Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags 2018-06-14, 15:02

By the way, the last three months or so, I’m going with the Kroger butcher over Ninos. Fruit and produce has taken a step back though
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-06-14, 15:29

No lamb. I haven't taken delivery of the ceramic yet. I need to get that set up.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-14, 17:55

Very few grocers make lamb kabobs. Pisses me off.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-14, 21:56

The Pantry wrote:Very few grocers make lamb kabobs.  Pisses me off.

So, my best story of Lamb is my buddy, who is 100% greek.  His family has owned the Clawson steak house forever.   They'd always roast a whole lamb in April.  Anyway, they'd always do it at his house which is right next to the clawson steak house, then take it to the steak house and cut it up for the family party.  Well, one time their cousins in Columbus wanted the party.  Only fair.  Part of the family thing is gathering around the lamb while it's roasting and rotating and having a good time.  My friends would always have the whole lamb delivered to the Clawson steak house.  Not down there, they found in Columbus you could order a whole lamb to Kroger.   You just had to tell them when you wanted it and go get it.  They did.   He said the butcher shop was in the back of the store, and him and his cousin go in, grab the thing which is wrapped in a clear big bag and they're walking through the store with it to the check out counter.  One kid started crying and a lady screamed.  Not too funny, but if I had half a buzz on it would be pretty funny hauling one of those through a store going to the check out counter with it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-06-14, 22:08

Hell they have them hanging in the refrigerated cooler aisles in Costco. That is pretty funny, though.

Pantry, you should check this place out. I don't know if they have lamb kabobs but if anywhere does they might. This place is hilarious. I told my Dad, I've never been to the old country but when I stepped into this place I felt like I was in the old country. They definitely had whole lambs hanging in the back by the butcher.

https://goo.gl/maps/HPiknDGQFB42
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-06-14, 22:13

Today's kabob lunch in the first 2 pics. A prime strip steak I made for lunch the other day in the other one. That was tasty.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 42088788914_4379e7cc27
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 41905741715_3679595000

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 42042342184_02dd7b177e
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-14, 22:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Today's kabob lunch in the first 2 pics. A prime strip steak I made for lunch the other day in the other one. That was tasty.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 42088788914_4379e7cc27
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 41905741715_3679595000

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 42042342184_02dd7b177e

your lunches are way better than most of my dinners.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-06-14, 22:47

Pantry, try Saad down in Eastern Market.   You can pre order.   Halal meats.  They have Lamb. Their menu doesn't say lamb kabobs, only beef, but you can call and pre-order.  It's a pretty good deal.

Saad meats Halal

get some lamb brain

Disclaimer, I've only walked past it a while back.  But I recall some stories from my wife's friends that say it's  a good market/was a good market.   So, you're taking your own flyer here.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-06-15, 01:14

Find your local Halal grocery/meat shop and you will be set.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-15, 18:19

DWags wrote:

So, my best story of Lamb is my buddy, who is 100% greek.  His family has owned the Clawson steak house forever.   They'd always roast a whole lamb in April.  Anyway, they'd always do it at his house which is right next to the clawson steak house, then take it to the steak house and cut it up for the family party.  Well, one time their cousins in Columbus wanted the party.  Only fair.  Part of the family thing is gathering around the lamb while it's roasting and rotating and having a good time.  My friends would always have the whole lamb delivered to the Clawson steak house.  Not down there, they found in Columbus you could order a whole lamb to Kroger.   You just had to tell them when you wanted it and go get it.  They did.   He said the butcher shop was in the back of the store, and him and his cousin go in, grab the thing which is wrapped in a clear big bag and they're walking through the store with it to the check out counter.  One kid started crying and a lady screamed.  Not too funny, but if I had half a buzz on it would be pretty funny hauling one of those through a store going to the check out counter with it.
Did they own it when that chick that worked there flew her Yugo off the Mackinac Bridge?

Friend lived in Rochester Hills and had a pig roast every summer. He got tied up at work the one Friday and asked me to pick up the pig that afternoon. There use to be a slaughter house in Utica. Real shit hole that stunk like hell. Paid and pulled my car around to a side door. Hundreds of slaughtered pigs inside. Flies. Just fucking nasty. They wheelbarrowed out a pig wrapped in plastic and hoisted it in the hatch of my brand new Z-28. Was a nice day so I'd pulled off the T-tops and left them at my apartment. Got on M-59 and hit the gas. The plastic whipping in the wind was making so much noise couldn't hear the radio so I slowed down. Other vehicles started passing me. Some honked and were pointing and laughing. Others honked and gave me a thumbs up. Looked in the rearview mirror and saw four pig legs pointing straight up, no longer in the plastic wrap.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-15, 18:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Hell they have them hanging in the refrigerated cooler aisles in Costco. That is pretty funny, though.

Pantry, you should check this place out. I don't know if they have lamb kabobs but if anywhere does they might. This place is hilarious. I told my Dad, I've never been to the old country but when I stepped into this place I felt like I was in the old country. They definitely had whole lambs hanging in the back by the butcher.

https://goo.gl/maps/HPiknDGQFB42
Never heard of it. Will check out.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-15, 18:31

DWags wrote:Pantry, try Saad down in Eastern Market.   You can pre order.   Halal meats.  They have Lamb. Their menu doesn't say lamb kabobs, only beef, but you can call and pre-order.  It's a pretty good deal.

Saad meats Halal

get some lamb brain

Disclaimer, I've only walked past it a while back.  But I recall some stories from my wife's friends that say it's  a good market/was a good market.   So, you're taking your own flyer here.
Cooking for one, I've gotten too lazy to drive to Eastern Market.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-15, 18:36

pulling69 wrote:

Find your local Halal grocery/meat shop and you will be set.
Plenty of Halal meat shops around here. None of them you can walk into and get kabobs...lamb or otherwise.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-06-19, 17:40

Rice almond salad with chicken from Al Kabob (formerly Beirut Palace)...$8.  Delicious. Could only eat maybe a third at lunch...the rest is lunch tomorrow.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 20180610
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-02, 12:07

This morning's project The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 Bread10
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-05, 20:26

Got the primo today from my boy zippy. Had to give it a run for dinner. I bought a little strip steak since I'm on a calorie count. It slammed and went hard.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 41414141510_43ee9e6f6d

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 41414150260_310d5402d8_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 43174915352_96667b29fe_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-05, 21:39

Very, very nice.

Any particular reason you went with Primo instead of BGE?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-05, 21:48

I've heard very, very good things about the primo over the years. I have no idea what a BGE costs but I know the Primo that I got costs anywhere from $850-$950 new and I chose it over the BGE because I got it brand new for $500.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-05, 21:59

aualum06 wrote:This morning's project The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 Bread10
Looks good. Were you satisfied with the results?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-05, 22:07

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:This morning's project The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 Bread10
Looks good. Were you satisfied with the results?

It's a little dry and a lot crumbly but it tastes pretty good
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-05, 22:15

aualum06 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Looks good. Were you satisfied with the results?

Something I could never master. Looks good and would look great with a little more rise.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-05, 22:19

Are you guys using the right flour? High quality stuff? (King Arthur)

I've been experimenting with some of my pizza crusts and I get a much better result for Detroit style with a bread flour or a self rising KA flour than I do with All purpose, for example.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-05, 22:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Are you guys using the right flour? High quality stuff? (King Arthur)

I've been experimenting with some of my pizza crusts and I get a much better result for Detroit style with a bread flour or a self rising KA flour than I do with All purpose, for example.

This was just all purpose but flour would be the first thing I would change as I know they have bread flour out there
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-05, 22:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've heard very, very good things about the primo over the years. I have no idea what a BGE costs but I know the Primo that I got costs anywhere from $850-$950 new and I chose it over the BGE because I got it brand new for $500.

Why is it so good? Meat looks incredible, but why can’t I replicate that on my charbroil gas grill? Keeps the heat perfectly. So sell me one. I’m actually thinking of smoking a brisket on my gas grill for 20 hours. I think I can do it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-05, 22:59

aualum06 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Looks good. Were you satisfied with the results?

My mom made bread. Was excellent warm out of the oven with a light smear of butter. Wish I had her recipe.

Never made bread. Nothing better than a powerful sourdough.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-05, 23:00

I don't know Wags, I don't think these are great things yet or anything I couldn't really replicate on my WSMs or gas grill but the opportunity presented itself and it was a good price so I pounced. 

The selling point is that the ceramic allows you to cook very, very hot (got it up over 700 degrees within 20 minutes of lighting the lump) so it's great for searing steaks or cooking pizza for example. Additionally the ceramic holds heat really well so apparently if you want to smoke on it you can hold temps in the ~ 250 range for like 24 hours. I doubt I will use it for smoking much, I am used to my WSMs and my trailer and don't think I will want to dirty thins thing up. I think mostly steaks and pizzas. It's supposed to be able to get up north of 1000 degrees.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-07-06, 00:10

You’re going to hate me for this but I am going to be honest. I feel like you undercook your meat, wbh.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-06, 00:33

Rocinante wrote:You’re going to hate me for this but I am going to be honest. I feel like you undercook your meat, wbh.
You're just plain silly with your notions. That steak could have been ground to make a fine tartare and never seen heat at all.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-06, 00:39

Rocinante wrote:You’re going to hate me for this but I am going to be honest.  I feel like you undercook your meat, wbh.
I'm not gonna kill you for it. I like it on the rare side of rare. You're gonna lose me if you want it over medium but I can certainly understand your view.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-06, 07:10

The Pantry wrote:
Rocinante wrote:You’re going to hate me for this but I am going to be honest. I feel like you undercook your meat, wbh.
You're just plain silly with your notions. That steak could have been ground to make a fine tartare and never seen heat at all.

Gentle now - Roc is working at getting in touch with his inner true carnivore.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-06, 09:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't know Wags, I don't think these are great things yet or anything I couldn't really replicate on my WSMs or gas grill but the opportunity presented itself and it was a good price so I pounced. 

The selling point is that the ceramic allows you to cook very, very hot (got it up over 700 degrees within 20 minutes of lighting the lump) so it's great for searing steaks or cooking pizza for example. Additionally the ceramic holds heat really well so apparently if you want to smoke on it you can hold temps in the ~ 250 range for like 24 hours. I doubt I will use it for smoking much, I am used to my WSMs and my trailer and don't think I will want to dirty thins thing up. I think mostly steaks and pizzas. It's supposed to be able to get up north of 1000 degrees.
You made the switch to lump?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-06, 10:08

Just for the ceramic. I will stick to my briquettes and wood for smoking on my other cookers.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-07-06, 10:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Rocinante wrote:You’re going to hate me for this but I am going to be honest.  I feel like you undercook your meat, wbh.
I'm not gonna kill you for it. I like it on the rare side of rare. You're gonna lose me if you want it over medium but I can certainly understand your view.

I like medium rare, more toward medium. I never get over medium. We agree there. My issue with very rare meat is more texture related than taste.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2018-07-06, 10:27

Anything past medium rare is pure blasphemy!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-06, 10:37

Also fwiw the longer the inside of the steak is exposed to air the more pink/red it becomes. When I pulled that one it was 125+ in the thick part and 145+ in the thin part. I rotated it to get the thin end out of the fire as much as possible but that grill is so hot I don't think it mattered much.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-07-06, 15:33

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 DhFPLUzX0AE4kEp

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 17 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-07, 15:41

Anyone thinking of trying a pie or cobbler Meijer is going to have locally grown Blueberries 4 pints for $5 starting tomorrow - that's as fine a price as you'll get all summer.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-07, 15:45

LooseGoose wrote:Anyone thinking of trying a pie or cobbler Meijer is going to have locally grown Blueberries 4 pints for $5 starting tomorrow - that's as fine a price as you'll get all summer.

State wide?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-07, 16:14

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Anyone thinking of trying a pie or cobbler Meijer is going to have locally grown Blueberries 4 pints for $5 starting tomorrow - that's as fine a price as you'll get all summer.

State wide?

I changed my store to Van Dyke and 15 mile and it still showed that price so I think so.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-07, 18:11

Just in case anyone heads to that Meijer it is actually at 16 & VD. Also, construction on Mound Rd has started so you might want to avoid it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next