayling - I'll leave it at my son's work for you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 26 Mar 2016 - 21:32

SeeRockCity wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Today was refrigerator day, pictures later - made a new one "peanut butter pie", it sounds good at least.   And I think I finally got the texture/flavor of rice pudding right.  

Peanut butter pie is very southern.  Holy fucking hell is it delicious.  Warning, cut small slices, it is very rich.
I have a long story about peanut butter pie from 1983, maybe I'll share it tomorrow.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Apr 2016 - 16:04

Since Floyd has decided to hold out on his peanut butter pie story I thought I'd share today's efforts. I needed a couple of pies to give to the neighbors so made a couple of nice easy Apple pies. Followed those with one I've been threatening for months but hadn't done, Lemon meringue. They look ok but I won't have flavor reports for a few hours yet.

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 H9w3w0x

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 9V0PDbq

Loose, what's in the oven? - Page 3 EBo39lH

PS IB - Still have the butterscotch spooled up for somewhere down the line.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 24 Apr 2016 - 16:06

I loose travis
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 24 Apr 2016 - 16:10

Looks good Goose.

I made some salsa yesterday. Good stuff.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next