Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-12-23, 22:35

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The best method I have found (and I've done a ton of experimenting) is the serious eats method. You want to maximize the pink area - no grey around the exterior. Pink to the edges.

Cook it as low and slow as possible until it's about 10-15 degrees less than your desired serving temp. Pull it. Wrap it. Rest it for at least an hour. Blast it at 450-500 for 15 minutes before you serve it to get a good crust.

Am going to do this.  Thanks!
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest 2017-12-23, 22:42

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Loose, the dough was very sticky on me. It's just flour, cold butter chunks, a little bit of sugar and salt and cold water. When I did this a couple of times last year I didn't have this issue. Did I use too much water or was it because I was rolling it out on top of the running dishwasher?

Usually I cure too sticky with more flour. Could be too warm or could be too much liquid but flour seems to solve either one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-23, 22:43

SeeRockCity wrote:Have a 4 bone rib roast ready to go and a green egg standing by.  What should I do with it?

Method X that shit in the oven instead?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-23, 22:45

Your Apple filling looks good. Got cinnamon in there? I'm off to bed, got pies and fudge to do tomorrow. First festivities up here tomorrow night and then Santa is arriving here for the grandkids. Lol - I think they want me to deal with the mess.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-23, 22:49

Yeah I was looking for 2 tbsp of cinnamon and I ran out at about 1.5. I had a shaker of something called Cinnamon and Sugar so I used a bit more of that to fill the rest. We'll see how it goes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-24, 07:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah I was looking for 2 tbsp of cinnamon and I ran out at about 1.5. I had a shaker of something called Cinnamon and Sugar so I used a bit more of that to fill the rest. We'll see how it goes.

That should work fine....usually a topping but should flavor the filling well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-24, 14:58

1 pound Velveeta original
1 pound ground beef
1 can Rotel original diced Chili's and tomatoes

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_2012

aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-24, 16:18

Simple but delicious ^^

Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-24, 22:07

aualum06 wrote:1 pound Velveeta original
1 pound ground beef
1 can Rotel original diced Chili's and tomatoes

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_2012

Damn, well done.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-24, 22:38

Got some holiday murder up in here. cheers
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-24, 23:17

TN your new avi is going to make Nordic go inter super rage hulk mode. Not because Fox News but because size.

I just trimmed up a 6.5 lb beef tenderloin. Looks like we're going center cut only. My asshole kids are still up. I still have to play Santa tonight and deliver presents under the tree, get rid of the fuckin reindeer food they left out, plow my and my next door neighbor's drive and eat some milk and cookies.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-24, 23:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:TN your new avi is going to make Nordic go inter super rage hulk mode. Not because Fox News but because size.

I just trimmed up a 6.5 lb beef tenderloin. Looks like we're going center cut only. My asshole kids are still up. I still have to play Santa tonight and deliver presents under the tree, get rid of the fuckin reindeer food they left out, plow my and my next door neighbor's drive and eat some milk and cookies.

Did, slow down and take it in. You’ll actually miss that someday.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-24, 23:29

Oh, I took it in...all day baby. And most of the night. I even went to fuckin' church. I do appreciate the perspective check, though.

Hey let me ask you guys something about church (Catholic). Every single person walks away from communion with their hands clasped. WTF is that? Are they taught to do that?

My daughter slept in my arms during mass. Don't need to find Baby Jebus, I've already made it.

Also another funny thing. I don't take communion obviously. I'm not Catholic. But I have witnessed this whole thing at least once or twice a year for a lot of years now. I know the process by now. So I was kind of chuckling when a teenager came out of communion line still holding the body of Christ (could not tell if he was special needs or not - doesn't really matter, I would have chuckled either way). I thought that was funny enough on its own, but then this old dude one row over to my left....I mean honestly he was fuckin' old. Big guy. But had to be in his mid 80's....sees the same thing, steps out into the aisle and tells the kid straight up - no. You must eat that. Put it in your mouth now.

Eating flavorless wafers. Serious business.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-24, 23:51

Which one of you assbags is from Cheyenne, WY? Was reminded of a story this week from our cross country drive from Hawaii to MI back in the late 80s...stopped in Cheyenne one night and for dinner went to some restaurant that I now recall featured waitresses in low cut almost Playboy bunny attire and featured a giant hot fudge sundae for dessert that was supposed to be for like 4 people. My dad and I took one down with authority....Does that place ring a bell?
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-25, 00:03

pulling69 wrote:Which one of you assbags is from Cheyenne, WY? Was reminded of a story this week from our cross country drive from Hawaii to MI back in the late 80s...stopped in Cheyenne one night and for dinner went to some restaurant that I now recall featured waitresses in low cut almost Playboy bunny attire and featured a giant hot fudge sundae for dessert that was supposed to be for like 4 people. My dad and I took one down with authority....Does that place ring a bell?

Sounds like a reason to visit Wyoming
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-25, 00:13

aualum06 wrote:
pulling69 wrote:Which one of you assbags is from Cheyenne, WY? Was reminded of a story this week from our cross country drive from Hawaii to MI back in the late 80s...stopped in Cheyenne one night and for dinner went to some restaurant that I now recall featured waitresses in low cut almost Playboy bunny attire and featured a giant hot fudge sundae for dessert that was supposed to be for like 4 people. My dad and I took one down with authority....Does that place ring a bell?

Sounds like a reason to visit Wyoming

I liked WY way more than Nebraska, WY we got to see some missile silos driving around the Air Force Base. We spent the next night in North Platte, Nebraska and I was constipated something fierce. When I finally dropped a deuce it required a plunger, I do remember that. Come to think of it maybe that giant sundae fucked me up.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-25, 00:14

That’s a hell of a drive.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-25, 00:49

DWags wrote:

Hawaii to MI? Yeah. The worst part was driving from HI to Cali....The entire trip was an experience....Non AC car with 4 of us and our 2 cats, spent 2 weeks in a small town in Cali after some dude hit our car and waited for him to pay us off. Spent I think 2 months driving across to MI with a few nights in Fallon, NV to catch up with old Navy buddies of my dad(first place I ever saw a Stealth fighter(years before they officially existed), days in CO to finally see snow and ride some steam trains, etc. It was almost like being the fucking Griswalds.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-25, 00:54

pulling69 wrote:
DWags wrote:

Hawaii to MI? Yeah. The worst part was driving from HI to Cali....The entire trip was an experience....Non AC car with 4 of us and our 2 cats, spent 2 weeks in a small town in Cali after some dude hit our car and waited for him to pay us off. Spent I think 2 months driving across to MI with a few nights in Fallon, NV to catch up with old Navy buddies of my dad(first place I ever saw a Stealth fighter(years before they officially existed), days in CO to finally see snow and ride some steam trains, etc. It was almost like being the fucking Griswalds.

No I was talking about driving through Cheyenne. That place is fucking outlaw.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-25, 00:55

the apple pie was really good
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-12-25, 01:08

DWags wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

No I was talking about driving through Cheyenne. That place is fucking outlaw.

Meh, like I said my only recollections of that place are missile silos, a giant sundae, and skanky waitresses at some random restaurant that if it still exists I would like to revisit.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 02:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:the apple pie was really good

I meant to ask if you got the crust squared.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the body of Gala.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2017-12-25, 14:30

Made the poppers yesterday, just for the fun of seeing how many would not be able to overcome the temptation of cream cheese and bacon only to suffer the sting of the peppers.  

I was not dissapointed.

The sweet combination of heaven and hell.  Christmas in a nutshell.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 15:07

SeeRockCity wrote:Made the poppers yesterday, just for the fun of seeing how many would not be able to overcome the temptation of cream cheese and bacon only to suffer the sting of the peppers.  

I was not dissapointed.

The sweet combination of heaven and hell.  Christmas in a nutshell.

I mentioned those to my kids today, they want me to make some for all of them to try. Good to see another endorsement of them.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 15:15

Once again showcasing my mad camera skillz.....

The custard:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 VC5soKN

Filled cookie and pumpkin pie
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 LFyBu9T

Iced Sugar Cookies, and the filled cookie/pumpkin appear again with a fruit cake hiding in the ziploc on the right.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 2OSpxK7
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-25, 15:34

The fudge is a big hit today. Didn't put it in the fridge this time so it's nice and soft.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 15:49

aualum06 wrote:The fudge is a big hit today. Didn't put it in the fridge this time so it's nice and soft.

This reminds me, I forgot to do fudge. God I'm getting old. Had company during the pie making, got distracted and never thought of it again.

Glad to hear they liked it. I should try the softening if it holds up well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-12-25, 15:51

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:The fudge is a big hit today. Didn't put it in the fridge this time so it's nice and soft.

got distracted

Code for “lit a couple of bowls.”
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-25, 15:54

LooseGoose wrote:

This reminds me, I forgot to do fudge. God I'm getting old. Had company during the pie making, got distracted and never thought of it again.

Do you make kolachis? I can't remember if I've asked you in this thread or not. My grandma makes them without the walnuts and they are so good.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 16:00

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Do you make kolachis? I can't remember if I've asked you in this thread or not. My grandma makes them without the walnuts and they are so good.

I had to go look them up - nope. Maybe something else to try. My DiL brought some home made candies here today from someone at work. Chocolate with like a dimple pushed in the top filled with a maple flavored filling. They looked something like a chestnut. Damned good, I've never made much candy so I asked to try and find out what they're called.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-25, 16:02

They looked like this sorta......but these are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Dsc_7460
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-25, 16:04

LooseGoose wrote:They looked like this sorta......but these are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Dsc_7460

Used to work with a woman who'd make those every Christmas and bring them in to work. So good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-25, 16:16

LooseGoose wrote:They looked like this sorta......but these are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.

We have these here today as well. Fatness
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-25, 20:59

SeeRockCity wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The best method I have found (and I've done a ton of experimenting) is the serious eats method. You want to maximize the pink area - no grey around the exterior. Pink to the edges.

Cook it as low and slow as possible until it's about 10-15 degrees less than your desired serving temp. Pull it. Wrap it. Rest it for at least an hour. Blast it at 450-500 for 15 minutes before you serve it to get a good crust.

Am going to do this.  Thanks!

I tried this today with my center cut beef tenderloin. I knew we would be eating across town at my parents around 3:30 but I didn't know what time we would get there and how long it would take so I started cooking it super low at home at 10. It got to 110 in about 45 minutes so I knew this was going to be tricky to pull off. I wrapped it and put it in a small cooler at that point and put it in my mom's oven at 225 about 45 minutes before we were eating. It was slow coming up to temp and I had to blast it on all sides under the broiler longer than I wanted so my pink area started to erode. It wasn't perfect but it turned out pretty good and a solid mr with a lean towards r in the center. I doused it in a bath of brown butter and fresh thyme before the sear.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 39269856862_bc942e9831_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 39269861682_c35f34ea70_z

How did it go for you SRC
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-12-26, 00:03

All that stuff looks damn good. Hope you guys had a great Christmas.

I ate some Carolina Reaper/capsaicin extract today so my day was pretty much ruined. My family thinks i'm a badass though so that's good i guess
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by keanro 2017-12-26, 03:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I tried this today with my center cut beef tenderloin. I knew we would be eating across town at my parents around 3:30 but I didn't know what time we would get there and how long it would take so I started cooking it super low at home at 10. It got to 110 in about 45 minutes so I knew this was going to be tricky to pull off. I wrapped it and put it in a small cooler at that point and put it in my mom's oven at 225 about 45 minutes before we were eating. It was slow coming up to temp and I had to blast it on all sides under the broiler longer than I wanted so my pink area started to erode. It wasn't perfect but it turned out pretty good and a solid mr with a lean towards r in the center. I doused it in a bath of brown butter and fresh thyme before the sear.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 39269856862_bc942e9831_z

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 39269861682_c35f34ea70_z

How did it go for you SRC

Looks delicious. Now I'm hungry again!
keanro
keanro
Spartiate

http://4wheelonline.com/kumho-tires.223939

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-12-31, 18:38

Made some Red beans and rice with the last remnants of the Christmas ham tonight......

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 IHftfXw

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 OwMCoyx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-12-31, 20:05

Cooked the ribs to long. Still good but a little dry.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-12-31, 21:36

LooseGoose wrote:Made some Red beans and rice with the last remnants of the Christmas ham tonight......

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 IHftfXw

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 OwMCoyx
Looks good. Usually make split pea soup with leftover ham.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-12-31, 21:41

aualum06 wrote:Cooked the ribs to long. Still good but a little dry.
How long and how hot?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next