Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Pasty Thread

+26
Rick Saunders
kingstonlake
PennSpartan
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
Rocinante
AvgMSUJoe
The Pantry
SawGreen
Senior Dickfist
BleacherSwill
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
Cameron
Robert J Sakimano
Cym Jim
Triple Sparty
TheReal_LWS
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
DWags
Floyd Robertson
tanfan!
GRR Spartan
30 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Official Pasty Thread Empty The Official Pasty Thread

Post by Guest 2016-08-10, 18:14

1st we can follow MLive's search for Michigan's best -

What makes a great pasty? Plus, keep making picks for Things to Do, Eat and See in the U.P.

The Official Pasty Thread CpgigfIWcAA2ec1

.GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- First of all, thanks for all the comments, emails and Facebook comments on our latest adventure -- the search for great tasting pasties, as well as Things to Do, Eat and See in the U.P.

Your "Yooper Love" is undeniable.

It won't be long before "Michigan's Best" reporter Amy Sherman and I hit the road to explore many of your recommendations.

Thanks again!

In the meantime, I sat down with U.P native -- and good friend Rob "Wob" Wanhatalo of The Mitten Brewing Co. -- to deconstruct the perfect pasty.

He learned to make them from his grandmother, and we talked about what makes the perfect pasty.

Check out the video above for the replay.

We also convinced Mitten Brewery server Lauren to take the plunge and taste her first pasty. Make sure to check the end of the video for her reaction.

For the record:

Wob says the perfect pasty must include a "good crisp crust, ground beef and must be seasoned well." And "as I was taught...more potato than rutabaga, more rutagaba than carrot, more carrot than onion, and just the right amount of seasoning."

Oh, he prefers ketchup with his pasty. But it's acceptable to have it with gravy or even butter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Official Pasty Thread Empty Re: The Official Pasty Thread

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-08-10, 18:29

Has to be beef.
Has to have carrots, rutabaga and potato in small cubes, tiny chopped onions in a tender crust made with lard and brushed a bit of butter to finish.
Always with gravy.

Chicken pasties are sacrilege and turkey pasties put you on the express train to Hell.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2016-08-10, 18:53

All of those things mentioned make a good traditional pasty but Irontown Pasties in Negaunee makes an AMAZING chicken pot pie pasty when you're not in the mood for the traditional and an even better spicy jalapeño cheddar pasty.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-10, 18:56

Motown Spartan wrote:All of those things mentioned make a good traditional pasty but Irontown Pasties in Negaunee makes an AMAZING chicken pot pie pasty when you're not in the mood for the traditional and an even better spicy jalapeño cheddar pasty.

Poor Pantry is going to melt down reading this.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 19:20

LooseGoose wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:All of those things mentioned make a good traditional pasty but Irontown Pasties in Negaunee makes an AMAZING chicken pot pie pasty when you're not in the mood for the traditional and an even better spicy jalapeño cheddar pasty.

Naw.  He's talking about dishes that have little in common with a true pasty and were unfortunately mis-named by their illiterate creators to include the word "pasty".
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 19:49

Use to be a great pasty place in Negaunee called Red Onion. It closed and was supposedly reopened under the Dobbers name (based in Escanaba I think).

Just looked at a map. Irontown looks to be in the same location Red Onion was. What happened to Dobbers?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2016-08-10, 19:57

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Naw.  He's talking about dishes that have little in common with a true pasty and were unfortunately mis-named by their illiterate creators to include the word "pasty".

Pasty is a meat pie with various fillings.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-10, 19:58

I've been looking pretty pasty lately.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-10, 20:00

Tanfan! wrote:I've been looking pretty pasty lately.

Not enough sun on your recent vacay?

Wait, that doesn't even matter. It's gotta be impossible to get pasty living in FL.

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2016-08-10, 20:03; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2016-08-10, 20:00

The Pantry wrote:
Use to be a great pasty place in Negaunee called Red Onion. It closed and was supposedly reopened under the Dobbers name (based in Escanaba I think).

Just looked at a map. Irontown looks to be in the same location Red Onion was. What happened to Dobbers?

Not sure. The people that own Irontown bought it from Gramma T's in 2011 or 2012. I've only known it as Gramma T's and Irontown.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-10, 20:03

Onliest pasty I ever ate south of the bridge was my moms. If it ain't made north of the straights, I ain't eatin it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-10, 20:05

Tanfan! wrote:I've been looking pretty pasty lately.

Tough call, take the lid off get sun on the face but burn the dome. Protect that bald dome and face turns a whiter shade of pale.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 21:04

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Use to be a great pasty place in Negaunee called Red Onion. It closed and was supposedly reopened under the Dobbers name (based in Escanaba I think).

Not sure. The people that own Irontown bought it from Gramma T's in 2011 or 2012. I've only known it as Gramma T's and Irontown.
My memories of Red Onion go back to the early 80's. Forget what street it was on but it was just a little south of US41 on the west side. IIRC there was a train overpass a little farther south of 41. Been a long time. Maybe it was a different north-south cross street...? Please be a sweetheart and research the history of the Irontown location for me...the owners probably know it.

They were a bit on the small side but Red Onion made awesome pasties. No fucking around with chicken or veggie pasties back then. No gravy or pot pie shit either. Not quite as good as Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium but much better than Lehto's on US2.

Pasties light me up a little...pretty sure it's the rutabaga. Red Onion's were like no other. Stopped there on the way back from the Keweenaw one time and bought a bunch. Ate three (maybe four) on the road before stopping at a motel in Mackinaw City for the night. That night and rest of the trip down to Detroit the next day were awful. Couldn't stop farting and they smelled terrible. Kept the windows open most of the trip.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 21:28

GRR Spartan wrote:Has to be beef.
Has to have carrots, rutabaga and potato in small cubes, tiny chopped onions in a tender crust made with lard and brushed a bit of butter to finish.
Always with gravy.

Chicken pasties are sacrilege and turkey pasties put you on the express train to Hell.
Carrots are not necessary to the flavor. They are put in by pasty places mostly as filler.

Gravy = complete blasphemy. Pasties are meant to be eaten with your hands. Do you eat mashed potatoes and gravy with your hands?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 21:36

Fuck the rutabaga. It should stay in the ground like God intended.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 21:47

tGreenWay wrote:Fuck the rutabaga. It should stay in the ground like God intended.
Love rutabaga. Staple at Thanksgiving next to the mashed potatoes, both covered with turkey gravy.

no rutabaga = not a pasty
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-10, 22:49

DWags wrote:

Onliest pasty I ever ate south of the bridge was my moms. If it ain't made north of the straights, I ain't eatin it.
There's a couple decent pasty places down here. Barb's on Main Street in Clawson has been there long as I can remember. Weldon's has been at 15 Mile & Dequindre for at least 20 years. Pretty sure both have roots to the UP. They are still good but both have gone downhill. Pasties seem to get smaller, less meat in them...all while their prices keep jumping up.

I've become really tired of pasties that are mostly potato and crust. Have considered offering constructive criticism with them but figured it would probably fall on deaf ears.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-08-10, 23:21

I like gravy on my chicken pasty when I'm up north in Clare.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 23:35

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Fuck the rutabaga. It should stay in the ground like God intended.
Love rutabaga. Staple at Thanksgiving next to the mashed potatoes, both covered with turkey gravy.

no rutabaga = not a pasty

If I wanted to live like a pioneer, then I'd serve root vegetables at every dinner from November thru March. Fuck rutabaga. It's a piece of shit.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-10, 23:40

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I like gravy on my chicken pasty when I'm up north in Clare.

The Official Pasty Thread 1966794946 The Official Pasty Thread 1966794946 You needed to slip a milk reference into this for the complete effort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-08-10, 23:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I like gravy on my chicken pasty when I'm up north in Clare.

The Official Pasty Thread 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-08-10, 23:49

LooseGoose wrote:

The Official Pasty Thread 1966794946 The Official Pasty Thread 1966794946 You needed to slip a milk reference into this for the complete effort.

Aw shit. Completely forgot about milk. Skim only.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-08-10, 23:52

I see that tSwill twitter is promoting the Pasty thread. Roc must be bored.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 00:04

You guys (except maybe DWags) suck and will never understand pasty.

Piss off. Pour tons of gravy and ketchup on your exceptionally shitty Albies pasty tomorrow
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-11, 02:33

The Pantry wrote:You guys (except maybe DWags) suck and will never understand pasty.

Piss off. Pour tons of gravy and ketchup on your exceptionally shitty Albies pasty tomorrow

Mmm mmm mmm. Albies, now that's a good pasty. It's great with chicken gravy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-08-11, 08:49

The Pantry wrote:
Always with gravy.

Carrots are not necessary to the flavor. They are put in by pasty places mostly as filler.

Gravy = complete blasphemy. Pasties are meant to be eaten with your hands. Do you eat mashed potatoes and gravy with your hands?
The Pantry wrote:
Always with gravy.

Carrots are not necessary to the flavor.  They are put in by pasty places mostly as filler.

Gravy = complete blasphemy.  Pasties are meant to be eaten with your hands.  Do you eat mashed potatoes and gravy with your hands?  

I'm told only once as an adult and I was really drunk.

I like a bit of gravy on the side to dip the beef pasty.   I am a fan of Roy's in Houghton.  Have inlaws in the UP who have friends who retired to Houghton.  They make a Roys run when they visit and request Roys when the friends come down from Houghton.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-11, 08:52

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:

There's a couple decent pasty places down here. Barb's on Main Street in Clawson has been there long as I can remember. Weldon's has been at 15 Mile & Dequindre for at least 20 years. Pretty sure both have roots to the UP. They are still good but both have gone downhill. Pasties seem to get smaller, less meat in them...all while their prices keep jumping up.

I've become really tired of pasties that are mostly potato and crust. Have considered offering constructive criticism with them but figured it would probably fall on deaf ears.

Tried the Clawson place once a while back, was dry, too much potato and the crust actually stuck to the roof of my mouth when I first bit into it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-08-11, 09:20

GRR Spartan wrote:Has to be venison.
Always with gravy.

FIFY
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-08-11, 09:26

LooseGoose wrote:1st we can follow MLive's search for Michigan's best -

What makes a great pasty? Plus, keep making picks for Things to Do, Eat and See in the U.P.

.GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- First of all, thanks for all the comments, emails and Facebook comments on our latest adventure -- the search for great tasting pasties, as well as Things to Do, Eat and See in the U.P.

Your "Yooper Love" is undeniable.

It won't be long before "Michigan's Best" reporter Amy Sherman and I hit the road to explore many of your recommendations.

Thanks again!

In the meantime, I sat down with U.P native -- and good friend Rob "Wob" Wanhatalo of The Mitten Brewing Co. -- to deconstruct the perfect pasty.

He learned to make them from his grandmother, and we talked about what makes the perfect pasty.

Check out the video above for the replay.

We also convinced Mitten Brewery server Lauren to take the plunge and taste her first pasty. Make sure to check the end of the video for her reaction.

For the record:

Wob says the perfect pasty must include a "good crisp crust, ground beef and must be seasoned well." And "as I was taught...more potato than rutabaga, more rutagaba than carrot, more carrot than onion, and just the right amount of seasoning."

Oh, he prefers ketchup with his pasty. But it's acceptable to have it with gravy or even butter.

Is that Jimmer Negamanee on the right?

Also, anyone that puts ketchup on their pastie should be shot.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-08-11, 09:27

TheReal_LWS wrote:

That escalated quickly.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-11, 09:44

TheReal_LWS wrote:

If you have to put Ketchup on a pasty, you've bought the wrong pasty, or it just isn't good enough. But that's not as insane as the ketchup on a hot dog idiots.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-08-11, 09:46

DWags wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

If you have to put Ketchup on a pasty, you've bought the wrong pasty, or it just isn't good enough. But that's not as insane as the ketchup on a hot dog idiots.

You and i have had our differences in the past, but to this I say AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2016-08-11, 10:14

The Pantry wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

My memories of Red Onion go back to the early 80's. Forget what street it was on but it was just a little south of US41 on the west side. IIRC there was a train overpass a little farther south of 41. Been a long time. Maybe it was a different north-south cross street...? Please be a sweetheart and research the history of the Irontown location for me...the owners probably know it.

They were a bit on the small side but Red Onion made awesome pasties. No fucking around with chicken or veggie pasties back then. No gravy or pot pie shit either. Not quite as good as Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium but much better than Lehto's on US2.

Pasties light me up a little...pretty sure it's the rutabaga. Red Onion's were like no other. Stopped there on the way back from the Keweenaw one time and bought a bunch. Ate three (maybe four) on the road before stopping at a motel in Mackinaw City for the night. That night and rest of the trip down to Detroit the next day were awful. Couldn't stop farting and they smelled terrible. Kept the windows open most of the trip.

Did some checking. Irontown used to be Gramma T's which used to be the Red Onion which was owned by the Homeire family. It's located on Teal Lake Ave.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 17:36

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You guys (except maybe DWags) suck and will never understand pasty.

Mmm mmm mmm. Albies, now that's a good pasty. It's great with chicken gravy.
dick
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 17:42

GRR Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Carrots are not necessary to the flavor. They are put in by pasty places mostly as filler.

The Pantry wrote:
Carrots are not necessary to the flavor.  They are put in by pasty places mostly as filler.

Gravy = complete blasphemy.  Pasties are meant to be eaten with your hands.  Do you eat mashed potatoes and gravy with your hands?  

I'm told only once as an adult and I was really drunk.

I like a bit of gravy on the side to dip the beef pasty.   I am a fan of Roy's in Houghton.  Have inlaws in the UP who have friends who retired to Houghton.  They make a Roys run when they visit and request Roys when the friends come down from Houghton.
Never heard of Roy's but haven't been to the Keweenaw since '97. How long has Roy's been there?

Next time up there, try the pasties at Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium and let me know what you think.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 17:45

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:My memories of Red Onion go back to the early 80's. Forget what street it was on but it was just a little south of US41 on the west side. IIRC there was a train overpass a little farther south of 41. Been a long time. Maybe it was a different north-south cross street...? Please be a sweetheart and research the history of the Irontown location for me...the owners probably know it.

Did some checking. Irontown used to be Gramma T's which used to be the Red Onion which was owned by the Homeire family. It's located on Teal Lake Ave.
Thanks. Was pretty sure it was the same location.

Would love to have Red Onion's old recipe.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 17:47

DWags wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:

The truth
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 18:00

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:There's a couple decent pasty places down here. Barb's on Main Street in Clawson has been there long as I can remember. Weldon's has been at 15 Mile & Dequindre for at least 20 years. Pretty sure both have roots to the UP. They are still good but both have gone downhill. Pasties seem to get smaller, less meat in them...all while their prices keep jumping up.

Tried the Clawson place once a while back, was dry, too much potato and the crust actually stuck to the roof of my mouth when I first bit into it.
Agree with your assessment. The dryness is because they cut down on the amount of meat/fat. The ratio of meat to the rest of the ingredients is wrong. Weldon's is pretty much the same.

Still buy pasties from both when I have a craving. Have developed a method to put the fat back in and make them less dry. Cut them in half when hot or warm and apply thin slivers of cold unsalted butter before each bite.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-11, 18:06

Not sure if Barb's or Weldon's use lard in the dough...might use Crisco. Like GRR stated, the dough has to be made with lard.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-11, 18:11

I might try creating an Asian-Yooper Fusion pasty this weekend. Tree fungus mushrooms, broccoli, pea pods, bean sprouts, chunks of some type of seafood or a fish that won't flake apart, or maybe go with a sliced tofu in fish sauce, then cover the dough with a soy/subghum sauce. Mmmmmmmmmm.... Olie would love it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next