Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags 2018-07-07, 18:19

The Pantry wrote:Just in case anyone heads to that Meijer it is actually at 16 & VD. Also, construction on Mound Rd has started so you might want to avoid it.

Mine is 13 and little Mack. I’m hitting it up. And you’re probably both right. The address is 36600 Vandyke.

You take the first two digits 36. Subtract 5 and divide by 2. Gives you 15 1/2. The 600 probably puts it closer to 16. It’s the old truckers trick. First two digits subtract 5 divide by 2 gives you “about” the mile road.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Guest 2018-07-07, 18:51

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Just in case anyone heads to that Meijer it is actually at 16 & VD. Also, construction on Mound Rd has started so you might want to avoid it.

Mine is 13 and little Mack. I’m hitting it up. And you’re probably both right. The address is 36600 Vandyke.

You take the first two digits 36. Subtract 5 and divide by 2. Gives you 15 1/2. The 600 probably puts it closer to 16. It’s the old truckers trick. First two digits subtract 5 divide by 2 gives you “about” the mile road.

lol, that's why I guessed 15...I learned that one when I lived in the D 30 years ago. From memory I thought the Meijer on VD was at 14 mile but I must be getting addled in my old age.

If you go they also have chicken thighs for $0.87#, my daughter did some of those on the grill last week and they were mighty tasty. More flavor and moisture than breasts.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-07, 19:31

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

lol, that's why I guessed 15...I learned that one when I lived in the D 30 years ago. From memory I thought the Meijer on VD was at 14 mile but I must be getting addled in my old age.

If you go they also have chicken thighs for $0.87#, my daughter did some of those on the grill last week and they were mighty tasty. More flavor and moisture than breasts.

14 & VD is a Walmart. Same complex as the church I pick up milk.

Thighs >>>>> Breasts
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-08, 19:02

Attempt #2. Slightly different recipe.Less flour, lower bake time and temp. Used king aurthur bread flour thanks for the recommendation seemed to work much better. Rolls got bigger than I wanted but this seems more moist and less crumbly.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Img_2010
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-08, 19:21

aualum06 wrote:Attempt #2. Slightly different recipe.Less flour, lower bake time and temp. Used king aurthur bread flour thanks for the recommendation seemed to work much better. Rolls got bigger than I wanted but this seems more moist and less crumbly.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Img_2010

The rolls look good. Next to smoke a butt for them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-09, 20:48

Made a fruit salad today that turned out mighty tasty.

2#'s strawberries quartered
2 pints Blueberries
2 medium bananas sliced.
50-60 grapes halved
2 cups Peach yogurt
1 Tub of CoolWhip

Gently mixed/folded together until uniform.
Works out to about 180 calories for a nice serving.
I'll snap a pic later.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-09, 21:11

LooseGoose wrote:Made a fruit salad today that turned out mighty tasty.

2 pints Blueberries
2 medium bananas sliced.
50-60 grapes halved
2 cups Peach yogurt
1 Tub of CoolWhip

I'll snap a pic later.

Apparently going blueberry picking Friday. nothing better than throwing them in a bowl with milk and sugar.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-09, 21:33

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Made a fruit salad today that turned out mighty tasty.

2 pints Blueberries
2 medium bananas sliced.
50-60 grapes halved
2 cups Peach yogurt
1 Tub of CoolWhip

I'll snap a pic later.

Apparently going blueberry picking Friday. nothing better than throwing them in a bowl with milk and sugar.

Where at? I might hit up some just east of Saugatuck. Hudsonville area.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-09, 21:39

Work ordered catering delivery from Dickey's BBQ (Van Dyke) today. My first time trying it. Pulled pork, sausage, turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and cole slaw. Tried all but the pork (looked really dry) and slaw (excessive mayonnaise).

Everything I tried was exceptionally salty. They could have cut the salt in half and it still would have been too salty. Little wonder the Dickey's location in Troy went out of business.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-09, 22:00

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Where at? I might hit up some just east of Saugatuck. Hudsonville area.

Some place over by Merrill. I've been there once it's a nice place
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-09, 22:36

Dickey's is disgusting.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-11, 13:22

The fruit salad a couple days in - it's kept well and the flavor may have improved a bit.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Fruits10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-13, 12:37

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Img_2011
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-17, 20:53

Ordered the Chicken Cream Chop (no idea why it's called that) lunch special at Al Kabob for the first time today. Have ordered the dish (breaded and deep fried) from a local Iraqi restaurant before and it was excellent...perfectly cooked and juicy.

Al Kabob's version was highly disappointing. First thing I've tried there that wasn't great. Chicken was pounded way too thin to be in the fryer as long as it was. Overly dark color and tasted burnt. Tried to eat it but had to stop because it was unpalatable, even after dipping in their delicious hommous. The leftovers.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Al_kab10

Stopped by there on the way home after work and politely told them what I've said here. The young guy (early 20's) behind the counter was there when I picked up my order at lunch. He explained they have to make sure the chicken is cooked. He's seen me in there countless times. I asked for a beef kabob. He charged me for it.

Will be a little while before I go back there but will be having a chat with the owner when I do. He was there when I picked up lunch but not after work. He knows I'm a loyal customer, as well as some of my co-workers. He has personally delivered large catering orders to our place of business. He has made me stuff (raw kibbee, lamb burgers) that are no longer on his menu since he diverged from Beirut Palace.

Will be giving him advice on chicken cream chops. Thicker chicken, less breading, and don't overcook. He needs to try competitors.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-22, 21:18

Another recommendation for any of you bouncing around up north. If you happen to find yourself in the hamlet of Comins stop at the Knot Hole bar and order a smelt basket.

Had one Friday and it was like I was transported back to the beaches of Lake Huron 35-40 years ago. I'd nearly forgotten how tasty those little devils could be.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-07-22, 23:06

LooseGoose wrote:Another recommendation for any of you bouncing around up north. If you happen to find yourself in the hamlet of Comins stop at the Knot Hole bar and order a smelt basket.

Had one Friday and it was like I was transported back to the beaches of Lake Huron 35-40 years ago. I'd nearly forgotten how tasty those little devils could be.

Damn. U made me smell my parents house just now. Lived the smelt dinners. Smell stayed in the house three days.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-23, 18:52

Just acquired 4 quarts of freshly picked Raspberries. Going to freeze most of them but make one treat before I do. Nominations? A pie? A cobbler? Something else?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-23, 19:17

Goose. When's your UP trip including the Keweenaw?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-23, 19:24

The Pantry wrote:Goose. When's your UP trip including the Keweenaw?

Scheduled to leave Aug 10th, return on the 19th or 20th. I've got this baby planned out better than the Schlieffen Plan.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-23, 19:25

LooseGoose wrote:

Scheduled to leave Aug 10th, return on the 19th or 20th. I've got this baby planned out better than the Schlieffen Plan.

Goose tell it to stop raining
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-23, 19:47

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Sorry man. Are you on your trip to StraitsSP?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-23, 19:51

LooseGoose wrote:

You might be there in time for the end of thimbleberry season. Ever pick them? My mom was an expert spotting the plants on the side of the road. Plants maybe 4-5' tall with large maple leaf looking leaves. Unlike raspberries, no thorns on the stems. She made awesome jam with them.

Sis's 66th birthday coming up this week. She and her family moved to NC 20 years ago. Sending her 3 jars of thimbleberry jam from The Jampot. There is no better jam on the planet.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-07-23, 19:57

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Sorry man. Are you on your trip to StraitsSP?

Otsego lake. Did the straights in June.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-23, 19:57

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

You might be there in time for the end of thimbleberry season. Ever pick them? My mom was an expert spotting the plants on the side of the road. Plants maybe 4-5' tall with large maple leaf looking leaves. Unlike raspberries, no thorns on the stems. She made awesome jam with them.

Sis's 66th birthday coming up this week. She and her family moved to NC 20 years ago. Sending her 3 jars of thimbleberry jam from The Jampot. There is no better jam on the planet.

I'll have to look the plants up. I've read of the JamPot, we might get by there. I'm going to move the rest of this to a trip thread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-23, 20:18

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You might be there in time for the end of thimbleberry season. Ever pick them? My mom was an expert spotting the plants on the side of the road. Plants maybe 4-5' tall with large maple leaf looking leaves. Unlike raspberries, no thorns on the stems. She made awesome jam with them.

I'll have to look the plants up. I've read of the JamPot, we might get by there. I'm going to move the rest of this to a trip thread.
The Jampot also sells excellent fresh baked goods. Given your proclivities, I'd call it a must-visit.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-26, 19:04

Finally got to the Raspberries today. Decided since I had some other fruit to use and a couple of old brownie mixes to make triple berry brownies. So...

Start with a quart of raspberries:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Berry110

Added a pint of blueberries and a # of quartered strawberries:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Berry210

Mixed a milk chocolate brownie mix and poured the fruit over it:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Berry310

Then a dark chocolate brownie mix over all of it:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Berry510

And how it looked out of the oven:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Berry610

Now cooling and giving it until tomorrow for the flavors to blend

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-27, 22:58

Son took me to dinner at Kona Grill for my birthday.   Place is awesome.  Food and service are excellent.  Surprised they don't have more locations.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 18 Kona10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-27, 23:51

I like Kona. Kids not so much. More of a date place for wife and I.

P have you tried Sapporo yet?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-28, 00:49

Thought about Sapporo but checked the menu online. Looks good but doesn't appear to have many sushi/sashimi options. Am I missing something?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-07-28, 10:02

The Pantry wrote:Thought about Sapporo but checked the menu online. Looks good but doesn't appear to have many sushi/sashimi options. Am I missing something?

Probably their sushi menu. I think their website is one of those templated sites and it probably only has their standard lunch/dinner menu. Here is the full menu including sushi options.

https://www.callrc.com/order/restaurant/sapporo-menu/541
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-07-28, 10:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thought about Sapporo but checked the menu online. Looks good but doesn't appear to have many sushi/sashimi options. Am I missing something?

Probably their sushi menu. I think their website is one of those templated sites and it probably only has their standard lunch/dinner menu. Here is the full menu including sushi options.

That place sucks - they won't deliver here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-28, 14:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Thanks. Why the hell don't they have that menu on their restaurant website? Bookmarked. Will check it out soon.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-07-28, 14:36

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

That place sucks - they won't deliver here.
The price you pay for living in the sticks...

Kona Grill
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-08-01, 21:01

You ever just say fuck it and eat hummus out of the container with a spoon instead of pita chips or whatever? Highly recommended based on my experience right now.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-01, 21:26

Floyd Robertson wrote:You ever just say fuck it and eat hummus out of the container with a spoon instead of pita chips or whatever? Highly recommended based on my experience right now.

Yeah when I get that once every five year craving for hummus.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-03, 18:33

Bought a couple Honey Rock melons from a farm stand today. Had one for dinner. My god, just the peak of ripeness. A perfect melon....and you can only get them in this state for about 2 weeks then it's back to the supermarket crap
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-08-03, 18:33

Perfect melons.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-03, 21:02

I enjoy the Great British Baking Show....on PBS right now with the biscuit show if you're killing time until the Tigers start.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-08-03, 21:12

I’m on dinners drive in and drives. They’re at a fusion restaurant in Chicago that combines Asian and Latin. Looks great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-08-03, 21:18

DWags wrote:I’m on dinners drive in and drives. They’re at a fusion restaurant in Chicago that combines Asian and Latin. Looks great.

I like that show too.....I try to watch these when I'm not smoking, otherwise I get powerful munchies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next