Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags 2017-11-22, 19:01

Chocolate creame would be gone tonight at the Wags house. Looks great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 20:00

DWags wrote:Chocolate creame would be gone tonight at the Wags house. Looks great.

I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow once I add the whipped cream. ;-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-22, 20:06

I'll take the blueberry please.

I have a butterflied 23 lb bird in the brine. I will probably pull it out later and let it dry in the fridge overnight. I am currently making a giblet gravy without drippings. Taking the trailer over to my parents in the morning and I will cook over there and drink some Fresh Squeezed while I do so.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-22, 20:15

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:Chocolate creame would be gone tonight at the Wags house. Looks great.

Do you need to put the creame on then cut it, or does the creame bead to set?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 20:33

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Do you need to put the creame on then cut it, or does the creame bead to set?

the whipped cream I just add and cut it.....my sister (who requested the pie) likes it better than meringue

Just averted a disaster......lol....I let my 3yr old grandson lick the spatula earlier and I guess he liked the
chocolate. Snuck into the kitchen and did this.....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 BvXrkP7

Luckily I had a little bowl of extra filling stashed away in the fridge I can use for repairs.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-22, 20:35

Lol. Perfect. Great picture for when he’s older.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 20:35

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'll take the blueberry please.

I have a butterflied 23 lb bird in the brine. I will probably pull it out later and let it dry in the fridge overnight. I am currently making a giblet gravy without drippings. Taking the trailer over to my parents in the morning and I will cook over there and drink some Fresh Squeezed while I do so.

I keep trying to give pies away...;-)....someday.

I don't have an especially big crowd tomorrow - only 14 people - so it'll be less hectic than usual.

Are you smoking the bird? How long does that take?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 20:36

DWags wrote:Lol. Perfect. Great picture for when he’s older.

My daughter has pics of his hands/face - he's not a skilled thief.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-22, 20:39

First thought "that's a big bird to spatchcock" but makes sense with your trailer cook space.  Pecan chunks? Please post pics.

Kids are all on a cruise with the ex so shit-canned the idea of doing a turkey this year.   Doing 2# of king crab legs instead.  Completely forgot about them until putting the company turkey in the freezer on Monday.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 20:43

The Pantry wrote:

First thought "that's a big bird to spatchcock" but makes sense with your trailer cook space.  Pecan chunks? Please post pics.

Kids are all on a cruise with the ex so shit-canned the idea of doing a turkey this year.   Doing 2# of king crab legs instead.  Completely forgot about them until putting the company turkey in the freezer on Monday.

I used to prep Crab legs at the Pretzel Bell - 40# cases at a time. I hated all the people that came in for the special.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-22, 21:02

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

I used to prep Crab legs at the Pretzel Bell - 40# cases at a time. I hated all the people that came in for the special.
Went there a couple times but never for a crab leg special. Best food near South Complex.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-11-22, 21:04

I will let the temps soar. Probably put it on around 200 and expect it to be 400+ by the time I'm done. It should take probably 2.5-3 hours. I'm not going to use any wood actually. Just stubbs briqs. The smoke can be overpowering for the kids and those not used to it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-22, 21:20

Pecan smells as heavenly as cherry but is much lighter in flavor. Absolutely perfect for poultry, IMO. If I had any right now I'd offer you a couple chunks. Home Depot usually sells it in chunks.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-24, 09:55

Some cut pie pics....stellar photography as usual.

Blackberry
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 EAfPJcg

Chocolate Cream
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 LmIwVSI

Blueberry
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 9B6Ww7d
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-07, 22:06

I don't know if any of you ever watched the Great British Baking show but the American version premiered on ABC at 9pm - 2nd hour is just starting.

On that note....some oatmeal raisin cookies from last week:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 WMpft5x
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-12, 15:24

Traveling to the metropolis of Bay City tomorrow or Thursday so was checking to see what Kroger had on special......pretty good deal if you want something different for Christmas - Bone In RibEye roast for $6.99#, if you want more traditional they're selling their spiral sliced hams for $0.97# - both good deals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-12, 16:09

What is the grade of the rib roast? Choice? Not a bad deal.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-12, 16:32

I bought an InstantPot earlier this month. Been making chicken vindaloo in the thing that is to die for. Makes the kitchen smell incredible when I take the lid off.

Made a southern French dish in there that involves white beans, 3lbs of pork butt (a rare occassion where I cooked up pork and it was delicious), white whine, fennel, garlic, and all sorts of other pieces of goodness.

Also, I made a proper shepherd's pie this weekend. Spent two hours prepping it and it was the bomb.

Now that I own a house I'm way into cooking these days.

Goose, that blueberry pie you made looks incredible!!!!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-12, 17:24

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What is the grade of the rib roast? Choice? Not a bad deal.

Just checked and it says choice in the ad. We're doing a "just my kids" dinner here on Christmas day, how may #'s per person on a bone in roast?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-12, 17:25

steveschneider wrote:I bought an InstantPot earlier this month. Been making chicken vindaloo in the thing that is to die for. Makes the kitchen smell incredible when I take the lid off.

Made a southern French dish in there that involves white beans, 3lbs of pork butt (a rare occassion where I cooked up pork and it was delicious), white whine, fennel, garlic, and all sorts of other pieces of goodness.

Also, I made a proper shepherd's pie this weekend. Spent two hours prepping it and it was the bomb.

Thanks Steve!  As WBH will tell you, pies are pretty simple to make.   You should try a few because they do impress people.  '-)

I've eyeballed those InstaPots more than once but never bought one. Tell me more about the Vindaloo?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-12, 19:06

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I bought an InstantPot earlier this month. Been making chicken vindaloo in the thing that is to die for. Makes the kitchen smell incredible when I take the lid off.

Thanks Steve!  As WBH will tell you, pies are pretty simple to make.   You should try a few because they do impress people.  '-)

I've eyeballed those InstaPots more than once but never bought one. Tell me more about the Vindaloo?

Yeah, that's a great idea. Do you have a crust recipe you recommend?

This is the vindaloo recipe I've been making -

http://garammasalakitchen.com/chicken-vindaloo-in-instant-pot

If you like Indian food at all I recommend it. I approximate chili powder for the dried chilis, as my grocery store doesn't have any. We make it in the the instant pot then put the vindaloo on the burner, clean out the pot and make 2 cups of jasmati rice. I love it. Paired up with a good beer to take the heat off it's amazing. It does have a little bit of heat to it, but this recipe is nothing like the stuff in the restaurant.

I bought the Instantpot to make better rice and steam dried beans. The rice blows away anything I could make on the stove top. I'm probably going to try to make some yogurt with it soon.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-12, 19:24

steveschneider wrote:Yeah, that's a great idea. Do you have a crust recipe you recommend?

I had a rice cooker but my daughter swiped it, I really didn't use it enough. I know the instapots do a lot more. I'm sure if you can make yogurt in them you could make kefir, I used to love that when I could buy it from Calders.

I switched off using Lard since I'm not making as many pies lately. If you don't use the lard quickly enough it can turn a bit. I've gotten pretty lax in my old age and use this general recipe:

5C Flour
2C room temperature Butter

Old school you would cut those together with a pastry blender. I just throw them into my stand mixer and let it go on 2 or 3 for a while.

Once those are kind of blended

Add 2 Eggs
1 Tbs Sugar

1/2 C room temp water

Once the eggs are mixed in drizzle the water in, the dough will get damp - don't let it get wet.

Stop, roll it into a ball between base/soft ball size.
Flop it on some flour covered surface
Smash it flat to an inch of so, then start rolling.

When you get it large enough for your pie pan, fold it in half.

Put your pie pan next to it, unfold it over the pan then drag it into place.

This is enough crust for 4-5 crusts - so 2 fruit pies or 4 pies with bottom crust only.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-12, 19:39

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Yeah, that's a great idea. Do you have a crust recipe you recommend?

I had a rice cooker but my daughter swiped it, I really didn't use it enough. I know the instapots do a lot more. I'm sure if you can make yogurt in them you could make kefir, I used to love that when I could buy it from Calders.

I switched off using Lard since I'm not making as many pies lately. If you don't use the lard quickly enough it can turn a bit. I've gotten pretty lax in my old age and use this general recipe:

5C Flour
2C room temperature Butter

Old school you would cut those together with a pastry blender. I just throw them into my stand mixer and let it go on 2 or 3 for a while.

Once those are kind of blended

Add 2 Eggs
1 Tbs Sugar

1/2 C room temp water

Once the eggs are mixed in drizzle the water in, the dough will get damp - don't let it get wet.

Stop, roll it into a ball between base/soft ball size.
Flop it on some flour covered surface
Smash it flat to an inch of so, then start rolling.

When you get it large enough for your pie pan, fold it in half.

Put your pie pan next to it, unfold it over the pan then drag it into place.

This is enough crust for 4-5 crusts - so 2 fruit pies or 4 pies with bottom crust only.

Great post. I’ll make a pie and post a pic. Probably do so in the next 3 weeks. Traveling this weekend and the holiday will keep me out of the kitchen.

Meant to post above I add one diced potato to the pot for the vindaloo.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-12, 19:46

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What is the grade of the rib roast? Choice? Not a bad deal.

Just checked and it says choice in the ad. We're doing a "just my kids" dinner here on Christmas day, how may #'s per person on a bone in roast?

how many adults? kids? ages?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-12, 19:49

steveschneider wrote:
Great post. I’ll make a pie and post a pic. Probably do so in the next 3 weeks. Traveling this weekend and the holiday will keep me out of the kitchen.

Meant to post above I add one diced potato to the pot for the vindaloo.

You can find filling recipes all over the 'net but if you're using fruit like blueberries - I use a quart of berries, a cup of sugar and 3-4 Tbs of flour. Mix the flour and sugar then mix that into the berries. The flour thickens things up a bit. I know Kroger has Blueberries this week 2 pints for $4 so they're getting new ones in from somewhere.

Make sure you slit your top crust 4-5 times to vent it. Takes 45-60 minutes to cook up brown.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-13, 03:03

LooseGoose wrote:Traveling to the metropolis of Bay City tomorrow or Thursday so was checking to see what Kroger had on special......pretty good deal if you want something different for Christmas - Bone In RibEye roast for $6.99#, if you want more traditional they're selling their spiral sliced hams for $0.97# - both good deals.

Method X that rib roast.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-14, 00:18

Can we talk about deep frying a prime rib or will you hate me. I’ve been watching some video and think I’m ready to try it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-14, 21:23

I wasn't about to save the entire carcass but when I cut the back bone out of my turkey this year to butterfly it for cooking, I saved it and froze it. I decided to thaw it out a couple of days ago so I could make soup. It turned out really good.

I simmered it for about 2.5 hours in about 5-6 quarts of water with a yellow onion, some garlic, some thyme, rosemary, couple of bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, celery and carrot sticks and some salt.

On the side I made about 1 cup of barley and a cup of long grain wild rice. Strained the broth and picked the meat out of the back bone and back into the broth. Added some diced carrots from a can, fresh celery, the barley and the rice. I had to add a bit more salt and pepper to taste but it was a pretty big hit.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 39030649212_2349e1c4ee_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-14, 21:26

Looks and sounds great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-21, 17:01

No pictures today unless someone really needs to see them.....but just got done with 6 dozen of my Grandma's Christmas Iced Sugar cookies and 4 dozen Chocolate Chip cookies. Tomorrow is filled cookies, fruit cakes, Strawberry Rhubarb pie, Blueberry pie and custard pies. The old kitchenaid is getting a workout.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-21, 17:26

LooseGoose wrote:No pictures today unless someone really needs to see them.....but just got done with 6 dozen of my Grandma's Christmas Iced Sugar cookies and 4 dozen Chocolate Chip cookies. Tomorrow is filled cookies, fruit cakes, Strawberry Rhubarb pie, Blueberry pie and custard pies. The old kitchenaid is getting a workout.

Solid effort today.

What I mean is, I could never.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-23, 17:53

Made some fudge today, only second time ever. Think it went better. Pork roast in the smoker.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 Img_2011
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-23, 18:17

aualum06 wrote:Made some fudge today, only second time ever. Think it went better. Pork roast in the smoker.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 Img_2011

Did the recipe use marshmallow creme?

I'm making Peanut Butter fudge tomorrow, I've used a recipe with marshmallow creme. It's fairly easy and tastes good. So rich that it's really a once a year thing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-23, 18:19

Found a pic from last year....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 SKTWNr0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-23, 18:20

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Made some fudge today, only second time ever. Think it went better. Pork roast in the smoker.

Did the recipe use marshmallow creme?

I'm making Peanut Butter fudge tomorrow, I've used a recipe with marshmallow creme. It's fairly easy and tastes good. So rich that it's really a once a year thing.

Yes I use marshmallow cream and that is the worst stuff ever to fricken deal with it's sticky as hell. Easy recipe and make it in about 10 minutes.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-23, 19:39

Nice.  Looks great
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-23, 22:00

Working on this tonight.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 39223416522_b2dcfdf9bd

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 39251766611_d4429e121d

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 10 38544025694_f6d2a3e7df
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-23, 22:06

Loose, the dough was very sticky on me. It's just flour, cold butter chunks, a little bit of sugar and salt and cold water. When I did this a couple of times last year I didn't have this issue. Did I use too much water or was it because I was rolling it out on top of the running dishwasher?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-12-23, 22:09

Have a 4 bone rib roast ready to go and a green egg standing by.  What should I do with it?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-23, 22:15

The best method I have found (and I've done a ton of experimenting) is the serious eats method. You want to maximize the pink area - no grey around the exterior. Pink to the edges.

Cook it as low and slow as possible until it's about 10-15 degrees less than your desired serving temp. Pull it. Wrap it. Rest it for at least an hour. Blast it at 450-500 for 15 minutes before you serve it to get a good crust.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next