Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

+30
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
CORNER BLITZ
I.B. Fine
kingstonlake
Da Mayor
DWags
AnomanderRake
Cameron
duffy munn
Nordic
TheReal_LWS
Tyler Durden
Turtleneck
Space Lord
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
SawGreen
The Pantry
Death Roe
Clarett's Folly
CheesySpartan
GRR Spartan
Herbie Green
MattyFresh
Floyd Robertson
Tim Wakefield
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
34 posters

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 Empty Re: 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

Post by Guest 2017-08-14, 11:58

Spartan Basketball‏Verified account @MSU_Basketball 2m2 minutes ago
More
Happy Birthday to Spartan legend, NCAA Champion, and 5x NBA Champion @MagicJohnson!

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DHM5bmNWAAAEXH7
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 Empty Re: 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business.

Post by Guest 2017-08-15, 12:27

Matt Norlander‏Verified account @MattNorlander 1h1 hour ago
More
Matt Norlander Retweeted Jeff Goodman
Duke has ONE player returning who averaged more than 8 MPG. It is far from the “clear No. 1” when accounting for rosters @ Zona, MSU, Kansas

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN
More
Duke is clear No. 1 on paper, but Blue Devils were No. 1 last year. Still have concerns about point guard play, chemistry, how pieces fit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-15, 12:33

Fran Fraschilla‏Verified account @franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago
More
If Michigan State's backcourt matures (& makes shots) I could see Spartans best lineup with Miles Bridges at PF, his best college position.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-15, 19:45

MSU Football EQ‏ @SpartanFB_eq  5m5 minutes ago
More
Suton with a visit to the EQ Room today. Buena suerte con Madrid Movistar Estudiantes.

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DHTt1SMXgAIamDX
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 20:13

LooseGoose wrote:Fran Fraschilla‏Verified account @franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago
More
If Michigan State's backcourt matures (& makes shots) I could see Spartans best lineup with Miles Bridges at PF, his best college position.

I had been saying that all along but I eventually became convinced it can't happen. Assuming Tum Tum and Winston never play together you are left with Mcquaid and Langford at the 2/3. Am I forgetting someone? If not, Bridges will actually play close to zero minutes at the 4 for the entire season.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-15, 20:37

I think Izzo feels like he owes it to Miles to play him at the 3 almost exclusively to help get him ready for the NBA. That was part of the equation and a big part of the reason he wanted to come back - to get better and get himself league ready so he didn't have to spend time in the DL. I guess that could change but I think that's the mindset right now.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 21:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think Izzo feels like he owes it to Miles to play him at the 3 almost exclusively to help get him ready for the NBA. That was part of the equation and a big part of the reason he wanted to come back - to get better and get himself league ready so he didn't have to spend time in the DL. I guess that could change but I think that's the mindset right now.

I wonder if there is any truth to that. Personally, I think it is a bs narrative.

Izzo being short sighted again in roster management is what happened. Beyond that, I think it was more about chemistry and this special collection of talent. Bridges can play any of 2-4 and be one of the best in college basketball at any of them which makes position definitions meaningless. And that translates to the NBA where they wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of turning him into a shooting guard if he plays power forward next season
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-15, 21:38

Did you pay attention to any of the articles, interviews, the press conference itself, etc?

Izzo said he wouldn't even listen to Miles about coming back until when they were driving around he told him that he wanted to get more work and practice in at the 3 so he didn't have to spend time in the NBADL/Gatorade League. Izzo said that was a legitimate reason and when he started thinking it was actually going to happen.

He wants to win a National Championship, likes it here, etc is part of the equation for sure. But that was a real acknowledged fact by both of them.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-15, 21:39

To expand on that, he wants to get better at ball handling, creating his own shot, playing off the dribble, etc. All actual things that people named Miles Bridges and Tom Izzo said.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-15, 21:42

Herbie Green wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think Izzo feels like he owes it to Miles to play him at the 3 almost exclusively to help get him ready for the NBA. That was part of the equation and a big part of the reason he wanted to come back - to get better and get himself league ready so he didn't have to spend time in the DL. I guess that could change but I think that's the mindset right now.

I wonder if there is any truth to that.  Personally, I think it is a bs narrative.

Izzo being short sighted again in roster management is what happened.  Beyond that, I think it was more about chemistry and this special collection of talent.  Bridges can play any of 2-4 and be one of the best in college basketball at any of them which makes position definitions meaningless.  And that translates to the NBA where they wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of turning him into a shooting guard if he plays power forward next season

I know, right?

Clearly Izzo should have known Schilling AND Carter would get hurt and come back for another year, and that Bridges would turn down the NBA.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 22:08

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

I wonder if there is any truth to that.  Personally, I think it is a bs narrative.

Izzo being short sighted again in roster management is what happened.  Beyond that, I think it was more about chemistry and this special collection of talent.  Bridges can play any of 2-4 and be one of the best in college basketball at any of them which makes position definitions meaningless.  And that translates to the NBA where they wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of turning him into a shooting guard if he plays power forward next season

I know, right?

Clearly Izzo should have known Schilling AND Carter would get hurt and come back for another year, and that Bridges would turn down the NBA.

Which one of those guys were going to play shooting guard next season?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 22:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:To expand on that, he wants to get better at ball handling, creating his own shot, playing off the dribble, etc. All actual things that people named Miles Bridges and Tom Izzo said.

There is a certain amount of truth to that. He needs to improve guard skills. Even if he ends up playing the 4 in the NBA that would be to his benefit. But this is just bs spin dude. Izzo is taking a huge risk that I don't think he even wanted to take. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you yourself said that Miles coming back would be a disaster because "Izzo needs to embrace the one and done and prove he can get them to the league"
There is the game and there is the narrative. I am more about the former. I know the narrative has worked against Izzo but the real story has been pretty successful. And one of the best chapters is about to be written.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-15, 22:33

Herbie Green wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:To expand on that, he wants to get better at ball handling, creating his own shot, playing off the dribble, etc. All actual things that people named Miles Bridges and Tom Izzo said.

There is a certain amount of truth to that. He needs to improve guard skills. Even if he ends up playing the 4 in the NBA that would be to his benefit. But this is just bs spin dude. Izzo is taking a huge risk that I don't think he even wanted to take. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you yourself said that Miles coming back would be a disaster because "Izzo needs to embrace the one and done and prove he can get them to the league"
There is the game and there is the narrative. I am more about the former. I know the narrative has worked against Izzo but the real story has been pretty successful. And one of the best chapters is about to be written.

Yes I did say that (though I don't think I used the word 'disaster') and Izzo himself acknowledged it. I don't think much of the above is 'spin' as Izzo said most of it himself and after 20 years or so, I actually completely believe everything that comes out of his mouth. If he hasn't proven he's honest and forthcoming I don't know who has.

He said he was pushing Miles out the door and not taking him seriously about coming back and during their drive he basically demanded legitimate reasons why he should come back. "Getting better prepared" for the NBA and not spending next season in the NBADL were the reasons he cited as the first legitimate eyebrow raisers.

It's not like we have some Angel of the Breslin beat writers spinning some whimsical narrative, this stuff came out of the man's mouth himself.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 22:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Yes I did say that (though I don't think I used the word 'disaster') and Izzo himself acknowledged it. I don't think much of the above is 'spin' as Izzo said most of it himself and after 20 years or so, I actually completely believe everything that comes out of his mouth. If he hasn't proven he's honest and forthcoming I don't know who has.

He said he was pushing Miles out the door and not taking him seriously about coming back and during their drive he basically demanded legitimate reasons why he should come back. "Getting better prepared" for the NBA and not spending next season in the NBADL were the reasons he cited as the first legitimate eyebrow raisers.

It's not like we have some Angel of the Breslin beat writers spinning some whimsical narrative, this stuff came out of the man's mouth himself.

So the main reason Bridges is coming back is to play the 3 so he doesn't end up in the D-league? Yeah, Izzo is honest to a fault but I think he just finally had to give him the answer that he wanted to hear to get him off his back.
Izzo could not and would not accept the truth that he wants to come back to college because he likes it and his teammates and wants to win a national title.
That is not a good business decision.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-15, 22:58

I think it's both Herbie. It's kinda splitting hairs.

Regardless I do not think we will see Miles at the 4 much this year.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 23:09

Regardless, the dude is legit. Hopefully Izzo putting individual goals above team and his failure to bring in another guard won't cost us a national title.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-15, 23:15

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I know, right?

Well...you just said Bridges could.

But...I'd go with Langford and McQuaid.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-15, 23:23

NigelUno wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

So are you going to play Mcquaid 40 minutes at the 2 and Langford 40 minutes at the 3?

Or do you not actually know wtf you are talking about?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-15, 23:31

Herbie Green wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So are you going to play Mcquaid 40 minutes at the 2 and Langford 40 minutes at the 3?

Or do you not actually know wtf you are talking about?

Why would Langford play 40 minutes at the 3, if Bridges is there?

That wouldn't make much sense.

Someone here doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Want to take a guess?

Hint...it's you.

Another hint...it's you.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-16, 08:41

Herbie Green wrote:Regardless, the dude is legit. Hopefully Izzo putting individual goals above team and his failure to bring in another guard won't cost us a national title.

"Cost us" ?? 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 502811600 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 502811600 2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 502811600 It's too bad that idiot Izzo didn't think of filling your team out properly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-08-16, 08:47

Herbie, dude, you need to chill out.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-08-16, 09:16

LooseGoose wrote:Spartan Basketball‏Verified account @MSU_Basketball  6h6 hours ago
More
It may not look right, but our lefties make it look like it is #LeftHandersDay

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DHHsXroV0AAR5U7
2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DHHsXrxUAAAp3Qx

:)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-08-16, 10:25

Another wing would be nice. I'm not sold on mcquaid, but if he can play some solid defense (if) and hit some 3s throw his ass out there. Better than tum.

What's our starting lineup?

Winston
Langford
Bridges
Jackson
Ward

? NATTY!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-16, 10:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Another wing would be nice. I'm not sold on mcquaid, but if he can play some solid defense (if) and hit some 3s throw his ass out there. Better than tum.

What's our starting lineup?

Winston
Langford
Bridges
Jackson
Ward

? NATTY!

41-0!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-16, 16:45

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DHYO4JNWsAACfH0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-08-16, 17:05

Fuck Duke
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-08-16, 17:07

Oh I forget about the stupid early December b10 games so we can have the conference Tournament in new York lol
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-16, 18:06

Only 2 home games in February.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-08-17, 22:45

It is often more of a curse than a blessing understanding the game.
I cant wait to find out the issues this team will have in February
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-08-18, 08:06

39-0
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-08-18, 08:29

Herbie Green wrote:It is often more of a curse than a blessing understanding the game.

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 Chicken-little
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-18, 16:54

Scouting college basketball's five best players at the five different positions

Small forwards
Rank
Player
School
Class
Height
2016-17 numbers
Miles Bridges
Michigan State
Sophomore
6-7
16.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-08-18, 17:14

Herbie Green wrote:It is often more of a curse than a blessing understanding the game.

Shouldn't you already know Socrates?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-08-18, 17:26

JFC.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-18, 17:39

Nordic wrote:Fuck Duke

This.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-19, 09:06

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago
More
Only 41 days until college basketball season officially begins......#countdown
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-08-31, 20:01

Can't believe it hasn't been posted yet.

https://twitter.com/MSU_Basketball/status/903395879230607361

Spartan Basketball‏Verified account
@MSU_Basketball
Following
More
Then ➡️ Now

Always #SpartanDawgs

#tbt

2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DImBwgkXYAEqP9Q2017/18 Hoops Thread - Unfinished Business. - Page 9 DImBwhEWAAYeKlU
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-08-31, 20:04

Bailey Hall!
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-08-31, 20:07

What an insult to magic. Couldn't even do the pose right.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-31, 20:07

Wakes, did you get my answer?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next